Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Does turning off fast charging make a significant difference in battery life? I replace my phone every 2 or 3 years and while I do see my battery life get slightly worse over time (like my phone is a little more dead at the end of the day, not something that actually affects me) I never attributed that to charging. It also seems to matter a lot less when the phones have a 5000 mah battery.

Having to charge my phone for hours over getting it over 80% in less than an hour seems worth it over some negligible hit on the battery life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Resdfru posted:

Does turning off fast charging make a significant difference in battery life? I replace my phone every 2 or 3 years and while I do see my battery life get slightly worse over time (like my phone is a little more dead at the end of the day, not something that actually affects me) I never attributed that to charging. It also seems to matter a lot less when the phones have a 5000 mah battery.

Having to charge my phone for hours over getting it over 80% in less than an hour seems worth it over some negligible hit on the battery life

not significantly. it's not worth worrying about, especially if you're not going to attempt to keep a phone longer than what's considered normal.

keeping a battery on the charger at 90%+ forever matters more, but even then, it is not a huge deal.

don't janitor your battery, charge it when you need to, live your life.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
It will automatically change to adaptive charging at night as long as you have an alarm or bedtime.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Soul Glo posted:

not significantly. it's not worth worrying about, especially if you're not going to attempt to keep a phone longer than what's considered normal.

keeping a battery on the charger at 90%+ forever matters more, but even then, it is not a huge deal.

don't janitor your battery, charge it when you need to, live your life.

Modern Android will also keep the phone at 80% charge overnight, only topping it off in the last 30 or so minutes before you wake up to keep it at full charge for as little time as possible.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I recently got a Motorola Edge 2021 as my 2nd phone. Paid about 160.

I just want to make a post on how much I like this phone.

Over the years (since Note 2) I have been using 2 phone setup, I find it much easier to multitaskking while driving. Carrying 2 phones weight basically the same as 1 phone and 1 battery on trips.

Why I love this phone?
* last cheap and big phone (6.8"), newer Moto are 6.7, and frankly everybody else stop making big phones, the only other choice are $$$ Oppo 7" phone, $$$$ folding phones or a $200 7.1" Indian phone, that's it, no more big phones. LG is dead, Huawei doesn't have play store etc.

* very fast, way faster than the Moto Stylus I tried before. On spec its maybe 30% faster but maybe all other components are high ends stuff so actual usage is very fast.

* good signal on US prepaid GSM networks.

* The fingerprint sensor is not on the screen! I didn't know why this is important until I cracked my Realme GT's screen. Those fingerprint screen are so expensive you are basically stuck with a cracked screen. This one the sensor is on the side, I can get a replacement screen from aliexpress for 30 bux.

downside, no sd card like all other flagship phones, oh well 256gb is alot, I will live.

Thank you for reading.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 13, 2023

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Claeaus posted:

I tried force stopping the launcher, as well as clearing cache and removing data. The apps are still there

The weird no-name no-icon apps have now disappeared by themselves. But appreciate the help!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Regarding S23 battery drain issues - 10% an hour on Spotify is horrible.

1. Wipe your cache here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_DHV36xAzU
2. Settings -> About Phone -> Software Information -> Google Play system update (Should be May 1, 2023 - if not, you can update from there)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah I get negligible usage from YouTube Music and any other music player I've tried, like 1%/hour on airplane mode. I was going to suggest trying to use it for an hour on airplane mode/WiFi/cell to compare, and check its data usage if any.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
any time I've ever had my phone bleeding battery for seemingly no reason it's because an app somehow got location permission despite it really not needing it, and it's constantly pinging a cell tower to track location, so that's also something worth checking.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Anyone's Pixel 7 feel ever so slightly faster following the June update?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm still not being offered the June update :(. Has anyone seen any rumors of them doing a different rollout depending on the carrier again?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This made me check and it is installing on my Pixel 6 as I type this. I'm on Verizon Prepaid, for reference.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

No update on my 7 Pro either, on Fi at the moment. Lol.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
King of the Castle.borat :agesilaus:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Anyone's Pixel 7 feel ever so slightly faster following the June update?

Yup :toot:

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I got the update but none of the interesting features are there for me yet. Can't start a selfie timer with my palm and don't see any option for creating a 3D wallpaper from my own pictures. Anyone have more luck than me or can point me in the right direction?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Every now and then I see a post or article about a new feature on Android and I think I'm going crazy cause the feature in question has been on my phone for years and then I realize it's just a Samsung addition that's making it's way over to normal android

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Yeah, the palm gesture selfie thingie is totally stolen from Samsung. Still would like to use it, though...

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Really miss the days when I could press "check for update" when an update was out and my phone wouldn't lie to me and tell me it's up to date. Been averaging a week or so the last few months, except for March where I gave up after three weeks and sideloaded.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

T-Mobile, and therefore Fi, is holding the update again.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

T-Mobile, and therefore Fi, is holding the update again.

:doh: Well that explains it for me then, on Mint Mobile.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I just got the may update from xiaomi two days ago. loving clowns.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

I just got the may update from xiaomi two days ago. loving clowns.

Hey, your Xiaomi, as well as my OnePlus 11 and Pixel 7 Pro are all still on the May update. So that's not so bad I guess.

Even swapping in my Verizon swim to my Pixel made no difference, still no June update.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

Regarding S23 battery drain issues - 10% an hour on Spotify is horrible.

1. Wipe your cache here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_DHV36xAzU
2. Settings -> About Phone -> Software Information -> Google Play system update (Should be May 1, 2023 - if not, you can update from there)

Does a brand new phone need a cache partition wipe to make audio playback not be a real battery hog? :thunk:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
By the way, how do I get it to display sms contents on the lock screen? I've already put the notification setting to 'detailed' but even when I click on the message icon on the lock screen it doesn't show the content or who it's from

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
My Pixel 7 has unsynched with my Google contacts. I've tried to resync but it's not working. Any ideas? I was so confused when I woke up!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Sorry, I'm too busy to get screenshots and details, but in the lock screen settings, you have to let it show sensitive content and there are other options for showing sensitive content within the app notifications.

I have mine turned off completely, so I don't know what exact settings you want.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Uthor posted:

Sorry, I'm too busy to get screenshots and details, but in the lock screen settings, you have to let it show sensitive content and there are other options for showing sensitive content within the app notifications.

I have mine turned off completely, so I don't know what exact settings you want.

Found it in the google messages app settings, :thanks:

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

PirateBob posted:

Does a brand new phone need a cache partition wipe to make audio playback not be a real battery hog? :thunk:

Not sure - maybe the Google Play update fixed it for me.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

AlexF posted:

I got the update but none of the interesting features are there for me yet. Can't start a selfie timer with my palm and don't see any option for creating a 3D wallpaper from my own pictures. Anyone have more luck than me or can point me in the right direction?

The little "sparkle" icon option appeared for me when I chose a photo then switched between lock screen and home screen (buttons at the bottom while previewing). That first one never let me apply the 3D to the lock screen (?). But a second photo attempt has the 3D option for both.

Not sure what that all means, but try flipping between previews and options to see if it appears. The button is the little three stars sparkle up in the top right during preview.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Anyone have any experience with the sony Xperia series? I really like the idea of a high-end cameraphone, and with Android you can have everything just sync over the internet to the NAS as soon as you're on wifi, which is pretty neat.

I'm curious with something like that how much of the smarts of the camera is in the ROM? If I went to LineageOS (or whatever cyanogenmod is calling itself) or a third-party ROM, is that something you'd get, or would it revert to some "stock" cameraphone app that produces a worse quality output?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Weaponized Cum posted:

My Pixel 7 has unsynched with my Google contacts. I've tried to resync but it's not working. Any ideas? I was so confused when I woke up!
this happened to both my parents today, they also have the 7. when i asked mom if her contacts were still visible at contacts.google.com, she said yes and then said that they appeared again in the contacts without having to do anything. dad said he had to download/import them to get them back

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Anyone have any experience with the sony Xperia series? I really like the idea of a high-end cameraphone, and with Android you can have everything just sync over the internet to the NAS as soon as you're on wifi, which is pretty neat.

I'm curious with something like that how much of the smarts of the camera is in the ROM? If I went to LineageOS (or whatever cyanogenmod is calling itself) or a third-party ROM, is that something you'd get, or would it revert to some "stock" cameraphone app that produces a worse quality output?

I remember reading something about this. Here you go

repiv posted:

it's funny how protective sony are with their camera software despite it never being particularly good

most of the processing is wrapped up in DRM, and if you unlock the bootloader it permanently deletes the keys and cripples it to the most basic processing

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Weaponized Cum posted:

I saw an article today saying an update with Play Services or something is causing that issue on Pixel and Galaxy phones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Had a bit of a chuckle when watching a Waveform Podcast clip. Marques was going over new iPadOS 17 features and mentioned interactable widgets and both Andrew Manganelli and David Imel both reacted like "Wait WHAT? You couldn't interact with iOS widgets before?" It's pretty telling how much either of them actually use iOS/iPadOS

When you really pay attention to these channels, you can see that most of the tech Youtubers have iPhones and apple watches, but they basically only use them for work stuff and fitness tracking and use an Android phone as their personal device. It's super common, they have to be steeped in each ecosystem due to the nature of their job so they have two phones, but the personal device is almost always Android. Even Marques, with all the tech he has at his fingertips, uses a Pixel 7 Pro as a personal device.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Resdfru posted:

I remember reading something about this. Here you go

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a pixel 6a. Is there a way to disable your phone lock screen if you're on a specified wifi or in a geofenced area?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have a pixel 6a. Is there a way to disable your phone lock screen if you're on a specified wifi or in a geofenced area?

It is called smart lock and it is burried pretty deep in the options. I can do gofence or bluetooth, but not wifi.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

VictualSquid posted:

It is called smart lock and it is burried pretty deep in the options. I can do gofence or bluetooth, but not wifi.

Oh, perfect you can also keep it unlocked with proximity to a watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Oh, perfect you can also keep it unlocked with proximity to a watch?

Unless they've changed it, you should be able to set it to remain unlocked while paired to a watch you're wearing.