Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

Okay what you do is get trained in nature. Investing a skill point in nature can be a big ask, but it's easier than trying to invest in charisma skills with no charisma to make intimidate checks. Then take the beastmaster dedication. Now you can use your useless third action to give your pet 2 actions.

There are lots of options, but if you pick the big cat the support benefit will make your rogue very happy. The cat doesn't even attack, it just stands there being supportive and "Until the start of your next turn, your Strikes that deal damage to a creature that your cat threatens make the target flat-footed until the end of your next turn." Tell the cat to support, make your two strikes, and unless you whiff twice that dude is flat footed to everyone for a whole turn.

I actually kinda bungled my question. It's not so much that I can't figure out what to do with a third action, but that I *don't* want to end my turn just standing next to a Beard Demon (for example) which leaves me open to just getting absolutely nuked. Like I've got the idea of the Rogue being a mobile striker, but that doesn't really work in practice. Why I've got a Monk as my backup lol, Move --> Flurry of Blows --> Move hell yeah try and catch me! *enemy kills whole team*

My Rogue is actually built for intimidate! +3 Charisma, Expert Intimidation, Dread Striker, and Intimidating Glare (I swear I roll a 3 on every Intimidation check though..)

But yeah my usual plans of attack are:

A) Hope I roll high on Stealth initiative, if I do then: Move --> Strike --> Strike

B) If I'm like last in initiative:

a) Move --> Twin Feint
b) Move --> Feint --> Strike
c) Intimidate --> Move --> Strike

What I really want is a fourth action or a Flurry of Blows for the Rogue, which is why I'm eyeing "Skirmish Strike" (Step then Strike or Strike then Step for 1 Action) at level 6.

I guess it just feels likes I'm blundering if I always end my turns adjacent to an enemy instead of kiting them into me somehow so that I get the ~*~*Action Economy*~*~ advantage.

Beastmaster dedication does sound cool though, like a discount Ranger! I had a ranged-focus bird pet Ranger built as a backup that I never got to use. Idea was procing the Bleed + Dazzled with ranged attacks to help melee allies avoid hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

appropriatemetaphor posted:

(I swear I roll a 3 on every Intimidation check though..)

The number of times my players rolled specifically the number 2 during our last game was mathematically improbable

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

3 Action Economist posted:

Those are things they should spend their *first* actions on, like demoralize. You want to do today before you strike.

Yeah, you're right. I meant to say, "what to do with their extra action".

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
pearly white spindle aeon stones are the poo poo

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Any thoughts on making Thaumaturge more useful in combat? Exploit Vulnerability feels like a black hole that sucks up actions and nothing comes out. You have this thing that's absolutely mandatory to do any damage at all, but can fail, and has to be applied to every target, and even with it the damage is pathetic compared to any martial due to the lower attack bonus, not having an attacking stat as key ability, stuck with 1h, etc...

Also, I keep seeing people online talk up dex builds for Thaumaturge. loving what? "Oh base damage and str bonus don't matter so much, because of EV and Mortal." Every guide I've seen for Thaumatuge is written like 90% of mobs always have some giant 10-20 damage weakness just waiting to be hit by mortal weakness 3 times a around, when I think I've seen maybe 3 mobs so far that have any weakness higher than the tiny personal antithesis buff.

Also for third actions... I guess Demoralize because of CHA? Except it only lasts for one round on a Success, 2 on Critical, and then they're immune for 10 minutes. Maybe Athletics actions if you are STR based, another reason I can't imagine a dex build.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

pearly white spindle aeon stones are the poo poo

The best, makes life so much simpler.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rescue Toaster posted:

Any thoughts on making Thaumaturge more useful in combat? Exploit Vulnerability feels like a black hole that sucks up actions and nothing comes out. You have this thing that's absolutely mandatory to do any damage at all, but can fail, and has to be applied to every target, and even with it the damage is pathetic compared to any martial due to the lower attack bonus, not having an attacking stat as key ability, stuck with 1h, etc...

Also, I keep seeing people online talk up dex builds for Thaumaturge. loving what? "Oh base damage and str bonus don't matter so much, because of EV and Mortal." Every guide I've seen for Thaumatuge is written like 90% of mobs always have some giant 10-20 damage weakness just waiting to be hit by mortal weakness 3 times a around, when I think I've seen maybe 3 mobs so far that have any weakness higher than the tiny personal antithesis buff.

Also for third actions... I guess Demoralize because of CHA? Except it only lasts for one round on a Success, 2 on Critical, and then they're immune for 10 minutes. Maybe Athletics actions if you are STR based, another reason I can't imagine a dex build.

Kind of bouncing off this post, Recall Knowledge in fights (to learn about enemies) feels like a big problem in the system - it being a secret roll really kind of makes it feel bad to use, and players feel terrible if they don't understand how it works, or if they get a crit failure. I want to encourage my players to use it more, but I'm not really sure what could be tweaked to make it possible, and I can't really blame them for being wary of it.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Any recommendations for gear/runes for a harm-focused cloistered cleric?

We're playing Blood Lords, so I think a Staff of Healing is out of the question (which makes like, 90% of threads on this topic moot), but other items are probably okay if they don't use positive energy.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

Kind of bouncing off this post, Recall Knowledge in fights (to learn about enemies) feels like a big problem in the system - it being a secret roll really kind of makes it feel bad to use, and players feel terrible if they don't understand how it works, or if they get a crit failure. I want to encourage my players to use it more, but I'm not really sure what could be tweaked to make it possible, and I can't really blame them for being wary of it.

I just ignore the secret part and I'm extremely generous with the info i give the players, seems to do the trick

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Andrast posted:

I just ignore the secret part and I'm extremely generous with the info i give the players, seems to do the trick
Yup PF rules are largely conservative and have more tolerance than you'd think in what you can give players. You have to use your judgment per fight but it works out.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Rescue Toaster posted:

I haven't played enough to have really well formed opinions about this, but some initial thoughts. I'd appreciate any corrections on my interpretation of mechanics - I'm learning this system and writing this out is helpful to me in learning, but only if y'all correct me where I'm wrong.

Exploit vulnerability isn't secret, so you know the outcome. When you fail, you can still apply the personal antithesis (which you get to define, funnily enough), so failure isn't nothing - at level 1 it's weakness 2 (I think you round down?) and 2 additional damage from implement's empowerment for a total of +4 damage, a solid enough modifier, equal to most casters at level 1 but your strikes are 1 action and their damage cantrips are typically two! It's not limited to once per creature, so on a fail you can retry to fish for a better result. On a success you are able to exploit a mortal weakness if they have one, and if they do it's often much better than personal antithesis. And you have feats to make these results apply to more mobs, or to be sharable with allies, etc.

Esoteric lore is extremely powerful. As I understand it, it counts as an unspecific lore for all creatures. This is almost always better than using arcana or nature, but worse than if you had Lore (kobolds). That's huge! Recall knowledge is another tool by which you can extremely flexibly help your party by sharing lowest saves, etc. Of course, how your GM interprets recall knowledge could help or hurt here.

For possible third actions, bon mot is a skill feat that can be huge on a cha character. Reducing will saves is great for occult casters in particular, but for all traditions too, and it's great for many thaumaturge abilities. And reducing will saves also reduces the will DC of the creature, setting them up for demoralizes by your party.

Ultimately, between your implement actions and your feats you can either specialize into a more damage dealing role, or specialize into a support role. You're never going to do quite as much damage as a purely damage oriented martial because of your flexible support options, but either way you can slot into a party and be a major force multiplier. If you just want to do high damage, a fighter or ranger might work better. But if you want to be tricky and helpful and absolutely steeped in flavor, thaumaturge looks rad.

If you're judging based on level 1 performance, I'd encourage you to wait a few level ups. Level 1 is rough AF for a lot of classes.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope

Arrrthritis posted:

Any recommendations for gear/runes for a harm-focused cloistered cleric?

We're playing Blood Lords, so I think a Staff of Healing is out of the question (which makes like, 90% of threads on this topic moot), but other items are probably okay if they don't use positive energy.

Get a spell heart with a damage cantrip, electric arc or telekinetic projectile. A staff with good debuff spells would be good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I have a couple of things the player can ask, they can choose 2:

• "Adventurer's choice": this is what I, as a player, would want to be the most informed about. Not allowed to choose it twice on the same check. I usually tell a critical weakness or resistance, an immunity, or if it has a reaction if nothing else. This is basically the "opening Recall Knowledge" choice and gives players hints on where to dig further.
  • Stats: Highest Stat, Lowest Stat, Highest Skill, Hit Points, senses
  • Biology: any Resistances, Vulnerabilities, or Immunities
  • Offense: The names of all it's attacks and what they target, unusual damage types, and if it has an offensive reaction
  • Defense: Names and general description of all defensive skills and traits, Highest Save, Lowest Save, if it has a defensive reaction
  • Mobility: Speeds (of all locomotion types), names and general description of any mobility skills and traits, any mobility reactions

On a crit success they get a third topic. On a failure they get nothing, on a Crit Failure leave stuff out (don't list the Reaction on offense. For "Adventurer's Choice" give them something kinda mid.) Leave out an attack, miss a type of locomotion, just omit something important based on feel. I do not believe in feeding the players false information on skill checks as a general rule, it just leads to BadFeels. Missing information is almost as bad and ruins plans nearly as effectively, and it doesn't feel like a GM gotcha. Please note: the names of attacks and general damage stuff is information, you might feel like "hey they critically failed and still got more info than if they jsut failed" and hey you're right, but if you don't tell them about that reaction and leave off the Breath Weapon (or if you know the players know they have it, tell them bogus stuff about it) I can assure you that they players are going to get hurt bad by that, even if they also got something good out of it.

If you absolutely had to give them bad info (and I have, because sometimes there's no real way to omit stuff or maybe they have Dubious Knowledge - I haven't had to deal with that), allow me to soapbox for a moment: please don't do the "it's weak to fire and vulnerable to ice" when it's the exact opposite, that's just bullshit IMO. I would think about giving it a fake reaction, wrong speed, too much HP, shuffle the saves (but do not make the worst the best and vice versa), a fake ability that it doesn't get flat-footed from flanking, that kind of thing. You want players to feel that part of their toolkit has been taken away, burn some extra resources, or to feel overconfident, you don't want them to blow a whole turn on something totally useless.

Keep in mind all my games have been below level 5 so far so it's entirely possible to get very creative with some of the wilder stuff you see in later levels, that's for sure.

You'll notice that there's something good in all of these categories, but that it will take 3 successful Recall Knowledge checks (an entire player's turn) to get them all. If they do, though, it will give them the monster's entire statblock and really allow them to strategize. But 3 actions is a big deal!

It works really good in practice for me, and the PCs love the structure.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 15, 2023

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I have a couple of things the player can ask, they can choose 2:

• "Adventurer's choice": this is what I, as a player, would want to be the most informed about. Not allowed to choose it twice on the same check. I usually tell a critical weakness or resistance, an immunity, or if it has a reaction if nothing else. This is basically the "opening Recall Knowledge" choice and gives players hints on where to dig further.
  • Stats: Highest Stat, Lowest Stat, Highest Skill, Hit Points
  • Biology: any Resistances, Vulnerabilities, or Immunities
  • Offense: The names of all it's attacks and what they target, unusual damage types, and if it has an offensive reaction
  • Defense: Names and general description of all defensive skills and traits, Highest Save, Lowest Save, if it has a defensive reaction
  • Mobility: Speeds (of all locomotion types), names and general description of any mobility skills and traits, any mobility reactions

You'll notice that there's something good in all of these categories, but that it will take 3 successful Recall Knowledge checks (an entire player's turn) to get them all. If they do, though, it will give them the monster's entire statblock and really allow them to strategize. But 3 actions is a big deal!

It works really good in practice for me, and the PCs love the structure.

I am totally stealing this for our next session.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I play it by the book and it works well. If they succeed they get a well known and useful thing about the creature, and on a crit success an additional piece of information that's more detailed. The change from whole stat block chunks is pretty purposeful and i think is more interesting and fun. Lotta questions out there about what to do with third actions, recall knowledge is one of the things you can do without any penalty.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I just edited my original post with some additional info on crit fails and such.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 15, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Oh I forgot to mention on a crit success they get a third topic.

What do you do for critical failures/dubious knowledge?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

The best, makes life so much simpler.

my dm: are you stalling with this ghost

me: just need to keep her talking for *checks hp* 23 more minutes

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I think for my games the GM just makes recall knowledge open roll and you can ask 1 thing for success and 2+ for a crit success.

So usually success you ask weaknesses or lowest save and those seem pretty useful.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

pork never goes bad posted:

I haven't played enough to have really well formed opinions about this, but some initial thoughts. I'd appreciate any corrections on my interpretation of mechanics - I'm learning this system and writing this out is helpful to me in learning, but only if y'all correct me where I'm wrong.

Exploit vulnerability isn't secret, so you know the outcome. When you fail, you can still apply the personal antithesis (which you get to define, funnily enough), so failure isn't nothing - at level 1 it's weakness 2 (I think you round down?) and 2 additional damage from implement's empowerment for a total of +4 damage, a solid enough modifier, equal to most casters at level 1 but your strikes are 1 action and their damage cantrips are typically two! It's not limited to once per creature, so on a fail you can retry to fish for a better result. On a success you are able to exploit a mortal weakness if they have one, and if they do it's often much better than personal antithesis. And you have feats to make these results apply to more mobs, or to be sharable with allies, etc.

Esoteric lore is extremely powerful. As I understand it, it counts as an unspecific lore for all creatures. This is almost always better than using arcana or nature, but worse than if you had Lore (kobolds). That's huge! Recall knowledge is another tool by which you can extremely flexibly help your party by sharing lowest saves, etc. Of course, how your GM interprets recall knowledge could help or hurt here.

For possible third actions, bon mot is a skill feat that can be huge on a cha character. Reducing will saves is great for occult casters in particular, but for all traditions too, and it's great for many thaumaturge abilities. And reducing will saves also reduces the will DC of the creature, setting them up for demoralizes by your party.

Ultimately, between your implement actions and your feats you can either specialize into a more damage dealing role, or specialize into a support role. You're never going to do quite as much damage as a purely damage oriented martial because of your flexible support options, but either way you can slot into a party and be a major force multiplier. If you just want to do high damage, a fighter or ranger might work better. But if you want to be tricky and helpful and absolutely steeped in flavor, thaumaturge looks rad.

If you're judging based on level 1 performance, I'd encourage you to wait a few level ups. Level 1 is rough AF for a lot of classes.

I guess my point of feeling like EV doesn't do anything is from the side that it feels like a penalty rather than a cool addition, if that makes sense. It doesn't feel like 'This is a cool thing I can do.' it feels like 'This is a cost I have to constantly pay to do any damage.' Oh, I just got EV up on a target and someone else finished it, whoops there's another wasted action. Hey I nailed EV and got three good hits on this guy... and still did less damage total than the tank did in a one-action crit. Half the time even if you crit a lore check, well the monster doesn't have any particular weaknesses or resistances, I guess in this case say reflex is the weakest save, not that it makes any difference to the Thaumaturge since he can't target it, so hopefully the wizard has a reflex spell left for the day, otherwise that crit lore success was just yet another wasted action.

As much as I love so many of the mechanics and stuff in pathfinder 2e, I don't think I've ever played a game where people felt 'Well that was another wasted round.' 'That was a total waste of a crit.' 'That was a waste of a daily.' as often as pathfinder 2e, and I guess the Thaumaturge feels like that a lot to me.

I'm fully willing to accept I'm just missing obvious stuff but... the description in Dark Archive is like "During combat encounters... You use your implements and diverse arsenal of mystic tools and tricks to assist in combat..." What character is that? I would love to see that character. Maybe a Thaumaturge becomes that much later on when you have multiple implements and enhancements and stuff. One of the things I was promised/hoping/looking forward to in pf2e is that characters felt like their class before hitting level 5 as is often the case in dnd5e. The wizard feels like a wizard, the tanks feel like tanks, the Thaumaturge feels like... I don't know, a 3.5E fighter with like one or two feats but normally just bangs away standard strike because none of the 'diverse arsenal of mystic tools and tricks' ever actually pays off. It never feels satisfying, it feels like pull out all the stops and land everything to just barely not get humiliated by other characters.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I do remember reading somewhere online (reddit?) that when players critically failed their Recall Knowledge rolls the GM would make up particularly devastating bad info (the aforementioned "the highest save is the lowest" and "the immunity is the weakness" type stuff) and the players eventually stopped using it because when they crit whiffed it they got punished so hard.

Also if you are comparing your Tham to a Fighter...well sorry. Fighter at lower levels is right over the line of busted IMO, and I don't come by that lightly. S-Tier poo poo.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
I'm playing a Thaum in bloodlords and I have a ton of magical doodads. Getting a 2nd implement really helps, I am doing Mirror and Weapon. The feats to get free tailsmans (buffed from treasure vault) and scrolls are amazing (You can pick from any spell list). Thaums have the best average damage since so much of it is flat modifiers.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Rescue Toaster posted:

I guess my point of feeling like EV doesn't do anything is from the side that it feels like a penalty rather than a cool addition, if that makes sense. It doesn't feel like 'This is a cool thing I can do.' it feels like 'This is a cost I have to constantly pay to do any damage.' Oh, I just got EV up on a target and someone else finished it, whoops there's another wasted action. Hey I nailed EV and got three good hits on this guy... and still did less damage total than the tank did in a one-action crit. Half the time even if you crit a lore check, well the monster doesn't have any particular weaknesses or resistances, I guess in this case say reflex is the weakest save, not that it makes any difference to the Thaumaturge since he can't target it, so hopefully the wizard has a reflex spell left for the day, otherwise that crit lore success was just yet another wasted action.

As much as I love so many of the mechanics and stuff in pathfinder 2e, I don't think I've ever played a game where people felt 'Well that was another wasted round.' 'That was a total waste of a crit.' 'That was a waste of a daily.' as often as pathfinder 2e, and I guess the Thaumaturge feels like that a lot to me.

I'm fully willing to accept I'm just missing obvious stuff but... the description in Dark Archive is like "During combat encounters... You use your implements and diverse arsenal of mystic tools and tricks to assist in combat..." What character is that? I would love to see that character. Maybe a Thaumaturge becomes that much later on when you have multiple implements and enhancements and stuff. One of the things I was promised/hoping/looking forward to in pf2e is that characters felt like their class before hitting level 5 as is often the case in dnd5e. The wizard feels like a wizard, the tanks feel like tanks, the Thaumaturge feels like... I don't know, a 3.5E fighter with like one or two feats but normally just bangs away standard strike because none of the 'diverse arsenal of mystic tools and tricks' ever actually pays off. It never feels satisfying, it feels like pull out all the stops and land everything to just barely not get humiliated by other characters.

Thaums are not martials. You aren’t going to deal fighter damage.

You have a lot of tools like a universal maxed out recall knowledge against all enemies, use of any scroll with a feat, all the cool poo poo your implements do, sharing of EV, and various other things

You’re not supposed to be the primary hit things person, you’re a support class that can hit stuff reasonably well while having a bunch of other options available

If your goal is to hit things really hard then other classes are better choices

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Rescue Toaster posted:

diverse arsenal of mystic tools and tricks to assist in combat..." What character is that? I would love to see that character..

Well it says "assist" and if your EV and subsequent strikes, plus passing that info on to your allies, means they get the killing blow, you've still assisted.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 16, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I do remember reading somewhere online (reddit?) that when players critically failed their Recall Knowledge rolls the GM would make up particularly devastating bad info (the aforementioned "the highest save is the lowest" and "the immunity is the weakness" type stuff) and the players eventually stopped using it because when they crit whiffed it they got punished so hard.

Also if you are comparing your Tham to a Fighter...well sorry. Fighter at lower levels is right over the line of busted IMO, and I don't come by that lightly. S-Tier poo poo.

Yeah I have just been giving wrong information about the creature's narrative purpose, but nothing actively destructive. Like I mentioned a shadow was what came from a gnome that had died after undergoing the Bleaching or something. My players just aren't even trying, and I have this feeling it's the one thing they're missing. We're about to hit level 3 of the abomination vaults and that's when poo poo really hits the fan according to y'all, so I'd like to sort stuff out before that.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
My Thaumaturge is only a baby, but the damage feels fine. At level 1 with maxed strength, I add at least 5 damage, 7 damage with a failed EV, and 7 or more if the enemy has a weakness. EV is against the targets standard DC, so it's mathematically easy to get a success with maxed charisma. Also on a successful EV, a known weakness is shared amongst creatures of the same type, so that can save some actions spent.

If your in a campaign with creatures that don't have many weaknesses, maybe bring it up to the DM?

As for additional actions: for the most part our party has only been three players, with only me as melee. I've been using feint a lot to get the target flat footed. Since charisma is my highest stat, it ends up working on most things we've run across so far. Demoralize and bon mot are also good choices due to high CHA.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Fighter is honestly the bigger problem in general. There’s fighter which just does everything, then there’s other martials where they might have a razor thin advantage over a fighter in their one narrow specialty

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Rescue Toaster posted:

So I think there's a few things I wanna say here. The first, and probably the most important, is that I'm not gonna disagree with you about how playing thaumaturge feels for you. If you don't like it, I totally get that, and I'm not trying to say you're enjoying (or not) PF2E wrong. I much prefer playing support characters which enable and set up others to being the star damage dealer but that is absolutely a preference. The play-feel of different characters is as important, if not more so, than the class fantasy they're going for.

That said, I think there's a few things you could think about that might help you enjoy it a bit more.

In pf2 it's definitely possible to waste actions. Knowing which enemies to focus your action economy on is a learned skill and even once you're better at it you'll end up whiffing - the nature of a tactical d20 game. Early on, it feels bad because you make a lot of suboptimal choices and so do your teammates. But as you begin to get in the swing of your abilities, and as your party begins exploiting the useful knowledge you provide by making synergistic choices, you'll often see fights snowball towards victory much faster or with far fewer resources expended than if it was just all fighters swinging swords.

To that end, when you find a weakness that you yourself cannot exploit (eg, lowest save is reflex), you don't just have the wizard's spells - trip targets reflex! Any strength based martial should love knowing when they can trip a tough enemy easily. It costs one player action to waste one enemy action to stand up, which may trigger AOO if anyone has it, and while the enemy is prone they take an AC penalty. On a room of mooks, this isn't so useful. But if you're 4 party members against 2 tough enemies, that's costing 1/12 of your team's action economy to waste twice that much of the enemy's actions. A wonderful trade! But if you don't know that the reflex save is low, you probably wouldn't try for that since you could be very unlikely to land it.

If you're focused on whether or how much the actions you take benefit you, the options can look pretty underwhelming. But character optimization happens at the table. When different characters use complementary abilities to increase everyone's abilities in synergistic ways resulting in a win that would have been a loss, or a win that spends fewer resources than it otherwise would have, that can feel really amazing. Thaumaturge is really very powerful in this way - assisting and enabling allies, while being able to take and dish out reasonable if not top tier damage along the way. You're much more likely to snowball with a thaumaturge than without.

Re: the classes feeling like the classes before level 5, at level 2 as a thaum you have two thaum feats which distinguish you from every other character on top of the class features you get at level 1. Your implement and feats make your playstyle unique, opening a bunch of really novel play options both in and out of combat. If you're struggling to find things to do that aren't just EV then 2 strikes, followed by three strikes on future turns, maybe post some of your character choices and we can make suggestions for how to use the implement and feats in useful ways. And if you are struggling to find useful ways your party can exploit the info you provide, let us know the party comp and we can make suggestions as to how they can multiply the benefit of your fundamental class trait - exploit vulnerability.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

My players and I switched over to pf2e a couple years ago, after playing 5e together for several years. They love the new system, but I think they were a little sad that during our time playing 5e, we never fought a few iconic monsters, including Beholders.

Well, in the next couple sessions, they are about to Delve Too Deep, and I thought it would be fun to throw something very Beholder-inspired at them as the boss of the dungeon. It's not a direct port (hence the new name), but I hope it can capture some of the feeling / terror of fighting a Beholder in 5e. For reference, my players are level 10, and they are generally pretty good at playing tactically. They have a cleric, and several allies near by, so I am not too worried about long-term status effects from this monster.

Tell me what you think! Is this thing too nasty? https://monster.pf2.tools/v/HPmQoMJH-all-seer

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Seems solid, I’d consider giving it an alternate multiple eye beam attack at a 2 or 3 action threshold that beams multiple targets so you have a choice on your turn. I don’t see ranges on its eye beam attacks, either of them. Not a big deal really.

Its also fairly slow, ranged attack heavy and has no way to get out of melee bar slowly floating upwards. AoO spam will murder it. So unless you want to have it play keep away by floating out of melee range, give it an option for getting out of melee on some kind of cooldown. Maybe it expels gas out of its mouth jetting backwards with a bonus to AC or not provoking reactions.

HidaO-Win fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 16, 2023

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

pork never goes bad posted:

So I think there's a few things I wanna say here. The first, and probably the most important, is that I'm not gonna disagree with you about how playing thaumaturge feels for you. If you don't like it, I totally get that, and I'm not trying to say you're enjoying (or not) PF2E wrong. I much prefer playing support characters which enable and set up others to being the star damage dealer but that is absolutely a preference. The play-feel of different characters is as important, if not more so, than the class fantasy they're going for.

That said, I think there's a few things you could think about that might help you enjoy it a bit more.

In pf2 it's definitely possible to waste actions. Knowing which enemies to focus your action economy on is a learned skill and even once you're better at it you'll end up whiffing - the nature of a tactical d20 game. Early on, it feels bad because you make a lot of suboptimal choices and so do your teammates. But as you begin to get in the swing of your abilities, and as your party begins exploiting the useful knowledge you provide by making synergistic choices, you'll often see fights snowball towards victory much faster or with far fewer resources expended than if it was just all fighters swinging swords.

To that end, when you find a weakness that you yourself cannot exploit (eg, lowest save is reflex), you don't just have the wizard's spells - trip targets reflex! Any strength based martial should love knowing when they can trip a tough enemy easily. It costs one player action to waste one enemy action to stand up, which may trigger AOO if anyone has it, and while the enemy is prone they take an AC penalty. On a room of mooks, this isn't so useful. But if you're 4 party members against 2 tough enemies, that's costing 1/12 of your team's action economy to waste twice that much of the enemy's actions. A wonderful trade! But if you don't know that the reflex save is low, you probably wouldn't try for that since you could be very unlikely to land it.

If you're focused on whether or how much the actions you take benefit you, the options can look pretty underwhelming. But character optimization happens at the table. When different characters use complementary abilities to increase everyone's abilities in synergistic ways resulting in a win that would have been a loss, or a win that spends fewer resources than it otherwise would have, that can feel really amazing. Thaumaturge is really very powerful in this way - assisting and enabling allies, while being able to take and dish out reasonable if not top tier damage along the way. You're much more likely to snowball with a thaumaturge than without.

Re: the classes feeling like the classes before level 5, at level 2 as a thaum you have two thaum feats which distinguish you from every other character on top of the class features you get at level 1. Your implement and feats make your playstyle unique, opening a bunch of really novel play options both in and out of combat. If you're struggling to find things to do that aren't just EV then 2 strikes, followed by three strikes on future turns, maybe post some of your character choices and we can make suggestions for how to use the implement and feats in useful ways. And if you are struggling to find useful ways your party can exploit the info you provide, let us know the party comp and we can make suggestions as to how they can multiply the benefit of your fundamental class trait - exploit vulnerability.

Thanks for writing this out. I've shared it with my parties because it helps articulate things in a way that they'll understand and appreciate beyond me just saying it at them.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Also: as a Cha-based class Thaumaturge is really set up well at low levels to get an attack cantrip from an ancestry feat, since innate spells are all cha-based. It enables a nice round 1 Exploit Vulnerability+Cantrip, round 2 move + attack (or intimidate) + attack combo once the enemies are generally close. Getting Recall Knowledge checks on enemies with Diverse Lore is really good as mentioned if your DM is willing to actually give you some good info re: saves or special abilities or whatever and you have people in your party able to take advantage of it.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I do appreciate all the feedback, I'm not just being contrarian or whatever, so I do appreciate the sincere replies.

Going to do a deep dive through all the thaumaturge feats and implements again with a closer eye on what the other party members have developed into so far, see where things can match up better.

E: v Ha, I was going to say mirror feels like one of the weakest. Since most enemies don't have AOO, you can usually just move into flank anyway. Obviously not always and there's certainly times the teleport is handy. But the enhanced version where you shatter when hit also hits allies, which is pretty ridiculous, since the enemy could deliberately strike the one near your allies, as it's likely one of them remained there.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 16, 2023

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Rescue Toaster posted:

I dunno man one of my players is a weapon/mirror wielder and he's basically an annoying tank that does a ton of damage

Also basically always making enemies flat footed. Words can't express how annoying mirror is for a gm

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

HidaO-Win posted:

Seems solid, I’d consider giving it an alternate multiple eye beam attack at a 2 or 3 action threshold that beams multiple targets so you have a choice on your turn. I don’t see ranges on its eye beam attacks, either of them. Not a big deal really.

Its also fairly slow, ranged attack heavy and has no way to get out of melee bar slowly floating upwards. AoO spam will murder it. So unless you want to have it play keep away by floating out of melee range, give it an option for getting out of melee on some kind of cooldown. Maybe it expels gas out of its mouth jetting backwards with a bonus to AC or not provoking reactions.

Thank you for this feedback; I think your ideas were very good. I ended up giving its eye attacks 60-foot range, gave it the ability to spend 2 actions to attack 3 times with its eye beams, and gave it a reaction that lets it move up to its speed without triggering reactions if it starts its turn within an enemy's reach. Hopefully that's not too frustrating for players with reactions; I figure they are still getting something good for chasing the All-Seer, since using its reaction to escape means that it can't use its Reactive Beam ability that turn. (The original link should reflect this update.)

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 16, 2023

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Rescue Toaster posted:

I do appreciate all the feedback, I'm not just being contrarian or whatever, so I do appreciate the sincere replies.

Going to do a deep dive through all the thaumaturge feats and implements again with a closer eye on what the other party members have developed into so far, see where things can match up better.

E: v Ha, I was going to say mirror feels like one of the weakest. Since most enemies don't have AOO, you can usually just move into flank anyway. Obviously not always and there's certainly times the teleport is handy. But the enhanced version where you shatter when hit also hits allies, which is pretty ridiculous, since the enemy could deliberately strike the one near your allies, as it's likely one of them remained there.

Don't worry - you definitely aren't coming across to me as contrarian or unreasonable or anything like that. I think you're expressing reactions to the system and to the way your class works (similar kinds of things apply to most casters and to most "tricky" martials like swashbuckler and gunslinger) that a lot of people have expressed. Some have worked through them to be happy with their class and the system, and others maybe had to switch classes or even bounced off pf2. And decisions by your GM and the other players can definitely exacerbate the things you're seeing.

We've had this sort of experience in the game I'm playing in now where the swashbuckler and the gunslinger had sessions at level 1 and 2 where their gimmicks just didn't fire and it seemed like it felt really bad. But they've also had some great sessions since and the dm has made sure encounters provide good challenges for our party comp with opportunities for all players to shine and they've definitely come around.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sugar free jazz posted:

Thaums are not martials. You aren’t going to deal fighter damage.

You have a lot of tools like a universal maxed out recall knowledge against all enemies, use of any scroll with a feat, all the cool poo poo your implements do, sharing of EV, and various other things

You’re not supposed to be the primary hit things person, you’re a support class that can hit stuff reasonably well while having a bunch of other options available

If your goal is to hit things really hard then other classes are better choices

Thaums are very much martials and do very comparable damage to the other ones.

Not that I really disagree with you on the general point. Thaums have a very large bag of tricks and offer a lot to the team in addition to the damage.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 16, 2023

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

My thaumaturge I posted about earlier has been doing great. I actually played a fighter beforehand and with this thaum I'm still the party's primary melee front liner. I'm doing damage roughly par to what I was doing as a fighter, but I'm less durable, and if enemies really focus on me I have more trouble staying on my feet.

I am MUCH more useful as a character outside of combat though, and diverse lore combined with tome is paying huge dividends towards exploration, especially since the rest of the party is pretty light on lore skills. The fighter was a cavalier archetype who did mounted charges, absolutely devastating in melee, but the only time he was ever useful outside of combat was when we did the dinosaur rodeo (which he naturally crushed). Overall I'm having much more fun playing thaum, and it gives me more opportunities to have my roleplay actually backed by dice rolls/mechanics. I think the designers really wanted thaums to be a swiss army knife kind of class where you can make them fit pretty much any role. Party support, ranged, melee, skill monkey, gear/item specialist, they're all mechanically supported in some way provided you know what you want to do before you start your build (though thats true of most classes in 2e).

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Crafting question.

We’ve got a silver cane sword that no one can use or wants to use. What’s the easiest way to like reforge it into something else?

Otari has a blacksmith so presumably we just ask him to do it but what does that cost vs just buying a new low-grade silver weapon for 40gp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Crafting question.

We’ve got a silver cane sword that no one can use or wants to use. What’s the easiest way to like reforge it into something else?

Otari has a blacksmith so presumably we just ask him to do it but what does that cost vs just buying a new low-grade silver weapon for 40gp?

Earn Income is a decent baseline for how much a job should cost, if materials are being provided. In the case of Otari specifically, Carman from Blades For Glades is level 6 and you can assume he's at least an Expert at Crafting. So 2 GP per day to work on a level 2 item for 4 days.

Or just fudge it and make the reforge cost a % of what the item normally would.