Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

White Mike Michael Malone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/BrettSiegelNBA/status/1669371965843333123?s=20

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Beal when he plays is still a very very good player, but he's been playing like 25 minutes a game and still can't stay healthy so betting on him turning it around at his age is a very very big risk, for the salary he is being paid.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Don’t worry guys Sacramento is just doing that thing we always do in the off-season where we chase all these names before settling for Kosta Koufos and Marco

https://twitter.com/damienbarling/status/1669438813264039939?s=20

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1669443356064194561?s=20

hmm

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/nick_underhill/status/1669436754913263616

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
he's gonna play MLB (middle linebacker)?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I feel like Kuzma could do better than the TPMLE but I guess we'll see.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

CharlestheHammer posted:

Light the Bealcon!

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

I desperately want Zion to be traded for Scoot. A generational prospect not seen since AD traded for.... The 2nd pick behind the other generational prospect not seen since AD

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Basketball is the best sport, by far, and we're not in a golden age or anything but we're in like a 3rd renaissance right now and everything is extremely high quality and fun to watch and it whips rear end

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Wonder how many years of signature shoes Zion is gonna get. Guessing three more models max

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dejan dumping Beef Stew to make room for Wiseman/Bagley????
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1669397560509726736

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

My best friend threw him both beers.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Strawberry Panda posted:

My best friend threw him both beers.

Did JR rub off on him?

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

I'm so glad that nobody in the media feigns concern about players and coaches getting absolutely wasted on television during championship parades

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

here folks, its the dumbest article you'll read all offseason of June

"How the Heat could acquire both Lillard and Beal and have a Big Four. The steps needed"

quote:

▪ Step 1: Somehow get word to both Lillard (or his agent Aaron Goodwin) and Beal (or his agent Mark Bartelstein) that the Heat is trying to pull off both Lillard and Beal trades.

This is the tricky part because NBA rules state that any member of the organization - including coaches, players, executives and owners - cannot speak to a player on rival teams in an attempt to lure him to join their team. So Butler and Adebayo cannot simply call Lillard and Beal, tell them the plan and ask if they’re interested.

This would require back-channels that would not leave the Heat at risk of being punished for tampering. It could also perhaps be achieved by leaking the plan to the media. To be clear, I’m not writing this piece as part of a clandestine Heat plan to achieve this.

Nobody from the organization has discussed this fantasy hypothetical with me, and it’s unclear to me if the Heat would even be willing to pay a tax bill of at least $85 million that would be unavoidable in this Lillard and Beal scenario. But doing something this bold, this audacious would be in character for Pat Riley and this organization. Alerting Lillard and Beal of this hypothetical plan could entice them to push for trades to Miami specifically.

▪ Step 2: Hope that Lillard not only asks for a trade but also asks Portland to deal him to Miami, and that the Blazers acquiesce.

Lillard recently told Showtime and ESPN personality Brian Custer that Miami and Brooklyn would appeal to him. But Lillard would need to implore Portland to send him to Miami, because the Nets have more available first-round picks to trade (11) than Miami (three).

That third Heat first-round pick can be traded if the Heat and Oklahoma City agree to lift protections on a first-round pick owed the Thunder. So if Lillard asks to be sent to Miami, a trade offer of Tyler Herro, Duncan Robinson and perhaps three first-round picks would be the logical offer in this scenario. The combined salaries of Herro ($27 million) and Robinson ($18.1 million) are virtually identical to Lillard’s ($45.6 million), and thus adhere to cap rules.

▪ Step 3: Hope that the Beal - who has a full no trade clause - tells Washington that he will accept a trade only to Miami.

And hope that ESPN’s plugged-in Windhorst was on target when he said this on Wednesday: “If Bradley Beal gets traded between now and next Thursday, I think people are going to be very surprised at the price and potentially how low it’s going to be because his contract is not attractive.”

Windhorst said that if Beal is traded, he suspects “it would be for a fraction” of the price that Minnesota gave Utah for Rudy Gobert and Cleveland gave the Jazz for Donovan Mitchell. Because of the $208 million due Beal, a Heat offer of the expiring contracts of Kyle Lowry ($29.7 million) and Victor Oladipo ($9.4) would be a good starting point, because even those two combined would cost the Wizards $168 million less than Beal.

Oladipo cannot be traded until he formally exercises a $9.5 million player option for next season; the deadline is June 29. The notion of Oladipo opting out seems unthinkable because his knee injury is expected to sideline him most of next season. Beal is due to make $46.7 million next season, while Lowry and Oladipo are due a combined $39.7 million. Teams with a payroll above $169 million next season (which the Heat very likely will be) cannot take back money beyond 110 percent of the money they trade out. Conversely, teams under the $162 million tax threshold can take back salaries as much as 125 percent of what they send out.

So to facilitate this hypothetical Lowry/Oladipo/Beal trade from a cap standpoint and make it more appealing for Washington, the Heat also would need to offer either Caleb Martin (due $6.8 million next season) or Nikola Jovic ($2.3 million) and Haywood Highsmith ($1.9 million). In theory, that wouldn’t seem enough for Beal. But the incentive of dumping Beal’s massive contract - combined with Beal vetoing trades to other teams - ultimately could make that package good enough for the Wizards. In addition, the Heat could offer to select a player that Washington wants with the 18th pick in next Thursday’s NBA draft. As long as Miami makes the pick, it still has three other first-round picks available to trade for Lillard or whomever else.

This hypothetical Beal deal could not be completed until after Oladipo exercises his opt-in, but the sides could agree to those hypothetical parameters: Beal in exchange for Lowry, Oladipo, Jovic, Highsmith and the player that Miami picks for Washington at 18. Those two hypothetical trades - with Jovic/Highsmith as the final component and not Martin - would leave the Heat with five players under contract for next season: Butler (due $45.2 million next season), Adebayo ($32.6 million), Lillard ($45.6 million), Beal ($46.7 million) and Martin ($6.8 million). Their salaries would equal $176.9 million. If Miami filled its 10 other roster spots with veteran players at minimum salaries, that would leave the Heat’s payroll at $193 million or so.

The NBA, for tax and cap purposes, has used the second-year minimum salary (projected to be $1.6 million next season) even for players with considerably more experience, so that teams aren’t discouraged from signing older veterans. A payroll of $193 million would create a tax bill of $90 million next season. If the Heat surrounded Adebayo, Butler, Lillard, Beal and Martin with two undrafted rookies and eight veteran players at the minimum, the payroll would be slightly less and the tax bill would decrease to $85 million or so. Re-signing free agents Gabe Vincent and Max Strus at deals starting at $10 million - and signing eight players to minimum deals to join Butler, Adebayo, Lillard, Beal and Martin in this scenario - would result in a $210 million payroll and $182 million tax bill. A tax bill that size would seemingly be unpalatable for nearly every owner.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

WhyteRyce posted:

Don’t worry guys Sacramento is just doing that thing we always do in the off-season where we chase all these names before settling for Kosta Koufos and Marco

https://twitter.com/damienbarling/status/1669438813264039939?s=20

Are the Kings chasing the high of the Haliburton trade working out in their favor and trying to replicate it by moving Keegan Murray in his second year

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

one of the best shots in nba history

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
AD literally did everything but block it and he still drained a step back one legged three lmao

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

A lot of those bailout threes Jokic hit that series felt like payback for this shot in the Bubble

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJOkrA3VB7c

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Aye Doc posted:

here folks, its the dumbest article you'll read all offseason of June

"How the Heat could acquire both Lillard and Beal and have a Big Four. The steps needed"

Heat culture under assault.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Apparently, Green is finally getting to hire good own assistants now. TSpoon was a SVG-era hire. She still rules and I will miss her.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Supposedly, that was to let him know about TSpoon first since she was close to him and helped him a lot during his missed season.

Also,

https://twitter.com/nick_underhill/status/1669452869433434112?t=xbrEWxwzYtwZEwJ_YibAWA&s=19

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
patented space hook from joker j. Fry

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

xbilkis posted:

Are the Kings chasing the high of the Haliburton trade working out in their favor and trying to replicate it by moving Keegan Murray in his second year

My sweet baby son Hali was tradable because they had another PG that was just as good, but my other son Keegan is supposedly untouchable because we have zero other forwards

Feel free to quote this when Monty trades him anyway

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

nikosoft posted:

but my other son Keegan is supposedly untouchable because we have zero other forwards

Get this…what if we draft his twin brother

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

Jokic is 6'10". Barefoot 7 footers are rare in the nba too.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I thought he was an alcoholic lol

Maybe he was just an irresponsible youth when he got arrested for DUI and then violated his probation with another DUI... was several years ago anyway

big boi posted:

I'm so glad that nobody in the media feigns concern about players and coaches getting absolutely wasted on television during championship parades
whoops

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Fast Luck posted:

I thought he was an alcoholic lol

Maybe he was just an irresponsible youth when he got arrested for DUI and then violated his probation with another DUI... was several years ago anyway

whoops

didn't KCP play an NBA game with an ankle monitor?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

R.D. Mangles posted:

didn't KCP play an NBA game with an ankle monitor?

https://twitter.com/NBAMemes/status/1552023966579138560?s=20

Yup

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lookit this dude

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
i miss nba basketball but the wnba is fun

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011