Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, often in the comics Miles is indistinguishable from Peter, writing wise. He doesn’t stand out in any way the movie or game Mileses do. His culture is basically ignored, probably because the (often) white writers don’t want to make any faux pas, so they avoid it completely, which just makes him bland.

Movie Miles has black writers and directors who understand and know what they’re talking about, so Miles gets infused with lived experiences and he’s so much more rounded and compelling. ITSV still makes me cry because I love that little guy and I want him to do well. :unsmith:

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's impressive how miles manages to have a million times more character than Peter Parker in all the live action movies despite actually being pretty close to that formula

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained
Comics Miles really does squander the character. Getting tangled up with the whole Ultimate Universe thing was a rough start, and then not really giving him much to do other than rehashes of Peter's old stories since then. I think the first time they breathed some life into Miles was when Jason Reynolds wrote a Miles Morales: Spider-man young adult novel--it came out even before the first Spider-verse movie. It fleshed out his neighborhood and people in his community in a way that was really transformational (and even does a bit of the same for Ganke).

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Btw since no one asked, the best Spider-Man is Superior Spider-Man... It's right in the name.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Mantis42 posted:

Btw since no one asked, the best Spider-Man is Superior Spider-Man... It's right in the name.

Eeeeehhhh...only when written by authors who aren't Dan Slott. It's funny how much better that was when other writers used him.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The first PS4 Spider-man game came out before Spiderverse made everybody know about Miles Morales, so it drags out Miles' introduction hilariously slowly. Like reading an alphabet book to a baby, but instead of letters it's the concept of a black spider-man.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Speaking of video game Miles and Prowler Miles, my new dream is for Earth 42 Miles to be a good guy and he builds our Miles the LED helmet from the video game. That would look unbelievably cool in their animation style.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MokBa posted:

Speaking of video game Miles and Prowler Miles, my new dream is for Earth 42 Miles to be a good guy and he builds our Miles the LED helmet from the video game. That would look unbelievably cool in their animation style.

Earth 42 Miles is gonna turn out to be pretty well adjusted in spite of everything.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

people are making spidersonas again and these are some of the more interesting ones i've seen

https://twitter.com/kerumunan/status/1668324296853450752?t=DGa5Fcz2t2M4vc2-CF_yWQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/GNlukprajaotakk/status/1668613114882060289?t=KDRusGoK5v2NnQtWatBjJw&s=19

https://twitter.com/flying_frappe/status/1669381158054817792?t=PWdWzFBWjpKG4OToTl6RvQ&s=19

The subtitles for "see you back home Spider-Man" had the word "home" translated in bahasa to "kampung" which can also mean a tranquil malay village

https://twitter.com/tecotit/status/1668609222744092672?t=bcyKZDssD2zqRd9Ghn8KBg&s=19

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And MCU Peter Parker came full circle in stealing bits from Miles. There was a whole video going into detail about how the movie basically reinvented Miles with much needed characterisation making him distinct from Peter. He's a lot more extraverted, artistic and community focused than the aloof nerd Peter, which is kinda highlighted with Peter B.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That's a good way of putting it. It's been a long time since I read USM so I couldn't really articulate the difference that well tbh

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

people are making spidersonas again and these are some of the more interesting ones i've seen

https://twitter.com/kerumunan/status/1668324296853450752?t=DGa5Fcz2t2M4vc2-CF_yWQ&s=19

The subtitles for "see you back home Spider-Man" had the word "home" translated in bahasa to "kampung" which can also mean a tranquil malay village

https://twitter.com/tecotit/status/1668609222744092672?t=bcyKZDssD2zqRd9Ghn8KBg&s=19

I can almost understand Minang (I am half Minang) so the appropriately feminine Minang Spidey (it's a matrilineal culture) is saying "don't try to mess with me when I'm sleeping or this saucer is gonna fly, you dig?".

Also The Spot would say that if he's Malay.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Miles' backstory from the first Spiderverse movie and from the Insomniac game are completely mushed together in my memory lol.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

mcmagic posted:

Miles' backstory from the first Spiderverse movie and from the Insomniac game are completely mushed together in my memory lol.

I saw it with somebody who hasn't played the game and didn't have a non-spoilery way to ask "Hey I forget, is Jeff alive or not at the end of the movie?" so I just waited for the film to start. Then it became a A Whole Thing and I patted myself on the back for being prudent.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

my friends and i laughed a lot at the malay translation and love the fan art

for more context, kampung is normally in reference to your larger family's hometown which oftentimes is a village, and most people "balik kampung" during festive seasons and so they visit everyone else, normally with festive wear

hence the traditional wear that spot is using, it's what men would wear when they balik kampung ( well, they'd have more clothes on but the idea is there)

we also talked a bit about the best translation and we think it's probably best to go for"jumpa lagi" which is roughly see you soon! doesnt have the home connotation in the original line but eh, the meaning gets across

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This movie was a whole lot of fun and I really liked the whole vibe but should they really need 6 hours to tell this story?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you have to make 3 movies why not split it. (And no doubt it was contracted for 2 more movies after into the spiderverse )

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

mcmagic posted:

This movie was a whole lot of fun and I really liked the whole vibe but should they really need 6 hours to tell this story?

What exactly do you propose that they cut, because I can't think of a single thing

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fangz posted:

What exactly do you propose that they cut, because I can't think of a single thing
Rather than cutting stuff I think a better question would be if they could just organize it differently so it didn't feel like a cliffhanger and I don't think it will be possible to say until we've seen the next one

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
People saying it's too long are out of their mind. It goes so hard every single second and it's all good. Maybe the live action cameos outstay their welcome by a few seconds?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do feel like that it felt like it was building up to a climactic action scene and then kinda just ends. Like, even BTTF2 has a proper climax and denouement.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do feel like that it felt like it was building up to a climactic action scene and then kinda just ends. Like, even BTTF2 has a proper climax and denouement.

The climactic action scene was Miles vs the Spidermen

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The thing with BTTF2 is that it's a movie about McFly fighting a specific villain for that movie, and defeating him, and then a hook for the next film. AtSV can't have either Spot or Miguel be defeated in this movie, and adding a single movie villain would just add flab to the narrative.

The better comparator would be to Empire strikes back, where broadly the protagonist loses but manages to escape with a better understanding of their situation. The difference here being that ESB ends with Luke in a position of safety ready for a timeskip and AtSV does not.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Sure, Luke ends in a position of safety reunited with allies. What about Han?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He becomes pure art

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fangz posted:

The thing with BTTF2 is that it's a movie about McFly fighting a specific villain for that movie, and defeating him, and then a hook for the next film. AtSV can't have either Spot or Miguel be defeated in this movie, and adding a single movie villain would just add flab to the narrative.

The better comparator would be to Empire strikes back, where broadly the protagonist loses but manages to escape with a better understanding of their situation. The difference here being that ESB ends with Luke in a position of safety ready for a timeskip and AtSV does not.

Han Solo literally is kidnapped

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Your point being?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fangz posted:

Your point being?

Unless you are not counting Han as a protagonist (which he is) the protagonists do not all end the story in a place of safety

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

1. I said Luke.

2. There's primary and secondary protagonists, ESB is primarily about Luke's journey. Miles isn't Han Solo.

3. Han is kidnapped but he's also not in imminent danger. He's frozen in carbonite, so we timeskip a year. He's not tied up and seemingly about to be murdered or tortured by a guy right in his face. In fact the movie ends with Luke, and the overall framing is kinda to say "don't worry about Han too much, we want you to view this as a hopeful ending".

4. What the heck are you even arguing. My point is that AtSV is not like BTTF2 and more like ESB. So you're saying AtSV is *even more like* ESB? Just pure pedantry.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 16, 2023

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Honestly I think the ESB comparison is basically perfect yeah

One protagonist, Miles and Han, are left in danger under the power of a threat, captured and restrained.

The other protagonist, Gwen and Luke, are left on a hopeful note telling the audience that good is coming and things won't stay bad.

There were a few points where they probably could have ended it a little earlier and it would have felt less... sudden? End it 20 minutes earlier when Miles succeeds in teleporting out of Nuevo York, or end it 10 minutes earlier with the denouement of the Gwen family stuff, have it end on a shot of Hobie's homemade teleporter or on her going through the portal.

The Miles "Tails" Prowler reveal is cool, but it could have been equally cool to just end the movie on uncle Aaron walking through the door.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
At risk of fanning the flames:

I think this movie ends on a more traditional "cliffhanger" in that our hero is literally in peril at that last moment. When we pick back up with Beyond, we'll be wondering what happens *seconds* later. Even with Back to the Future II, we kinda know the score: Doc has to help Marty again. There's gonna be old west. Buckle up. With Empire, we kinda know the score: Luke needs to heal, Han is off the board for now (they even give C-3PO a stunningly out of character line to let us know that nothing's going to happen to him in the meantime: "Oh. They've encased him in Carbonite. He should be quite well protected. If he survived the freezing process, that is."). There will be a big battle against Darth Vader and the empire. Buckle up.

Here, we can't reasonably have many expectations. We know it's a continuation of this story. We know there's the core of Spider-Men who want to help Miles, and those that do not. There's another Miles. We don't know what his deal is (though, frankly, if it's just a fake-out, I think that'd be pretty cheap). There's just a lot of questions. I'm with those that think that the two parted-ness could have been handled better.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Why is wanting and not knowing what happens next a bad thing though? Usually I would say that it's a bad cliffhanger if you know exactly how it's gonna resolve, so it's just a fake threat to titillate the audience.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 16, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People don’t like waiting

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Really the closest comparison is the end of Matrix Reloaded. That's certainly the most recent "hard" cliffhanger ending I can think of, and gives a similar "one movie split into two" feeling for various reasons. The big chase scene even has some superficial similarities to the Burly Brawl with all the Agents Smith

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Fangz posted:

1. I said Luke.

2. There's primary and secondary protagonists, ESB is primarily about Luke's journey. Miles isn't Han Solo.

3. Han is kidnapped but he's also not in imminent danger. He's frozen in carbonite, so we timeskip a year. He's not tied up and seemingly about to be murdered or tortured by a guy right in his face. In fact the movie ends with Luke, and the overall framing is kinda to say "don't worry about Han too much, we want you to view this as a hopeful ending".

4. What the heck are you even arguing. My point is that AtSV is not like BTTF2 and more like ESB. So you're saying AtSV is *even more like* ESB? Just pure pedantry.

It’s more like Fast X’s ending than either of those movies, it just stops. AtSV was a good movie but the non-ending was trash.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Fangz posted:

The opening sequence with Gwen, while one of my favorite parts of the movie, could have been cut or dramatically abbreviated. Same with the Indian New York sequence - which would require some changes to the plot - but I can imagine it easily ( for example change it so it's Miles universe that is threatened by a change in the canon caused by Spot ).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Captain Jesus posted:

The opening sequence with Gwen, while one of my favorite parts of the movie, could have been cut or dramatically abbreviated. Same with the Indian New York sequence - which would require some changes to the plot - but I can imagine it easily ( for example change it so it's Miles universe that is threatened by a change in the canon caused by Spot ).

Gwen is the secondary protagonist and the movie ends with her solving her issues with her father that we were introduced to. He'll, by screentime, there's a chance she's on screen more than Miles. In fact, I think that's what people are missing, we get the culmination of the arc the movie starts with. You can't cut that or you kind of lose Gwen's focus and the closure of that arc.

ESB is really similar really in that Leia and Han got bumped up in focus to be in the movie practically as much as Luke, and one of the characters ended up in cliffhanger danger and strapped to something and everyone else was in Flux.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

https://twitter.com/BASEDGODJAMANI/status/1669568610279256065

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Asterite34 posted:

Really the closest comparison is the end of Matrix Reloaded. That's certainly the most recent "hard" cliffhanger ending I can think of, and gives a similar "one movie split into two" feeling for various reasons. The big chase scene even has some superficial similarities to the Burly Brawl with all the Agents Smith

Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man’s Chest is also one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Spacebump posted:

It’s more like Fast X’s ending than either of those movies, it just stops. AtSV was a good movie but the non-ending was trash.

I wouldn't call it trash. It did what a good cliffhanger should do, it left people desperate for more. It's really good at that, in fact.

Maybe it's because a lot of serialized writing ends in big cliffhangers and then you have to wait for a year for the payoff, but it didn't bother me at all. It's not standard for movies as a format but it's fine to deviate from standard.

Any attempt at paring down the story too much to function as a one movie story seems like it'd just make everything about the movie much worse.