Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Here's a de-paywalled article by John Gunning about sumo's grueling year-round schedule and the need for an actual off-season: https://archive.ph/06ede

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Tachiai with a nice primer on how banzuke math works.

Basic formula is W-L=Rank change (ie 9-6 from M4e should equal M1e) but they do a good job explaining where the system breaks down and why with slots where there's multiple people with a claim or areas where no one deserves a place so someone has to get lucky either with a smaller than expected drop or a big promotion.

Shows how even starting from a logical point there's a lot of places where it's all just sticking leftovers into random spots.

https://tachiai.org/2023/06/11/nagoya-banzuke-crystal-ball-4/

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
hometown promotion party for kirishima
https://www.sankei.com/article/20230609-436EKUN57JM77MW6VUFGFWPNN4/

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Yo is that a bread bowl? Like not a single loaf of bread cut in to a bowl, but a giant bowl made of many loaves of bread? wtf hahahaha

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

i'm the ancient dude on the right trying to get the last of my jell-o shot out

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Brut posted:

Yo is that a bread bowl? Like not a single loaf of bread cut in to a bowl, but a giant bowl made of many loaves of bread? wtf hahahaha
I'm by no means an expert, but I think it's a particularly elaborate tower of Ul Boov; a type of biscuit that's layered up like that and served with fillings/toppings for (mongolian) lunar new year and other celebrations, like a cake

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Apraxin posted:

I'm by no means an expert, but I think it's a particularly elaborate tower of Ul Boov; a type of biscuit that's layered up like that and served with fillings/toppings for (mongolian) lunar new year and other celebrations, like a cake

Appreciate the name! Looking at other pictures of the same thing from googling shows that the cheese or whatever is just stacked on top, I was initially thinking the bread was forming outside walls and the cheese was the interior of the whole structure.

Anyway we've got a banzuke coming in like 10 days!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

That is definitely a bowl of kumis in the bottom right. Pretty neat seeing that alongside the Coke, Fanta, and whatever brand of bottled water Coke no doubt donated for product placement.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

cheese and tofu?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

My God. They've bequeathed him The Glove...

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Google Jeb Bush posted:

cheese and tofu?
reiterating that i'm not an expert on mongolian quisine, but i *believe* it's probably sugar cubes and a sweet cheese/milk curd

https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/ul-boov-shoe-sole-cake

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
A clipping from Kintamayama's newsletter:

Kintamayama posted:

He will be going into business ("Royal Georgia"), importing Georgian goods (wine, honey). "There is a lot of Georgian foodstuffs and drinks that are really healthy. I want to make them famous in Japan, CEO? Nah, I'm a rank and filer..I will be living in Japan, and will visit Georgia here and there," he said, laughing., He is still going a lot to Kasugano beya. "Yeah' when I'm not busy I go there five times a week to train with the lads. I went with them to their training camp lodgings in Saitama and will be joining them in Nagoya as well.. Retired or not, I'm living the same life," he said, laughing again. He has already lost 30 kilos and his hair is greying. "Yes, I have quite a lot of grey hair on my sideburns and especially on my beard. I used to shave once a week, and every five days during a basho, but I shave every 3-4 days now. If I don't, my beard looks totally white," he added. His advice o the three Ozeki contenders? "The first days are important - get 2-3 wins and you're in the right direction. Even if you decide not to think about it, you always do when the Ozeki promotion is on the line. It's a battle against yourself, so you need to beat yourself. Wakamotoharu and Daieishou have their style, but anything can happen with Houshouryuu. Many fans like rikishi with their own style, but I'd say 70-80 percent of the fans love the guys who keep you guessing what they will come up with... His uncle Asashouryuu was one of those guys. I hope he makes it to Yokozuna soon,", summed the retired Georgian."

He has really lost weight..

drat! 30 kilos in just a few months is some serious weight loss. Goes to show just how much maintenance some guys put into keeping that sumo body big. I remember Harumafuji always talked about it like it was torture.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I nearly pinched this photo of Hak for an avatar, until I realised he made it his av on twitter.

https://twitter.com/HakuhoSho69/status/1670369688419975168?t=CqEI41WK9yX_0WSttIDrHg&s=19

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing
I've got an odd question - I've seen a couple of Ozeki promotions now, and really want to know the significance of the carp that they always hold up and pose with in the group photo-op.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Iron Chef Nex posted:

I've got an odd question - I've seen a couple of Ozeki promotions now, and really want to know the significance of the carp that they always hold up and pose with in the group photo-op.

This article's a bit old but not much has changed

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-20756516

Seems to have something to do with the fish being red which is associated with success, also maybe a pun with the name of the specific fish.

Brut fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 20, 2023

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

Brut posted:

This article's a bit old but not much has changed

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-20756516

Seems to have something to do with the fish being red which is associated with success, also maybe a pun with the name of the specific fish.

Thanks, something like that was exactly what I was looking for! They should absoultely add the "smashing the lid off a keg of sake" though.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Elissimpark posted:

I nearly pinched this photo of Hak for an avatar, until I realised he made it his av on twitter.

https://twitter.com/HakuhoSho69/status/1670369688419975168?t=CqEI41WK9yX_0WSttIDrHg&s=19

Who cares that's a top notch av I say do it

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Lucasar posted:

A clipping from Kintamayama's newsletter:

drat! 30 kilos in just a few months is some serious weight loss. Goes to show just how much maintenance some guys put into keeping that sumo body big. I remember Harumafuji always talked about it like it was torture.

Body transformation pics of retired athletes are insane. It's either huge dudes like Rikishi and linemen shedding pounds like crazy once they go back to regular human diets or skinny dudes ballooning up because they keep the caloric intake of someone paid to work out as a full time job as their aging metabolism slows down.

Good on Tochi for finding his post-career bag. I thought he was going back since his family was still there, but I guess he's in the right business to get regular trips home paid.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I'm just pleased he looks happy and at peace with retiring. He toughed it out while more beat up than anyone could reasonably expect.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I feel like the hardest thing about retirement in their shoes would be saying goodbye to my strength and power, it must feel really bittersweet to go back to a normal human physique

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Banzuke is up! https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/

Hokuoho made it! Big jump for Hokuseiho. Asanoyama at #4, he will be facing the top rikishi right from the get go, it will be interesting to see how he fares.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm surprised that Tokushoryu is still in when he's fallen back pretty far into makushita. You'd think at his age he'd be retiring since it doesn't look like he has it anymore.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Immense Daniel is holding onto the top division by a whisker. He'd better hope he can land a KK in July.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I was getting settled into my Shinkansen seat on my way from Tokyo to Kyoto yesterday evening when I happened to catch the back of what looked for all the world like a rikishi trundling down the aisle into the next car: big dude (taller, wider), indigo yukata, mage. I regret not seeing who it might have been, but I'll take it as a minor brush with some level of assumed greatness. (I'm pretty sure he wasn't anyone too high up on the totem pole, though he was in a first-class car.)

I spotted another rikishi at an airport nearly thirty years ago when I wasn't into sumo. He was getting the minor-celebrity treatment; my host sister couldn't tell me who he was.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Kiribayama no more, now hes Kirishima

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://twitter.com/NHKWORLD_News/status/1673258205839777792?t=YyFDZX3Efy8oPW8CSS4qEQ&s=19

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Fuxking love japan lmao

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean the way I feel when I watch this is how I feel whenever someone describes the USA's electoral college to me, tbh.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUi1PdYn5nk

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Hakuoho :getin:

Absolutely here for these big promising youngsters, with Oho finally stringing some good sumo together and Hokuseiho looking at home in Makuuchi, the 21st century rikishi are an exciting bunch already.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
His "WAA" as he goes over is perfect lmao

Also drat that's an exciting-looking banzuke, I'm stoked for this basho. Cheering for my darling boy Atamifuji to have another strong showing and take his second shot at Makuuchi!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'm interested to see how Gonoyama will do, he has been getting better and better. Also Shonannoumi is a real tale of never giving up, it's taken him nearly 10 years but he's finally in the top division.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Kintamayama's Newsletter posted:

Yokozuna Terunofuji spoke to the press in Nagoya today. "I've never won a yusho in Nagoya. I did win a July basho once but it was held in Tokyo because of COVID. I think it's time to do it this time around. When I'm in, I'm in for the yusho, as is always the case. With me, what you see is what you get. I'll be taking care of my body and I hope to go the distance in the very hot Nagoya and electrify the basho," he said,

Daieishou is seriously aiming for Ozeki. After two back to back double digit wins he's getting close. "It used to be a dream, but now it's within reach.. I really want to be promoted from the bottom of my heart and I think that if I can really give it my all I can do it. Thinking about it? I don't think it's possible without thinking about it.. I'm going to be 30 years old this year. I won't be doing sumo much longer so I need to be strong mentally and bring myself to be able to use 100% of my power. Before this, I used to lose a lot at the edge of the dohyo. I felt in my heart that if I saved my power I couldn't win but now I am able to make the necessary adjustments," he said. He needs 11 wins to make the "required" 33 wins over three straight bashos. "I want to win 11, but making that the target is wrong. I want to go with the feeling that I can win them all. All my joi opponents will be taken seriously! " he summed.

Ozeki contender number two Wakamotoharu answered the press as well today. He needs 12 wins for the magic number 33. "Yes, I'm aware of it. I was languishing in Makushita just a few years ago. It's like a dream for me just being Sekiwake.. I'm trying not to think of promotion, and I'm trying to keep that state of mind. I used to watch KaioU and Chiyotaikai when I was a kid. I feel that compared to them I have a long way to go.. Going up a rank in itself means nothing. I need to steadily improve my skills to feel worthy of the rank. Yusho? Objectively, it seems so far away, and if I think about it, it's impossible.. When my brother (Wakatakakage) won the yusho it was like a dream and when Abi did it we drank some good sake. But me? Doesn't seem real.. At this level, the effort is tremendous. Every single basho, it feels like I'm running as fast as I can to keep up," he said.

Ozeki contender number three Houshouryuu also answered the press today. He needs 12 wins for the 33. "I'm not thinking of it too much. I want to go about it as usual. Before I entered sumo, I thought the Ozeki rank was awesome. I was wondering if I could go that far. I really want to latch on this.. All I can do is what I have been doing until now.," he said. At the beginning of June he visited Mongolia for the first time in four and a half years and returned relaxed. "I was able to relax and gaze at the stars, something I don't do in Tokyo. I was able to rest and become calm. I met my uncle there and we had long talks, but the contents are secret," he said, laughing.

Nice little insight into the different perspectives and personalities of the three Ozeki hopefuls.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Lucasar posted:

I met my uncle there and we had long talks, but the contents are secret," he said, laughing.

He knows he's losing a limb if he fails in his ozeki quest

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Daeisho "You have to think about it"
Wakamotoharu "I'm trying not to think about it"

Nice contrast there!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2023/jun/30/the-female-sumo-wrestlers-fighting-for-recognition-a-photo-essay

Another article on the gender issues of sumo.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://hochi.news/articles/20230701-OHT1T51218.html
TLDR: Terunofuji hurt his back in training.

Depending on how you interpret “slipped back” it might be a slipped disc?

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
More Kintamayama newsletter clippings for your pre-basho perusal:

Kintamayama posted:

Asanoyama trained at home today against new Juryo Gounoyama and went 11-3 (7 straight wins somewhere in there). Sharp tachiai, not letting his opponent keep his distance, thus neutralizing his oshi and winning by yorikiri was seen a lot. The training dohyo is outside and it was more than 30 degrees centigrade, yet he looked good. "My body is moving well and I'm feeling good.. I was able to do proper keiko, this heat notwithstanding. I am happy Gounoyama-zeki came to train with us. I think we were able to train while stimulating each other.." he said. This was the third time Gounoyama came to train there after the banzuke was announced. One of those times, Ouhou joined them as well. "They are both oshi-zumo. Gounoyama comes from down under. Ouhou can push and go for the belt as well. It was good to train with types of rikishi that we don't have in our heya.." he added. Takasago beya is traditionally known for going for the belt. As for the three Ozeki contenders, two of them (Daieishou and Wakamotoharu) are his classmates, and he made it to joi before them. "I made it to joi before them but paid the price for my misdeeds and dropped in the rankings and have finally returned to where I am now.. I am conscious of my classmates, age peers, and same generation opponents and I do not want to lose to them.." he said. Of course, Houshouryuu (0-1) is also a serious opponent. Asanoyama could be the wall to the three Ozeki contenders. "I'm going for double-digit wins and will gambarize to win the yusho," he declared.

[...]

Gounoyama's side of the story. He went 3-11 against Asanoyama, amid much shouting by his Oyakata ex-Goueidou. "If you let him catch you, you can't do anything!! The keiko becomes useless!! " he shouted. At some point Gounoyama got the message and even won three times. "I can't compare with Asanoyama's pressure and his sturdiness. Graduallly, I am able to do much more.." he said. After the keiko, he did some butsugari with large bodied (190/170) ex- Juryo Asabenkei, after being specifically asked to do so by Ex-Goueidou. Makuuchi has many large, heavy rikishi and that was a good preparation for what he will be facing this basho. For four minutes, he rolled in the sand while "borrowing" Asabenkei's chest. "I received a lot of advice from the Takasago people and got to train alone against Asanoyama. I am very thankful. Am I nervous before my Makuuchi debut? No time for that.. I can only give it my all. My goal is double-digit wins," he summed.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
https://www.sumoandsushi.com/

Aaahhhh! Why didn't I hear about this until after it happened :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Aaaaand Ozeki Kirishima hurt his right elbow in training.
https://www.sanspo.com/article/20230704-D3FUM5NV7NJP7N7WUDWYX2E6DQ/