Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mediaphage posted:

they never did it in the past because they were so hot; with apple silicon they probably think it's fine to use the term without actually scalding someone lol

correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Data Graham posted:

This generation of Mac laptops we've been in for the past year or so may well be the high point in all Apple history

I know it is not news at this point but the M1/M2 have been a revelation for laptop users. My previous laptop was a 2019 i7 MBP which doubled as a white noise machine because the fans seemed to run at full blast when the system was under any sort of workload, even just web browsing.

My 14” M2 MBP and now this 15” M2 MBA are just so nice to use by comparison; I hope I never have to go back to a loud/hot laptop again.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mediaphage posted:

they never did it in the past because they were so hot; with apple silicon they probably think it's fine to use the term without actually scalding someone lol

"without scalding someone" is pretty on-the-nose. My work laptop runs so hot that during a prolonged Teams call with my camera on and a lot of other people with cameras on, sometimes it'll actually overheat from the encoding/decoding strain. And it's huffing and puffing the whole time throughout any teams call, you click leave and all of a sudden you hear the laptop wheezing away.

MS apparently is not using Videotoolbox encoding so it's all software, and they should be using the hardware encoder/decoder, but c'mon.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Apple rarely breaks kayfabe with their stubborn proprietary jargon, like "notebook" and "logic board"

Took them years to give up and start calling it "wifi" after trying forever to make "AirPort" stick as a generic term

AFAIK, at no point is the Apple Pencil referred to as a "Stylus", probably 50% because branding is important, 50% they're terrified of Steve's ghost.

And I don't think they've used "Tablet" for iPads, ever.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Paul MaudDib posted:

"without scalding someone" is pretty on-the-nose. My work laptop runs so hot that during a prolonged Teams call with my camera on and a lot of other people with cameras on, sometimes it'll actually overheat from the encoding/decoding strain. And it's huffing and puffing the whole time throughout any teams call, you click leave and all of a sudden you hear the laptop wheezing away.

MS apparently is not using Videotoolbox encoding so it's all software, and they should be using the hardware encoder/decoder, but c'mon.

It's not better on cooler Intel Mac hardware, sadly. Teams spun up my 2015 MBP's fans like crazy when I was interviewing remotely for a job, and eventually the app crashed halfway through. I ended up rejoining the meeting by using the web app through FireFox, but I was not endeared to Teams by that minor heart attack.

But I got the job! And then I got an M2 Air, which grinds all the video like sausage in software and barely loses any battery life doing it. The thing is loving eerie - I can't imagine how nice Teams could be if it leveraged VideoToolBox.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 16, 2023

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Hasturtium posted:

It's not better on cooler Intel Mac hardware, sadly. Teams spun up my 2015 MBP's fans like crazy when I was interviewing remotely for a job, and eventually the app crashed halfway through. I ended up rejoining the meeting by using the web app through FireFox, but I was not endeared to Teams by that minor heart attack.

But I got the job! And then I got an M2 Air, which grinds all the video like sausage in software and barely loses any battery life doing it. The thing is loving eerie - I can't imagine how nice Teams could be if it leveraged VideoToolBox.

I meant that it’s the intel ones that are the problem… my MBA M1 is regularly faster and way cooler.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Thinking of scooping up an Air since I have an education discount as well, but I've never owned a MacBook. Any recommendations for setup out of the box? It's mostly gonna be a leisure use machine for writing, light programming and pirating I mean legally consuming media but I've been a lifelong Windows + Ubuntu user so idk what to keep in mind really

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Doc Fission posted:

Thinking of scooping up an Air since I have an education discount as well, but I've never owned a MacBook. Any recommendations for setup out of the box? It's mostly gonna be a leisure use machine for writing, light programming and pirating I mean legally consuming media but I've been a lifelong Windows + Ubuntu user so idk what to keep in mind really

From my first ever macOS experience this week (besides using an ancient MacBook for work in the past that was not tied to any of my personal accounts and so never really felt like mine to settle into) it feels like if you treat it like you do an iPhone initially (albeit one that can install apps outside of the App Store) it’ll make sense. By which I mean all of the built in software tends to work best and be the best integrated with the machine, so you can kind of just add things based on when you hit a wall with what’s already there.

The big benefit I discovered with the Mac mini (which I’ve now traded in for a refurb base m2 air!) as a lifelong windows user is because there’s a limited amount of hardware skus, you can usually find a pretty specific solution to any troubleshooting you might have (just be prepared for the answer to occasionally be ‘this is impossible on Mac).

Also try and use all the gesture based navigation as much as possible. It usually stands in for Windows’ window management, but feels a lot smoother once you get used to it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Yeah I’d say resist the temptation to trash all the built in software and don’t immediately go hog wild installing things to monitor your RAM or whatever. In general it’s worth trying things the Apple way; don’t be afraid to change some well-worn habits.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Should I go in on AppleCare+ as well? OP says yes but OP is quite old

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Doc Fission posted:

Should I go in on AppleCare+ as well?

Do you plan on taking it out of the house or using it on a bed or couch where it might fall?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Doc Fission posted:

Should I go in on AppleCare+ as well? OP says yes but OP is quite old
Is your laptop going to be desk-bound 98% of the time, or are you going to move it around (to different rooms of the house, on trips, to the coffee shop, etc.)? If it just sits in one place most of the time, then you probably don't need AC+, otherwise you should strongly consider getting it.

If you bought it with a premium credit card you may already have Extended Warranty Protection that is almost as good as AC+.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I do a bit of moving around yeah. Taco shop coder where I wonder what the hell everyone else in there does for a living. OK, I'll get it. Thanks guys :)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Doc Fission posted:

I do a bit of moving around yeah. Taco shop coder where I wonder what the hell everyone else in there does for a living. OK, I'll get it. Thanks guys :)

If you’re afraid of feasibly dropping it down some stairs/etc it’s worth it

Safari>>Chrome

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ok Comboomer posted:

Safari>>Chrome

:hmmyes:

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Oh wait, more questions!!! I use Firefox but with a million privacy extensions like paywall bypass stuff, HTTPS Everywhere, Privacy Badger, etc. Are such things available on Safari or should I download Firefox?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

But also, Arc and Firefox (bookmark keyword shortcuts) are great, too.

Arc has a cool functionality called Boosts that let you un-shittify many social media apps, making them halfway useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z9bq_Q9qqk

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Corb3t posted:

But also, Arc and Firefox (bookmark keyword shortcuts) are great, too.

Arc has a cool functionality called Boosts that let you un-shittify many social media apps, making them halfway useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z9bq_Q9qqk

i can't abide another loving waitlist for something as commonplace as a web browser

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Take my Arc invites, all of you!

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 17, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
The Arc subreddit (assuming it's not part of the protest) has a sticky thread with a never ending supply of Arc links too.
I really like Arc although the big thing its missing is support for Keychain or whatever the stock password manager is called. But even so, it's well worth a go.

This base level M2 is... seriously excellent. I'm sure its doing a lot of page file swapping or what have you, but I couldn't tell. As a personal machine, it's pretty much perfect. I was a bit hesitant to lose the high refresh rate of my last device, but whether it's the higher PPI doing more work to smooth things out or some other witchcraft, I really don't notice the difference. Maybe my eyes are just getting old. I feel like I used to be able to tell more.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Also I know some weirdos use keyboard covers with Macs or whatever but I don't really wanna do that, am I good

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Doc Fission posted:

Also I know some weirdos use keyboard covers with Macs or whatever but I don't really wanna do that, am I good

yes

will it shiny up over time

probably

should you care

god no but maybe wipe it down regularly with a slightly damp microfibre cloth

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Doc Fission posted:

no keyboard covers, no hardshell covers

both are for losers

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Doc Fission posted:

I only did this when I had one of the bad keyboard MacBooks. They feel awful

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ok Comboomer posted:

Safari>>Chrome

For literally everything except browsing Something Awful

for pete's sake Apple can we please figure out how to load a page and keep it anchored at the spot where it started loading even after all the embedded tweets render

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Data Graham posted:

For literally everything except browsing Something Awful

for pete's sake Apple can we please figure out how to load a page and keep it anchored at the spot where it started loading even after all the embedded tweets render

i wish sa could snake a picture of the tweet, load that and link the tweet since you also get history saved that way lol

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The cool kids use awful.app on their ARM-based Macs.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

kefkafloyd posted:

The cool kids use awful.app on their ARM-based Macs.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

mediaphage posted:

yes

will it shiny up over time

probably

should you care

god no but maybe wipe it down regularly with a slightly damp microfibre cloth

I have good laptop hygiene!!!

I'm very sad bc I put in my "pick up in-store" purchase at 5 PM today and got the email that it was ready for pickup 20 minutes before they closed, and I wasn't really gonna haul rear end across town to grab the machine. I probably should have just shopped in-store since the lady when I called very kindly suggested I stick around for some kind of weirdo setup class with their weirdo staff anyway. But like, despite my inexperience I kind of don't wanna do that. I would like to pick up the laptop and go home.

Should I take their dumb class when I go in tomorrow?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Doc Fission posted:

I have good laptop hygiene!!!

I'm very sad bc I put in my "pick up in-store" purchase at 5 PM today and got the email that it was ready for pickup 20 minutes before they closed, and I wasn't really gonna haul rear end across town to grab the machine. I probably should have just shopped in-store since the lady when I called very kindly suggested I stick around for some kind of weirdo setup class with their weirdo staff anyway. But like, despite my inexperience I kind of don't wanna do that. I would like to pick up the laptop and go home.

hygiene doesn't necessarily have a lot to do with it, your sweat and oils are mildly acidic and will eat it up over time, that's all. i think part of it is that macbooks tend to last longer imo so it's more obvious over time lol.

as for classes it's up to you but if you're like, not an idiot and are comfortable loving around on it or asking on here, you'll be fine

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
ABS will shine no matter how clean you are.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Doc Fission posted:

lol no

zhar
May 3, 2019

This may be a dumb question, but on a pro screen my understanding is that dark pixels get dimmed or turned off. So does dark mode use less power than light? if I put a black slide on (every pixel is black) does the monitor draw no power?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

zhar posted:

This may be a dumb question, but on a pro screen my understanding is that dark pixels get dimmed or turned off. So does dark mode use less power than light? if I put a black slide on (every pixel is black) does the monitor draw no power?

it probably still draws some but there can be a noticeable difference, yes. i guess the question is how often do you need so much battery life while also leaving a slide deck up that this will matter

i'm not being sarcastic, it's just something worth thinking about in that battery life is generally good enough these days that you don't usually have to worry about minmaxing it

zhar
May 3, 2019

I'm not worried about it lol the thought just arose while staring at 95% pitch black vim screen if i was using 95% reduced power

I have to say running a black terminal on this screen does look really nice

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it's hard to tell over text lol some people online get Very Concerned about batteries

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I think there's something like 2400 mini LED backlights (for however million pixels*), so yeah I guess for large enough pure black parts of the screen they'll just be off. I have no clue how much difference it makes though. And it's not like the only other usage would be full blast white. So real world would be a...gray area.

*per pixel is an OLED thing, and micro LED but that's still pretty rare.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I ... forgot my Apple ID ... or that I had one. So now I have to do account recovery before I download any apps or whatnot. Clown emoji

But the laptop is very attractive!!!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I dropped my 16" M1P MBP :aaa:

It bounced!

On a corner!!

Then slammed down on its top (lid) side

And...it's fine :confuoot:

The dust from the keyboard ended up on the screen, so, great? Cleaner keyboard.

These things are tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bobstar posted:

I dropped my 16" M1P MBP :aaa:

It bounced!

On a corner!!

Then slammed down on its top (lid) side

And...it's fine :confuoot:

The dust from the keyboard ended up on the screen, so, great? Cleaner keyboard.

These things are tough.

make sure the display/hinge/etc aren’t bent, but yeah they really are

ppl talk up the halcyon days of the pre-unibody era and forget just how much torsional flex and creakiness those old Inspirons/etc had