Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
In Stray, you press the X button to advance dialog. But when the person says their last thing, the game makes you press B to continue. Really weird choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tears of the Kingdom: easily the worst part of this game is that the blue lizalifos horn is a sick katana and the black horn is just a big, sharp horn. Also it’s a very minor thing but I kinda wish there were “compatibility” bonuses, like make the bokoblin horns give +5 attack to spears since they’re mostly spear haft shaped already, lizal weapons giving +5 to boomerangs, etc.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh man that'd be cool.

One thing that occurred to me is that when you cook meals you have a keyword system where you can throw in any e.g. stamina-restoring ingredient to make the dish Mighty or any heat resistance ingredient to make it Cool or Chilly or whatever it is, but when you go to upgrading the heat resistance armor only very specific named ingredients will do the trick. It's mechanically inconsistent. You shouldn't need specifically 5 Ice Lizalfos Tails but, say, any 20 cold-descriptor materials.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

Tears of the Kingdom: easily the worst part of this game is that the blue lizalifos horn is a sick katana and the black horn is just a big, sharp horn. Also it’s a very minor thing but I kinda wish there were “compatibility” bonuses, like make the bokoblin horns give +5 attack to spears since they’re mostly spear haft shaped already, lizal weapons giving +5 to boomerangs, etc.

Black bokoblin horn to silver bokoblin horn is a travesty.

Hang on let me fuse this Party City novelty hat onto my sword real quick to slay evil.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I somehow haven’t been aimlessly dicking around enough to see silver bokoblins yet (which is kinda wild, getting the hearts needed for the Master Sword in BOTW definitely put me near that threshold and I have it in Tears) but tbh I already resigned myself to silver foes having a combo of super rad horns and just the goofiest loving bullshit.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I haven't even seen a Lynel yet. Probably gonna run into a silver one right off the bat.

Fond memories of the approach to the castle in Breath of the Wild when I entered a gatehouse, portcullis dropped down, there was a silver lynel, and I immediately noped the gently caress out by climbing up the wall to the windows and booked it

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

fighting silver bokoblins and lizards with a heavy weapon is just appalling, especially on the light slopes of zoraland.

whoops just fired you the length of a football field with a single hit. now i gotta do that a couple dozen times. ah poo poo you got knocked down a wet cliff so i did all that for nothing

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Pentiment - In the 3rd act of the game you no longer get to eat lunch with the villagers. It sucks because the lunch events are a great bit of worldbuilding (I loving wish you could eat lunch with characters in Disco Elysium) not only by having you learn about the world through mealtime gossip, but their choice of food gives insight into their character and their status in the village.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

fighting silver bokoblins and lizards with a heavy weapon is just appalling, especially on the light slopes of zoraland.

whoops just fired you the length of a football field with a single hit. now i gotta do that a couple dozen times. ah poo poo you got knocked down a wet cliff so i did all that for nothing

Yeah the knockback is so insane in BoTW. Both ways. Half of every fight is just running up to enemies or waiting for them to come to you. And Link getting knocked down should be a drinking game just to fill the goddamn time he spends thinking about possibly getting up again soon.

The amount of problems is insane. I'm sitting on a bunch of ingredients I just could not be hosed cooking up because I have to do them. One. At. A. Time. Plus a cutscene I have to skip out of every time.

The game is lots of fun punctuated with just intensely frustrating mechanics. It's mindblowing reading people talk about ToTK while I'm playing this precursor full of problems they should definitely have fixed but apparently didn't.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
They let you expedite the cooking by just letting you pick a recipe you already made to auto load the ingredients into your hand. I mean, it’s still kinda baffling that you can’t just make a dozen [insert recipe here] but hey, at least this go around they didn’t significantly impede the development of one of Monoloth Soft’s games to finish this time!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Link is one of the greatest swordsmen in all the realm. He has the master sword, the hylian shield, 40 hearts and 50 defense. But a regular rear end bokoblin hit him and he's rolling on the floor for 10 minutes

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

kazil posted:

Link is one of the greatest swordsmen in all the realm. He has the master sword, the hylian shield, 40 hearts and 50 defense. But a regular rear end bokoblin hit him and he's rolling on the floor for 10 minutes

You can be the best swordsman and still have a really low pain threshold.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

kazil posted:

Link is one of the greatest swordsmen in all the realm.

a regular rear end bokoblin hit him

Found the contradiction.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They keep hitting him in the shin, and all right in the same goddamn spot every time

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

link is a confirmed dipshit and it rules, he hits the bokoblins as hard as he can with the flat part of the blade, that's why the swords break all the time. the monster control crew keeps meaning to tell him he's doing it wrong, but then he turns around and kills a millenia-old ancient demon lord with a stick of butter attached to a mop, so they can't say poo poo to him. he's so used to bokoblins ragdolling off cliff faces when he smacks them with the sword he fused to a mushroom that he thinks it's what you're supposed to do whenever you get hit with swords. he will sooner cartwheel off a cliff face to his death and resurrection by fairy than break kayfabe. he eats rocks for the challenge. He's perfect

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing old PS2 shooter "They Came from the Sky" because it starts fairly basically so it's a good introduction to flight-combat games, at least for me. The problem is that it's too basic, there is no barrel roll or quick turn in the airplane so you have to slowly bank around until you are facing the direction that you need to go in. Also the box says it has ways to upgrade the planes, but I guess I haven't got far enough to get to that yet as it's not giving me any options. Apparently later on I'll unlock UFOs to play as though, so that should be fun.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Getting physically walloped by something 1.5 to 2.5 times your size is going to hurt really really bad no matter how good you are at stabbing things with a sword

But yes holy poo poo ragdoll link is so frustrating at times especially since I focused on stamina and kept my hearts fairly low

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

kazil posted:

A master swordsman would use his shield more

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
He's a swordman not a shieldman

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Leal posted:

He's a swordman not a shieldman

Sounds like he's a getknockedonhisassman

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

If I had the option to either put in effort developing shield skills, or pause time and scarf down a few plates of food whenever I need some extra pep, I know which one I'm choosing

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

If I had the option to either put in effort developing shield skills, or pause time and scarf down a few plates of food whenever I need some extra pep, I know which one I'm choosing

*The lynel waiting patiently as the scrawny guy he just knocked ten feet away inhales a chicken dinner and three plates of mushrooms*

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

You can tell ToTK/BotW isn't realistic because if anyone tried doing that and then proceeded to backflip away he'd immediately empty the contents of his stomach across the bad guy's feet.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

shields are for fusing rockets and flying to the moon :colbert:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Link sits down in the middle of a Lynel fight after calling time out, the Lynel just hanging out, bored, watching him make a mushroom omelette. To his surprise he makes two. Link hands him an omelette, and suddenly working for Ganondorf seems less attractive.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

untrue. you cannot cook with enemies nearby

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

link, master chef, eating five of those weird dandelions that fell from the sky that he dropped in a bowl for 15 seconds, undoing the permanent damage to his life force caused by the magic of an ancient evil, about to slap it silly with a seal plush he attached to a soup ladle

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

just why is it that the Hateno sidequest is an election campaign and not Link helping Cece to build the best fruit hat

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I was surprised to learn that while Link can drop random flowers to make a delicious fried greens meal, putting Hylian Rice alone into the pot is considered dubious food. Hylians rejecting the simple joy of steamed rice with a meal.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Recently started playing Breath of the Wild and what's dragging it down is that the horse riding is so bad compared to Red Dead Redemption 2, which I played earlier in the year. Controlling your horse in RDR2 worked really well, but in BotW it's just unfun and like some slow to steer boat. Maybe it's me, idk, but definitely considering walking places instead of riding because having played something that felt better recently, this is honestly painful. Love the game otherwise though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Recently started playing Breath of the Wild and what's dragging it down is that the horse riding is so bad compared to Red Dead Redemption 2, which I played earlier in the year. Controlling your horse in RDR2 worked really well, but in BotW it's just unfun and like some slow to steer boat. Maybe it's me, idk, but definitely considering walking places instead of riding because having played something that felt better recently, this is honestly painful. Love the game otherwise though.

Oh, between the garbage controls/behavior and how much of a pain it is to actually
call your horse a lot of the time, I just don't touch them outside of required quests in BotW or the new one. Doubly aggravating, the BotW DLC gives you a motorcycle that solves every one of those problems and is fun as hell...except you can only get to it by the time you've completed all the dungeons and have done enough other questing that I'm always ready to just finish up the game by that point :negative:

e: I mean, *look* at this thing compared to the horses, they really needed to unlock it at the beginning of NG+ or something

https://i.imgur.com/EnCzT7N.mp4

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 00:47 on Jun 17, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The point of a horse is to save you time, which is why the process for taking one out is

1. Talk to stable manager, go through some text boxes of dialogue
2. Select "take horse"
3. Scroll to the horse you want to take (this will always be the same one that you've already taken out, still have to do this every time), you are then taken to the horse customization menu
4. Exit the horse customization menu (you can customize it in a separate menu but you still have to go through this every time)
5. Stable manager vomits a further ~8 text boxes of dialogue

now you can at last ride the horse, until you have to abandon it several feet away because it encountered a 10-degree incline.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I liked using horses a lot on my second BOTW playthrough when I had the DLC with the ancient horse armor. That lets you teleport the horse to you, so you never had to interact with the stables unless you were changing the active horse. Lets you ride until you need to climb mountains, cross rivers or anything else you can't do with the horse and then immediately get it back on the other side.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The horse in Elden Ring was really nice. Summon it right under you, mounted combat, double-jump.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
In Daggerfall way back in like 1994 you could ride a horse, cast levitation, and then swoop down like riding a Pegasus and cutting down the population, then swooping back high above them, laughing at their feeble attempts to HALT me

So that's probably the best horse.

Whenever I try to boot up Cyberpunk it tells me I should sign up for their stupid thing, or just continue without signing up. But it doesn't give me an option to sign in. I tried signing up but I'm already a member. Shrug!

credburn has a new favorite as of 05:24 on Jun 17, 2023

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Lobok posted:

The horse in Elden Ring was really nice. Summon it right under you, mounted combat, double-jump.

Yeah, that was great in Immortals Fenyx Rising too

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Starting to picture what Zelda could have been, like a mixture of Skyward Sword and Wind Waker where you spend the bulk of the gameplay navigating between sky islands using a vehicle of your own design, and only occasionally diving to the surface, which is impossibly hosed up with gloom and monsters and large swaths of exposed Depths because the Upheaval had the entire surface explode, some sky islands are recognizably map elements from BotW like the whole of Kakariko village could have been sent up in the air or something.

and in the epilogue you'd get to use a hyperpowered Ultrahand to literally put Hyrule back together

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

so, windwaker 2, in the sky

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It feels like the bosses in Axiom Verge have too much health. The second boss isn't even hard, but the fight just keeps going on and on so it wears me down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Shiroc posted:

I was surprised to learn that while Link can drop random flowers to make a delicious fried greens meal, putting Hylian Rice alone into the pot is considered dubious food. Hylians rejecting the simple joy of steamed rice with a meal.

if you try to cook bomb flowers you don't blow the gently caress up and it sucks