Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

Where did the term "enshittification" come from? I swear I've started seeing it everywhere online in the past month or so but never heard it before now.

https://www.wired.com/story/tiktok-platforms-cory-doctorow/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

mobby_6kl posted:

Ok I'm not particularly invested in reddit or ever used Apollo.

If I understand it correctly, it's just an app interface over the reddit api, the Apollo dev collects money and pays nothing to Reddit.

This is the opposite of the Adobe situation, you pay Adobe serious $$$ and you get the license to do whatever you want with it.

I'm talking about users. Not Apollo users: all reddit users, everybody posting content unpaid and making the site valuable to anyone. It's legal and allowed for the CEO to treat (as he clearly does in that interview) all those people's thoughts and creative work and information as his own property. He and his investors did not write or create the content on reddit that these apps are serving and he acts like somebody's plagiarizing his work. He didn't write poo poo except some terrible AMAs and I guess the rules for the jailbait subreddit.

Just venting at capitalists.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I'm talking about users. Not Apollo users: all reddit users, everybody posting content unpaid and making the site valuable to anyone. It's legal and allowed for the CEO to treat (as he clearly does in that interview) all those people's thoughts and creative work and information as his own property. He and his investors did not write or create the content on reddit that these apps are serving and he acts like somebody's plagiarizing his work. He didn't write poo poo except some terrible AMAs and I guess the rules for the jailbait subreddit.

Just venting at capitalists.

Upvoted

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

I'm a little annoyed that the conversation has been able to be steered to focus on third-party apps and readers, to be honest; these API changes also screw any helpful automation that's not directly baked into the platform. This would be less of an issue if the place wasn't infested with a botting problem that management is either too inept or indolent to deal with. and the API changes won't even stop that either - you don't need API access to make accounts or post. It's a pity that no one being targeted for the inevitable IPO will likely realize this.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tbqh 99% of the time I find the community bots to be spam and when I was slightly more of a dipshit than I am now I would report them as such

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Really loving this new era of social media committing suicide. Tech in general, honestly.

It Could Happen Here had an episode yesterday talking about just what a scam "AI" is and it ended up touching on the real fact of tech as an industry right now:

Every company is run by a con artist these days. A con artist who is desperately trying to get bought up by someone larger than him. A reverse pyramid scheme of sorts. And if you're Google/Apple level you're not trying to get bought out, you're doing the buying, and you're desperately trying to find the next Smart Phone, the next "Social Media", the next thing that's going to be a paradigm shift. The problem is that you can't. All that you have is 5 million apps about cat butts, a million apps about finding wine you like, and you have a sea of smaller con artists trying to bait you into a merger who know they just gotta make their poo poo look like gold for a couple years before they're set for life and can gently caress off. It's the same cycle over and over: "Disruptor apps", Crypto, "Metaverse", now "AI". None of these things are real or were ever going to be profitable in the way that investors wanted. Nothing will ever again see the returns that computers, the internet, and social media managed to produce. Not because there will never be anything as good as those things made ever again, but because the people in charge will never allow it to grow the way it needs to in order to facilitate that. That's because ultimately what all these dumb motherfuckers want to do is go back in time, find Tim Burners Lee as he's developing HTTP, and convince him to make it a walled-garden and to give them exclusive rights.

Double A
Jun 16, 2023

Crain posted:

Really loving this new era of social media committing suicide. Tech in general, honestly.

It Could Happen Here had an episode yesterday talking about just what a scam "AI" is and it ended up touching on the real fact of tech as an industry right now:

Every company is run by a con artist these days. A con artist who is desperately trying to get bought up by someone larger than him. A reverse pyramid scheme of sorts. And if you're Google/Apple level you're not trying to get bought out, you're doing the buying, and you're desperately trying to find the next Smart Phone, the next "Social Media", the next thing that's going to be a paradigm shift. The problem is that you can't. All that you have is 5 million apps about cat butts, a million apps about finding wine you like, and you have a sea of smaller con artists trying to bait you into a merger who know they just gotta make their poo poo look like gold for a couple years before they're set for life and can gently caress off. It's the same cycle over and over: "Disruptor apps", Crypto, "Metaverse", now "AI". None of these things are real or were ever going to be profitable in the way that investors wanted. Nothing will ever again see the returns that computers, the internet, and social media managed to produce. Not because there will never be anything as good as those things made ever again, but because the people in charge will never allow it to grow the way it needs to in order to facilitate that. That's because ultimately what all these dumb motherfuckers want to do is go back in time, find Tim Burners Lee as he's developing HTTP, and convince him to make it a walled-garden and to give them exclusive rights.

And what's the end state here? Everything is poo poo and parcelled out, or everything is poo poo and on fire?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Nuebot posted:

Where did the term "enshittification" come from? I swear I've started seeing it everywhere online in the past month or so but never heard it before now.

Cory Doctorow

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

when will he answer for his crimes?

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Crain posted:

That's because ultimately what all these dumb motherfuckers want to do is go back in time, find Tim Burners Lee as he's developing HTTP, and convince him to make it a walled-garden and to give them exclusive rights.

which makes me wonder why any of these stupid bastards think that Tim Burners Lee would give them the rights in the first place and not tell them to gently caress off like people do to "ideas guys" today. it's not like you get fellowship at CERN by turning in cereal boxtops

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

If everyone that's ever told me about their 'game-changing' app had something that was worth the time spent hearing about it, I'd probably be able to buy reddit at this point.

Everyone having a hustle now is only because of the ridiculous level of importance of money. I don't blame them for trying to get theirs, working non-stop for 50 years just to not die in a gutter covered in a puddle of your own piss sounds an absolute nightmare.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

JonathonSpectre posted:

Hilarious that all these "free" sites are turning back into the loving pumpkins they always were.

Meanwhile, ol long tall and handsome SA "pay :10bux: if you even want to loving post and if you poo poo the place up we'll kick you out for good" just keeps rollin rollin rollin rollin on.

Edit: ENSHITTIFICATION, man, once you notice it you see it everywhere eh.
Even when I got into Digg and then Reddit, these forums were always worth lurking on.

Pretty happy that SA has stayed mostly consistent over the years. I wasn't here for when Lowtax's brain stepped out for a breath of fresh air, so maybe I missed something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Double A posted:

And what's the end state here? Everything is poo poo and parcelled out, or everything is poo poo and on fire?

Just a constant background boom and bust of things that exist to chase investor money and may or may not temporarily provide value to people in the meantime

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

I dunno what happened to reddit exactly, but I will say that there has not been this many users online in GBS for a bit.

Like I'm taking maybe an extra 200 users logged in!

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
/r/sinkpissers is holding down the fort, unfazed by this drama

Lick Joe
Sep 30, 2000
Forum Veteran

Tiny Timbs posted:

tbqh 99% of the time I find the community bots to be spam and when I was slightly more of a dipshit than I am now I would report them as such

Don't worry, they've carved out some exceptions for bot developers, so you don't need to worry about saying goodbye to that valuable conversation

Gandalf_the_GreyNotGraybot says:

Hi hello you've made a mistake it's actually Gandalf the Grey, not Gray. The word Grey is of Sudnordgermanian origin which is consistent with Maiar naming schemes. Please respect Tolkien's spelling conventions, Thanks!

I am a bot, beep beep. Also you best not post any imperial measurements or I'll be up your rear end incessantly converting your hectares into metric units. Beep beep bitch.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Blow posted:

I dunno what happened to reddit exactly, but I will say that there has not been this many users online in GBS for a bit.

Like I'm taking maybe an extra 200 users logged in!

it makes sense. Old GBS had a lot of overlap with what Reddit is now, so people who left SA for Reddit (dummies) would probably come back to SA hoping for GBS to be the way it was in 2010.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

greatBigJerk posted:

Even when I got into Digg and then Reddit, these forums were always worth lurking on.

Pretty happy that SA has stayed mostly consistent over the years. I wasn't here for when Lowtax's brain stepped out for a breath of fresh air, so maybe I missed something.

It was essentially one thread where everyone who had been on Lowtax's side during forum drama realized he was an rear end. Shortly after that he sold the site and was ceremonially permabanned before he permabanned himself from life shortly after.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

it makes sense. Old GBS had a lot of overlap with what Reddit is now, so people who left SA for Reddit (dummies) would probably come back to SA hoping for GBS to be the way it was in 2010.

I came back because I just don’t want to use Reddit anymore but GBS is pretty much the same as it was 10 years ago including the super cringe forums tribalism, which can be overlooked for the most part

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

including the super cringe forums tribalism

you just mean when everyone correctly says reddit sucks a fat one yeah?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

GBS is pretty much the same as it was 10 years ago including the super cringe forums tribalism

gbs is full of pet freaks

https://i.imgur.com/imbBbz9.mp4

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Konar posted:

you just mean when everyone correctly says reddit sucks a fat one yeah?

Yes but don’t forget that the 2nd or 3rd most famous goon just got taken down last year for protecting an actual pedophile for like 12 years & also covering up an actual rape after the abusive former owner of the site disconnected from life’s WiFi. Reddit has problems but clean SA is a myth.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Lick Joe posted:

Don't worry, they've carved out some exceptions for bot developers, so you don't need to worry about saying goodbye to that valuable conversation

Gandalf_the_GreyNotGraybot says:

Hi hello you've made a mistake it's actually Gandalf the Grey, not Gray. The word Grey is of Sudnordgermanian origin which is consistent with Maiar naming schemes. Please respect Tolkien's spelling conventions, Thanks!

I am a bot, beep beep. Also you best not post any imperial measurements or I'll be up your rear end incessantly converting your hectares into metric units. Beep beep bitch.

good bot

B0tRank says:

Thank you, cbd corndog, for voting on Gandalf_the_GreyNotGraybot!

This bot wants to find the best and worst bots on Reddit. You can view results here.

Even if I don't reply to your comment, I'm still listening for votes. Check the webpage to see if your vote registered!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Yes but don’t forget that the 2nd or 3rd most famous goon just got taken down last year for protecting an actual pedophile for like 12 years & also covering up an actual rape after the abusive former owner of the site disconnected from life’s WiFi. Reddit has problems but clean SA is a myth.

Who in the goddamn hell ever imagined a clean SA

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

What did happen to GBS? I do vaguely remember it changing all of a sudden.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

gbs is full of pet freaks

:glomp:

:suicide:

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Who in the goddamn hell ever imagined a clean SA

^^^

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

hello redditors, did you come back worse or better for it

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Ok I'm not particularly invested in reddit or ever used Apollo.

If I understand it correctly, it's just an app interface over the reddit api, the Apollo dev collects money and pays nothing to Reddit.

This is the opposite of the Adobe situation, you pay Adobe serious $$$ and you get the license to do whatever you want with it.

It has nothing to do with people paying nominal amounts to 3rd party app devs - it has everything to do with the fact that 3rd party apps don't display Reddit's ads. Reddit is mad that they can't serve ads to those people. Everything about reddit since the redesign has historically been about avoiding ways that users block ads.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
If you take the side of reddit mods, you might want to rethink it.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

I used to give lowtax all my leftover prescriptions so I could laugh at his strange behaviors.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Internet Old One posted:

I used to give lowtax all my leftover prescriptions so I could laugh at his strange behaviors.

It worked

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

here's the top post in /r/movies today if you're curious what kind of person uses reddit

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

deep dish peat moss posted:

It has nothing to do with people paying nominal amounts to 3rd party app devs - it has everything to do with the fact that 3rd party apps don't display Reddit's ads. Reddit is mad that they can't serve ads to those people. Everything about reddit since the redesign has historically been about avoiding ways that users block ads.

If the amount that Reddit wanted from third party apps was roughly in line or even a small multiple of what they’re losing by not serving ads no one would care. I think the math I saw said the charge was about 40x what they’re missing out on which is excessive.

greatBigJerk posted:

What did happen to GBS? I do vaguely remember it changing all of a sudden.

By my recollection the big change was that more and more things got shuffled off into other sub forums to try and get GBS posting down to managable levels. I particularly remember the PYF split being contentious but it’s been a while and I probably have some of that wrong.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

smoobles posted:

here's the top post in /r/movies today if you're curious what kind of person uses reddit

im permabanned reddit poster RompaStompa07. i first started reading reddit when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the movie "hot fuzz" and tried to post about it constantly,

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

If the amount that Reddit wanted from third party apps was roughly in line or even a small multiple of what they’re losing by not serving ads no one would care. I think the math I saw said the charge was about 40x what they’re missing out on which is excessive.

Right - the point is that they're not trying to break even with the app devs, they're trying to show ads to their users. Raising the ad rates is likely to come later so that each one of those impressions earns them more money because they can claim ads reach a higher percentage of users.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

smoobles posted:

And to think there's 1.66 billion of this guy in Reddit's userbase. And they're all this easily wowed by basic concepts.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
that guy's wife should leave him asap

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

And to think there's 1.66 billion of this guy in Reddit's userbase. And they're all this easily wowed by basic concepts.

It should be illegal to train AI on this material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Internet Old One posted:

Lowtax...

Hmmm. I met him irl in :australia: in 2004.

I turned up to the Goonmeet at The Coogee Bay Hotel and it was full of goons that had been playing DDR in the city prior.

Weird looking fuckers.

Lowtax seemed to gravitate to me as I was probably the only cool person there.

I was bombed on Valium and Weed and Beer.

Yeah. Lowtax was a dick irl come to think of it.