Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I switched from graphics to frame rate after the first bunch of cutscenes. Very noticeable difference in image quality and it seemed to make animations look really weird at times. The frame rate also judders a lot in performance and makes me wonder if just sucking it up and playing 30fps with nicer image quality is the way to go. Not sure if the animation thing is real or imagined since I'd only done a little walking before switching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

JBP posted:

I switched from graphics to frame rate after the first bunch of cutscenes. Very noticeable difference in image quality and it seemed to make animations look really weird at times. The frame rate also judders a lot in performance and makes me wonder if just sucking it up and playing 30fps with nicer image quality is the way to go. Not sure if the animation thing is real or imagined since I'd only done a little walking before switching.

It’s real imo. I normally really notice 30 vs 60, but 30 felt better in this game than most. There is probably some voodoo going on.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Release the game!!!!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don’t really even see how it’s a controversy, Final Fantasy had always been experimenting with the battle system. Turn based isn’t even dead, Square themselves still release plenty of turn based RPGs. And Final Fantasy’s biggest competitors outside of Square are turn based. I think the only people who complain about Final Fantasy not being turn based anymore are the people who’s only JRPG experience is the Final Fantasy series.

One other thing that I think motivated the change is that I don't think people realize how strange a non-action-oriented FFX-style game would look in realistic graphics. You kind of need a heavier level of abstraction to make that sort of gameplay not feel weird. It's why FF15 is also visually an action game.

And the reason I mention "realistic graphics and character designs" is that, with the exception of FF9*, the series has been attempting to do that through all its 3d games. It's actually something I'd add to "what makes an FF games an FF game" (in addition to "vibes") and is one of the key things distinguishing FF from other major JRPG series - it gives its characters realistic faces/proportions (as opposed to something like Dragon Quest, the Trails games, the Tales games, Persona, Xenoblade, etc - most other JRPGs have "anime-style" character appearances, for lack of a better description). The more realistic the visuals get, the greater the clash is between visuals and gameplay if you try make the gameplay abstract. It looks weird to see realistic people just standing in a row taking turns attacking, or standing on a grid in a tactics game.

* and I guess the original FF7, but later compilation entries have made it clear they also want FF7 character to have fairly realistic appearances as opposed to cartoonist/anime-styled ones

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mean Baby posted:

It’s real imo. I normally really notice 30 vs 60, but 30 felt better in this game than most. There is probably some voodoo going on.

It seems to go super hard on blur with no way to turn it off, making me think 30 is just the way to go. Maybe put it on performance for a second run to get high scores when the game is patched up idk.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Ytlaya posted:

One other thing that I think motivated the change is that I don't think people realize how strange a non-action-oriented FFX-style game would look in realistic graphics. You kind of need a heavier level of abstraction to make that sort of gameplay not feel weird. It's why FF15 is also visually an action game.

And the reason I mention "realistic graphics and character designs" is that, with the exception of FF9*, the series has been attempting to do that through all its 3d games. It's actually something I'd add to "what makes an FF games an FF game" (in addition to "vibes") and is one of the key things distinguishing FF from other major JRPG series - it gives its characters realistic faces/proportions (as opposed to something like Dragon Quest, the Trails games, the Tales games, Persona, Xenoblade, etc - most other JRPGs have "anime-style" character appearances, for lack of a better description). The more realistic the visuals get, the greater the clash is between visuals and gameplay if you try make the gameplay abstract. It looks weird to see realistic people just standing in a row taking turns attacking, or standing on a grid in a tactics game.

* and I guess the original FF7, but later compilation entries have made it clear they also want FF7 character to have fairly realistic appearances as opposed to cartoonist/anime-styled ones

That’s a really, really good point and I completely agree with it. Anecdotally, I remember playing VII-X at the time and feeling like “this is the best they can do” in terms of technological capability to show off a real battle. I always got the feeling that if they could pull off real time action in FF, they absolutely would in a heartbeat. And now they are.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

Pure speculation: The emperor is Alexander's dominant, and Alexander is the final boss. It would fit with the "shining future" quote from Clive's mom

Also, for some reason I've got "a little San Brequois, a little San Brequois for me" stuck in my head from the Alex Jones threads.

Unless there's something a lot "deeper" about Sanbreque compared with the other nations, it seems kind of weird for their leader to be the final boss. The distinct impression I get is that, among the listed Dominants, the most "advanced" one in terms of plot confrontation is the Waloed guy. If I had to guess one of them who has deeper knowledge about the world, I'd guess him.

I think the "shining future" stuff is probably just because "light" is sort of Sanbreque's "elemental theme," what with Bahamut being the light-aspected Eikon.

If I had to blindly speculate about the late-game plot, my guess would be that Clive's ability to absorb the various Eikon abilities is tied into something from the Fallen civilization (that's another thing - you know the cause of that civilization's fall is going to be important). Perhaps there was a single entity that was split into all the separate Eikons, on either the side of the Fallen or whatever destroyed the Fallen. Maybe Clive is being manipulated by Cloak Guy into hoovering up all the Eikon abilities towards some sort of end (that will become relevant in the later game).

(only using spoiler tags because the post I'm replying to also is, but everything in this post is just blind speculation)

HD DAD posted:

Clive’s dick is modeled with more polygons than a XIV 1.0 barrel.

Clive's dick is the cause of the framerate problems. There's this hyper-detailed dick with advanced physics being rendered constantly, even if the player can't see it.

All the developers meet with Yoshi-P, telling him of the technical cost of rendering Clive's dick. Yoshi-P screams at them "I DON'T CARE! MAKE IT WORK!"

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 16, 2023

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Cephas posted:

I know there were some Eva references in FF14 but I wasn't expecting the dummy plug scene and Adam to be in 16.

Devil May Cry-Final Fantasy-Game of Thrones-Evangelion is basically the most perfect combination I could dream of, what a great time to be a weeb and alive.
These are some cool rear end Easter eggs.

The chomp before that reminds me of Godzilla's finishers from the Legendary movies. Now I need to see Ifrit float parallel to the ground to deliver the world's slowest dropkick.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I just realized why Anabella had her handmaidens suddenly executed, she literally told them earlier if anything happened to Joshua she’d have their heads.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
that's weird you guys were getting blur on performance mode I was getting it on quality mode, though my ps5 is set to 1440p so not sure how ff16 handles in terms of if it's upscaled 1080, downscaled 4k, or actual native 1440p, I'm leaning towards upscaled 1080 though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Spermando posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we_GPkCW9Y4
Some new music and Dual Sense (R) -powered chocobo drifting.

Apparently it's not in-game music, it's royalty-free trailer-style music. Which is weird cause it's like... Soken is right there.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

If I had to blindly speculate you know the cause of that civilization's fall is going to be [...] Clive's dick

Another, speculation unrelated to Clive's dick : the mothercrystals aren't native to Valisthea, the Red Star is Ifrits mothercrystal preparing to slam in the back of my dragula into Valisthea.

runaway dog posted:

that's weird you guys were getting blur on performance mode I was getting it on quality mode, though my ps5 is set to 1440p so not sure how ff16 handles in terms of if it's upscaled 1080, downscaled 4k, or actual native 1440p, I'm leaning towards upscaled 1080 though.

It's rendered in 4k portrait mode and then stretched to landscape.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tekne posted:

These are some cool rear end Easter eggs.

The chomp before that reminds me of Godzilla's finishers from the Legendary movies. Now I need to see Ifrit float parallel to the ground to deliver the world's slowest dropkick.

If you know mecha shows be prepared for so many references

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

While everyone developing FF16 was required to watch game of thrones seasons 1-4, I'm also aware they very well could mimic Game of Thrones too well by tripping and falling down and then making GBS threads out their entire colon all over themselves and the Cultural Zeitgeist racetrack while the entire crowd watches in horror.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Eh. Last time Yoshi And The Gang directly utilized Game of Thrones as an inspiration was 2.55 and Heavensward and that both A) went fine and B) still was obviously doing its own thing even if it showed influence.

I wouldn’t really be worried about it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Well at the start of the ARR rework he also made his team play WoW and no one has had their breast milk stolen yet I don't think

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Ben Starr was the guest of Kinda Funny Games and he talks about how he's a legitimate fan of the series. He gives a fantastic interview and he clearly knows his stuff. Something I agree with is finding the true face of the final summoning in FFX was a legitimately shocking moment as a player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRbf8Qz3a_4

But an important detail that I'm really excited to see, but also feel bad for him is his father died during the production of the game. As he was driving out to start voice work for the character his father passed, and he was devastated. He legitimately became upset and angry and heartbroken.

And he talks about how his father bought him his first final fantasy, a copy of Final Fantasy 8. So his journey to that point was started by his father. And so he hints that there are going to be scenes throughout the game where he's acting, but not really. It's enforced method acting. He genuinely used the experience to help him process his grief and trauma. And he feels the undercurrent of honoring his father is present in all of his performance.

1:23:00 for him talking about this.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 16, 2023

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

After I beat Gigas, I got a tutorial telling me that if I do especially well against bosses, I'll get a reward. I didn't get a reward from any of the subsequent bosses.

I wish it hadn't told me it was grading my performance. I could've been satisfied if getting some loot from a boss were just a random thing, but knowing that it's based on some arbitrary (and unexplained!) threshold of performance is just really grinds my gears. I hate, hate, hate when games do that. That's why I don't usually play this genre. If the game thinks I'm not doing well enough, it should just make me lose. Letting me continue but saying I should've done better is just insulting. It's going to be difficult to ignore it but I'll try. Why even have it?

And the UI text is too small.

But other than those pet peeves this seems really cool and I'm probably gonna get it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You don't get anything from any of the bosses in the prologue, and the thing you get from doing well in the other demo is a medal that says "wow, you did good against this boss :)"

The game does grade you but it's invisible until NG+ which is when The Real Game Starts

Terper fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 16, 2023

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Terper posted:

You don't get anything from any of the bosses in the prologue, and the thing you get from doing well in the other demo is a medal that says "wow, you did good against this boss :)"

Then why did I get a tutorial message and a piece of armor from Gigas?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oh yeah, I did forget about that piece of gear. I don't think any of the other ones do?

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I thought the piece of gear just dropped for everyone after gigas?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If there's a possibility that I misunderstood, then I'll choose to believe that.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

After I beat Gigas, I got a tutorial telling me that if I do especially well against bosses, I'll get a reward. I didn't get a reward from any of the subsequent bosses.

I wish it hadn't told me it was grading my performance. I could've been satisfied if getting some loot from a boss were just a random thing, but knowing that it's based on some arbitrary (and unexplained!) threshold of performance is just really grinds my gears. I hate, hate, hate when games do that. That's why I don't usually play this genre. If the game thinks I'm not doing well enough, it should just make me lose. Letting me continue but saying I should've done better is just insulting. It's going to be difficult to ignore it but I'll try. Why even have it?

And the UI text is too small.

But other than those pet peeves this seems really cool and I'm probably gonna get it.

tbh I agree with you. id like the grading system to be visible to folks that want it so I can know if I need to improve or not. knowing it's a thing but is invisible for reasons just sucks

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

ImpAtom posted:

If you know mecha shows be prepared for so many references

Yeah someone (possibly lots) in CBU 3 really loves mecha. I always love whenever they shoehorn mech poo poo into FF XIV

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yoship is a massive Gundam fan and there's an entire questline + boss fights set in XIV that's just one big Gundam reference so yeah it makes sense.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wonder how they’ll implement Phoenix Downs in this game if there’s only one playable character and your party members can’t die. Maybe it blocks a lethal hit and is consumed but you can only carry a few with you?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 16, 2023

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I've got bad news about the Phoenix and its downs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

getting it is a bonus, not getting it isnt a punishment. its not that it doesnt think you're doing well enough, it's just a bonus for players who want to try extra hard.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Missable loot tied to an invisible rating on a boss fight annoys me a lot more than just giving a rating (which would also really annoy me).

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's technically nothing missable in any of the stages since you can replay them to get any chests or loot you didn't get the first time.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I guess you could replay chapters in FF7R too, but it's kinda neat how the DMC-style level structure dovetails with the repeatable dungeon design this team has a lot of experience with from FF14

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Endorph posted:

getting it is a bonus, not getting it isnt a punishment. its not that it doesnt think you're doing well enough, it's just a bonus for players who want to try extra hard.

Maybe, but have you considered that I have brain worms?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The bonus is if you beat a boss hitless you get an emblem that does nothing that's like a "proof you did this fight hitless."

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Onmi posted:

The bonus is if you beat a boss hitless you get an emblem that does nothing that's like a "proof you did this fight hitless."

Oh, that’s totally fine. I’ll happily ignore the emblems.

I was thinking it was some kind of rating system and you’d get some kind of meaningful gameplay reward for a high rating, which I would definitely hate. I look forward to the game presumably really putting up a fight in ng+, but I don’t look forward to the game telling me I suck or I’m slow by giving me low ratings for every fight.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 16, 2023

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
6 days baybeee

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Demo was awesome I'm all in. More all in than I was two days ago.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Terper posted:

The game does grade you but it's invisible until NG+ which is when The Real Game Starts

Do we know if you have to do Final Fantasy mode, or can you skip right to Ultimania?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I believe Ultimaniac difficulty might only be available in Arcade Mode while on FF mode, and is not a selectable difficulty for the regular game.

quote:

In a Final Fantasy Mode New Game+ playthrough, by interacting with the Arete Stone in your hideaways, you can complete Final Fantasy Mode difficulty stages in Arcade Mode or an even more difficult variant called Ultimaniac Mode. Arcade Mode’s global leaderboards will only be active in these two modes.

https://www.gameinformer.com/exclusive-feature/2023/05/26/final-fantasy-16s-endgame-new-game-ultimaniac-mode-and-more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
After reading that interview I don't have high hopes for the first playthrough to be very challenging, besides maybe an endgame superboss or two