Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

CelticPredator posted:

This movie is a canon event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

If only there was some substance that could harm Zod. Oh well, guess your world is doomedbye

The only Kryptonite was in the possession of Lex/Batman and I don't think either of them told Barry where it was or what it even did at that point.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’m curious what WB’s takeaways and wrong lessons will be after this assuming it flops.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X0xlyfwtko

Gatts posted:

I’m curious what WB’s takeaways and wrong lessons will be after this assuming it flops.
Not enough Dwayne Johnson

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Maybe it's a calculated move by Gunn to get rid of some more middle management / people who stick their fingers in the pie - sort of a "I'll release it as you intended, even hype it up, but if it flops (and it will) them I want these guys out."

It would have been in the final stages of production when he came on board anyway.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Goffer posted:

Maybe it's a calculated move by Gunn to get rid of some more middle management / people who stick their fingers in the pie - sort of a "I'll release it as you intended, even hype it up, but if it flops (and it will) them I want these guys out."

It would have been in the final stages of production when he came on board anyway.

lol this is like Obama doing 12 dimensional chess theorizing

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Fangz posted:

Yeah that's what I thought. There's a fair amount of time travel stories that boil down to "time travel is bad, preserve the timeline". (See back to the future , star trek, primer, timecop etc)

What on Earth? Back to the Future is not about preserving a timeline. George McFly ends up a cool 80s guy, Doc is saved from being murdered, Marty's kids are kept out of prison, Claire is saved from falling to her death. If you're talking about the "I have to make my parents meet" aspect: that is purely in the first movie and driven by the fact that Marty will cease to exist if they don't, and the fact that their meeting circumstances completely change is barely even noticed by Marty, who doesn't care about changing or preserving anything and is the ultimate pragmatist. Same with "stop Evil Biff" - his dad is murdered and Hill Valley is a dump so he has to stop that. Preserving the "original" Hill Valley isn't even on his radar.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 16, 2023

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

What on Earth? Back to the Future is not about preserving a timeline. George McFly ends up a cool 80s guy, Doc is saved from being murdered, Marty's kids are kept out of prison, Claire is saved from falling to her death. If you're talking about the "I have to make my parents meet" aspect: that is purely in the first movie and driven by the fact that Marty will cease to exist if they don't, and the fact that their meeting circumstances completely change is barely even noticed by Marty, who doesn't care about changing or preserving anything and is the ultimate pragmatist. Same with "stop Evil Biff" - his dad is murdered and Hill Valley is a dump so he has to stop that. Preserving the "original" Hill Valley isn't even on his radar.

The 1st is about this until the end when Marty's minor changes worked out better for his family and Doc went against his own rules. Outside of the very end, the bulk of the movie was about preserving with an end twist that he made everything better by accident.

2 and 3 then just ran with it after they learned positive lessons from the first and they both became make the timeline better bandits.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lmao that WB's gotta go through this again when Aquaman 2 comes down the pipe

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Goffer posted:

Straight up I think it was like hey you’re gonna take over this, but we spent an ungodly amount of money on this poo poo so hype it up thanks because we’re your bosses

Or maybe he likes Andy muscetti idk. I love the first It so I’m hoping his Batman movie might go back to that, instead of chapter 2 but we’ll seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

When did he come on board though?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Straight up I think it was like hey you’re gonna take over this, but we spent an ungodly amount of money on this poo poo so hype it up thanks because we’re your bosses

Or maybe he likes Andy muscetti idk. I love the first It so I’m hoping his Batman movie might go back to that, instead of chapter 2 but we’ll seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Yea nobody who works for anything in this kind of capacity is really going to go out of your way to be like "yeah this thing is poo poo", and in fact part of the job is marketing and talking up your product sooooo

Occasionally you get someone like Harrison Ford who is both a big enough celebrity and also has a specific reputation so can rattle off the occasional "who gives a poo poo if Yoda can shoot lightning?" or whatever, but even then he's not going out of his way to be honest and forthright about RoS being a stinker

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Even Mark Hamill caught flack from Disney for talking mad poo poo on the sequels. But they won’t shitcan him because he’s like Mr. Star Wars.

Someone like Shia on the other hand got dropped hard after he just talked some poo poo about crystal skull and then his life just fell apart after that and he became a badman.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Darko posted:

Zod is the giant issue; without Superman there to inspire the rest of the planet and then break Zods neck, that earth is completely destroyed. There's just no one around that can stop Zod and Faora and Nam Ek and all of the rest of the Kryptonians without the general making Faora horny and distracting her, destroying the army, and Superman destroying the world engine and killing Zod. It's all messed up from the jump.
I haven’t seen the movie yet, but this paragraph stood out at me.

In Man of Steel, it’s Superman activating the old Kryptonian ship that brings Zod to Earth, right?

So if Superman isn’t on Earth in this timeline, why does Zod even show up at all? Does Supergirl activate the ship instead or something?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

GazChap posted:

In Man of Steel, it’s Superman activating the old Kryptonian ship that brings Zod to Earth, right?

So if Superman isn’t on Earth in this timeline, why does Zod even show up at all? Does Supergirl activate the ship instead or something?

It's like you don't understand spaghetti at all. Spaghetti!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CelticPredator posted:

This movie is a canon event

Sounds more like this movie is a Cannon event.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Oh my god, they had a george reeves cameo as well?

https://twitter.com/Lunwi88/status/1669752698835714048?s=20

Necrothatcher posted:

All the best superhero movies wrap up with the hero giving up and loving off.

Patty Jenkins agrees!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Darko posted:

The 1st is about this until the end when Marty's minor changes worked out better for his family and Doc went against his own rules. Outside of the very end, the bulk of the movie was about preserving with an end twist that he made everything better by accident.

2 and 3 then just ran with it after they learned positive lessons from the first and they both became make the timeline better bandits.

Yeah the first movie is pretty much what I'm thinking of. There's small degrees of it in the others. I guess there's kind of a moral that selfish or reckless use of time travel to change stuff is bad? Doc has his time train in the end but presumably he's using it to have fun adventures instead of going back to make an timeline where he is God or something.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

Sounds more like this movie is a Cannon event.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Once you figure out where 'beev' comes from the more the movie makes sense.

Actually what would have been better is if the cool word in his universe was 'fetch'.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 16, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

McCloud posted:

Oh my god, they had a george reeves cameo as well?

https://twitter.com/Lunwi88/status/1669752698835714048?s=20

My father stoutly maintains that George Reeves wasn't "pushed to suicide" but was "killed by the mob."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Blackchamber posted:

It's like you don't understand spaghetti at all. Spaghetti!

The plot of Flash all boils down to "mom's spaghetti." Which makes sense.

Look. If you had one shot, or one opportunity to seize everything you ever wanted -- one moment -- would you capture it or just let it slip?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t know about everyone else but I’m sure it’s all fairly mediocre so I can’t wait to watch it when it streams a week after release.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

GazChap posted:

The whole thing doesn't make sense. Barry is clearly younger than Superman, so why would moving a can of tomatoes when he's ~7 (at which point Kal-el would've already been in Smallville) change anything related to whether Kal-el reaches Earth or not? If the whole thing is just jumping timelines shouldn't there be a version out there where his mom lives and Kal-el reaches earth? If Kal-el isn't on Earth then why does Zod show up there or even care about the planet?

I get that the conceit is meant to be time travel and Barry loving things up and then learning to accept that he can't just do over everything until he gets his way but they didn't even manage any internal consistency on those things. And the movie likes like poo poo to boot.

I do wonder what tracking on box office is looking like right now. Hard to imagine people lining up for this but then again it is a holiday weekend and cape poo poo is a lot of people's idea of entertainment comfort food at this point.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Maybe when he steals the can of tomatoes he accidentally whips them through time and space and beans Superbaby's spaceship with them

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
And wonder woman is like 5000 years old or whatever so where'd she go? Apparently time travel spaghetti is mostly concerned with superheroes and which Hollywood people were in which blockbuster movies whilst the rest of the world remains completely unchanged. Which suggests those things aren't very important, maybe that's subtext.

Also, how come Supergirl can punch through an exploding missile but be killed by being stabbed by like a letter opener?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The timeline doesn't branch in the movie, it fulcrums and the timeline changes backwards as well as forwards. Don't know why that makes Bruce Wayne look different in each tilt and everyone else looks the same, but that's what it claims. So annoying as it is trying to pick apart the logic of why some people and events that shouldn't change in other explanations of time travel are worthless. Either go with the in-universe explanation or let your mind implode.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

GazChap posted:

Yes that's what happens because it shifts who has the Macguffin. And Russia doesn't give her up and the US is like "we have no idea where this alien is" so Zod apparently immediately kills all the brass in MoS in a scene that reminds me of the scene in Mars Attacks! where the Martians just blast everyone meeting them and starts open war on earth.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

The whole thing doesn't make sense. Barry is clearly younger than Superman, so why would moving a can of tomatoes when he's ~7 (at which point Kal-el would've already been in Smallville) change anything related to whether Kal-el reaches Earth or not? If the whole thing is just jumping timelines shouldn't there be a version out there where his mom lives and Kal-el reaches earth? If Kal-el isn't on Earth then why does Zod show up there or even care about the planet?

I get that the conceit is meant to be time travel and Barry loving things up and then learning to accept that he can't just do over everything until he gets his way but they didn't even manage any internal consistency on those things. And the movie likes like poo poo to boot.

I do wonder what tracking on box office is looking like right now. Hard to imagine people lining up for this but then again it is a holiday weekend and cape poo poo is a lot of people's idea of entertainment comfort food at this point.

Comic book logic. In the comic I think they explain it like ripples in a pond, changing something radiates effects outwards in every direction.

The entire point of Flashpoint was to give an in-story reason for rebooting the comics with new continuities and backstories and starting over because the canon was apparently becoming too complicated (even though worrying about canon is the worst way to read a story.) But then nobody liked it so they rebooted again, but this time the in-story reason was Dr Manhattan was screwing with the universe. So look forward to that in movie form in ten years, I guess.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

GazChap posted:

They never say. Here's the sequence of events:

Superman zaps his way to the ship.
Superman enters the ship.
Superman places the key into the ship.
Lois gets to the ship and starts taking pictures of a security drone.
Drone activates, Superman crushes it, etc.

To me, the only logical two answers are "Superman enters the ship" or "Drone activates". Either way, it's inevitable that the ship was going to activate when someone went poking around, and the humans had already discovered it and would have, eventually, tunneled to it.

This still makes no sense in the Flash movie.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Also, how come Supergirl can punch through an exploding missile but be killed by being stabbed by like a letter opener?

The letter opener is Kryptonian. Same reason why Young Barry starting letting himself get stabbed by Kryptonian junk, because he actually managed to kill one with the blade in his arm.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They never say. Here's the sequence of events:

Superman zaps his way to the ship.
Superman enters the ship.
Superman places the key into the ship.
Lois gets to the ship and starts taking pictures of a security drone.
Drone activates, Superman crushes it, etc.

To me, the only logical two answers are "Superman enters the ship" or "Drone activates". Either way, it's inevitable that the ship was going to activate when someone went poking around, and the humans had already discovered it and would have, eventually, tunneled to it.

This still makes no sense in the Flash movie.

In the new timeline they capture Superman's pod and are able to use its guidance information to determine Kara's destination since they were headed to the same place and they headed for earth.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Pirate Jet posted:

The letter opener is Kryptonian. Same reason why Young Barry starting letting himself get stabbed by Kryptonian junk, because he actually managed to kill one with the blade in his arm.

Except! While they should be normal on Krypton, the Earth’s sun should make them super powered and even more resistant to kryptonian knives otherwise they’d have already been invulnerable on Krypton on the same scale. Kryptonite is irradiated so it’s special.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Pirate Jet posted:

So by this logic all the Barrys had to do was pick up a bunch of Kryptonian scrap from the battlefield and run around stabbing the other Kryptonians who can't react as quickly? Or go back in time with a bunch of it and let Bruce make weapons out of it? Or, if they can't take stuff back in time that isn't attached to them/embedded in their body, just salvage Kara's space pod from the Russian facility and turn it into an anti-Kryptonian missle?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Mat Cauthon posted:

So by this logic all the Barrys had to do was pick up a bunch of Kryptonian scrap from the battlefield and run around stabbing the other Kryptonians who can't react as quickly? Or go back in time with a bunch of it and let Bruce make weapons out of it? Or, if they can't take stuff back in time that isn't attached to them/embedded in their body, just salvage Kara's space pod from the Russian facility and turn it into an anti-Kryptonian missle?

I mean I don’t know, maybe, kind of right after OG Barry does the “we have to let it go” spiel and then Dark Flash comes in and the sequence wraps up. It’s not a good movie!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Mat Cauthon posted:

Nope. Because there are some events that always happen no matter how you change things. Which was the point and why Barry 'fixes' things.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The problem with telling any story with the Flash is that time travel stories are messy. Multiverse stories are equally messy. As soon as you try to do multiverse stories with time travel, everything rapidly falls apart under the slightest hint of scrutiny.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Maybe it’s just a bad movie with subpar writing and thought put into it

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

That it is. But it also got my favorite childhood Batman to put on the costume and say the lines I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gatts posted:

Maybe it’s just a bad movie with subpar writing and thought put into it

It is but people are trying to point out plotholes strictly from what they've hears. Some things are stupid, some things operate on weird in movie logic that is explained but doesn't make sense , and some things are explained in the movie and are fine. It's a highly mediocre and often ugly movie, basically.