Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

dr_rat posted:

quote:

The Oscar winner said that studios have turned down five of his projects in the last two months and that he's gearing up to focus on animated films only.

“They still say no to me,” the “Nightmare Alley” director said. “In the last two months, they said no to five of my projects. So it doesn’t go away. Making movies is eating a sandwich of poo poo. There’s always poo poo, just sometimes you get a little more bread with yours.”

Just give the man money to make the films he wants to you idiots!

Oh and he also thinks a lot of modern animation is pretty garbage:

quote:

“Animation to me is the purest form of art, and it’s been kidnapped by a bunch of hoodlums. We have to rescue it. [And] I think that we can Trojan-horse a lot of good poo poo into the animation world. I believe you can make an adult fantasy drama with stop-motion and move people emotionally. I think stop-motion can be intravenous, it can go straight to your emotions in a way that no other medium can.”

:( man, that sucks to hear. I know GDT's movies aren't always financial hits, but he's one of the most creative writer-directors out there. Studio bosses are probably like "an original property? Nahhh, how about you do a remake of something that came out five years ago?"

edit: adding quote for new page

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i mean look at david z and max

they don't even wanna greenlight the poo poo they already own

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

With all the trailers I saw during spiderverse I don’t disagree.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Feels like all the massive entertainment conglomerates are just all making GBS threads the bed with the lights on at the same time.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

There probably needs to be a Who Un-Greenlighted thread nowadays

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

i mean look at david z and max

they don't even wanna greenlight the poo poo they already own

They don't wanna greenlight the poo poo they've already MADE

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

davidspackage posted:

:( man, that sucks to hear. I know GDT's movies aren't always financial hits, but he's one of the most creative writer-directors out there. Studio bosses are probably like "an original property? Nahhh, how about you do a remake of something that came out five years ago?"

edit: adding quote for new page

Executives are not creatives. They do not give a poo poo about anything but making money number go up and remaking poo poo that people recognize is more likely to make number go up than an original idea that gasp might fail.

GDT is a dude with big ideas that cost a lot of money. Money that could be lost if the movie isn't the biggest thing since *insert bajillon dollar property* thus we cannot take the risk because the executives would lose a couple of cents from their bank accounts and heaven forbid they lose those cents!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
edit: I got a little snarky in my reply, sorry. Obviously I'm aware that studios are just in it for da money.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 16, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

GDT should act in more stuff based on his performance in Barry

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Alan Smithee posted:

GDT should act in more stuff based on his performance in Barry

Between that and It's Always Sunny he's got good taste.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Forgot about the fake Flaming Hot Cheetos movie but lol

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1669695080452464640

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So I guess it doesn't matter that this guy's story was debunked years ago?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Never stopped them before lol

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah but the last time I checked they weren't screening Conjuring movies at the White House

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I bet obmana watched it

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

So I guess it doesn't matter that this guy's story was debunked years ago?

Apparently the movie itself does toy with the idea that the main character is an unreliable narrator.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Me blinking several times uneasily at this tweet

https://twitter.com/gayTSmcfadden/status/1670193038503849986?t=yKXZxETYGVWtgYf3ir5bug&s=19

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Me blinking several times uneasily at this tweet

Oh god I remember when that entire saga began.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Oh god I remember when that entire saga began.

....no?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

The short version is an individual who was very in over their head somehow wrangled international queer wrestlers for an event, got them to fly out for it from all over, may have been incredibly inappropriate with at least one of them, borrowed money from a too-forgiving mother to reserve the venue but not enough to pay the wrestlers, or at least all of them, and then while all of this was collapsing around them in the wake of the incident, they declared they were gonna go on the then-announced Netflix Squid Game-as-game show series to make sure everyone got their cash and mom got paid back.

I'm glossing over the details but it was a loving mess. "The saga beginning" was a lot of people going "RED FLAGS, RED FLAGS" as the booking happened.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

how did I miss this

I read r/hobbydrama

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

claw game handjob posted:

The short version is an individual who was very in over their head somehow wrangled international queer wrestlers for an event, got them to fly out for it from all over, may have been incredibly inappropriate with at least one of them, borrowed money from a too-forgiving mother to reserve the venue but not enough to pay the wrestlers, or at least all of them, and then while all of this was collapsing around them in the wake of the incident, they declared they were gonna go on the then-announced Netflix Squid Game-as-game show series to make sure everyone got their cash and mom got paid back.

I'm glossing over the details but it was a loving mess. "The saga beginning" was a lot of people going "RED FLAGS, RED FLAGS" as the booking happened.

There's a whole thread in PSP about it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4009433&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Tars Tarkas posted:

Forgot about the fake Flaming Hot Cheetos movie but lol

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1669695080452464640

NOW who’s the Cheeto in Chief???

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

NOW who’s the Cheeto in Chief???

That is the one @POTUS post that would have looked exactly the same if trump had won in 2020.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Trump is probably pissed he missed out on this.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There's no way Trump likes spicy food, he seems like the plain mayo type.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just realized that a new Transformers movie came out a couple weeks ago and nobody has anything to say about it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

That's cause it's a normal movie like Bumblebee was instead of a spectacle like the Bay ones were.
People did talk about the reveal at the end when it was leaked.
It was nice seeing the G1 designs again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

I just realized that a new Transformers movie came out a couple weeks ago and nobody has anything to say about it.
I only found out a week ago that it’s technically a prequel

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

I am unreasonably angry that Spider-Verse only got a week in the premium formats before I could see it so it could be replaced by a Transformers movie absolutely nobody gave a poo poo about.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

But there's a Beast Wars stinger at the end (?) which means that there are like 5 Beast Wars movies that are probably coming down the pipe now that we have to care about

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Feldegast42 posted:

But there's a Beast Wars stinger at the end (?) which means that there are like 5 Beast Wars movies that are probably coming down the pipe now that we have to care about

Nope, it's a GI Joe stinger. Look forward to that series getting a couple of movies.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Kraven the Hunter red band trailer -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rze8QYwWGMs

Mega Ape is a "real" movie with effects that look worse than 2000 direct to video films
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyq39dr3lW4

In movie-adjacent news, Marvel's Secret Invasion used AI in the opening credits and everyone is mad. Will we see AI credits in upcoming MCU films?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Beast Wars was the only Transformers thing I’ve ever liked so I was maybe a little intrigued but I figured they’d just screw it up. I’ll probably watch Bumblebee at some point because people seemed to like it. Besides which Steinfeld and Cena do good work.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Rise of the Beasts was the first Transformers move I saw. I then proceeded to watch all the others afterwards to compare. Bumblebee is pretty decent, Cena is great but he's also only really there for the bookend action scenes.
RotB is also perfectly fine. Its biggest flaw is that the maximals only transform once and then transform back off screen. They also don't do much in the movie, the two that aren't voiced by big names don't speak much, if at all. I hope they stick around for the sequels and actually do things.
Also, technically the GI Joe reveal isn't a stinger, it's just the final scene of the movie, then cut to credits.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

duz posted:

Rise of the Beasts was the first Transformers move I saw. I then proceeded to watch all the others afterwards to compare. Bumblebee is pretty decent, Cena is great but he's also only really there for the bookend action scenes.
RotB is also perfectly fine. Its biggest flaw is that the maximals only transform once and then transform back off screen. They also don't do much in the movie, the two that aren't voiced by big names don't speak much, if at all. I hope they stick around for the sequels and actually do things.
Also, technically the GI Joe reveal isn't a stinger, it's just the final scene of the movie, then cut to credits.

Dark side of the moon is incredible

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

bows1 posted:

Dark side of the moon is incredible

Wholeheartedly agree.

The Transformers movie, Dark of the Moon, is garbage though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Prob one pf the worst if not worst movie I've ever seen in the theater.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/Rahll/status/1671606239472525312?s=20

https://twitter.com/KOPF_STOFF/status/1671453927248740354?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glistening Jones
Jun 19, 2023

by vyelkin

That looks like poo poo