Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Praxis Prion posted:

Anybody think this deal on the Lenovo Legion 5 for $1230 is coming back?
https://slickdeals.net/f/16651052-l...iteSearchV2Algo

It's been out of stock for several days now. I can get the same thing through a build-your-own for $1,460 after a coupon code and nurse discount, but that original is such a good deal.

Almost certainly its coming back, or something really similar. There are other 4060 laptops in the $970-$1,300 range, none that I like as much as that Legion, so I don't think it's a huge outlier price or anything. It'll be back before too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hadlock posted:

Apple announced an alarmingly thin M2 powered 15" macbook air

Also cut $150 off the price of the 13" version.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Lockback posted:

What games do you play?

A 3060 is a big step up from a 3050ti. I love my G14, but it is a smaller screen (14 vs 16 is pretty big) which is a big plus for portability but a minus for desk-playing. The ROG will be a bit louder too. But the gaming performance will be much better, and it will be a better portable machine with better battery if you play games on the move.

Personally I think a 3060 G14 at $650 is an incredible deal open box, more so than a 3050ti Legion (which is still a good deal!) Can you buy a G14 and just return the one you don't like as much?

Yea, if the open box is still available tomorrow, I might do this. Thanks!

Edit/update: So, I can probably see why it was returned. It has a pretty significant amount of screen warp to it. While it doesn’t appear to effect the performance of the screen and it’s apparently a common issue with g14’s, it’s pretty worrisome. I’ll likely take it back just for this, but i think I also just want the bigger form factor and brighter screen.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 8, 2023

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Posting from my ~6 year old XPS 13 9360 to say that with the OEM replacement battery I found & installed, it still runs & looks great and doesn't have any weird creaks or cracks.

Aside from the battery the only things I've done were put (hand-me-down) 2TB SSD and a wifi6 M2 to replace the stock one.

i7-8550U & 16 GB Ram holding up well, as is the 3200x1800 touchscreen

Hanging out at 42c on my lap too.

Anybody know a good vendor to buy the screws for it? Wouldnt mind replacing a couple

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/8/23754836/180w-240w-framework-usb-c-pd-charger

Confirmed. The new modular 16” notebook from Framework is going to use the new 240w PD standard. However, it will only ship with a 180w adapter.

quote:

Today, the modular laptop company revealed that it will ship its upcoming Framework Laptop 16 with the first 180W USB-C PD 3.1 charger that we’ve ever heard of, developed in partnership with Chicony. It’s only twice the size of its 60W power adapter at 116.6 x 58.2 x 27mm, but with three times the juice, and the two-meter USB-C cable is still detachable despite it.

But that doesn’t mean the Framework Laptop 16 is a 180W laptop. The company says at maximum performance, with a detachable discrete GPU module installed, it’ll actually draw from battery as well as this 180W wall adapter — to avoid that, you’d plug in one of the 240W USB PD chargers that Framework expects will soon arrive from third parties.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Looking at grabbing a new gaming laptop but I've had this one for over six years so I'm a bit out of the current loop.
1) Is there any real gaming reason to go from an i7 to an i9 other than dickwaving and a heat fetish?
2) Who's good these days for longevity? I'm a bit eh on Asus at the moment and my main priority is not having to buy a new laptop for at least 4 years. This is a factor for (2) because I don't want to get something that will be obsolete
3) Are the 4060/4070 laptop models as bad as they say? I'm an old so I'd happily stick with 1920*1080 @ 60mhz until I die but people don't make those screens any more, but as per (2) I don't want to struggle to run games in 3 years or have a 4080 melt the other components in 2.

I'm currently looking at an MSI Raider 17.3in 2560x1440 240Hz, GeForce RTX 4080, Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD despite it being about 25% more than I wanted to spend and tbh the novelty of finding an off the shelf laptop in my country with more than 500GB hard disk is the main deciding factor. Going to lock the framerate to 60mhz :sickos:

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 9, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
1. Depends on what your doing, but most likely not worth the heat/cost.
2. Asus is good, but Legion is at least as good. Asus is typically a bit better at being portable Legion a bit more powerful. MSI is decent, but a step down in build quality and (honestly) longevity.
3.4060 is a really good mobile GPU. 4070 is kinda dumb because it isn't giving you much performance for the wattage and cost, but it's not bad. Mobile GPUs are essentially completely different from desktop GPUs at this point so don't compare across (a mobile 4060 is more like a high VRAM 4050+). 4080 is a great mobile GPU but it will run hot and its expensive.

So MSI Raider is a fine laptop but depending on what games you're playing it may be overkill and adding heat (and wear) you don't need. I don't think there's anything wrong with that laptop but I wouldn't look at it and say "Oh this is what you want if you want it to last a long time."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The best thing you can do for longevity is get an extended warranty plan that doesn't require a bunch of bullshit to use, which is why I only buy laptops through Best Buy. I've used them 3 times for major repairs to failed Asus G14s and once (just a basic return) for my Legion that came with a failed GPU.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 9, 2023

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Does Lenovo Direct support have lovely warranty claims? I haven't filed one outside of business which went super smooth.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

pixaal posted:

Does Lenovo Direct support have lovely warranty claims? I haven't filed one outside of business which went super smooth.

I don't think so? They're fine. It won't be as good as a business claim though, but no consumer laptop will be.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Splicer posted:

Looking at grabbing a new gaming laptop but I've had this one for over six years so I'm a bit out of the current loop.

I'm currently looking at an MSI Raider 17.3in 2560x1440 240Hz, GeForce RTX 4080, Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD despite it being about 25% more than I wanted to spend and tbh the novelty of finding an off the shelf laptop in my country with more than 500GB hard disk is the main deciding factor. Going to lock the framerate to 60mhz :sickos:

I've been very pleased with my 15 inch Asus ROG Strix. It just turned 2 years old and still works great, but I can understand not being too keen on Asus at the moment. The Legion gaming laptops seem to be just as good, and probably have less garish software. Armoury Crate is bloated and grotesque and I'm glad someone in this thread posted the github to GHelper which is a great replacement. I'm still pretty happy with the 3060 in my machine. I can turn on ray tracing in cyberpunk and with the magic of DLSS, get "Good Enough" performance and visuals for my old eyes. It doesn't even turn into a jet engine which means I'm probably leaving some frames on the table. Also, pretty much all these modern machines have a spare M2 slot for additional storage, I recently threw in a second 1TB drive in my computer and it was super easy. So you may save yourself some coin by adding more storage yourself.

As for CPU's/GPU's. I9 is probably not worth the extra cash or power consumption. In the mobile space, whether you get a 13th gen i7/i9 or a Zen 3/4 Ryzen, they're going to turbo real high and consume large amounts of power initially before eventually reducing their power limits to keep from self combusting or melting your laptop after a few minutes. I don't think you can go wrong with either right now, but if I were shopping AMD, I'd be looking for a Zen 4 part. Zen 3 is still great, especially in regards to power consumption, just starting to show its age.

The 4070 looks to be a not good value. It has the same 8GB of VRAM as the 4060, attached with the same puny 128-bit memory bus. It has almost double the number of ray tracing cores which might make a noticeable difference if you want to play a lot of games with ray tracing enabled, but hindered by the same memory constraints of the 4060 I'm not sure if it'll provide double the performance when it comes to games with ray tracing. The 4080 is really where you start getting into the real noticeable improvements. There's a caveat, of course, laptop manufacturers can set their own power limits on GPU's, so a 40-whatever in one system might not perform as well as one in another. I've already read a review of a "slim" laptop with a 4080 that ended up performing worse than a 4070 due to it's power constraints, which makes you wonder, "why even bother"?

I've heard of MSI not being as good as Lenovo/Asus; I personally have no experience with an MSI machine other than my old 2015 GE-something. The chassis and materials certainly don't feel as nice as modern machines, and the speakers and keyboard aren't as good, but the thing is from 2015 and I could plug it in right now and it'd start up just fine.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

bull3964 posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/8/23754836/180w-240w-framework-usb-c-pd-charger

Confirmed. The new modular 16” notebook from Framework is going to use the new 240w PD standard. However, it will only ship with a 180w adapter.

I might grab one of these eventually. I've been wanting their 13 inch one, but as my other post indicated the other day, I'm doing ok for my needs in that form factor. I love the idea, and love that its moving into a size that can accommodate a dGPU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I keep seeing paid blog ad articles for Anker 3/5/7/11-in-one dock type things

I've not seen this before. This would lead me to believe that they're trying to close out their USB-C/USB 3.X devices as they're getting ready to roll out their USB4 (which are thunderbolt 3 backwards compatible) devices, again guessing, at the end of the quarter (june 30)

That's all wild speculation of course

Anker finally gave a preview of their new 240w capable hardware

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/14/23760701/anker-prime-usb-c-240w-charger-battery-bank

Currently holding off on buying a new dock until I can get a 240w unit which I expect will last me another 7 years

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hadlock posted:

Anker finally gave a preview of their new 240w capable hardware

Nope, read it again. It's 140w. It's just 240w combined across all ports, but it can't output 240w to a single device.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh, lame

Yeah I saw a Phillips computer display announced the other day with 140w too. I wonder if it's the same chip

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Not sure, but Anker has had 140w accessories for almost a year now. I got my Anker 737 140w power bank at the end of July last year.

Nothing I have will actually draw 140w from it, but at least it charges at that rate.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Thanks for putting Lenovo on my radar, I didn't know they did gaming laptops.

And yes my current machine is a 6 year old Asus that's served me very well, but whatever's going on at Asus QC at the moment I don't want to get involved.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Speaking of Lenovo. Their latest Legion 5 Pro with a Zen 4 AMD cpu and RTX 4070 is on sale for under 1500USD. That's actually a hair less than what most 4060 equipped laptops were priced at when they first hit the market.
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-pro-series/legion-pro-5-gen-8-(16-inch-amd)/len101g0025

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
ASUS Zenbook 14
https://www.currys.co.uk/products/asus-zenbook-14-ux3402za-14-laptop-intel%C2%A0core%C2%A0i5-512-gb-ssd-blue-10240187.html

Is that a decent price for the Zenbook 14, and is it a decent laptop? It doesn't need to play games or anything.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Decent price, decent laptop. OLED screen is nice.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Buying my partner a laptop, considering the Thinkpad Yoga series for the 2-in-1 feature which I think she'll like - she'll only use it for basic browser stuff/email, watching Netflix etc., word processing, nothing heavy at all. But I want to get one that's powerful enough that'll it'll be snappy and responsive doing those things bc she gets rl frustrated at laggy computers. Also would want it to have a really good (or at least not-bad) wifi module bc the wifi reception is bad in some of the places she'll use it.

1) Are the Thinkpad Yoga's pretty good/durable machines? Do they/can they fit those criteria?
2) I don't want to overbuy power but again want a nice experience using it, and one that'll last 5+ years hopefully without feeling old - what specs should I be aiming for?
3) This thread lead me to buying a Thinkpad T16 for my work machine and it so far has ended up being excellent advice, I adore it, so maybe I'm just super "into" Thinkpads now - is there a better non-Thinkpad option for what she needs?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Lockback posted:

Decent price, decent laptop. OLED screen is nice.

Is OLED a crazy idea for a laptop? I'd be keeping it for the guts of a decade, not changing it after 2 years like a phone.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Not personally, but people itt have had good experiences with the Yoga devices. Any device with 16gb RAM and a processor from 2021 onward will be snappy and responsive for the next five+ years. Don't get one with a dedicated graphics card. AMD processors will have better battery life and probably better performance in a 14", but if you're getting a larger device then Intel is probably a better option.

Lenovo's branding is a shitshow. There's a difference between ThinkPad __ Yoga lines (e.g. ThinkPad X1 Yoga) and just Yoga ___ (like Yoga Slim etc). They're both decent but they're essentially different manufacturers with quite different build style, materials etc.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is OLED a crazy idea for a laptop? I'd be keeping it for the guts of a decade, not changing it after 2 years like a phone.

Main drawback is the big hit to battery life, about 10-20% less. That's only really an issue in smaller devices with lower capacity batteries. Otherwise yeah they're great, big step up over IPS in pretty much every way.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

bike tory posted:

Not personally, but people itt have had good experiences with the Yoga devices. Any device with 16gb RAM and a processor from 2021 onward will be snappy and responsive for the next five+ years. Don't get one with a dedicated graphics card. AMD processors will have better battery life and probably better performance in a 14", but if you're getting a larger device then Intel is probably a better option.

Lenovo's branding is a shitshow. There's a difference between ThinkPad __ Yoga lines (e.g. ThinkPad X1 Yoga) and just Yoga ___ (like Yoga Slim etc). They're both decent but they're essentially different manufacturers with quite different build style, materials etc.

Main drawback is the big hit to battery life, about 10-20% less. That's only really an issue in smaller devices with lower capacity batteries. Otherwise yeah they're great, big step up over IPS in pretty much every way.

I thought OLED would drain less battery due to the black pixels?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It’s worse on the battery life and typically gets paired with 4k screens that give you the worst of Windows’ scaling issues. That’s about it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

black.lion posted:

Buying my partner a laptop, considering the Thinkpad Yoga series for the 2-in-1 feature which I think she'll like

bike tory posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Yogas are nice. Maybe a bit pricey, but the better value 2-in-1s are definitely a step down too. If you did one with a config and price you like I'd recommend it.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

bike tory posted:

Ty! I'll be getting the newest processor I can find and will hit 16GB RAM for sure, and prob will go for the smaller (14") so AMD it is - much appreciated

Lockback posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Yogas are nice. Maybe a bit pricey, but the better value 2-in-1s are definitely a step down too. If you did one with a config and price you like I'd recommend it.

So wait, regular Yogas or Thinkpad Yogas are nice? Not super price sensitive though not trying to overspend unnecessarily

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Regular Yogas are a bit cheaper than ThinkPad Yogas, but are good in their own right. Just don't expect the typical ThinkPad keyboard, they have a different aesthetic and probably more plastic in the casing too.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I thought OLED would drain less battery due to the black pixels?

It does vary based on what's on the screen, but no, in all the tests I've seen they use more power on average despite the ability to actually turn off black pixels.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 17, 2023

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

if its only a 10-20% battery life hit you could probably get that back by tuning the processor better at least

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Though I would not expect any laptop OLED screen to last a decade without suffering burn-in.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Though I would not expect any laptop OLED screen to last a decade without suffering burn-in.

I get this but how long would you expect a computer belonging to someone wanting OLED quality last? Like yeah maybe there’s some rube who just wants that and knows nothing about computers. But cmon.

Edit: I don’t know anyone who expects a laptop to last much longer than five years.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

fr0id posted:

I get this but how long would you expect a computer belonging to someone wanting OLED quality last? Like yeah maybe there’s some rube who just wants that and knows nothing about computers. But cmon.

Edit: I don’t know anyone who expects a laptop to last much longer than five years.

The person asking the question a few posts up said they plan on keeping it for the better part of a decade. I'm pretty sure they were mainly asking about burn-in.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The chances the screen survives for a decade seems low; getting a replacement OLED 7 years after production ends is... Not likely

The are like, five or six laptops I can suggest if you need parts availability for a decade

The IPS screen on my Thinkpad x230 needed a replacement at like 5 years and then an ant crawled into the replacement screen and died near the center two years later at which point I decided to upgrade to the x13....huh, days before covid was announced, Jan 4 2020

Anyways I know in 5-7 years I can easily replace that 13" IPS screen. I'd be cautious buying an OLED

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Thanks for the responses goons. I don't need an OLED screen, but that Asus Zenbook was one of the options that came up when I went through Currys and filtered my requirements.

Anyone have recommendations for anywhere else in the UK that sells laptops?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

For an 800 quid laptop I really wouldn't worry about OLED longevity, truly. A very nice laptop from 2013 would be a i7-4500 and maybe 8GB of RAM, and would have been painful to use for years. I'd predict less than 10% of those are still running and none of them had OLED. For casual home use (ie, not running in an office 40+ hours a week) your screen is going to have a life comparable to most components, and any degradation would likely be reasonably spread across the screen and not very noticeable for casual use.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I'd appreciate a little help: I'm going to buy my first ever laptop and have no idea where to start, because I'm not looking for a gaming rig.

* It's going to be mostly for writing / browsing / streaming
* Being able to handle some light audio and video editing would be good.
* Something that can handle a whole 8-hour workday without bursting into flames or running out of memory.
* Preferably not apple.
* Doesn't need to be a combination tablet though I don't mind if it is.

Can anyone point me toward some good brands/models to start with?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

black.lion posted:

Buying my partner a laptop, considering the Thinkpad Yoga series for the 2-in-1 feature which I think she'll like - she'll only use it for basic browser stuff/email, watching Netflix etc., word processing, nothing heavy at all. But I want to get one that's powerful enough that'll it'll be snappy and responsive doing those things bc she gets rl frustrated at laggy computers. Also would want it to have a really good (or at least not-bad) wifi module bc the wifi reception is bad in some of the places she'll use it.

1) Are the Thinkpad Yoga's pretty good/durable machines? Do they/can they fit those criteria?
2) I don't want to overbuy power but again want a nice experience using it, and one that'll last 5+ years hopefully without feeling old - what specs should I be aiming for?
3) This thread lead me to buying a Thinkpad T16 for my work machine and it so far has ended up being excellent advice, I adore it, so maybe I'm just super "into" Thinkpads now - is there a better non-Thinkpad option for what she needs?

I have the previous X1 Yoga (If that's what you're referring to) with the i7-1185G7. If it weren't for the corporate image bloatware, it'd be very snappy :)

Wireless is WiFi6 AX201, I didn't benchmark it but it's plenty fast and I've had no issues with it.

1) Unlike the other Thinkpads, it has a metal (some sort of aluminum alloy) construction which I'm not a fan of but nevertheless it's very solid. The Yoga hinge isn't very stiff but enough that you can write on the screen ok.
2) The lower-end 1245U is a bit faster than my 1185 and is supposed to be better on battery and cooling than the other 12-th gen CPUs so I'd consider that.
3) That's the correct behavior on your part :colbert:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If a college student were going to study data science, are there compelling reasons to use a MacBook over an iPad? Both seem to be very capable productivity laptops, but I'm not a Mac guy so xI worry there are important differences--particularly in the apps on each OS--that I wouldn't think to ask about.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Leatherhead posted:

I'd appreciate a little help: I'm going to buy my first ever laptop and have no idea where to start, because I'm not looking for a gaming rig.

* It's going to be mostly for writing / browsing / streaming
* Being able to handle some light audio and video editing would be good.
* Something that can handle a whole 8-hour workday without bursting into flames or running out of memory.
* Preferably not apple.
* Doesn't need to be a combination tablet though I don't mind if it is.

Can anyone point me toward some good brands/models to start with?

Pretty much any new laptop with 16gb of RAM will handle that list well. What size are you looking at, and what budget?

M1 MacBook Air really is the best value for money for that purpose, but otherwise Lenovo ThinkPads are the go-to for productivity work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

If a college student were going to study data science, are there compelling reasons to use a MacBook over an iPad? Both seem to be very capable productivity laptops, but I'm not a Mac guy so xI worry there are important differences--particularly in the apps on each OS--that I wouldn't think to ask about.

I think you're going to run into a bunch of unbreakable glass walls trying to run python/numpy/pandas, jupiter notebooks, train AI models etc on an iPad due to the kids gloves iOS standing in your way. Maybe they have a "root your iOS" feature now, I haven't looked in to it. 100% of your tooling was written on a macbook or at least linux/unix and definitely is going to be 100% compatible with an M1/M2 macbook. Can you do basic tasks on the ipad like taking notes, or even SSH into an EC2 instance to get real work done? Yeah probably. I feel like you're going to spend a ton of time designing/maintaining a weird compatibility layer on iOS to get 95% of the same functionality, vs a macbook where you can open the terminal and

code:
$sudo make me a sandwich
Maybe things have improved on the ipad side. I feel like a 13" macbook air already has a great display + integrated keyboard, the ipad would be a step down and a lot more filmsy