Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Tiny Myers posted:

I got a decent way into Beastars, I remember something about the deer guy who was at odds with the wolf protagonist getting killed and then like... coming back and turning into a mafia don or something, like he took over the gang that tried to kill him? Was that the antagonist? I remember thinking it was a little weird how the author just kept going back to him. I'd love to hear more if you feel like explaining or have a Youtube deep dive or article you'd recommend.

nah im pretty sure they're talking about the gazelle/leopard hybrid guy. the deer guy is always weirdly intense but he becomes a close friend who plays a big role in defusing the conflict of the final arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tiny Myers posted:

I got a decent way into Beastars, I remember something about the deer guy who was at odds with the wolf protagonist getting killed and then like... coming back and turning into a mafia don or something, like he took over the gang that tried to kill him? Was that the antagonist? I remember thinking it was a little weird how the author just kept going back to him. I'd love to hear more if you feel like explaining or have a Youtube deep dive or article you'd recommend.

that spoilered part is probably when the comic’s at its most compellingly weird, it doesn’t start to get bad for a while after. the villain in question is a crime boss who’s also a combination of two different things (leopard and gazelle) which makes him unable to taste and screws with his fight-or-flight response, adding up to an unstable hedonist who’s constantly on the verge of snapping and commits atrocities to make up for his sense loss. but the author couldn’t get any further into that idea than “make him the Joker, but furry” and was so enamored with him that he takes up almost half the comic. much like Loup, the whole story becomes warped in its effort to keep him in the spotlight - the protagonists become ineffectual dolts so he can’t be brought to justice, and he turns out to be a licensed psychiatrist and an accredited history professor on top of becoming crime lord of the whole setting just to shove him in front of as many other characters as possible, despite being an uncharismatic dweeb who spends most conflicts running away or killing his subordinates. he even magically doubles in muscle mass overnight because the author wanted him to have a “real” fight scene

the larger problem is that his original characterization was basically a pro-eugenics argument (since his mixed heritage literally contributed to his antisocial tendencies) so at one point the author slammed the brakes and rewrote his whole backstory, making him take up even more space as we got chapter after chapter insisting his abusive childhood was to blame. unlike Loup, his own character was never moderated in response - it hits its nadir when a chapter proclaims his deadbeat dad was “the true evil” as he (the original badguy) is literally skinning someone alive off-panel. said bad dad vanishes from the story right after he’s introduced, the villain commits suicide, lives, commits suicide again, lives again, and is last seen in prison smirking directly at the reader over a pile of fan mail. the comic ends two chapters later

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 15, 2023

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Didn't that comic also have a habit of setting up big payoffs that never came or amounted to nothing? It does feel like there are some similarities.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Tiny Myers posted:

Nah there's a character named Melon, who yeah is a half-leopard half-gazelle. The antogonist of the first half of the series is interesting, nuanced, and reinforces the themes of the story and the struggles the protagonists face. Then they're replaced by Melon, who is a cuh-raaaaazy wacky sociopath. Melon doesn't tie into the series' themes on anything beyond a surface level, and once he's introduced becomes the lynch pin that the entire story begins to revolve around, and the story practically drops more interesting subplots so we can focus more on Melon. The series then rushes through major plot beats with little fanfare so we can get to more Melon Time.

It's a really apt comparison.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

what the gently caress

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Gunnerkrigg Court: Count your blessings, it could always be worse

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

Weird aside; it's strange to me how often female authors will have their characters choose the safe and often boring beau. I don't want to knock anyone's preferences, but why settle in a fantasy?

Gender aside, probably because many people either yearn for a safe normal life they are lacking, or want to validate to everyone else their choice to have one instead of living in the extreme and being "interesting". I know this is a boring answer, but that's sort of the point.

To compensate in my upcoming short story, the protagonist will have an affair with a tyrannosaurus from outer space in another dimension. :krad:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Also the latest page gives me the urge to tell random strangers "sorry it didn't work out between us" out of the blue.

*Checking out with a cashier I have never met at some store* "Your total comes out to $12.65, will that be cash or card?"

"I've got cash, there you go thanks! By the way, sorry thing's didn't work out between the two of us. Have a good one!" *walks off*

I might not be explaining it well, but the confusion and chaos coming from out of nowhere is funny to me, which is also why it makes no sense in the comic, lol.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Twenty Four posted:

To compensate in my upcoming short story, the protagonist will have an affair with a tyrannosaurus from outer space in another dimension. :krad:

the Chuck Tingle formula never fails

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Skippy McPants posted:

Weird aside; it's strange to me how often female authors will have their characters choose the safe and often boring beau. I don't want to knock anyone's preferences, but why settle in a fantasy?

Take a page from Jane Austen and make all your good boys be brooding beauties with tortured souls.

Idk I feel like sometimes the "exciting" fella is just kind of an rear end in a top hat. Like brooding is cool and all but maybe work on your poo poo with a professional before you hit the big leagues

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

ronya posted:

Antimony already had something to demand from Loup: recall that threat/promise to free her from obligations to the psychopomps? That was a thing! They did not need to stand around like, well, side characters waiting for the protagonist to reveal their gambit.

Yup! I've mentioned this before, but raising these robots costs Loup exactly nothing. It has no negative consequence on anyone at all. I would assume breaking a promise with the Psychopomps could mean *something*. Annie seemingly can't refuse them, so what would Loup do to end the "contract"? Though that would probably end up being boring too.

And lmao that Beastars plot. Dear god.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tiny Myers posted:

Yes.

You think it's a moral horizon. I also think it is a moral horizon. We are not in disagreement in any way here. The reply was to this:

Pointing out the author has specifically gone out of his way to make it arguable Loup Has Never Killed A Man. That does not mean I think domestic assault is acceptable.

I gotcha.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Anthony… Melon… Connect the dots: Is he Loup, or is he Cantaloupe? It all makes sense now! It’s a crossover event!

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Compare to Houseki no Kuni, which also got hit hard by Covid but in that the author took like... a 3 year hiatus right around the build up to a very bizarre and emotionally exhausting climax, but... somehow they were able to get away with just, not updating for 3 years, and now it's updating slowly again and the story remains very much on track and strong.

Contrast to The Legacy of Dominic Deegan, which even Mookie admitted completely fell apart because of the stress of covid and became utterly meandering stream of consciousness.

Like honestly can't hold it against anyone if their storytelling starts to fall apart in these our modern times, i think the universe's own functioning story is failing in macrocosm and comics becoming more incoherent is just a symptom of narrative decay within reality. We probably have 5-15 years before it completely degenerates and effect ceases to follow cause meaningfully, so good luck on prepping to jump ship when you can!

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Loup needs to die. No way around it. That might lead to the rebirth of Coyote/Ysengrin, it might lead to there being a new nature god, or it might lead to there being NO ONE to oppose the court anymore.

oppose who now? from doing what, exactly?

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Skippy McPants posted:

Take a page from Jane Austen and make all your good boys be brooding beauties with tortured souls.

Oh, they'll get poo poo if they go for the non-sensible romance options, for being stupid women who don't understand they are writing abusive or dangerous relationships and are setting a bad example for girls. There's no 'right' way to have romance fantasies for female authors. But some women really do dream of the safe and boring life because it's well... Safe. And comfortable. And supportive. That's it's own kind of fantasy.

Basically women are people and experience all the diversity of desire that people do, and no matter what they do they will be scrutinized and told their desire is wrong. (Anthony from FOOB sucks though).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Twenty Four posted:

Gender aside, probably because many people either yearn for a safe normal life they are lacking, or want to validate to everyone else their choice to have one instead of living in the extreme and being "interesting". I know this is a boring answer, but that's sort of the point.

Welcome to the forums Mr Tingle!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FlocksOfMice posted:

Contrast to The Legacy of Dominic Deegan, which even Mookie admitted completely fell apart because of the stress of covid and became utterly meandering stream of consciousness.
Became?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

I mean at least at first there was a vague, nebulous goal Which became replaced with everyone mommies Snout and tells him how kind and curious he is while he ignores his friends, plays with his toes, and falls asleep until Dominic goes "you arbitrarily succeeded somehow, please proceed to the end for a resolution of I don't know"

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Gnome de plume posted:

the Chuck Tingle formula never fails

Splicer posted:

Welcome to the forums Mr Tingle!

I had no idea who this was, but after a 10 second google search, yeah, looks about right, lol. Glad I was using an incognito window as usual for looking at something I don't have a good handle on what it is.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
She interacted with Jerrek shortly before he flipped back to Loup and burnt Renard’s body to a crisp in front of her out of sheer spite for Renard saying he wasn’t taking it seriously in “Jerrek’s” hearing range. Then he went back to pretending to be Jerrek.

That was a couple of chapters ago. It was a supposedly important moment? She already saw him drop the I like you act to flip out and do violence then go back to pretending? She has personal experience with Ysengrim losing his poo poo and attempting teen girl murder on a dime?

Plot points really don’t matter any more, huh.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

For some reason, Annie's nose is bugging me on this page and I can't figure out why.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Randalor posted:

For some reason, Annie's nose is bugging me on this page and I can't figure out why.

Nose is off-model by having no clearly defined bridge and shaped into a curve that makes it look like it’s starting from her forehead instead of between her eyes imo. https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2654 Compare to this page from a chapter or two ago which is at the same angle, it’s much shorter and more pert with a sharply defined bridge here.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Thank you. Though overall her face just keeps... deforming through the page, slowly shifting like she's some sort of gelatin inside a skin suit that's slowly losing shape. Her chin in the 4th panel looks really off, for example.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I can’t wait for this comic’s last rattling gasp.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

"I knew you, the trickster god known for exploiting loopholes wherever possible, wouldn't hurt Lana because you promised not to."

Come on.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Randalor posted:

Thank you. Though overall her face just keeps... deforming through the page, slowly shifting like she's some sort of gelatin inside a skin suit that's slowly losing shape. Her chin in the 4th panel looks really off, for example.

Oh yeah, that’s also the noses. They keep changing length and shape panel to panel in ways not tracking to perspective and it warps everything.

The easiest and most direct example is just a few pages back: start by tracking Jerrek’s nose and his eyes https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2793 and you’ll see it’s an attempt at dramatic angles but the face shape isn’t angling enough to match, so every single panel is his nose at a different perspective than his chin - it makes it look like it’s growing longer and shorter panel by panel and that his eyes are moving up and down the skull.

And the weird thing is he used to do this fine, or at least not to the gelatin extent. Look at whats-his-name on this and the next page: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2451 A bunch of head movements from multiple camera angles and every panel reads as the same features.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
uggggggggggggggggggggggh

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

All this time Gunnerkrigg has been a story about how important it is to be a nice, normal boy

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

we're just normal men. we're just innocent men

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Oh my god, please don't tell me that Annie's secret "can't say it out loud even to the other me" crush was Ysengrin.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"Actually I've been the puppetmaster this whole time"

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 16, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

She really trusted someone's life to a third party :airquote: promise :airquote: made by a god of trickery

Red was right to chastise Annie for playing fast and loose with people's lives, then staying the gently caress away. Annie either didn't learn poo poo or the author has completely forgotten what these characters have been through

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
is loup even a trickster god? he's never been referred to as one in-comic and while he's half coyote he has none of his finesse. he's just an idiot. failgod

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Potato Salad posted:

She really trusted someone's life to a third party :airquote: promise :airquote: made by a god of trickery

Red was right to chastise Annie for playing fast and loose with people's lives, then staying the gently caress away. Annie either didn't learn poo poo or the author has completely forgotten what these characters have been through

I never thought Tom would provide retroactive validation for Red's insane rant.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

is loup even a trickster god? he's never been referred to as one in-comic and while he's half coyote he has none of his finesse. he's just an idiot. failgod

Yeah I guess "trickster god" doesn't quite apply to Loup the way it did to Coyote. That being said it really doesn't make sense why Annie believes Loup will keep that promise, nor why either her or Kat think Loup won't just turn into some other robot etc to escape Kat's tracking - if Loup could turn into one robot person, there's no reason to believe he couldn't turn into another.

It comes off to me like they already inherently trust Loup, and are more just being cautious for the sake of it rather than actually trying to stop Loup. That or the author just wants Loup to become a good guy already so the characters are just acting how they need to in order to make that happen.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah Loup isn't a trickster god, he's just a nice, normal boy

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

isasphere posted:

Oh my god, please don't tell me that Annie's secret "can't say it out loud even to the other me" crush was Ysengrin.

the comic does have a running theme of innapropriate relationships, yeah.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

There Bias Two posted:

"I knew you, the trickster god known for exploiting loopholes wherever possible, wouldn't hurt Lana because you promised not to."

Come on.

Literally the minute Loup was out of her sight he punched Lana into a wall, so, good job Annie. Very smart. I wonder if the comic is ever going to draw that connection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Against everyone’s advice I’ve been skimming some of the recent pages as they come out, and my main takeaway is how much the art has devolved over time. Look at some of the old pages like that one of the dead robots linked last page and it barely looks like the same comic :(