Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thought I would revisit Alien: Isolation after The Bunker. Yeesh that xenomorph ain’t loving around!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Read After Burning posted:

Thank you, friends! I didn't even consider, like, character progression...I was more thinking of "putting in time to properly learn the rules and mechanics so you don't get yelled at by the other players for ruining their game". :kiddo: For example, back when I tried to play TF2, there was no real single-player and/or practice mode, so just jumping straight into Vs mode was very intimidating. 99% of my gaming is single-player, and the other 1% is co-op stuff with my partner.

Does DBD have a good practice/"vs. bots" mode?

The dark secret of DbD is regardless of how good you get people will always yell and insult you no matter how good a sport you are. You could occasionally meet some chill folks but you can also run into some absolutely vile poo poo unasked for just because you're playing X character that that player despises for whatever reason.

I can't speak to how good the bots are as I haven't played in a long while but IMO I would not recommend DbD to you if all you play is singleplayer games with a smidge of co-op.

The burden of knowledge in DbD is pretty immense at this point, and whatever practice mode exists is not gonna prepare you nearly enough for it. Much like any multiplayer PvP live service game with as long a life as DbD has had so far, it's gonna take you minimum a hundred hours or so to feel even like you have even a basic understanding.

That said, if all you want to play is a sweet slasher killer you can just disable the post game chat, load up your favorite killer and just mindlessly chase people if you don't care about winning or learning much. :shrug:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TheWorldsaStage posted:

https://twitter.com/Friday13thGame/status/1666811485811806210?t=HH039gWgClHd8x8W8hkb-A&s=19

One of the funnest games I've ever played. Freakin license bullshit. At least Texas Chainsaw looks to be as good, but I was never a Chainsaw fan, I was a ft13th guy and they knocked it out of the park.

E: On the other side of the coin

https://twitter.com/FANGORIA/status/1666592889579925504?t=afuOO4qS2RDjK1SHpO1C_w&s=19

This is what they get for removing the ability to run over other survivors in the car.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Layers of Fear just came out, they removed the baby

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cowards.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

Layers of Fear just came out, they removed the baby

*removes game from Wish List*

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I got that game for free and still experienced Buyer's Remorse.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So it's a remake? I feel like I cut Bloober a lot of slack compared to most people, but I have no idea why the heck they would remake a game that is a. not very old and b. not that great either.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

So it's a remake? I feel like I cut Bloober a lot of slack compared to most people, but I have no idea why the heck they would remake a game that is a. not very old and b. not that great either.

It's a remake of both 1 and 2 and combined into a single thing

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

watched a video on the western silent hill series and was reminded that bloober's trailer for sh2 remake has james shrieking and crying on the ground, lmao again

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
In the Silent Hill 2 remake, you will be able to go back to James' car and find Mary in the trunk.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Saddest Rhino posted:

watched a video on the western silent hill series and was reminded that bloober's trailer for sh2 remake has james shrieking and crying on the ground, lmao again

Yeah I'm pretty convinced that a lot of people in the industry who think they understand the Silent Hill series and what it's about actually don't so I don't have high hopes for that remake because "just do Silent Hill 2 again but worse" was literally the problem with like, all the western Silent Hills (except I guess for the one that was a sort of remake of SH1). Like I get it, SH2 was everybody's favorite but also the whole reason the Japanese SH games were good is that they didn't just keep doing the same thing over and over again.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Also, I can imagine team Bloober backing away from the more extreme stuff like the Abstract Daddy. Like they'll keep the backstory, but the design will be dialed down.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Given Bloober's history, you may wind up with a mandatory sequence in which you control it and save it from James.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Boulder Punch?

I am playing The Chant and it escalates quickly.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

TheWorldsaStage posted:

https://twitter.com/Friday13thGame/status/1666811485811806210?t=HH039gWgClHd8x8W8hkb-A&s=19

One of the funnest games I've ever played. Freakin license bullshit. At least Texas Chainsaw looks to be as good, but I was never a Chainsaw fan, I was a ft13th guy and they knocked it out of the park.

E: On the other side of the coin

https://twitter.com/FANGORIA/status/1666592889579925504?t=afuOO4qS2RDjK1SHpO1C_w&s=19

I was looking for a thread to talk about this, and I guess I should have realized that this thread was it.

Too bad about F13.

I did the technical game test of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. My impression of it is that it is going to be really fun with friends, but even worse than f13 in public lobbies. F13. could be bad in public lobbies, but unless people were actually griefing (a survivor collaborating with jason, etc.) you could do your own thing. Texas Chainsaw Massacre pretty much mandates cooperation on the bad guy side. There are a lot of obstacles that survivors can get through that some of the family (but not all) can't. Some areas survivors can get to the family can only get to if leatherface breaks a barrier with the chainsaw, others only the high hiker can squeeze through to get to. etc. On the game test for a game that isn't even out yet there was already an insane amount of raging because oops the survivor squeezed by this area and I can't chase it because leatherface hasn't opened this yet!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Disposable Scud posted:

Boulder Punch?

Yep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhFFLwjkgM8

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

It's the game that put them on the map; the studio's been around for 14 years and before Layers of Fear they had made 10 games I guarantee no one has ever played or even heard of. Layers of Fear also came out 2 years after PT and was the first (in sense of a complete game) big "horror walking sims."

I guess they're trying to bank of it's initial success but uh... yeah, I don't think that'll be the case. lmao

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

sigher posted:

Layers of Fear also came out 2 years after PT and was the first (in sense of a complete game) big "horror walking sims."ao

Was it?

Everything frictional has done, Outlast...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm talking the ones like Layers of Fear/PT where you literally don't do anything but walk, Amnesia and Outlast have actual gameplay elements and leaned pretty heavy on stealth. I don't recall there ever being any danger in Layers of Fear or anything to figure out.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

In the Silent Hill 2 remake, you will be able to go back to James' car and find Mary in the trunk.

She wasn't in the trunk, she was in the car. :). One of the Team Silent members recently tweeted that

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The gamefeel and interface of RE Village was so good, that the Beneviento chapter felt like a flex.

You really could expand and build on that to a feature-length game instead of another Bloober chiller written by Garth Marenghi.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Bloober does atmosphere very well and I'm liking the Layers remake so far

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Bloober does atmosphere very well and I'm liking the Layers remake so far

HDR looks really washed out on PS5, wish you could calibrate the brightness when it’s enabled

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The gamefeel and interface of RE Village was so good, that the Beneviento chapter felt like a flex.

You really could expand and build on that to a feature-length game instead of another Bloober chiller written by Garth Marenghi.

or just cut through the bullshit and make a game actually written by Garth Marenghi, which I would buy on day one

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I might try that Layers of Fear remake, I enjoyed the original but for whatever reason got distracted and never finished it. I didn't even realize there was a sequel.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Nae posted:

or just cut through the bullshit and make a game actually written by Garth Marenghi, which I would buy on day one

Yeah, I was gonna say, but that actually sounds *good*

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I would like that garth merengi game a lot

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Love him and Grim Beard.

I kinda want to check out the new Layers of Fear thing but gently caress Bloober.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Finally played some Homebody.

The good is that it's an atmospheric, creepy game that plays with some of the same tools as SH4 and Eternal Darkness, particularly once you're far enough into it that you've gotten a couple of big reveals.

The bad is that it's got some truly obtuse puzzle design, and even if you scumbag your way through it with a walkthrough, there's a timing-based sequence that's truly obnoxious.

It's worth a look if you like surreal puzzle adventures, and it's well-written, but I don't know if I'm going to finish it.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Wrapped up Tormented Souls. All three endings are dookie but I really liked it. Some cool scares and tight gameplay. Going to play Lamentum nest.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tormented Souls was a pretty solid 7/10. At times it was as frustrating as RE0 but it knew when to pull back unlike that pos which can just be unrelenting. Stop throwing these leech zombies in shoulder width hallways one after the other when you’re this stingy with resources jfc!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Has anyone played or even heard of Phobia St Dinfa Hotel or Ikai? My local library has both but I've never heard of either

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I would like that garth merengi game a lot
Good news, The 7th Guest was just re-released in VR!

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Len posted:

Has anyone played or even heard of Phobia St Dinfa Hotel or Ikai? My local library has both but I've never heard of either

they were both good, ikai got tedious at parts but both are definitely worth playing through

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Montague Tigg posted:

they were both good, ikai got tedious at parts but both are definitely worth playing through

Any recommendation on platform? I saw both for Switch but they also had at least one of them on PS4 or 5

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Len posted:

Any recommendation on platform? I saw both for Switch but they also had at least one of them on PS4 or 5

I can't imagine Fobia running well on a Switch. Get the PS5 version.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Finally getting to Dead Space 2 and 12 years later this game still slaps. Nobody except Capcom spends this much money on horror anymore so it’s real neat to play a game that feels timeless through good scene dressing and gross monster design.

The fact that EA’s servers aren’t even active anymore added to the blasted human dystopian future tbh

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I got into it again after the DS remake, and it still looks good, too. Well, after I got it out of the potato resolution it decided my modern computer was capable of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've always preferred Dead Space 2 to the first one, At least until the remake which I think edges it out. DS2 is comfort food. I think it's one of my most replayed games ever. Probably played through it like 5 or 6 times now. It's just such a good balance of horror and action with great pacing. And yeah even today it's a really good looking game. Really does not look 12 years old at all.

Yeah it defaults to like 480p 30fps though lol. If you bump up the resolution and turn off Vync even a potato can run it at 1080 120fps and it looks amazing.