Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

greazeball posted:

Without getting into the weirdness of the proposed term, it would be nice to get away from only PIV being the official sex act.
Gonna have to set fire to the church for that. Which we already have a lot of reasons for, so just add it to the pile and we'll get to it.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not letting my sister use "the family property" for her upcoming wedding?
NTA- Sister had every opportunity to actually communicate and refused to, so gently caress 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

greazeball posted:

Without getting into the weirdness of the proposed term, it would be nice to get away from only PIV being the official sex act.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
e: Seems I should be done with this topic.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 16, 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Are you okay?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not letting my sister use "the family property" for her upcoming wedding?

Sister being vague about the date and the actual property owner being the last to know is 100% an attempted power move. Huge family scapegoat vibes.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Tarkus posted:

Classy people prefer the term, "Getting your cherry popped"

DAE remember Cherry Poppin' Daddies? :barf:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IqH3uliwJY

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 16, 2023

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Let's not get in to what are 'official' sex acts or not, come on. Before you know it, there are all these underground movements that aren't recognised by local or regional sex authorities.

I don't want to have to drive over the border to go and see this one woman because she's the only one with a felching licence.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sister being vague about the date and the actual property owner being the last to know is 100% an attempted power move. Huge family scapegoat vibes.

They literally sent him away to the farm.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

Ugh at virginities being 'swapped'.

The idea of virginity as something you have or don't is damaging to women who have sexual intercourse before a certain age and men who don't have sexual intercourse by a certain age. Sometimes the opposite.

The term "sexual debut" comes with less baggage. This latter term avoids the tremendous harm the former term can cause people who "lost their virginity" with force or coercion.

"Debut" makes it sound like two seventeen year olds are putting on some huge sex themed Shakespeare review. And the "sexually undebuted" college junior sounds like a star waiting to unleash their talents on those they find worthy.

what the gently caress

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Bright Bart posted:

The idea of virginity as something you have or don't is damaging to women who have sexual intercourse before a certain age and men who don't have sexual intercourse by a certain age. Sometimes the opposite.

The term "sexual debut" comes with less baggage. This latter term avoids the tremendous harm the former term can cause people who "lost their virginity" with force or coercion.

"Debut" makes it sound like two seventeen year olds are putting on some huge sex themed Shakespeare review. And the "sexually undebuted" college junior sounds like a star waiting to unleash their talents on those they find worthy.

I feel like this is good enough to get a mod star but you’ll need to try harder to get admin

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Love this thread. The commentary is often weirder than the posts

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Bright Bart posted:

:yikes:

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Johnny Truant posted:

what the gently caress

Meh, I get what they're saying. It sounds weird but it's well-meaning.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I spent half a decade in child protection before I flamed out and foster/adoptive parents are the most mixed bag you can imagine. Some notable archetypes:

The bleeding hearts: these are the best people, usually solidly middle class with the resources to foster one or two children. They tend to average four to five and tread water because they can't say no. They're not looking to adopt and work well with birth parents towards reunification.

The rich adoptees: this couple is in it for a baby. They won't take kids past the cute stage and will actively sabotage the birth parents if left unsupervised. They're not bad, just self interested and if paired with the right kid (cute with a trainwreck mom) they'll foster until they get lucky and drop out.

The real pieces of poo poo are the ones who use the meager state support for a fostered kid as a profit center. They usually have a bunch of kids of their own so care is left to an adultified sibling and economies of scale with cheap lovely food put them in the black. They suck and I hate them.

I really, really, want to foster myself, but I have a young kid in the house now and there's no way I will until she's old enough to effortlessly defend herself. I wouldn't take a toddler until my kid is at least 14. The poo poo that even a five year can do after being exposed to hosed up poo poo is insane.

Once my kid is out of the house though, sign me up for at least one kid at all times. The need is so loving great.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is there a sexual debutante ball?

EDIT: Well that was a terrible question following Chef's post.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
It’s my sexual quinceañera and the whole towns invited

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

The chanclas stay OFF

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

AITA for jumping off a train before the doors closed and “abandoning” my pregnant wife?

quote:

I know the title sounds crazy, I’ll try to explain this as best I can. I’m 29 and my wife is 25. She’s also five months pregnant. Recently we decided to go on holiday together - nothing fancy, just to the coast, which meant we had to get a train. We had maybe three rolling suitcases, and one of those army-style backpacks.

There was no issue as we boarded the train, and we sat down and put the luggage next to us. About twenty minutes into our journey, we heard an announcement over the speakers that the train was being diverted, which meant it wasn’t going to stop at the station we needed anymore. As it was saying this, the train was coming to a stop at the next station.

I panicked and told my wife we had to get off or we weren’t going to be able to get where we needed. I got up and started grabbing our things, and rushed off the train. I couldn’t believe it when I looked round and saw she hadn’t gotten off - she was trying to grab our third suitcase (I had the other two and the backpack). Unfortunately it was too late, and even as I rushed to the doors, they closed. My wife looked like she wanted to kill me, and the train pulled away with her on it.

I called her to tell her to get off at the next stop and I’d get the next one and meet her, but she was absolutely irate and told me the holiday was cancelled and she was going home. To top it off, she told her family and mine and they’re all furious at me for “abandoning” a pregnant woman on a train “headed God knows where” with a heavy suitcase. My father in law told me I was an idiot for what I’d done.

I feel like I was in the right, but my wife and family have other ideas. So Reddit…AITA?

lol

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Also, I can't speak for Canada but in the U.S. if you're non-native and fostering a native kid, you're strongly encouraged to work to maintain the kids connection to their tribe. Some of the best white foster parents I knew specialized in fostering Sioux kids. Their knowledge and interest in the tribe would absolutely come off as a cringy weeaboory if you met them cold or visited their house. Of course they spent 80% of their weekends driving the kids up to the rez to spend time with their cousins.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

AITA for jumping off a train before the doors closed and “abandoning” my pregnant wife?

lol

I'm panicking Neddy, I can't pick up the suitcase

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

My husband eats so. much. food. (over 10k calories a day) and has gotten SO obese and I just don't loving know what to do anymore.

quote:

He didn't use to be like this. We got married when we were both 25, now we're 33 and he's gone from around 180 to over 450 pounds.

Looking at him fills me with horror and despair. He may as well have been diagnosed with terminal cancer because his size is going to have the same result sometime in the next 10 years if he doesn't stop. In my heart I no longer believe my husband will be here by the time I'm 50.

His medical problems so far:
  • A mini stroke from a blood clot
  • Abnormal heart palpitations
  • ER visits both of those times
  • Extremely high blood pressure
  • Extremely high cholesterol
  • Diabetes (didn't check his levels or take insulin as directed until I began reminding him)
  • Inability to walk much (uses a scooter sometimes)
  • Joint pain
  • Lymphedema in one of his legs
  • Sleep apnea and has to wear a cpap machine at night so he won't literally die from not breathing
  • Five different medications that I manage the scheduling of or he wouldn't remember/not care/I don't know.
His diet:
  • Fast food. Goes through drive thru's on his way to work, way home, and/or picks up takeout. Mcdonald's, Burger King, local Chinese joints, taco bell, KFC, popeyes, Domino's, Dunkin donuts, Chick Fil A, pizza hut, Arbys.........
  • Also gets all this delivered from uber eats whenever he feels like it, which is at least once a day. He even does it in the middle of the night.
  • Everything else is just junk food like chips and other packaged snacks. All sorts of candy. Ice cream. Baked desserts. Frozen/microwave food like breakfast trays and sausages, burrito's, easy mac, basically anything you could find at a gas station convenience store.
  • All his meals are full of sugar, frying oil, butter, fat and grease, just the worst ingredients that are exactly what he needs to stop eating.
We're both WFH right now. I've watched him for a few days this week keeping a record of everything he ate (that I saw--if he ate at night or when I was in another room, I missed those) and then looked up the approximate caloric value of every item. Every single day was AT LEAST 10,000 calories. The worst day was a little over 14,000. A sedentary male of his age and height needs around 2500/day, just for comparison.

So this has been an ongoing problem for years and just keeps getting worse. Both his diet and the medical consequences.

I. Am. Terrified... that I'm going to be burying him, possibly before we even reach our 50's and get to enjoy old age together. I'm terrified I'm going to have to see the person I love most in the entire world die from a long, drawn out, painful accumulation of treatable illnesses. And some days I wonder if I'm not already watching that, in slow motion.

I have asked him so many times to please, please eat healthier. He will...he eats the healthy meals I make, but then he STILL eats junk food after. Or orders a second fast food dinner. He doesn't get it's not enough to combat the damage to his body.

I've also begged him to go to the doctor. He only goes when something is catastrophically wrong (see the emergencies in my list above). In fact most of the more "minor" problems in that list were only diagnosed because he happened to be at the ER for something major and they found it.

I've begged him to see a doctor for a routine, non-emergency, check up specifically with the aim of building a support plan for weight loss and healthier diet. He says he'll do it then has excuses why he didn't. I myself have gone ahead and made a couple appointments for him to make sure calling people wasn't stressing him out, and then when the time came he just never went. Same thing with a therapy appointment. I set it up for him and he never went. I wondered and still do if there's something like depression at play, and this is the form it takes? But I'll never know if he won't talk about it to anyone. He doesn't even talk to ME about what's causing it. Beyond saying he just likes food and eating makes him happy.

I'm reaching a point where I feel like my heart is breaking. Like he's leaving me, even though our relationship is as strong as ever. I don't understand it. Why doesn't he care.

What else can I do to get him to take care of himself? Does he not understand that every day he doesn't change is one day closer to him dying young?

I live with this fear every single day and I just can't do it anymore, I need to find SOMETHING that will make him stop. I'm desperate. I cannot just loving give up. Please give me any suggestions you can think of, I'll try anything.

TL;DR: My husband has been overeating for years, gained hundreds of pounds, nothing I say or try to do for him has made a difference. He's going to die. I know it. I need to convince him to just take that single first step towards getting better.
Estimated food budget is 1500 - 2000 per month.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I don't see much of an issue with the 'swapping virginities' statement, seems like a normalish way to say it aside from 'we took each others' virginities'. Definitely agree that the culture around virginity is weird, but I don't think that's going to change.

My (F24) normally stoic boyfriend (M23) broke down in the middle of an argument and I have no idea how to handle it

posted in 2021 posted:

Im 24 and my bf is 23, we've been dating since 2016. He is finishing his course at university while also working and training for army entrance, and Im working and studying as well. This has caused alot of arguments as we cant be together for lots of the day, if Im honest I have been angry and resentful over him coming home late and he just doesnt talk to me about the way he feels. Hehas a hard time expressing himself and I am his first everything because he was quite shy when he was younger.

He is the most stoic person I know, and Ive never seen him show any real emotions besides happiness and anger (and associated). His mom is narcissistic and his dad was absent so Im the first person to truly unconditionally love him, my home life was no picnic either and hes my first boyfriend who really cares for me.

The arguments have been getting worse over the last few weeks over little things like coming home late (from training and work, he is sober and never even goes clubbing, neither do I), me not wanting to have sex after arguments/late at night (he has a higher libido than me although mine is high), and in general him not expressing himself or communicating. He also gets really affectionate sometimes but when I bring it up he sort of retreats into his shell and doesnt talk about it.

Tonight, we were getting into bed after arguing for 10 minutes over him forgetting to do something and he went to hug me. I slipped under him (im super smol) and went to switch off the lamp.

I suddenly heard a sobbing sound, and my 6 foot 3 220 pounds boyfriend, who ive watched box and lift huge weights many times, literally bawling like a baby on the floor. He has never even shed a tear before. I had no idea what to do so I asked what was wrong and he said "he just wants his girlfriend to love him the way she used to and doesnt care about the dumb stuff we're arguing about". I then felt super scared and bad because Ive never seen him like this, and I wanted just to love and look after him even though he pissed me off. I held him for a minute and he kept just repeating "im sorry im sorry" and asking me not to break up with him. Eventually we got into bed and sort of just went to sleep, hes gone to work this morning silently and looking like hes scared of me.

Im confused that hes gone from being completely closed off to broken down to closed off again, and Im really not sure how to proceed when he gets home. Should I bring it up again? I want this relationship to work and I love him, and it broke my heart seeing him cry, but Im really confused rn.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for forgetting about my dog and telling my mom I have bigger things to worry about?

quote:

My husband’s little brothers live with us. We had planned on being child free for many reasons but there was no way we were going to let them two go into foster care or whatever.

They’re only 3 and 4. I don’t know how true this is, but we were told we would likely never see them again if we didn’t take them in.

It was hard. I don’t regret a bit of it but we had to change many things. We’re definitely losing money a lot faster now too and sadly, we even had to give my dog away because the 4 year old is terrified of dogs and was having panic attacks every time he saw her.

My mom was horrified. She hates that I had to sacrifice so much even though I never signed up for it which I suppose I understand. She mostly despises the fact that I gave our dog away. I get that too. I was so heartbroken over it (I cried) but unlike what most people think, the constant exposure was making the 4 year old worse. Not even therapy was helping because he was so overwhelmed already.

My mom thinks I did a cruel thing and says my priority was the dog. I feel guilty. But I’m so busy with the kids and I kind of have bigger things to worry about, insensitive as it sounds. I know my dog’s safe with loving owners, and I’ve moved on.

I was having a really tough day yesterday. My boss is being harder on me ever since I took a break to focus on the kids so I had to deal with that, my husband’s working overtime and the kids were having a bad day and were sobbing over everything. The older one refused to eat, and even threw a bunch of my things on the floor. My mom then dropped by for a quick visit.

I was already on edge so when my mom barged in talking about how she can’t stop thinking of “her” I was so lost. I was waiting for her to say a name but she kept referring to this “her” by pronouns and vague references. I was also cleaning up the broken glass and making sure the kids were fine. I kind of just went “I’m sorry, but who the hell is “her?””

My mom’s jaw literally dropped and she was all like “You don’t know? You actually don’t know? What on earth is wrong with you? She’s been with you for years” then it clicked. I felt bad but again, bigger things to worry about—told her as much. I just told her to leave.

She was shaking her head at me the whole time and said I was practically a sociopath. She understands my choice but thinks I’m a cold hearted bitch because I “forgot” about my dog. I kind of feel like one as well but at the same time, I’ve just moved on to kids that require all my attention. I sometimes forget to shower, embarrassing as it is. AITA?

Edit:

Just wanted to clear some things up. Us taking the kids in was a no brainer. Can’t really ask my family to take them in/they were never really an option and most of my husband’s family are just as bad. His sister refused to take them in for whatever reason so the only ones left were me and my husband. I loved my dog to bits, I miss her presence sometimes too, but I would make the same decision again.

The 4 year old’s fear wasn’t obvious from the get go, he tried so hard to be brave but his fear was so overwhelming that he started getting panic attacks. It was later revealed that he has a lot of trauma related to dogs and we just couldn’t put him through that. Someone suggested living in separate residences… these kids need constant attention and a stable family unit. The older one has several issues and the 3 year old isn’t without them either. Heartbreaking as it is, I cannot think of anything else I could’ve done for my dog.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I slipped under him (im super smol)

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I [26M] upset a woman [20sF] and my friends are acting like I'm in the wrong.

quote:

I went out clubbing last night with my friends. There were seven of us, three guys including me and four girls. My girlfriend Hannah was meant to come too but she was feeling ill. I offered to stay in with her but she insisted I go out and have a good time.

At the club my friends got talking to a group of women who apparently work in finance. They were here for some kind of conference and were checking out the local places in their spare time.

One of them, Lauren, started trying to chat to me and ask for my number. She was pretty but I was not interested as I have a girlfriend. I told her this but she then started asking for pics of Hannah. I showed her and she said that I ''could do better than that''. I was very annoyed and told her to leave me alone.

Later me and my friends were dancing, and Lauren and her group came up to us and she started trying to dance with me. I gave her the brushoff once again and moved away from her and she gave me a dirty look. A while later she came back and by that point was very drunk. She smirked at me and threw her drink in my face. I was absolutely fuming and in response I poured my beer on her head. She started crying and ran to the bouncer who got us all kicked out.

Everyone then proceeded to have a go at me. I understand they were annoyed that we were kicked out, but everyone was acting like I was wrong to pour my drink on her. They all saw her splash her drink in my face, but everyone was saying it was nasty to do that to a girl.

The ladies in our group were talking about how upset they'd be if someone ruined their dress/hair/makeup by doing that, but when I pointed out she did the same to me everyone said that it isn't the same.

Nobody said goodbye to me last night and I made my own way home. I told Hannah what happened and she agrees that I didn't do anything wrong. I tried explaining myself again over the groupchat but everybody ignored me.

How do I sort this out in a mature way?

TL;DR: My friends are acting like I was in the wrong for pouring my drink on someone who threw hers in my face.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

I [26M] upset a woman [20sF] and my friends are acting like I'm in the wrong.

this is just an episode of the Jersey shore

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

MrQwerty posted:

NYE and 4th of July in my neighborhood are awesome because you get to watch fireworks and play what caliber was that report for like 4 hours straight, concurrently

I've always enjoyed the July 4 tradition of listening to the back-and-forth between fireworks and ambulance sirens.

quote:

Dear Doctor NerdLove:

I’m sure if I searched the archives of your column I would find this topic discussed somewhere, but I’m writing to you because I feel like my situation with my boyfriend is somewhat unusual. I’ve been with him for several years, and over the course of our relationship, his breath has gone from occasionally stale to horrible. Like “the funk of 40,000 years” terrible.

I initially approached the problem the way most people do. I didn’t want to hurt his feelings or embarrass him so I would just gently offer him gum or mints from time to time. I then started saying things like, “You know I think you might have some food stuck in your teeth because I smell something a little off. Maybe you should just do a little flossing.” No matter what I said or suggested, he seemed unfazed.

Finally, I just came right out and said it, “I’m sorry. I don’t know if you perhaps have some sort of reflux issue or if you just need a teeth cleaning, but your breath is…. funky.” I suggested he see a dentist. He said he had a bad experience the last time he got his teeth cleaned (over 15 years ago!) and unless he develops pain, he’s not going back. I’ve set up cleaning appointments for him anyway, and of course he blows them off.

His breath has gotten so bad that I cringe when he talks to people because I’m afraid that they smell it too. In fact, my fears were recently realized when he and I had a big argument (about something unrelated to his breath) and when I was seeking the advice of my sister she interjected with the non sequitur, “I’m sorry. I don’t want to be mean, but his breath is terrible. Like I have to hold my breath when he talks to me.” I was mortified.

The issue is now becoming a serious source of tension between me and him. If I ask him to go back and use some mouthwash after he brushes his teeth, he replies with a hostile, “Ugh, you and your sensitivity to smells. Get off my back.” I don’t want to micromanage him or treat him like a child, but unless I resort to rubbing Vicks Vapo-Rub under my nose, I don’t know how to get past this problem. It’s bad and I’m desperate for advice.

Stuck In The Bog of Eternal Stench
I shared this in large part so I could quote some of the bits of the response:

"his sewage mouth"

"happy as a dumpster full of spoiled clams"

"breath like the aftermath of a GG Allin concert"

"friends are grinning weakly and trying very hard to breathe through their skin when they talk to him"

"(his) breath smells the way Jabba The Hutt looks"

"You need to tell your boyfriend, bluntly: “Your mouth smells like every corpse in the La Brea Tar Pits got up and poo poo in it.""

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Thank you for showing emotion, a thing I wish you would do more. I will now hug you for a full minute then gently caress off to sleep.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

I don't see much of an issue with the 'swapping virginities' statement, seems like a normalish way to say it aside from 'we took each others' virginities'. Definitely agree that the culture around virginity is weird, but I don't think that's going to change.

My (F24) normally stoic boyfriend (M23) broke down in the middle of an argument and I have no idea how to handle it

My big tough army man boyfriend who bottles up his emotions and probably has been for years suddenly unleashed them all and now I don't know what to do

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Kurieg posted:

AITA for forgetting about my dog and telling my mom I have bigger things to worry about?

This is just sad and the mom is extremely mean for rubbing it in.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hellblazer187 posted:

This is just sad and the mom is extremely mean for rubbing it in.

I suspect the mom is one of those people that has Opinions about people raising kids they are not biologically related to and the dog is just a smokescreen.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

My big tough army man boyfriend who bottles up his emotions and probably has been for years suddenly unleashed them all and now I don't know what to do

"I wish you would show your emotions more. No, not like that"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

lol

"headed god knows where"

famously unpredictable conveyance "trains"

e: i went back to check if i missed the part where they were in a country where she doesn't speak the language, but no, they just went "down to the coast," presumably not crossing any borders or entering any war zones

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"I wish you would show your emotions more. No, not like that"

Man, this thread has finally hit me firmly in the personal feels. It sucks getting called a robot, then a big pussy when you finally show some emotions.

I think I need a break from this thread, and a long walk alone.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Stick a fence post up their rear end.

Is that what people mean by 'First Post'?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Nocheez posted:

Man, this thread has finally hit me firmly in the personal feels. It sucks getting called a robot, then a big pussy when you finally show some emotions.

Please take care of yourself and reach out to someone if you need anything.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Sexual debut sounds like something a flasher would claim while being arrested.
Goddamnit, now I have the image of a flasher proudly yelling "Curtains up!" while throwing his trenchcoat open stuck in my head like a visual earworm.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://twitter.com/OPHANIMFUJOSHI/status/1669298904087535616

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Nocheez posted:

Yeah, between that story, the dog one, the depressing adoption stories, "please help, my husband is eating himself to death"... Today's crop has given me more frowns and sighs than anything.

Meet y'all over in the #blessed pics thread. Hope you're ok, buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

You would think assholes would not want to adopt, because raising a kid is a lot of work, but there are a lot of different kinds of assholes out there.

So there's something called 'the adoption tax credit'. It's non-refundable, up to ~$13,000, which means you only get a reduction in your taxes down to zero, and then nothing more. It's goal is to reduce the cost of adoption, but it only really works if you're already paying taxes, so for middle-class and above people.

Anyway, the government wanted to promote adoptions so in, I think 2007 or so, they made the tax fully refundable so you could actually get a $13,000 payout even if you didn't owe taxes. AND! you'd get treble the credit if you adopted a child that was developmentally disabled. So up to $39,000.

It was a huge poo poo-show, people would just adopt (sometimes multiple) kids, get the credit and then basically abandon the children. The government very quickly reversed the program the next year. That's how bad it was, the government actually went and fixed its mistake in only a year's time.