Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

El Jeffe posted:

Controllers no longer work at all in any game for me now, cool! :thumbsup:

Is nobody else having this problem? I think it's because steam overlay isn't working, yet it's enabled in settings. Shift+tab does nothing. Settings say that's still the hotkey. I submitted a ticket but haven't heard back yet. What should I try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I think I saw some people mentioning a Steam update breaking their controllers in the Diablo 4 thread, but that place moves quickly so I couldn't even guess what page it was on.

I don't see anything recent on google, and of course Reddit's in the middle of reddit things so /r/Steam is closed. Not sure where else to check.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I had an issue in the beta where the Desktop Controller configuration was always enabled despite my not using the Steam Controller stuff, so I'd end up with my gamepad emulating a mouse and various random keyboard keys when I'm trying to play a game outside of Steam. I think I worked around that by setting the desktop gamepad config to the generic gamepad configuration so it was always a gamepad forever.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Would reinstalling steam be a bad idea?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sab669 posted:

Alyx owns though

And you forgot DOTA Underlords :v: (so did they)

Veotax posted:

Hey, Alyx is a great! It made me wish that Valve actually made games more often.
Not saying Alyx is bad, it's just a game that the vast majority of their playerbase will never play due to being VR.

wtf is dota underlords?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Assepoester posted:

wtf is dota underlords?

One of those auto-battlers that was very popular for 2.5 weeks.

People probably still play the League of Legends one, though I don't know what it's called.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Assepoester posted:

Not saying Alyx is bad, it's just a game that the vast majority of their playerbase will never play due to being VR.

wtf is dota underlords?

their attempt to capitalize on the short lived autochess boom. pretty sure it born and died in the same year

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

MMF Freeway posted:

their attempt to capitalize on the short lived autochess boom. pretty sure it born and died in the same year

They made it to compete with Teamfight Tactics and then promptly forgot it existed

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Valve launched it as a copy of the wonderful original autochess, made a bunch of bad decisions, then stopped working on it period in the span of about a year way before the game was actually dead.

It still has 2000 concurrents most of the time, two years after their last update.

How many concurrents does Artifact usually have? 29.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i liked that little autobattler fad. got some cool indies out of it before vampire survivors swept through and turned everything into autoshooters

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm glad Vampire Survivors re-asserted the primacy of single player

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Developers gave up on them prematurely. It was weird honestly. TFT and Underlords didnt successfully improve on dotachess, hearthstone battlegrounds did in some ways and it became hugely popular. For all the talk of "oversaturation" there were never more than a few. The main issue I guess is everyone did a terrible job of monetization.

I would like single player that feels like a big auto chess rolldown but no one's even tried it. There's a lot from the genre that I dont think has been properly learned and should be freed from the confines of a 40 minute 8 player PvP game.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 15, 2023

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'm glad Vampire Survivors re-asserted the primacy of single player
im talking about single player autobattler things like https://store.steampowered.com/app/1569090/Vivid_Knight/

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

No Wave posted:

Developers gave up on them prematurely. It was weird honestly. TFT and Underlords didnt successfully improve on dotachess, hearthstone battlegrounds did in some ways and it became hugely popular. For all the talk of "oversaturation" there were never more than a few. The main issue I guess is everyone did a terrible job of monetization.

I would like single player that feels like a big auto chess rolldown but no one's even tried it. There's a lot from the genre that I dont think has been properly learned and should be freed from the confines of a 40 minute 8 player PvP game.

Yeah I've always wanted to play an autochess single player roguelite, but my sticking point is that I want the "buy phase" to be something that actually happens during combat and not just in between encounters. Every one I've seen does the latter thing and it feels like it misses the point of what makes me like the genre

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Awesome! posted:

im talking about single player autobattler things like https://store.steampowered.com/app/1569090/Vivid_Knight/
Is this good? I'd never heard of it but the genre looks very interesting.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sab669 posted:

People probably still play the League of Legends one, though I don't know what it's called.

They do, I think it's Riot's 3rd most successful game after League and Valorant right now. The lead designer also referred to the League card game as the red headed stepchild which was quite funny.

Anyway I'm another person who played the Jusant demo and immediately wishlisted it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

No Wave posted:

Is this good? I'd never heard of it but the genre looks very interesting.
i thought it was fun. would definitely know within 2 hours if you like it or not.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Did I hear correctly that there’s a decent single player component to Runeterra, or am I confusing something?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Did I hear correctly that there’s a decent single player component to Runeterra, or am I confusing something?
The successful game is TFT. Runeterra has a single player mode called Path of Champions which is like kind of bad Hearthstone Dungeon Run but there's a lot of it. Some people really like it its the only thing people post about in the Runeterra thread anymore.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Rinkles posted:

i didnt really like it that much but it does exist. the mode is called "path of champions" if you want to look up a video of it or something.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Auto battlers died the quick death so extraction shooters could die the long death

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Welp I fixed my controller troubles. Turning steam overlay OFF fixed it somehow. :psyduck:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Gameplay and design fads are something fun for everyone to enjoy. They really shake things up every year or so compared to the doldrums of the late 00s.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 15, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

FastestGunAlive posted:

Auto battlers died the quick death so extraction shooters could die the long death

I just want something like Dark & Darker... But strictly PvE 🙁

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Autobattlers were fine. At least they were not survival-crafting-zombie-battle-royale.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Sab669 posted:

Always loved co op/pve games but I’ve found them more and more preferable the last few years. I think I find streaming and battle passes have changed the way people create and engage with pvp modes in a way that makes it less enjoyable for me

FishMcCool posted:

Autobattlers were fine. At least they were not survival-crafting-zombie-battle-royale.
For sure

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
There's a VS-like called Battle Grid that has a significant autobattler component FWIW

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, you probably spend more time on combining dupes and trying to form sets than you do on the autoshooter parts. i'm not quite sure how well it will turn out, but it's very early access atm.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

there's that auto battle rts, uhhhh, mechabellum? something like that

I have no idea if it's any good, it looks cool

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

only autobattler I'm interested in is Twisted Metal

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sab669 posted:

It's not fantasy but if you want a strictly PVE extraction looter game them Zero Sievert is pretty good.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Super Auto Pets was a good one to come out of the autobattler phase

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's not fantasy but if you want a strictly PVE extraction looter game them Zero Sievert is pretty good.

Looks kinda neat, but yea the fantasy of D&D was a big appeal, as well as coop and existing in a 3D space

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

victrix posted:

there's that auto battle rts, uhhhh, mechabellum? something like that

I have no idea if it's any good, it looks cool
It's really good, I play it all the time.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Give me another autobattler in the style of Ogre Battle 64 TIA

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Man the client is buggy as poo poo now, especially in regard to moving back & forth within pages or even just getting to and staying on a store page. Hope they patch it soon.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

kazil posted:

only autobattler I'm interested in is Twisted Metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mn4RBWv03A

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's sort of impressive that the new Steam UI is just the last one but worse in various little ways

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Has anyone tried Edge of Eternity? It's been on my wishlist for a while, and it's one of those things where "7/10 JRPG" can either be awesome or incredibly terrible and it's tough to tell which from reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

membranoid
Feb 25, 2001

fart huffer
semen chugger
This new Steam UI is giving me flashbacks to 2003. Turn OFF hardware acceleration. Why does it even need that?

membranoid fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 16, 2023