Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I grinded out some ranks and I'm enjoying the game a lot more now.
I think it's mostly because I have no loving idea what to do when both of my Forwards are incompetent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Jack Trades posted:

I grinded out some ranks and I'm enjoying the game a lot more now.
I think it's mostly because I have no loving idea what to do when both of my Forwards are incompetent.

If my forwards are generally incompetent (they miss passes, they whiff on abilities, that sort of thing) I kind of just go, "well, that's ok, I just gotta do what I can." If one of my forwards is stacking on top of me in the goal area I get real pissy though. Its by far the worst feeling kind of match.

and man I can't wait for them to make some sort of firing range for the game, I really just want to practice some shot angles when I'm not under pressure.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Man, I just cannot make Octavia work. Every time I play her I feel like just a less useful Era. Any tips?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CodfishCartographer posted:

Man, I just cannot make Octavia work. Every time I play her I feel like just a less useful Era. Any tips?

Aside from the fairly obvious "pick good awakenings" (Chronoboost, Quick Strikes, etc), try to play her alongside either a supportive midfielder (Era, Rune, Rasmus) or a brawler (Juliette etc). Octavia is a ball hog and maximizes her advantage by ball-hogging.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There needs to be callouts for "stop passing to the enemy" and "press Q for gently caress's sake".

EDIT: Also, while I'm already bitching. I'm convinced no Juno players know how to play the game.
I'm yet to see a single Juno not constantly pass the ball directly to the opponents at every opportunity.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 11, 2023

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Jack Trades posted:

There needs to be callouts for "stop passing to the enemy" and "press Q for gently caress's sake".

EDIT: Also, while I'm already bitching. I'm convinced no Juno players know how to play the game.
I'm yet to see a single Juno not constantly pass the ball directly to the opponents at every opportunity.

The callout I want is "PUSH THEM" or "move FORWARD". I don't quite know how to feedback to forwards that they're not in places worth passing to other than "let me defend" which isn't quite the same thing.

I've seen some very good Juno's. People who are skilled or clever with Strike With Friends are unholy terrors. Probably the scariest person I've played against was an Escape Button Juno. My thought about Juno is that she has a very high skill ceiling and a very high skill floor. If somebody is good with Strike With Friends it's unbelievably stressful as a goalie to try and defend, just super overwhelming. On the floor side of the equation, a very low skill player can at least get something done if they just constantly throw blobbo's in the general direction of the core, because even if they're not all that well placed they're still exerting spatial and cognitive pressure on the opposing team. It can backfire but just in experience its not an ability that I worry that much about my teammates owngoaling with, I'm much more worried about that from X, Rune, Atlas, Dubu, Ai.Mi, Octavia, Zentaro, and above all else Vyce.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I can't believe this took two weeks, they're taking huge risks here dragging their feet on a game with a playerbase this precarious. In any case:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1869590/view/3660910367839695441

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SKULL.GIF posted:

I can't believe this took two weeks, they're taking huge risks here dragging their feet on a game with a playerbase this precarious. In any case:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1869590/view/3660910367839695441

It's so rare to say this about a game but it feels like they're almost like, too dedicated to the art of the game and not doing enough cynical stuff that retains players. That said I'm very happy about the bugfixes to both Asher and Juliette, those bugs were both driving me up a wall.

Unstoppable going away though, ouch, loved taking unstoppable on Ai.Mi's App and laughing at Rasmus.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Lots of good changes today. Very happy with this patch, fixing a lot of tough bugs in a way that lets them deploy a micropatch if any winrates go a lil nuts. Energy awakenings seems interesting. Playing in a tournament tonight so we'll see how that goes lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So it's not me who's the fuckup. It's Asher that was bugged. Good to know.

Lots of good changes. Especially surrender and practice mode.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Man, it's wild to me to see more Octavia nerfs while Vyce gets a bugfix that's a slight buff lmao. I'm guessing Octavia is super duper good in higher-level play, but in the casual levels I'm in she almost always just accomplishes nothing due to teammates not always giving her the ball, and she feels 100% dependent on getting the perfect awakenings or she'll be borderline useless.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Man, it's wild to me to see more Octavia nerfs while Vyce gets a bugfix that's a slight buff lmao. I'm guessing Octavia is super duper good in higher-level play, but in the casual levels I'm in she almost always just accomplishes nothing due to teammates not always giving her the ball, and she feels 100% dependent on getting the perfect awakenings or she'll be borderline useless.

You can get the perfect awakenings if you play good. :sun:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

I mean in the patch notes they said it was because the bugfix she also got was huge

urea
Aug 18, 2013

I'm not particularly good, and I've never played her so I don't know how she works, but in every game with her it seems like she can play super aggressively and just walk forward and the ball just automatically goes in the goal somehow.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

curiousCat posted:

I mean in the patch notes they said it was because the bugfix she also got was huge

That's fair, but it also seems to only apply when she has buff duration awakenings? Which like, yeah that's good, but my critique of her is "if she doesn't get the awakenings she needs she can't do much" which the bugfix doesn't seem like it'll help. I guess she's kind of like a carry in a more traditional MOBA, I just wish there were more ways to consistently get needed awakenings.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Okay what the gently caress?
Why did the game match Silver/Silver/Gold versus Silver/Silver/Platinum?

We got destroyed 9 - 1 in a blink of an eye. I think this is the fastest loss I've ever had.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

2-2. Lost to the team with the guy who runs corestrike.gg so whatever.

Organized play seems to really need a midfielder and a forward...

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
Every striker tier list puts the green orb girl at the bottom rank but she seems OP to me.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

kneelbeforezog posted:

Every striker tier list puts the green orb girl at the bottom rank but she seems OP to me.

Juno? TBH I think a lot of it is memery. The absolute bare minimum most awful Juno play is almost always better than the same level of incompetence with basically any other striker, and higher skill Junos are unholy terrors. But she's also incredibly annoying (for some people? I don't find her super bad) since she just significantly increases the cognitive load of reading the map even if she's not doing anything clever. I think the more "sincere" choices for bad characters are Luna (rocket girl) and Octavia (EDM lady). Luna's abilities are all "big single hits" which can be evaded quite easily since the full release, and Octavia's just...very difficult to make work in a functional way.

curiousCat posted:

2-2. Lost to the team with the guy who runs corestrike.gg so whatever.

Organized play seems to really need a midfielder and a forward...

Ey congrats! And what would be the other team makeups? Double forwards, or are there other things you're thinking of?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I haven't seen a single forfeit vote yet since the patch, so that's good.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Tulip posted:

Juno? TBH I think a lot of it is memery. The absolute bare minimum most awful Juno play is almost always better than the same level of incompetence with basically any other striker, and higher skill Junos are unholy terrors. But she's also incredibly annoying (for some people? I don't find her super bad) since she just significantly increases the cognitive load of reading the map even if she's not doing anything clever. I think the more "sincere" choices for bad characters are Luna (rocket girl) and Octavia (EDM lady). Luna's abilities are all "big single hits" which can be evaded quite easily since the full release, and Octavia's just...very difficult to make work in a functional way.

Juno and Octavia feel like two sides of the same coin in terms of the community hivemind on their tier placement / power level. I see people on reddit / discord talk about how Juno is a pubstomper who only works against bad players, and good players will account for the blobs and then she's just s low-mobility striker with low kill potential - and yet in the majority of streams/ youtube vids of even high-level players I see her pretty consistently exerting a ton of area control, doing cool blob mindgames to score on an otherwise protected goal, etc. Octavia is the opposite, I see almost universal praise as to how she's a top tier striker, with people talking how she always is moving fast and always exerting pressure and how she can keep her secondary up forever etc. Then I watch streams and she spends at most maybe 3-4 seconds with her secondary active before it drops due to her needing to pass the puck or having it stolen etc, and almost every successful play they do could have easily been done the same (or better) by another striker such as Era.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

They're both bell-curve strikers. Juno is amazing at low levels where her blobs autostrike and provide free pressure and good goalshot angles, then good again at high levels where you're constantly sliming the enemy's health or providing a lot of field control (plus manually aiming slimes). Octavia is great at the middle level where players broadly know how to control their strikers but not necessarily deny opposing strikers, but falls off sharply when players get worse (they don't know how to dribble) or better (Octavia gets walled/denied every round).

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Tulip posted:

Ey congrats! And what would be the other team makeups? Double forwards, or are there other things you're thinking of?

I think what I mean is more specifically, like... a melee character (usually) as a forward, exerting pressure on the other side, and a midfielder who's going back and forth and probably running magnetized soles. When teams are coordinated you don't want to have both of your teammates back on your side of the field, because then the goalie has nowhere to clear it to.

You can play two melee or two ranged and it's ok -- but you have to recognize that you're not playing "the meta", essentially. Two melee is probably a kill team, maybe with a projectile goalie for added damage. Two ranged tends to be good at getting the core towards the goal but not [/i]in[/i] the goal.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Juno and Octavia feel like two sides of the same coin in terms of the community hivemind on their tier placement / power level. I see people on reddit / discord talk about how Juno is a pubstomper who only works against bad players, and good players will account for the blobs and then she's just s low-mobility striker with low kill potential - and yet in the majority of streams/ youtube vids of even high-level players I see her pretty consistently exerting a ton of area control, doing cool blob mindgames to score on an otherwise protected goal, etc. Octavia is the opposite, I see almost universal praise as to how she's a top tier striker, with people talking how she always is moving fast and always exerting pressure and how she can keep her secondary up forever etc. Then I watch streams and she spends at most maybe 3-4 seconds with her secondary active before it drops due to her needing to pass the puck or having it stolen etc, and almost every successful play they do could have easily been done the same (or better) by another striker such as Era.

SKULL.GIF posted:

They're both bell-curve strikers. Juno is amazing at low levels where her blobs autostrike and provide free pressure and good goalshot angles, then good again at high levels where you're constantly sliming the enemy's health or providing a lot of field control (plus manually aiming slimes). Octavia is great at the middle level where players broadly know how to control their strikers but not necessarily deny opposing strikers, but falls off sharply when players get worse (they don't know how to dribble) or better (Octavia gets walled/denied every round).

Interesting! In the case of Octavia I always felt like it was more a matter of skill gap than overall skill? Like if the Octavia is the best person in the lobby they're going to win very hard, but if there's even a single opponent that's about the same skill level as them then you're just "Era, Kai, or Drek'ar but with way less reliability/flexibility." More of a win-more character than anything else.

In Juno's case I'm not sure what's going on. Like I've encountered some very bad Juno's, but they don't seem worse or even more frequent than very bad anything else (really bad Juliette's are the most common, which I attribute to "she's the default character and its people still figuring out the controls"). Like I'd much rather have a really bad Juno than a really bad Dubu or Vyce, a Juno randomly using her abilities isn't like a 50/50 chance of own-goaling.

curiousCat posted:

I think what I mean is more specifically, like... a melee character (usually) as a forward, exerting pressure on the other side, and a midfielder who's going back and forth and probably running magnetized soles. When teams are coordinated you don't want to have both of your teammates back on your side of the field, because then the goalie has nowhere to clear it to.

You can play two melee or two ranged and it's ok -- but you have to recognize that you're not playing "the meta", essentially. Two melee is probably a kill team, maybe with a projectile goalie for added damage. Two ranged tends to be good at getting the core towards the goal but not [/i]in[/i] the goal.

Aha. I'm partially asking because while I've played more than most of my friends, I'm very much figuring out theory as I go and I don't know quite what terms people are using (in this case, "forward" kind of confused me because its a term used for 2/3 of the team no matter what).

My kind of dumbass understanding is that "midfielders" means trying to stick to, well, the middle of the field and focus on taking possession or exerting pressure across as much of the field as possible, and in order for this strategy to "win" you kind of need the other forward to be good at confirming goals because otherwise its hard to score reliably. A kind of "support" forward. And similarly you can have a brawler/killer as a "support" forward, and I've had pretty good luck with me as X or Juliette and a friend as Ai.Mi or Estelle where I'm mostly just beating the tar out of one of their forwards (typically we try to identify which one is 'scarier' for the goalie) for a lot of the match. But also we've had good luck with having two forwards who just focus on possession, passing, and shooting as much as possible and just pass between each other depending on positioning. Feels like there's a lot of depth and options here, especially since some characters feel pretty good at multiple roles (Era has good reason to be considered a midfielder but I've found her to be very good at driving the ball into the goal by hasting herself and bewitching defenders, or passing to her own butterflies).

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

re: forward/midfielder, It doesn't matter which strikers are what, in a given match you regardless need to control the midline while still generating pressure on the goalie. You can run Estelle/Kai and just have Kai play in front of the goalie and stuff every goal shot with his missile barrage, while Estelle snipes everything from the middle of the map.

Two strikers at the middle line aren't going to be able to consistently generate goal shots, two strikers sitting at the enemy goal arc are going to watch their goalie spam "Help! Help! Help!" before giving up a goal.

urea
Aug 18, 2013

Winning by forfeit is so unsatisfying. It's just a message box that says "Enemy forfeited" and you're booted back to the menu. The game should give the winning team a free shot into the goal just to have a chance to celebrate with emotes and stuff.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I literally haven't had a single balanced match since the last patch.
The opponent team have been higher rank than my team literally every single time.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Something really unsettling about watching the enemy team pick Rune, Ester, and octavia, then seeing your side settle on Dubu and Juliette.

Then the Dubu, who got forward, starts spamming "let me defend."

Had two matches today where my team was real timid, doing that BS hovering directly in front of the goal stuff, then one of the enemy team DCs and they're like star forwards. Man, if you all are this good, do that from the start. Also feels like every match I'm in one of my teammates just never uses powers, just does ball strikes.

urea
Aug 18, 2013

I love how every game devolves into juliette completely ignoring the ball and playing super smash bros. Really fun that...

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So today I've been solo ranking trying to get to Gold (currently High Silver) and there's a thing plat players seem to do consistently: ask me to pass to them, and then just...not accept passes? Like I'll pass to them and it reaches them and they just...wander off and do something else, like start fighting an enemy who was nowhere near the core nor in line to intercept a shot. I extremely do not get it. These were all people multiple tiers up from me which makes me think there's some strategy that I'm missing. Do cores get cooties when a silver rank touches them?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

After tonight's gaming session I think I can conclude: this game is exceptionally good when you have two good, mostly even-matched teams fighting each other and kind of awful when there's a skill disparity.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That's probably true for every competitive game.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1869590/view/3657533936644831903

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0q27RglhMU

Nerfs: Ai.Mi, Juliette, Siphoning Wand, Built Different, Fire Up!
Buffs: Asher, Octavia, Vicious Vambrace, Specialized Training

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

losing 3-1 to challenger teams is frustratingggg

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Juli fuckin needed some nerfs, she entered last patch as an incredibly powerful striker and got some VERY good buffs. I'm not even sure those do much. Relatedly, I've moved into being surprised at how much people love to ban X, since he just kind of feels like "Juliette, but less" lately.

The Asher buff is so weak as to be pointless. That ability just needs to be rethought entirely, I'll probably make a post about it on the discord soon once I make an image or two.

Vambrace buff is both good and kind of funny.

Ai Mi nerf is pretty harsh but probably deserved, Ai Mi's crazy.

Not sure I'm into the Specialized Training buff, that was already an ability that I was pretty worried about.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

curiousCat posted:

losing 3-1 to challenger teams is frustratingggg

I was playing a couple normals yesterday and checked the names on enemy teams (via corestrike.gg), only to find out that I (a lowly Plat player) rolled right through a Challenger who was playing on his main striker. Did not expect that at all.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

I was playing a couple normals yesterday and checked the names on enemy teams (via corestrike.gg), only to find out that I (a lowly Plat player) rolled right through a Challenger who was playing on his main striker. Did not expect that at all.

team cohesion is MASSIVE at high plat+

also we went 3-1 in the amateur tournament for the third week in a row today

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
This is the first moba-esque game I have played in a long time

it's good, people should play it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Top 500 tournament going on right now if you wanna check it out: https://twitch.tv/odysseyinteractive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
if they make a stricker with a semi long range and the ability to throw your teammates away from the goal, I will main the poo poo out of that person.