Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Lumbermouth posted:

Oh neat, you can retroactively pay for the ones that have already been released for free! Loved the new Matt Braunger, wanna make sure he gets paid.

Of the stuff that is currently on 800lb gorilla's front page, Kelsey Cook, Posehn, Kinane, Braunholer and Braunger are all worth your time, and I'd bet Billy Wayne Davis' is good too cause he rules. Haven't seen the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Oh, poo poo, I didn't realize Stuart Goldsmith's new one was done through 800 Pound Gorilla! I'll have to check that out after watching the new Kinane special.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

And here's the Kinane special on YouTube. Watched it last night, it's great. Can't wait for the extended album version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWR4AMqfTNA

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

blast0rama posted:

And here's the Kinane special on YouTube. Watched it last night, it's great. Can't wait for the extended album version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWR4AMqfTNA

cmon man dont doxx my pillow

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
A buddy just sent me this and I'm glad I didn't put it on my phone while I was at work. I just got home and I'm hoping my laughter doesn't wake my roommates. I think this guy is one to look out for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbTe4dtyDV4

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Mister Speaker posted:

Big Jay Oakerson special
That entire crew from The Stand are a bunch of unrepentant scumbags. Some of them are also very good at comedy.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Remulak posted:

That entire crew from The Stand are a bunch of unrepentant scumbags. Some of them are also very good at comedy.

I love Jay and Soder, Ari has his moments, Luis and Dave I kinda want to punch in the face a few million times. Bobby Kelly/Joe List and all the other heads are disgustingly good comics

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Maria Bamford has a book out later this year

https://www.amazon.ca/Sure-Ill-Join...ps%2C133&sr=8-1

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Mulaney's new special on thepiratebayNetflix is expectedly hilarious. It's got really slick production design too, including a weird title card that comes up later in the show than you'd expect with a bizarre musical number by David Byrne.

But it's got some seriously creative camerawork that legitimately has me wondering how it was done. I see this in a lot of modern standup but it's really pronounced in this one: apparently very close shots that sometimes rotate around him to show the audience. I know the obvious way this must be done is to just have a camera operator around and creatively edit takes from different showings together so you don't see them, but it's really seamless, like strikingly so - all of John's gestures and even stage blocking appear identical. As a matter of fact, I can't see a camera or camera operator anywhere in the venue.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Drone?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That would have been my second guess but I would think any drone carrying a quality 4K camera would be way to loud to edit around even with a spectral editing tool like iZoTope.

Plus, again I can't see a drat thing. I think it definitely is just multiple performances cut together traditionally, but drat if it isn't one of the most smooth cuts I've ever seen. And yeah, the production designers went to great length to hide every camera in the place.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
You can’t run drones heavy enough to carry a real camera over people, so that wasn’t it.

Haven’t seen it yet, but my wife is NOT gonna watch it, lol. Ironically Munn is the only B-or-better-level celeb we’ve both talked with in the last decade, mainly because she would host literally anything (technical Emmys and Oscars in our case).

In another case Mulaney’s dick.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 27, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
How big is it?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
New Bobcat album is really fun

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
new Mulaney special is really good

Remulak posted:

That entire crew from The Stand are a bunch of unrepentant scumbags.

Might I ask for specifics?

DefensiveLockout
Feb 18, 2022
Just saw Taylor Tomlinson in San Diego. Clearly prepping new special, hitting some crowd work
3 of 3 shows this weekend, solid act.

mousetrench
Apr 3, 2008

We need to paint inspirational murals in urban areas.
They got one here of a hotdog stabbin Ghandi while he's sittin on the toilet cryin.
It says "may ur dreams soar forever...."
I'm not really a stand up fan, but I decided to listen to a bunch of stand up specials for awhile while driving/etc just to mix it up. My selection of specials has been pretty arbitrary, just stuff that came up in youtube searches and such. Thoughts so far:

Mark Normand - Don't Be Yourself (2017)
Not bad. Decent writing, delivery a bit stiff.
My Rating: B-

Big Jay Oakerson - Dog Belly (2023)
Very slow paced, weirdly non-chalant energy. Didn't make me groan or cringe or find anything to actively hate, just boring.
My Rating: D+

Ari Shaffir - JEW (2022)
I don't like Ari Shaffir, but this was pretty good. I liked the religion material a lot, and while some bits were on the cringe side, it was enjoyable overall
My Rating: B+

Bryan Callen - Man Tears (2023)
I don't like Bryan Callen and this was very bad. One good joke, but mostly unfunny and stupid.
My Rating: D

Kyle Kinase - Shocks & Struts (2022)
Nothing to actively hate, but I couldn't connect with this or find it engaging at all.
My Rating: C-

Shane Gillis - Live in Austin (2022)
I enjoyed the family stories. The Trump stuff is played out, but some of it was still funny. Some bits were annoying.
My Rating: B-

Hannibal Burris - Animal Furnace (2012)
Very charismatic. Pretty good material. I enjoyed it.
My Rating: B+

Tom Papa - What a Day! (2022)
It had a couple funny stories, but most of it was very bland and didn't do much for me.
My Rating: C+

Andrew Shultz - Infamous (2022)
Terrible. So stupid.
My Rating: F

Matt Rife - Only Fans (2021)
The highs were high (I enjoyed the oujia boad story), but much of it was annoying.
My Rating: C+

I'm open to suggestions on what to listen to next.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Haven’t had chance to watch it myself yet, but feedback for the new John Mulaney is solid as expected.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
It’s very funny albeit not funny in the same way as his old material.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah it's not nearly as tight as his old stuff but what do you expect after his weird odyssey.

I thought it was telling that he mentioned his kid for ONE bit and NEVER brought up Olivia Munn or even referenced that she existed. I'm guessing he's learned his lesson there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Given what he was dealing with, I hate that I find Royal Watch so funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_wtjuQddcs

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

It's fuckin hilarious idc

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

If I had to recommend stand up comedy from the last few years for anyone I would start with Jackie kashian even though she tends to rehash older material sometimes, our boy Stavros halkias, Jessica Kirson, Kelsey Cook, Sam Tallent, Kyle Kinane and honestly probably Shane Gillis. Any show that even one of those people is on is going to be good, and if you were lucky enough to get more than one on the same bill you probably shouldn't miss that show. We saw Kinane with Sam tallent opening last year and I thought I might actually die from laughing too hard. Honestly it was the same when he had Jim Tews open for him as well.

For cleaner stuff I'd say probably Pete Holmes, Tom Papa, and Brian Regan. Reagan's last special was loving awesome

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I'd throw Nate Bargatze in there with the clean comics, if I remember right.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

jodai posted:

110%

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

jodai posted:

He's so hilariously middle of the road in every way

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah Nate is great and really doesn't rely on dirty jokes or swearing. Dude has his daughter introduce him heh.

I was watching some older clips and man he was hilariously gumpy when he was younger

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Apparently Brian Posehn had a car wreck a few weeks ago (he's fine)

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 12, 2023

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Thanks for letting us know

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Continuing the former Mr. Show news... Looks like Jay Johnston finally got arrested.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/feds-charge-bobs-burgers-arrested-development-actor-jan-6-capitol-riot-rcna88135

No drat idea how or why now instead of two years ago, but whatever. Crash into thimbles in jail for a few months, dipshit.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Tony Phillips posted:

Continuing the former Mr. Show news... Looks like Jay Johnston finally got arrested.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/feds-charge-bobs-burgers-arrested-development-actor-jan-6-capitol-riot-rcna88135

No drat idea how or why now instead of two years ago, but whatever. Crash into thimbles in jail for a few months, dipshit.

Framed by Nancy Pelosi

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Tony Phillips posted:

Choo-Choo the Herky Jerky Federal Prisoner!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Speaking of David Cross, which special has the promise keepers bit on it?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Speaking of David Cross, which special has the promise keepers bit on it?

Shut Up, You loving Baby has some stuff. But it’s probably The Pride is Back. P sure it’s not It’s Not Funny.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Was cleaning out my camera roll and found this pic I took in a random mall-based comedy club in Albany:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone listen to/watch the World Record Podcast? I found it a few months ago and I am now binging through every episode and there's something about it that just hits the spot for me. Is this even the right thread for this?

edit to add: it seems this very thread is in a podcast sub-forum. But my question still stands.

huh fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 21, 2023

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

huh posted:

Does anyone listen to/watch the World Record Podcast? I found it a few months ago and I am now binging through every episode and there's something about it that just hits the spot for me. Is this even the right thread for this?

edit to add: it seems this very thread is in a podcast sub-forum. But my question still stands.

I gave it a go after hearing it mentioned on Stanhope's podcast a load of times. Only got about 2-3 episodes in though. Parts amused me I suppose. I vaguely remember something about the drat New Kids on the Block I think? But overall it just didn't stick.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Bert Kreischer's movie "The Machine" is on VOD. Did anyone watch it?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Medullah posted:

It feels like I’ve heard that routine 100 times but in retrospect I don’t even know that I’ve heard it twice. I feel like I’ve seen the movie 100 times yet I know I’ve only seen the trailer once.

For actual content saw Anthony Jeselnik a few weeks ago at a late Friday show. Goddamn that dude can wrote jokes, polar opposite of retelling the same story without jokes forever. I can authentically say that he did 5 minutes on trans people that was amazing because it was actually on pregnant women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Medullah posted:

It's fun. It's worth a watch if you like Bert, but I'm not sure how much anyone unfamiliar with him or the machine story would be into it. As a fan service movie, it's top notch, and Bert can act pretty well, at least when he's playing himself.