Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Bass.exe posted:

Recent interview from yesterday. The CEO genuinely thinks third-party apps deprive the platform of revenue directly somehow.
https://twitter.com/minimaxir/status/1669525672258338816
Here's some more important quotes from the article, bold parts are the CEO

Someone really needs a wedgie. Probably a swirly too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass.exe
Apr 17, 2023

by vyelkin
Yeah, you can tell why the blackout has gone indefinite after 2 days now that the ceo has opened their mouth more when speaking to media. Other subreddits will probably join in soon it's so tone-deaf. Its impressive.

Spell_blade
Apr 8, 2009

Nowher posted:

That's a shame, my city reddit page was quite young, left leaning with a strong 'eat the rich' vibe.

Anyway, that interview is pretty hosed, looks like Power Delete Suite it is. :byewhore:

Yeah I mentioned this in the other reddit thread but a lot of local subs got taken over by right wing people from like Texas or not the places they say they're from. Like r/Canada, infamously far right compared to the people who live there? Yeah, that's because they don't actually live there. I went on r/newjersey and it's not filled with those people but we'd regularly get gun nuts trying to spread misinformation.

E. I'm glad to see the protest is still going on.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009
I missed out on the death of tumblr, Mainly because I wasn't there. I get to watch this in real time which is rather amusing. Seeing tech bros screaming about profits before an IPO while former and current mods screaming about how its their Reddit.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I'm digging how admins/investors are learning how much their site was built on unpaid labour. And the mods/users learning how much their communities were built on the capitalist good will of silicon valley investors

It's pretty funny

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

All I know is I'd rather scroll my life away on the pig balls website than the reddit website.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Poohs Packin posted:

All I know is I'd rather scroll my life away on the pig balls website than the reddit website.

I agree but maybe if we all make reddit more like SA, reddit's CEO will take the Lowtax Express.

I just saw they're suspended or banning mods that support the blackout lol they're so fuckin stupid

pop fly to McGillicutty fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 16, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Lusty Grundles posted:

Couldn't agree more. I've noticed that a bunch of late too, would be interesting to know how Google want to handle this if everything just decides to stay closed.

Imo it's so obvious at this point and such a vulnerability in Google's business plan that I'm amazed they aren't trying to buy Reddit outright themselves.

This might be a hot take but I think it's genuinely so bad at this point that Reddit could hold Google hostage in the same way that Apple holds Google hostage by making them pay bazillion dollars for them to be the default search.

Reddit being removed from Google indexing would loving detonate Google it's so weird they aren't acknowledging this.

Poohs Packin posted:

Really? I feel like they're almost mutually exclusive. SA has the quality and the community on lock but Reddit is just a completely different thing. Another thing Reddit has going for it, is it has a super wide group of users from all age groups and demographics which makes some topics way more interesting than SA which is pretty much 98% males in their late 30s to early 40s. I don't mind SA's demographics but some discussions are just way better when you have boomers interacting with gen z interacting with everyone else, especially societal commentaries. I've had my mind changed on complex and sensitive topics by random posts on Reddit.

Doesn't happen every day or even every month but good discourse, even excellent discourse, happens on Reddit regularly. Even if that's only because there is so much being said at any given time that even if 0.00001% of the posts are truly good, that's a lot of good posts :shrug:

That's not even counting how if you want to read about and debate the merits of like... 1980s water beds but with pork fat instead of water, Reddit somehow has you covered in a way that the audience on SA just isn't going to be able to replicate most of the time.

Taima fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 16, 2023

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Jestery posted:

I'm digging how admins/investors are learning how much their site was built on unpaid labour. And the mods/users learning how much their communities were built on the capitalist good will of silicon valley investors

It's pretty funny

It's not just the unpaid labor of the mods, but the way that CEO talks about the apps stealing his content from his site and serving their ads on HIS stuff he owns... like just gently caress social media and its business model entirely. Why the gently caress would some tech guy running a platform get to hoard and make money off the content made on it as if he and his investors made it all? Whatever legal structure allows for this should not exist. Adobe doesn't claim all the stuff I make for work using their software as their own.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They definitely cannot pick a message between:
1) third party apps are leeches and we want to kill them off
2) this is a reasonable price for API access

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

I'm a little curious about the numbers here. Could Apollo / RIF pay Reddit's new API prices by carrying similar numbers of ads as reddit, and then passing along that revenue? My guess is no, since I see a fair number of ads on RIF and the creator said that they make nowhere near Reddit's asking price.

The Apollo dev ran the numbers on API costs and it'd be $20M a year so that seems unlikely. The Reddit CEO has also made it extremely clear he just wants them gone.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

lol @ everyone just figuring out now that tech dorks are poison.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
ok i clicked this thread out of latent curiosity for how confusing and in the weeds the conversation had gotten at this point but

Taima posted:

Reddit being removed from Google indexing would loving detonate Google it's so weird they aren't acknowledging this.

what

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Steve should have just told the third party apps to gently caress off instead of doing this we want to work with you thing imo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Skeezy posted:

Steve should have just told the third party apps to gently caress off instead of doing this we want to work with you thing imo.

The Apollo dev offered to sell them the app for $10M and that honestly seems like it would have been the best move for everyone.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I secretly believe that if Apollo popped up a dialog that said “at the new Reddit API pricing of $0.24 per 1,000 requests, your cost last month would have been $X”, the $X would be under $1 for most users.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

ok i clicked this thread out of latent curiosity for how confusing and in the weeds the conversation had gotten at this point but

what

Google has been able to just link to different reddit posts as the top non sponsored search. The old blog style websites that had actual useful info on them are mostly gone, and reddit filled the void.

edit: I'll give an example. Say I wanted to find the best bucket for holding other buckets.

The first five google results would be sponsored.

The next result would be a link to a reddit post with 5 other links directly below that reddit post.

The next few dozen results wouldn't be too useful. They'd be websites full of ad copy and affiliate links, or else they'd be related to Homestuck

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 16, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

It's not just the unpaid labor of the mods, but the way that CEO talks about the apps stealing his content from his site and serving their ads on HIS stuff he owns... like just gently caress social media and its business model entirely. Why the gently caress would some tech guy running a platform get to hoard and make money off the content made on it as if he and his investors made it all? Whatever legal structure allows for this should not exist. Adobe doesn't claim all the stuff I make for work using their software as their own.
Ok I'm not particularly invested in reddit or ever used Apollo.

If I understand it correctly, it's just an app interface over the reddit api, the Apollo dev collects money and pays nothing to Reddit.

This is the opposite of the Adobe situation, you pay Adobe serious $$$ and you get the license to do whatever you want with it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fees for large-scale API use are common and customary; Reddit intentionally priced theirs to be way over what anybody would reasonably expect. They also had the option to surface their ads through the API and chose not to. It's kind of hard to discuss this in the context of what makes sense for the business because it seems like their CEO is taking it personally, which he has a history of doing to pretty wild extents.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 16, 2023

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
Nah you guys are loving losers if you support reddit mods

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

This just in - business bosses turn out to be totally egotistical, irrational morons at like a 95% rate

Meritocracy!!

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Taima posted:

Imo it's so obvious at this point and such a vulnerability in Google's business plan that I'm amazed they aren't trying to buy Reddit outright themselves.

This might be a hot take but I think it's genuinely so bad at this point that Reddit could hold Google hostage in the same way that Apple holds Google hostage by making them pay bazillion dollars for them to be the default search.

Don't want to out myself as an S-tier ballbag (rather let my posts do that to be honest) but if I was Mister Google, I'd probably pressure reddit to reopen.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

If I understand it correctly, it's just an app interface over the reddit api, the Apollo dev collects money and pays nothing to Reddit.

Yeah that’s right, and completely valid. But the narrative that’s been coming from spez is all over the road.

It costs them 10m a year offering the current API as is, but they want to charge Apollo (alone) 20m?

Is it worth trashing all your good will, alienating your mods who do your dirty work for free, on a site that lives off of user generated content for profit rather than break even?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Reddit mods acting like they just through war and poo poo. Folks calling them brave for demodding themselves lmfao.

https://youtu.be/LPquarz16wQ

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

UncleBlazer posted:

Is it worth trashing all your good will, alienating your mods who do your dirty work for free, on a site that lives off of user generated content for profit rather than break even?

Make sense? No

Exactly what I'd expect? Yes

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

UncleBlazer posted:

probably is worth it. there are thousands of people who'll happily take over from current mods for free. also most of reddit's content isn't really user generated, it's links to articles or stuff reposted from elsewhere.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

mobby_6kl posted:

Ok I'm not particularly invested in reddit or ever used Apollo.

This is the opposite of the Adobe situation, you pay Adobe serious $$$ and you get the license to do whatever you want with it.

The Apollo dev said he would be fine paying an API fee that was comparable to other services. He already does for Imgur.

The problem was that their API costs are astronomical and devs were only given thirty days to adjust. Reddit did this because they thought it would be a better look than explicitly banning 3rd party apps.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

UncleBlazer posted:

Yeah there is no way this was ran by anyone in comm’s or PR. He probably thinks the candour will be taken better than dancing round the truth but jeeeeez, just comes off more of a knob.

edit: I just realised, indeed, the head of comms was on hand in that call and comes off equally as dickhead

Anna Soellner, Reddit VP of Comms: I feel like you’ve been asking the same question over and over again.”

I laughed that the writer and editor included that bit. It was a fun surprise while reading through.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

teen witch posted:

Oh so Reddit fired their PR, is what you’re saying.

Good god, even if this guy was 100 percent correct, he needed to shut the gently caress up yesterday.

Seriously all they need to do is pause their changes, put out some mealy mouthed bullshit, wait a few weeks, then do it quietly. I've seen it dozens of times. I thought every business in the world was using that playbook by now.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

RandomPauI posted:

Google has been able to just link to different reddit posts as the top non sponsored search. The old blog style websites that had actual useful info on them are mostly gone, and reddit filled the void.

edit: I'll give an example. Say I wanted to find the best bucket for holding other buckets.

The first five google results would be sponsored.

The next result would be a link to a reddit post with 5 other links directly below that reddit post.

The next few dozen results wouldn't be too useful. They'd be websites full of ad copy and affiliate links, or else they'd be related to Homestuck

i get this because i use Google yes but i don't think Google gives a poo poo. maybe I'm wrong. i don't know.. the internet is stupid. I'm going to the beach.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Marx Headroom posted:

Seriously all they need to do is pause their changes, put out some mealy mouthed bullshit, wait a few weeks, then do it quietly. I've seen it dozens of times. I thought every business in the world was using that playbook by now.

I'm watching Twitch do it right now. To poor results I have to say.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

probably is worth it. there are thousands of people who'll happily take over from current mods for free.

Given that one of the issues is poor modding tools I reckon that there's probably a bit of a learning curve that could make that transition pretty rough.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Hilarious that all these "free" sites are turning back into the loving pumpkins they always were.

Meanwhile, ol long tall and handsome SA "pay :10bux: if you even want to loving post and if you poo poo the place up we'll kick you out for good" just keeps rollin rollin rollin rollin on.

Edit: ENSHITTIFICATION, man, once you notice it you see it everywhere eh.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i predict they'll replace the mods easily because it's a site with millions of users so there will be plenty of people happy to mod that don't care about the API changes or whatever

the site will then carry on as normal. maybe a minor quality hit but again it's a site with millions of users and at least 90% of them don't care about any of this and just want to look at cats or argue about politics.

in a few weeks no one will be even talking about this except for the inevitable new subreddits that are dedicated to the topic.

They’re going to lose some posters for good and the internet will fracture back into having a cool part full of college kids, edgy teenagers, hackers, and technically literate old men with pdp11s in their basement and a bigger part for boomers, chavs, and old ladies. Difference will be this time the cool part of the internet will have the cool old ladies and the edgy teenagers will stay on reddit.

Reddit will live on sucking rear end and people will laugh at you for going there like yahoo answers.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

i get this because i use Google yes but i don't think Google gives a poo poo. maybe I'm wrong. i don't know.. the internet is stupid. I'm going to the beach.

I think they might care at some point because they might only turn a .5% increase in profit and they'll need to prove to investors that they're doing something. It'd be dumb, but, dumb timeline

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Taima posted:

Really? I feel like they're almost mutually exclusive. SA has the quality and the community on lock but Reddit is just a completely different thing. Another thing Reddit has going for it, is it has a super wide group of users from all age groups and demographics which makes some topics way more interesting than SA which is pretty much 98% males in their late 30s to early 40s. I don't mind SA's demographics but some discussions are just way better when you have boomers interacting with gen z interacting with everyone else, especially societal commentaries. I've had my mind changed on complex and sensitive topics by random posts on Reddit.

Doesn't happen every day or even every month but good discourse, even excellent discourse, happens on Reddit regularly. Even if that's only because there is so much being said at any given time that even if 0.00001% of the posts are truly good, that's a lot of good posts :shrug:

That's not even counting how if you want to read about and debate the merits of like... 1980s water beds but with pork fat instead of water, Reddit somehow has you covered in a way that the audience on SA just isn't going to be able to replicate most of the time.

Ok.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

JonathonSpectre posted:

Hilarious that all these "free" sites are turning back into the loving pumpkins they always were.

Meanwhile, ol long tall and handsome SA "pay :10bux: if you even want to loving post and if you poo poo the place up we'll kick you out for good" just keeps rollin rollin rollin rollin on.

Where did the term "enshittification" come from? I swear I've started seeing it everywhere online in the past month or so but never heard it before now.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I have people in my life from different "age groups and demographics" as you so redditly put it, thanks.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Nuebot posted:

Where did the term "enshittification" come from? I swear I've started seeing it everywhere online in the past month or so but never heard it before now.

https://pluralistic.net/2023/01/21/potemkin-ai/#hey-guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

JonathonSpectre posted:

The dumb thing is that Reddit could easily chug along basically forever turning a decent profit if it were content to just be Reddit. But it got bought by VC so now it has to have exponential growth forever or it’s failing.