Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of June's main events are you most looking forward t--hold on, I've just be
This poll is closed.
Jack Hermansson vs Brendan Allen 2 14.29%
Amanda Nunes vs Julianna Peña 3 2 14.29%
Basically every single PFL fight previously planned 3 21.43%
I mean, Bhullar vs Malykhin hasn't technically been cancelled yet 7 50.00%
Total: 14 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that TKZ wants this fight as a last hurrah and I'd much rather see him take a crack at one of the all time greats and hang it up instead of steadily sliding down the rankings fighting progressively younger guys with bigger power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Media's picking up the the Conor story. I just read it -- it's really egregious. gently caress him, and good on the victim for fighting him off and reporting it right away. I hope the evidence is enough for prosecution to work with.

But also the victim sucks for being willing to go with him to a hotel [in the revised statement], just short of having an affair in front of his fiancee's face. Drop his rear end, Dee.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that TKZ wants this fight as a last hurrah and I'd much rather see him take a crack at one of the all time greats and hang it up instead of steadily sliding down the rankings fighting progressively younger guys with bigger power.

ditto. id have rathered TKZ hung em up after the life altering beating he took in the title fight than keep chugging on, but if he's gonna scrap, id rather he take his licks from a guy like max instead of corb fuckler's unranked cousin

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

kimbo305 posted:

Media's picking up the the Conor story. I just read it -- it's really egregious. gently caress him, and good on the victim for fighting him off and reporting it right away. I hope the evidence is enough for prosecution to work with.

But also the victim sucks for being willing to go with him to a hotel [in the revised statement], just short of having an affair in front of his fiancee's face. Drop his rear end, Dee.

I know we all hate Conor and victim blaming is bad, but it does seem as though the lawyer who sent the letter is a non-prominent solo practitioner who is being investigated for bribing a witness, so it might be better to start taking these accusations with the some grain of salt.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

blue footed boobie posted:

I know we all hate Conor and victim blaming is bad, but it does seem as though the lawyer who sent the letter is a non-prominent solo practitioner who is being investigated for bribing a witness, so it might be better to start taking these accusations with the some grain of salt.

Don't start this.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

gently caress you

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The statement goes into a bizarre amount of detail about how flaccid Conor’s dick was. Not saying at all I don’t believe the woman but I think she may have gotten a lovely lawyer.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

People love Conor for his fighting but it is also easy to acknowledge he is a turbo turd

coathat
May 21, 2007

Great Friday Muay Thai this morning

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

The grain of salt got washed away long ago by the all the other accusations from all the other women, as well as the various other dumb poo poo this man has done publicly that is not even theoretically in dispute (punching the old man at the bar etc).

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

The statement goes into a bizarre amount of detail about how flaccid Conor’s dick was. Not saying at all I don’t believe the woman but I think she may have gotten a lovely lawyer.

Yeah that was my response to the statement too, which is why I posted on the last page or so that I don’t think Conor will be able to get out of this, but a lawyer bribing a witness does set off some alarm bells for me. Anyway it’s clear from the immediate responses that we can’t discuss this rationally, so

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Having a lovely lawyer doesn’t make a victim less credible hth

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Opened YouTube and the first video was Conor getting knocked the gently caress out by Dustin and seeing McGregor sad and defeated made me happy

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

MCGREGOR IN PRISON FOREVER ?

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 16, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah that was my response to the statement too, which is why I posted on the last page or so that I don’t think Conor will be able to get out of this, but a lawyer bribing a witness does set off some alarm bells for me. Anyway it’s clear from the immediate responses that we can’t discuss this rationally, so

I would have ignored this but for the bolded part, so I'm clarifying my previous "don't do this" post.

You're not the facts and logic person in this situation. You're just saying some poo poo. Despite hand wringing to the contrary, the incidence of false rape accusations is vanishingly small, and the conviction rate is so atrocious because people trip over themselves to pick apart any little flaw in a victim's statement. Those "observations" get repeated until the public discourse is poisoned against the victim, and in high-profile cases this just often leads to victims settling to make the harassment go away. This then makes future victims less likely to come forward. The worst part is that it's extremely common for victimized and traumatized people to have inconsistencies in the details of their stories, because brains aren't good at recording details under that kind of stress, so their trauma makes them more likely to be the target of this kind of scrutiny.

You may have not realized that's what you're doing, but that's a consequence of the discussion that you're adding weight to.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

AndyElusive posted:

MCGREGOR FLACCID FOREVER ?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

AndyElusive posted:

MCGREGOR IN PRISON FOREVER ?

God I hope so. If this doesn’t do it then he’s going to have to kill somebody I guess.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Having a lovely lawyer doesn’t make a victim less credible hth

Of course, but what we have is a letter from a lawyer who is less credible as a result of being a lovely lawyer.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

excuse my superfast photoshop

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

*Conor leaning against the wall with a flaccid dong*

"DOCTOR STOPPAGE! DOCTOR STOPPAGE!"

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

God I hope so. If this doesn’t do it then he’s going to have to kill somebody I guess.

This man will never see a day in prison and it will make me so mad

mewse
May 2, 2006

Since we're discussing victim blaming

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Just learned there was a Bellator card on tonight. It has two major titles fights and features multiple former UFC stars. Didn't know it existed until 15 minutes ago. They're doing a great job.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

reeg posted:

Just learned there was a Bellator card on tonight. It has two major titles fights and features multiple former UFC stars. Didn't know it existed until 15 minutes ago. They're doing a great job.

Oh man I might flip that on if I can retain it in my memory for the next few hours. So probably not I guess

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Of course, but what we have is a letter from a lawyer who is less credible as a result of being a lovely lawyer.

The lawyer isn’t the one accusing him of rape.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

CommonShore posted:

I would have ignored this but for the bolded part, so I'm clarifying my previous "don't do this" post.

You're not the facts and logic person in this situation. You're just saying some poo poo. Despite hand wringing to the contrary, the incidence of false rape accusations is vanishingly small, and the conviction rate is so atrocious because people trip over themselves to pick apart any little flaw in a victim's statement. Those "observations" get repeated until the public discourse is poisoned against the victim, and in high-profile cases this just often leads to victims settling to make the harassment go away. This then makes future victims less likely to come forward. The worst part is that it's extremely common for victimized and traumatized people to have inconsistencies in the details of their stories, because brains aren't good at recording details under that kind of stress, so their trauma makes them more likely to be the target of this kind of scrutiny.

You may have not realized that's what you're doing, but that's a consequence of the discussion that you're adding weight to.

This is a false equivalency. Pointing out that the victim’s lawyer is under investigation for serious ethical wrongdoing is not the same as blaming the victim. At this point all we have is an unverified demand letter. We don’t know whether the lawyer had the authority to send the letter, whether the client approved the contents of the letter, or even if the victim is, in fact the lawyer’s client.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Regardless of your merits and your suspicions of this lawyer, if you're sitting around writing hundred plus word posts about why we should be suspicious of around the circumstances of a woman who says she got sexually assaulted people are probably gonna think you're an rear end in a top hat and in statistically almost every case they're probably right

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

conor loving sucks i hope his next cage fight is in a prison cell

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Spaced God posted:

Regardless of your merits and your suspicions of this lawyer, if you're sitting around writing hundred plus word posts about why we should be suspicious of around the circumstances of a woman who says she got sexually assaulted people are probably gonna think you're an rear end in a top hat and in statistically almost every case they're probably right

For what it’s worth the video of the victim and Conor going into the bathroom has now been released and the lawyer is no longer claiming that the victim was forced into the bathroom by security, so while I didn’t say anything about being suspicious about the circumstances, there do seem to be some issues with what the lawyer is communicating to the press.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

mewse posted:

Since we're discussing victim blaming

DO YOU WANT TO BE A loving MASCOT???!!!

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

reeg posted:

my b league previews have died because my motivation has died

sorry

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

LobsterMobster posted:

my b league previews have died because my motivation has died

sorry

As much as I would like to blame you I don't think Something Awful forums member 'LobsterMobster' should be singularly responsible for a major MMA organization's marketing

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
https://sports.yahoo.com/video-emerges-that-reportedly-shows-conor-mcgregor-leading-rape-accuser-into-bathroom-at-heat-arena-185624502.html seems bad man

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
ONE Friday Fights report:

Must-see: Mongkolkaew (150-39) vs. Sonrak (61-19) (MT 135) 3:57:48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwk0ZvHJ7Ko&t=14268s

Rest of report: https://bocot.substack.com/p/one-friday-fights-21-2023-06-16

In sad news, a Thai Instagram page is reporting that the referee that everyone always notices in ONE Friday Fights that "catches the guy's head as he's getting knocked out" apparently killed himself:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CtkELf0SrYC/

muaythaiiyarin posted:

muaythaiiyarin's profile picture
RIP 🙏
Shocking on Muaythai industry "Paopom Watcharin" shot himself dead.

At about 4:00 p.m. last night The police investigated the man used firearm. Shot himself to death in a condominium in the Bang Kapi area, where the deceased was Police Sergeant Watcharin Ratchaniphon, known in the boxing world as "Paopom", is the only Thai referee in the "ONE Lumpinee" arena and is the first Thai to perform an important role on the world stage "ONE. " too

Today, June 16, 2023 at approximately 10:00 p.m. Police at Lat Phrao Police Station together with evidence proof police and a forensic doctor at the Police Hospital to investigate the incident, Police Sergeant Watcharin Ratchaniphon or “Pao Pom”, a nickname in the Muaythai industry. died in the room at a condominium in Bangkapi area At the scene near the body found a gun.

Police Colonel Thanaphan Phadungkarn, director of the Lat Phrao Police Station, gave information that there were no traces of fighting in the room where there was a fight, presumably he shot himself and died immediately. Initially found bullet marks shot in the temple while his wife testified that he returned to the room at 10 p.m. after work. Husband has passed away and stated that Husbands are often stressed about work. therefore assuming cause self-harm

As for Police Sergeant Watcharin or "Pao Pom", he has a career as a boxing judge who entered the exam in 2013, which is considered the youngest judge. And is the only Thai referee on the "ONE Lumpinee" stage, as well as the first Thai to perform an important role on the "ONE" global stage.

In addition, "Pao Pom" also has awards that guarantee the ability to act as a boxing committee, for example, the award for the popular director of the Sports Journalists Club of Thailand. /Best Referee Award of the Lumpinee Boxing Stadium and the Outstanding Judge Award of the Sports Authority of Thailand for 2 consecutive years

Cr : Thai PBS Crime News

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

beep by grandpa posted:

conor loving sucks i hope his next cage fight is in a prison cell

How much does Untouchable’s brother weigh?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
GDT for the fights this weeked:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034430

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

kimbo305 posted:

How much does Untouchable’s brother weigh?

no weight divisions in takeshi's castle.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/BellatorMMA/status/1669940509102559237

These are the reasons heavyweight is the most-loved division.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CarlCX posted:

You only see this kind of technical acumen outside your local bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

CarlCX posted:

Next generation Tank?