Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A Paradox-like with light Civ elements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Mantis42 posted:

tfw paradox releases a new save breaking update and you have to restart the run 20 years in

you can go back to the previous patch in your steam options which should allow you to continue your file without any problems

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

A Paradox-like with light Civ elements

Sold

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TilFolkvang/status/1669720977511706626?t=fpzVwxx6gLxkIcTe-pV8IQ&s=19

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
If we're publishing a stellaris mod then when are we publishing the ck3 asoiaf guys

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Also the Warcraft mod and Anbennar

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Stellaris but star trek and also mission trees and not running like butt is a win for me.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

4 factions? ST: Armada is 20 years old ffs.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Arrath posted:

botf had 5 lol

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Playable Ferengi when

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Any Star Trek title without Nausicaans is pointless.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Does the old adage still hold up? Not every star trek fan a pedophile, but many pedophiles are star trek fans?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Arrath posted:

Who's missing? Borg and Dominion should be endgame crises, not factions. Ferengi didn't do empire building, but I suppose they could be cool bonus faction using the corporation systems. Breen? Gorn? There are other "powers" we've been told about, but you'd have to make up 90% of the stuff about them for the game because they didn't actually do anything in any of the TV shows.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Eiba posted:

Who's missing? Borg and Dominion should be endgame crises, not factions. Ferengi didn't do empire building, but I suppose they could be cool bonus faction using the corporation systems. Breen? Gorn? There are other "powers" we've been told about, but you'd have to make up 90% of the stuff about them for the game because they didn't actually do anything in any of the TV shows.

Yeah I don't know lol

It seems to hit on the big guys, sure. I actually endorse the decision to have the Cardassians playable rather than the Borg. But I think maybe it should hew for a more traditional Paradox GSG feel and have folks like the Gorn, Breen, Ferengi, etc as smaller states/OPM style groups ingame with a static starting map (or go full turbo fan and have start dates that change the map), rather than a Stellaris/4x symmetric start.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was more surprised to learn that the Star Trek mod for Stellaris actually starts at the Enterprise/Captain Archer stardate and setting. I wonder how well that manages to handle the Temporal/Xindi Wars, and whether it can credibly transition into something that looks like the TOS era (never mind the TNG/DS9 eras)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was more surprised to learn that the Star Trek mod for Stellaris actually starts at the Enterprise/Captain Archer stardate and setting. I wonder how well that manages to handle the Temporal/Xindi Wars, and whether it can credibly transition into something that looks like the TOS era (never mind the TNG/DS9 eras)

It does the cosmetic transition very well. As the timeline progresses, your leaders transition uniform styles according to the date. It's pretty neat. Likewise for ship aesthetics.

The Xindi Wars are abstracted via event chain and not as an actual declared war between empires. While I've never seen the AI lose the Xindi event chain, I definitely more often than not see the Federation get formed in wonky ways, usually without the Andorians.

Edit: talking about New Horizons here, I'm not sure how New Civilizations handles it since their design seems to hew much closer to the vanilla Stellaris gameplay.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Arrath posted:

Remember how this was a complaint for Total War Warhammer 1?

I see value in Paradox's approach of giving you 200 playable factions with some having special content and most having some special circumstances due to a combination of geographic, economic, and social differences. But in a game about the established universe focused on narrative so much limiting the number of playable factions and making them truly distinct works is a good idea.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

ilitarist posted:

Remember how this was a complaint for Total War Warhammer 1?

I see value in Paradox's approach of giving you 200 playable factions with some having special content and most having some special circumstances due to a combination of geographic, economic, and social differences. But in a game about the established universe focused on narrative so much limiting the number of playable factions and making them truly distinct works is a good idea.

Total Warhams 1 was pretty poo poo, and when it hit its stride in 2 it had like 30 factions...

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jun 19, 2023

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Eiba posted:

armada 2 had the federation, Klingons, romulans, borg, cardassians, and species 8472

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

They've shown Mission Trees so it also seems very likely all those empires can have huge transformations. Of course, the Federation was on the verge of transforming into an evil empire before Pickard shot space parasites or whatever, but others have plenty of sub-factions and potential transformations. I imagine Romulans will have some hippie path of reuniting with Vulcans, Cardassians can go full Obsidian Order etc. And of course, it will be very strange if interactions with inevitable crises are not there.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

4 factions to start is fine, so long as the game itself isnt a lovely cash grab. We shall see

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Are there wookiees? I want to play a wookiee

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

You are consufing Star Trek with that space wizard franchise for little babies. Here in Star Trek we don't have wookies. You'll be able to play as Orcs, Dark Elves, Nazi Lizardmen and Communists.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Star Wars OG trilogy is for children, Trek is for teens and teenbrains who lack critical thinking and analytical abilities yet still pretend to maintain a level of discernment in media, Star Wars Prequel trilogy is for 200+ iq savants. Disney Star Wars is for those whom the term adulting is an actual term to be used without a sneering tone; basically funkopopites and other flavors of the modern lobotomite.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
source your quotes lol

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gaius Marius posted:

Star Wars OG trilogy is for children, Trek is for teens and teenbrains who lack critical thinking and analytical abilities yet still pretend to maintain a level of discernment in media, Star Wars Prequel trilogy is for 200+ iq savants. Disney Star Wars is for those whom the term adulting is an actual term to be used without a sneering tone; basically funkopopites and other flavors of the modern lobotomite.

Where does Babylon 5 fit into this scheme?

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Right next to Cleopatra 2525 or whatever.

Where does Battlestar Galactica fit into this scheme tho?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Gaius Marius posted:

Jabor posted:

source your quotes lol

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Half-wit posted:

Where does Battlestar Galactica fit into this scheme tho?

BSG is loving great, and if anyone here shits on Homeworld so help me....

I really wish Stellaris had a horde/traveling civilization type other than the traders, it'd be cool to play the Kushan or Quarians!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Some way to have powers uncoupled from the territorial system would be cool, although we've been saying that about every Clausewitz game for like 10 years now. Was disappointed the origin in one of the recent expansions with a ship of freed enslaved people just dumps you on a planet like every other start rather than making you start out on that ship.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Babylon 5 > DS9 > BSG > everything else

I've been playing a non-Paradox GSG called Terra Invicta, it's pretty great. It has the backstory of XCOM, the geopolitics of EU4, the ship designer of Aurora, and the orbital mechanics of Kerbal Space Programme. There are so many different main gameplay mechanics happening at the same time (Westphalian states, secretive faction politics, agents hunting one another, developing a space industry, researching techs, building ships, managing fleet positions and supplies) and you need to juggle them all because they all interact. Learning this new game reminds me a lot of when I first got into Paradox games and had no idea what I was doing.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I was interested in that game but the Steam reviews scared me off

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the Three Moves Ahead review of it made it seem really cool, even just to dick around with, and they're by the folks who made XCOM Long War, but I'm still waiting for a slightly deeper sale before picking it up

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Terra Invicta is a very clunky game but it's also interesting in a way that 99% of games aren't so it balances out.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I really want to like TI but for all it's grand war in space xcom adjacent fluff it's 25 hours of token placement before you get your first usable space ship

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

GrossMurpel posted:

Total Warhams 1 was pretty poo poo, and when it hit its stride in 2 it had like 30 factions...

I don't think the first one being poo poo is the popular opinion

e: also they should make a stellaris spinoff set in Star Wars Episode II

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 21, 2023

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Grevlek posted:

I really want to like TI but for all it's grand war in space xcom adjacent fluff it's 25 hours of token placement before you get your first usable space ship

I'm guessing from the time period starting option there will be futuristic scenarios where Earth has already developed space before aliens arrive

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The China History Podcast is one of my main pods I listen to on the way to work - so hearing Laszlo talk about EU4 was awesome

https://twitter.com/E_Universalis/status/1671490685877248000

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Huh, not a crossover I expected but I'll have to give that a listen.

Considering for years Ming didn't get a mission tree "nobody on the team is intrested in Chinese history" particularly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Grevlek posted:

Nah, you can get to "suicide sled for LEO intercept" in a single sesh no problem. It's a slow game, but not that slow.

And the token placement is the good part anyway