Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
From the Guardian’s live blog:

Peter Dutton says David Van 'should no longer sit in the Liberal party room'

Peter Dutton statement:

Since the airing of Senator Thorpe’s allegation yesterday, further allegations in relation to Senator Van have been brought to my attention overnight and this morning. As such, I met with Senator Van this morning and a short time ago, I advised Senator Van of my decision that he should no longer sit in the Liberal party party room. At the outset, I want to make clear, very clear, that I’m not making any judgment on the veracity of the allegations or any individual’s guilt or innocence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

I'd never heard of Van before yesterday, but apparently he growled at Lambie last year too, sounds like a great guy.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

From the Guardian’s live blog:

Peter Dutton says David Van 'should no longer sit in the Liberal party room'

Peter Dutton statement:

Since the airing of Senator Thorpe’s allegation yesterday, further allegations in relation to Senator Van have been brought to my attention overnight and this morning. As such, I met with Senator Van this morning and a short time ago, I advised Senator Van of my decision that he should no longer sit in the Liberal party party room. At the outset, I want to make clear, very clear, that I’m not making any judgment on the veracity of the allegations or any individual’s guilt or innocence.

I hate those weasel words "I am not going to say anything about whether he is guilty or innocent. But many people have made enough allegations against him for me to punish him. But I am not saying he's guilty, Oh no."

Also that "alleged" sexual assault only gets you slightly demoted. And the fact that this fuckwit isn't fighting his demotion as hard as the nazi Victorian Liberal woman fought hers.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Olds :fuckoff:

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Since the airing of Senator Thorpe’s allegation yesterday, further allegations in relation to Senator Van have been brought to my attention that I was already largely aware of and happy to ignore until they were made public. As such,

The Spud is just playing the odds, no real action or discipline but it might hurt his run at PM if he now continues to ignore it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

BrigadierSensible posted:

I hate those weasel words "I am not going to say anything about whether he is guilty or innocent. But many people have made enough allegations against him for me to punish him. But I am not saying he's guilty, Oh no."

Also that "alleged" sexual assault only gets you slightly demoted. And the fact that this fuckwit isn't fighting his demotion as hard as the nazi Victorian Liberal woman fought hers.

It's not punishment for Van, it's distancing himself/party from what is about to happen.

Honestly god damned shocked to see Dutton do that, I assumed his response would be "Thorpe be crazy". There must be a raft of allegations against Van not to close ranks around him this early.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Chucking him out of the party room without a fair trial before the Law seems pretty woke

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

JBP posted:

Chucking him out of the party room without a fair trial before the Law seems pretty woke

Would you go so far as to say it's Cancel Culture?

or

That Dutton is saying No to Van having a voice in parliament?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

JBP posted:

Is Law what Dutton calls himself when he puts on his cop uniform?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Eediot Jedi posted:

Honestly god damned shocked to see Dutton do that, I assumed his response would be "Thorpe be crazy". There must be a raft of allegations against Van not to close ranks around him this early.
sky news reported that a former liberal senator has accused van of groping her at a drinks event three years ago, and that a complaint was made at the time. dutton was informed of that allegation last night and possibly more

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Barnaby Joyce walks into the Armidale pub and introduces himself to the barman. “I’m the local country member”. Without missing a beat the barman replies “I remember”.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

lih posted:

sky news reported that a former liberal senator has accused van of groping her at a drinks event three years ago, and that a complaint was made at the time. dutton was informed of that allegation last night and possibly more

Is this what they refer to that he's been Me Tooed?

I'd never heard of him before today...I suspect we're going to hear a great deal more of him.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

hooman posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Auspol 2023 - "gently caress off, Pauline."

Autisanal Cheese fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 15, 2023

lih
May 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/AmyRemeikis/status/1669254884754083841

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Eediot Jedi posted:

If Peter loving Dutton decides that you're not fit to be in the Liberal party room then this fucker must be absolutely vile in private

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Imagine having Pauline as a work colleague
She probably gets told to gently caress off every day

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Wait does that mean "gently caress off, Pauline" is going to be recorded in the hansard?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Auspol 2023 -A second senator has hit the Van

(not as good as the other one upthread)

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

The poo poo has hit the Van

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

starkebn posted:

been saying for ages in this thread we need a national response group who are trained and equipped for natural disasters, guess it might happen

There was actually a private safety and rescue group back in the 80s, really ground breaking stuff. They even had the only multi-person barometric chamber in the southern hemisphere.

Then it turned out the guy in charge was siphoning all the money into his own bank account and everything collapsed, because it was the 80s and that's just what famous Australian businessmen did.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There was actually a private safety and rescue group back in the 80s, really ground breaking stuff. They even had the only multi-person barometric chamber in the southern hemisphere.

Then it turned out the guy in charge was siphoning all the money into his own bank account and everything collapsed, because it was the 80s and that's just what famous Australian businessmen did.

Wasn't this the thunderbirds?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Eediot Jedi posted:

The poo poo has hit the Van

Expecting 10s of posts of people barrelling in going "Van Badham did what?!"

hooman posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Auspol 2023 - gently caress off Pauline

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Expecting 10s of posts of people barrelling in going "Van Badham did what?!"

Never sure how to feel about her. She writes some really good solid things but other times she's the very example of why rusted-on-labor types are so very frustrating.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Autisanal Cheese posted:

If Peter loving Dutton decides that you're not fit to be in the Liberal party room then this fucker must be absolutely vile in private

With how quickly they dumped him instead of doing the whole song and dance the LNP must have already known this guy was a serial loving sex pest and were just carefully ignoring it and sweeping it under the rug.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’m curious, how long has this dude been in the senate? And which faction of libs is he affiliated with?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

In other fun Liberal news:

The Vic Liberals Women's Committee is demanding that they re-instate Moira Denning, the MP who spoke the TERF/Nazi event.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

hooman posted:

With how quickly they dumped him instead of doing the whole song and dance the LNP must have already known this guy was a serial loving sex pest and were just carefully ignoring it and sweeping it under the rug.

no you see they were only informed of his shittery three years ago the other night

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Embattled Senator David Van to quit parliament and seek help | 7NEWS

The actual video doesn't actually say he's going to quit parliament or seek help (huh?)

He's moved to Embattled and will soon be former, and the disgraced it seems.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 16, 2023

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Libs swinging in against Labor to once again politicise the Bruce Lehrmann case and spectacularly detonate a sitting predator.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Pity there's no by elections for senate seats

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

starkebn posted:

Pity there's no by elections for senate seats

Probably why Dutton was quick to pull the trigger. If he was in the House maybe he would have doubled down.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Comstar posted:

Embattled Senator David Van to quit parliament and seek help | 7NEWS

The actual video doesn't actually say he's going to quit parliament or seek help (huh?)

He's moved to Embattled and will soon be former, and the disgraced it seems.

he needs help to stop raping

lih
May 15, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

I’m curious, how long has this dude been in the senate? And which faction of libs is he affiliated with?

since 2019. he was vaguely part of morrison's faction at the time but has been unaligned since the election loss. he was already facing a preselection challenge for the next election since he didn't have much of an internal base and had done absolutely nothing of note in his term.

hooman posted:

it's already been confirmed that he was known within the party as a creep at the very least, to the extent that there had been previous failed attempts to convince him to resign from parliament

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Member for Face Eating Imported Cat party discovers what party he is in.

quote:

In the letter, Van said he was resigning from the party but suggested he would remain in the Senate.

“Given the Liberal Party’s wholesale disregard for due process and natural justice in relation to allegations made against me, I write to resign my membership effective immediately,” he said in the letter.

“I cannot remain a member of a party that tramples upon the very premise on which our justice system is predicated. This is a travesty of justice and I reiterate that I deny the allegations made against me.

“I resign also acknowledging the cruel irony of doing so amidst public discourse about the weaponisation of allegations and the role of the rule of law, which has at its centre the presumption of innocence.

“I am deeply distressed and hurt that I have not been afforded procedural fairness in relation to these claims.

“I acknowledge the hundreds of members who have shown me support in my final days as a member. I am grateful for their belief in my honesty and integrity. I have worked tirelessly for the party and fought hard for its beliefs over many years.

“I will continue to fight for what I thought were the party’s values – just not under its banner.”

He's moved to the Former stage but sounds like the gravy train will continue.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
not an unexpected path for him to take, but his term is up in 2025 so it'll self-right (unless the whackos have so fully infested the viclibs that he's allowed to re-join in time for preselection)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Also, he's jumping off the Libs, (" I wasn't pushed, really. I am resigning of my own free will."), at a time when the Victorian Liberals are so unpopular that he is more likely to get elected as an independent with a public profile.

Albeit that profile is of a gropey rapey prick, but ...

Unrelated edit: Do you reckon that ScoMo still has hid "I stopped these" trophy that he made for himself? And is it displayed as proudly? Will he keep that on his mantlepiece long into his old age?

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 17, 2023

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

*runs into thread, completely out of breath*

More like, VANCELED, am I right?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
What did Van Badham do now?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Van Badtouch.

EDIT: Van Badhands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Van Badman