Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ImpAtom posted:

Floofy chocobos have the best brains for tanning sadly.

They've shown her off repeatedly, she is the chocobo you ride around in game.

I wonder what the life expectancy is for a Chocobo because that’s 13 years later

EDIT: Apparently Ostriches can live up to 70 years in captivity so I guess it’s not too unusual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That chocobo is the dominant for Fat Chocobo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

There's four abilities minimum. Each Eikon gets a ability that's the summon's iconic attack as a hard-hitting high cooldown ability. You can see them in the launch stream battle demo. In said demo you can also see Phoenix has like six abilities (Rising Flame, Scarlet Cyclone, and Heatwave from the demo, Flames of Rebirth as the super, and then 'Ignition' and 'Will-o-the-Wykes' after those) so the same might be true for the others as well.

Oh, cool! I knew about the "ultimate" and just forgot about it, but not the other abilities.

jokes posted:

I do so wish the chocobos were floofier. FFXV and FFX had really excellent chocobos and they were very floofy.

These are gritty, rated-M-for-Mature chocobos. No floofiness allowed!

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 15, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

They've shown her off repeatedly, she is the chocobo you ride around in game.

Oh sick I didn't catch that was the same chocobo. Neat!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Itzena posted:

Thunder God Cid needs to be verbose imo.

Jesus christ. I just realized that since Cid is the Dominant for Ramuh he actually is Thunder God Cid. drat you YoshiP!!!!!!!! :argh:

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

Ulio posted:

I really don't get this because we are now in a era of two Final Fantasy games being worked on at all time. Just like Resident Evil remakes + new RE games. There is the third person and the first person games. There is the new FF games which could just be no party but the FF7 remakes have a party.

The Nvidia leak which has been 100% accurate said there is a FFIX remake in the works and now we are even getting rumors of a FFX remake. So those that want the old school party type system will still get it with the remakes. Also JRPG seem to be having a great time, with multiple Persona games, new IP by Atlus, Dragon Quest in works, KH4, Yakuza turn based, Nihon Falcom games. There is poo poo ton of things to choose if you want your more stereotypical JRPGs.

Completely agree. Without getting too Paul Atreides about it, without this kind of innovation in form and function the series would stagnate. I think with FFXV they were starting to recognise that but didn't have the courage to go far enough, and it ended up being a hybrid of turn-based and active battling which they didn't really figure out until FFVII-R. I also think that the success of FFXIV has given them the deserved confidence to let the story elements be just as much of a draw as the mechanics.

I absolutely loved the demo and have pre-ordered a hard copy. It comes with little sew-on patches.

I am stoked.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

:popeye:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mordiceius posted:

Jesus christ. I just realized that since Cid is the Dominant for Ramuh he actually is Thunder God Cid. drat you YoshiP!!!!!!!! :argh:

Let's just hope he's as talkative during his boss fight as in FFXIV.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

god drat it I didn't notice this lmao

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Mainwaring posted:

Active time lore is the funniest goddamn thing they could have called it

Just lore.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

CuriousSymptoms posted:

Completely agree. Without getting too Paul Atreides about it, without this kind of innovation in form and function the series would stagnate. I think with FFXV they were starting to recognise that but didn't have the courage to go far enough, and it ended up being a hybrid of turn-based and active battling which they didn't really figure out until FFVII-R. I also think that the success of FFXIV has given them the deserved confidence to let the story elements be just as much of a draw as the mechanics.

I absolutely loved the demo and have pre-ordered a hard copy. It comes with little sew-on patches.

I am stoked.

I personally think FF really needs parties, but I'm a purist.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Liked the demo but some of the story wise narratives are just a bit too long. And the game of thrones dirty talking caught me off guard.

Still going to be picking the game up. Really enjoyed the combat. Though I had to remove the Once accessory that does the dodging for you - If possible.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Don't have ps5 but will likely pick one up this weekend and preorder 16 as it seems like a return to form.

Question, without having played the demo will we be able to slap around some firaga or Ultima eventually? How does casting work exactly with one character who primarily uses a sword it looks like?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Square is melee attack Triangle is cast magic, both can be charged, what type of magic you're casting depends on what Eikon you're currently using, and it looks like you can have 3 equipped a time that you hotswap between.

night yorb
Apr 21, 2023
Just another voice chiming in to say that this game made me buy the console as well. So far I've just been enjoying a nice FF7Remake replay with the ps5 upgrade and I really hope I can get through that and the Intermission content before the launch of FFXVI. Summer of JRPG is starting off with a bang. I can't believe Yoshi-P and his team turned me into a staunch final fantasy enjoyer. When I was in high school, almost 15 years ago, I remember telling my girlfriend at the time I would never play a final fantasy and that it sucked. I was such a baby and wrong as hell. I definitely didn't grow up with the series, but it has really grown on me and I can't wait to lose myself in this new world too.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

HD DAD posted:

I still think we’ve seen almost nothing from the second half of the game.

That's where the sexual content will be. 40 hours of it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zotix posted:

Don't have ps5 but will likely pick one up this weekend and preorder 16 as it seems like a return to form.

Question, without having played the demo will we be able to slap around some firaga or Ultima eventually? How does casting work exactly with one character who primarily uses a sword it looks like?

I don't think magic is really a thing in this in the same way as other FF games and RPGs. It seems like every Eikon "form" just has a generic ranged magic attack that can be optionally charged.

It doesn't *seem* like these attacks are functionally any different between forms, outside of there possibly being "elemental weaknesses" involved.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I've come bearing gifts.

Garuda's theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkeeZqFaRpM
Bahamut's theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMJwjKjmemk
Odin's theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvBSWkNZ_tg

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Detective No. 27 posted:

Final Fantasy 1 came out in December 1987.
Final Fantasy XII came out in March 2006.

There were little over eighteen years between 1 and 12.
There will have been seventeen years since Final Fantasy 12 and 15 next week.

Final Fantasy has been non-turn based for nearly as long as it was turn based.

I don’t really even see how it’s a controversy, Final Fantasy had always been experimenting with the battle system. Turn based isn’t even dead, Square themselves still release plenty of turn based RPGs. And Final Fantasy’s biggest competitors outside of Square are turn based. I think the only people who complain about Final Fantasy not being turn based anymore are the people who’s only JRPG experience is the Final Fantasy series.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

E: a big thing that also helps is that it sounds like a script supervisor finally put their foot down and told square enix to stop having their characters grunt so much

It's not a thing that ever bothered me but yeah it does seem like there is movement on that front in localization.

I've noticed several changes now between the english/japanese FF7R2 trailer, like the scene where they are talking in the Kalm Inn about Sephiroth the japanese version has Cloud audibly breathe in surprise after Tifa speaks, the english trailer omits the sound while still retaining the cut to Cloud's reaction.

Given how extremely open to criticism and fan perception Square has been in the dev process to FF7R there is no way someone in their localization dept wasn't watching that Dunkey video and going "gently caress."

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
as a die hard turn based enthusiast, I actually preferred the combat from this demo to the hybrid one from ff7r, greatly.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I appreciate both real-time action and turn-based in equal measure, though I must admit the balance of the battles in FF7R is probably one of the most expertly crafted interface compromises in recent videogame history, just insane levels of have your cake and eat it too, and I can't even imagine how much blood and sweat went into workshopping that poo poo during development.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

runaway dog posted:

as a die hard turn based enthusiast, I actually preferred the combat from this demo to the hybrid one from ff7r, greatly.

Same here, if a game is gonna be real time, I'd rather it commit to it than trying to have it both ways. FFVIIR was a little too close to real-time-with-pause, I hate swapping around between characters manually. Let me either focus in one one exclusively, like in this game, or switch between them in turn.

As long as Squenix keeps making stuff like Octopath on the side, I don't mind the main series doing things like this.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You switch characters by pushing a direction on the d pad?

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You
yea you swap between green clive, red clive, and yellow clive

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Purple Clive is grape flavor

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It used to be, then there was a timeskip and it's wine now

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I was hyped on the demo after the normal part but just now I played the eikonic challenge and holyyyyy poo poo

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The full Moongazing trailer just dropped, and it probably shows a little too much. drat if it didn't get me feelin something though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVWo-M8tN7g

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
And here I was thinking this was the main theme song.
https://youtu.be/oud0aJQ_Q2A

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

I think the only summon not in promo material they've publicly commented on was Alexander and that was them saying they couldn't find a way to fit it in

Pure speculation: The emperor is Alexander's dominant, and Alexander is the final boss. It would fit with the "shining future" quote from Clive's mom

Also, for some reason I've got "a little San Brequois, a little San Brequois for me" stuck in my head from the Alex Jones threads.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

Pure speculation: The emperor is Alexander's dominant, and Alexander is the final boss. It would fit with the "shining future" quote from Clive's mom

Also, for some reason I've got "a little San Brequois, a little San Brequois for me" stuck in my head from the Alex Jones threads.

My own wild speculation on top of this: the emperor is trying to make an artificial Eikon from Fallen technology which he dubs Alexander.

That's right, it'll be an Attack on Titan vs Gundam crossover.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ibblebibble posted:

My own wild speculation on top of this: the emperor is trying to make an artificial Eikon from Fallen technology which he dubs Alexander.

That's right, it'll be an Attack on Titan vs Gundam crossover.

The Legacy of the Crystals...

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I know there were some Eva references in FF14 but I wasn't expecting the dummy plug scene and Adam to be in 16.

Devil May Cry-Final Fantasy-Game of Thrones-Evangelion is basically the most perfect combination I could dream of, what a great time to be a weeb and alive.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Can I just

loving

See Clive’s dick

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

jokes posted:

Can I just

loving

See Clive’s dick

Clive’s dick is modeled with more polygons than a XIV 1.0 barrel.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

HD DAD posted:

Clive’s dick is modeled with more polygons than a XIV 1.0 barrel.

And the grapes???

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

jokes posted:

And the grapes???

Who do you think gave all those polygons to Clive's dick?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i can't wait for the homosexual final fantasy encounter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
They said this is a 40 hour game. The first 2 hours are in the demo. The other 38 hours are just hardcore gay sex.