Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I’m almost finished with Prodigy. Unless it shits the bed in the last three eps, it’s definitely the best paramount+ Trek imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

SNW 2x01 is great! Thanks for reading.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Endless Trash posted:

Luv 2 have well lit scenes for a whole 50 minutes.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Endless Trash posted:

they actually made a drat trek this time

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Mr. Mercury posted:

they actually made a drat trek this time

My favorite part was when they injected Mountain Dew into their veins and beat up 30 Klingons

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I'm disappointed that Spock's thing was some trash tier humour like "I would like the ship move to my requested destination now please" and not big brain Star Trek humour like "Make it go".

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I would have lost my goddamn mind if he said "Make it go". The setup was perfect.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

XYZAB posted:

I would have lost my goddamn mind if he said "Make it go". The setup was perfect.

It was ruined for me because in my lust for more SNW I watched the trailer for this season and it included that moment plus Spock drinking the bloodwine with Klingons

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

I thought it was poo poo, but I'm also in a grumpy mood today

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't like the whole "what's your thing" prompt for catchphrase. They've done it in multiple shows and it just feels forced

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I don't like the whole "what's your thing" prompt for catchphrase. They've done it in multiple shows and it just feels forced

It's just the enshittification of the franchise. Some dumbass marketer did a focus group and found that 26/50 braindead blobs from Peoria recognized "Engage!" as being related to Start Rucks, so now they're pushing writers to bring focus on that one element.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lol, Imagine being mad at star trek for having an inside joke.

Anyway, the episode wasn't great, but it was still okay. SNW still being better than any other live action nuTrek show or movie.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It was never a thing before the new treks. 'Engage' was just the thing all the captains said occasionally since literally the The Cage, Picard just enunciated well and did a neat finger point.

At least Lower Decks got a good gag out of it. And Prodigy used it to set up some pathos, with HoloJaneway echoing Dal's in the season finale.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 16, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MikeJF posted:

It was never a thing before the new treks. 'Engage' was just the thing all the captains said occasionally since literally the The Cage, Picard just enunciated well and did a neat finger point.

It was a thing before new treks. You even identified the thing it was before new treks.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

"What's your thing going to be? Every Captain has got to have a thing! Tell us what your thing will be when you're a Captain!" was absolutely not a thing until recently

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

"What's your thing going to be? Every Captain has got to have a thing! Tell us what your thing will be when you're a Captain!" was absolutely not a thing until recently

People making jokes about the captain's thing has been around for quite a while. There are memes about picard doing the engage point from back when we called them image macros.

Her asking about the captains thing isn't even the first time the joke has been made on camera.

You are correct though in that very specific quotation that is in your quotes was not asked in that exact form with those exact words until this latest episode though. So you get a cookie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
New episode of Strange New Worlds was absolutely banger.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Endless Trash posted:

I enjoyed a lot from season 1, but this first episode of season 2 gave me some concern.

Klingon captain was loving great though. More fun stuff like that please.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 16, 2023

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

What's "your word gonna be" is awkward. I think in Picard it they ask 7 of 9 and they didn't show her saying it which handled it OK I guess.

Spock's response in S2E1 SNW got a chuckle out of me but yeah, maybe they could have not put it all so front and center as calling attention to it kind of explains the joke. Michael saying let's fly in Discovery mirrored the whole show in a way - an overemphasized detail that works so much better when it's subtle. Picard saying engage in TNG was natural and just what he said. Now it's a thing and was a thing when he says it in Picard.

Maybe in SNW they should have waited for Spock to signal them and then he says the line and the crew and give each other looks.

I guess from now on it's always going to be a thing, for better or worse. And everything being obviously setup and overexplained is a trend.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The captain having kind of a catchphrase when ordering the ship to go was a thing. Characters in-universe acknowledging, referencing and enforcing The Captain's Catchphrase like giggling teenagers having fun with their teacher was absolutely not.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Star Wars has "the force" and Star Trek has "the thing" it's fine

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

You know who didn't need a catchphrase?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"TAKE us THERE..." *whips baseball at viewscreen*

"Okay, Sisko, your next command is gonna be a space station..."

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Isn’t it POSSIBLE that we could go to warp.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Mr OBRIEN! take us HOME!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
"sure, i understand that doing a five minute performance which includes dancing, singing, and pantomime each time before we go to warp isn't ideal. but it has to be unique for each captain or else the ensigns won't stop giggling. everything less complex is already taken."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Eventually ships are doing horrible viral dance-off fads with transporter gimmicks and panning through a silly holodeck set-up and poo poo

BECAUSE I'M HAPPY

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Riker doing a knee-slide: DON'T BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

"Course plotted and laid in. Awaiting your command, Captain."
"Snoochie boochies!"
*muttering under breath to Ops officer* "Every time. Every loving time. Just because his first name happens to be Jay. And the drat XO doesn't even go by Bob, he's always been Robert--"
"What was that, Ensign?"
"Nothing sir." *pushes buttons* "Showing warp five, sir."
"Snoogans."

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Another Bill posted:

You know who didn't need a catchphrase?

Sisko doesn't have a catchphrase for going to warp, but every time they come out, he reflexively shouts "SAFE!" and makes the umpire signal

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

I'm wondering if Riker says engage when he's in the captain's chair, can't recall.

Watching TNG S1 for the first time recently was eye opening on just how awkward it started. Also too bad about Tasha Yar. It would have been cool to see the character grow with the show. They put her in some super weird stuff while she was there and Crosby rolled with it.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Troi took so long trying to figure out her phrase that the saucer section crashed waiting for the command to go to warp.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Brawnfire posted:

"TAKE us THERE..." *whips baseball at viewscreen*

"Okay, Sisko, your next command is gonna be a space station..."

lol

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

CaptainSkinny posted:

Troi took so long trying to figure out her phrase that the saucer section crashed waiting for the command to go to warp.

"I sense we're about to go really fast!"

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I just looked up what her phrase would be

TROI: Then do it. That's an order.

This is the phrase that sent Geordi to his death.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Another Bill posted:

"I sense we're about to go really fast!"

I sense the need. The need for speed!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Honestly the new SNW episode could have been a two parter or a little longer. It resolves very quickly.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Honestly the new SNW episode could have been a two parter or a little longer. It resolves very quickly.

Part one is the same episode and then part 2 is just a long extended drinking party scene

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Big rear end On Fire posted:

I'm wondering if Riker says engage when he's in the captain's chair, can't recall.

He says "give me warp in the factor of 5, 6, 7, 8!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

The 'Stealing the Enterprise' subplot was unnecessary and seemingly didn't leave the mining camp plot enough time to develop.

I suspect they had some things they wanted to achieve from the episode - Spock having a dilemma of choosing between his duty and Chapel, introducing Pelia - developed concepts for each, and worked backwards from there.