Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

ArmZ posted:

europeans are not uniquely evil. there examples of this kind of human behavior across all of history. humans are humans.

the Atlantic slave trade was actually pretty unique in that enslaved people were considered explicitly to not be human beings in cultural or legal terms

slavery has been practiced worldwide but stuff like the organized breeding of slaves as farm stock, slavehood being inherited by descendants without any limitations and the several legal, religious and scientific arguments against enslaved people possessing personhood or capacity for agency & human intellect are all unique to the atlantic slave trade

i dont think thats because europeans are uniquely capable of evil but the portrayal of american/caribbean chattel slavery as being some totally common thing thats happened around the globe all across history bugs me

it shifts the responsibility from the institutions that created and propagated the practice towards 'well y'know european slavers bought slaves from african/arab slavers(who didn't practice chattel slavery)' arguments and trivializes how uniquely cruel and unprecedented the atlantic slave trade was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

FirstnameLastname posted:

the Atlantic slave trade was actually pretty unique in that enslaved people were considered explicitly to not be human beings in cultural or legal terms

slavery has been practiced worldwide but stuff like the organized breeding of slaves as farm stock, slavehood being inherited by descendants without any limitations and the several legal, religious and scientific arguments against enslaved people possessing personhood or capacity for agency & human intellect are all unique to the atlantic slave trade

i dont think thats because europeans are uniquely capable of evil but the portrayal of american/caribbean chattel slavery as being some totally common thing thats happened around the globe all across history bugs me

it shifts the responsibility from the institutions that created and propagated the practice towards 'well y'know european slavers bought slaves from african/arab slavers(who didn't practice chattel slavery)' arguments and trivializes how uniquely cruel and unprecedented the atlantic slave trade was
that europe was in a position to do it, and have it be in the material interest of the ruling class to go to those lengths, doesn't have anything to do with europeans in particular though. germans aren't uniquely evil for birthing nazi germany, even if nazi germany was a unique evil.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Slaves being worked to death in the salt mines of Basra: "Thank god we aren't chattel, that would be awful."

Also,

Wikipedia posted:

In the Muslim culture of the middle ages blackness became increasingly identified with slavery.[32] This was justified by appeals to a specific interpretation of the biblical story of Curse of Ham that posited Ham had been cursed by Noah in two ways, the first, the turning of his skin black, and the second, that his descendants would be doomed to slavery.[32] Muslim slave traders would use this as a pretext to enslave blacks, including black Muslims.[32] In the late 14th century a black king of Bornu wrote a letter to the sultan of Egypt complaining of the continual slave raids perpetrated by Arab tribesmen, which were devastating his lands and resulting in the mass enslavement of the black Muslim population of the region.[33] In Al-Andalus, the area of medieval Iberia under Islamic control, black Muslims could be legally held as slaves.[34] This all occurred despite the orthodox Muslim jurist position that no Muslim, regardless of race, could be enslaved.[27] Even as late as the 19th century many of the common people in Islamic society still believed that enslavement based on skin color, rather than based on religion, was approved by the religious laws of Islam.[32]

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
In a sense, muslims were the original white people

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

A Buttery Pastry posted:

that europe was in a position to do it, and have it be in the material interest of the ruling class to go to those lengths, doesn't have anything to do with europeans in particular though. germans aren't uniquely evil for birthing nazi germany, even if nazi germany was a unique evil.

i wasn't saying it did, i said the opposite of that

i was only saying the atlantic slave trade or something like it isn't something there's examples of across history like the person i was replying to was saying. like, slavery's bad, ill be brave enough to say that much, but the atlantic slave trade was wayyy more than just the slavery and slave-trading and those parts just aren't shared by other practices
i don't think it's because Europeans are uniquely evil or anything lol, it's because there were people who had a motive to do it at a time they could do it, while there weren't enough people with enough motive and/or ability to stop it until way later, just like every other great historical evil i can think of

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

christmas boots posted:

In a sense, muslims were the original white people

according to the state department, arabs are white

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

i wasn't saying it did, i said the opposite of that

i was only saying the atlantic slave trade or something like it isn't something there's examples of across history like the person i was replying to was saying. like, slavery's bad, ill be brave enough to say that much, but the atlantic slave trade was wayyy more than just the slavery and slave-trading and those parts just aren't shared by other practices
i don't think it's because Europeans are uniquely evil or anything lol, it's because there were people who had a motive to do it at a time they could do it, while there weren't enough people with enough motive and/or ability to stop it until way later, just like every other great historical evil i can think of

I quoted part of this earlier but clearly you need to read the whole thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Saharan_slave_trade

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The transatlantic slave trade I think is just especially notable because of its ongoing influence and repercussions that perhaps wildly outlast its strict material consequences, half a country basically building its entire identity around it and going to war to preserve it, and even managing to do so partly after losing. Basically the entire US is still hard in the mindset of blacks as slaves and whites as slaveowners, specifically.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Slavery in Brazil and its legacy is no joke either.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
we should unironically do this

https://twitter.com/JamesDuddridge/status/1669285798301122563?s=20

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Cerebral Bore posted:

buddy, like half the chinese economy is made up of directly state-owned enterprises and the other half is eminently commandable whenever the government decides to

It's about a quarter SOEs actually.

https://www.lowyinstitute.org/the-interpreter/has-china-given-state-owned-enterprise-reform

America's government spending as a percentage of GDP is 42%, China's is 33%.

https://www.imf.org/external/datamapper/exp@FPP/USA/FRA/SWE/ITA/ZAF/IND/CHN

The question is not does China have a commandable economy but does it have a command economy. The answer is no, it has a mixed economy, more of a market economy in pure terms than America.

As I said, it's more about how it exercises that control than the raw amount of it.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Eeeeeh I feel like US government spending as a percentage has to be taken with a grain of salt because so much of it is tied in with the MIC compared to anywhere else. What's the non MIC percentage?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

african/arab slavers(who didn't practice chattel slavery)

Chattel slavery just means one person owns another. This can be contrasted with other types of slavery such as when people are owned by a polity or other collective or serfdom where people are bound to the land. I'm no expert on the subject but I understand at least arab slave traders practiced chattel slavery.
The American example is unique in other ways, some of which you have correctly identified, but mainly I understand for it's intersection with capitalism.

Weka
May 5, 2019

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Eeeeeh I feel like US government spending as a percentage has to be taken with a grain of salt because so much of it is tied in with the MIC compared to anywhere else. What's the non MIC percentage?

Why do you think military spending doesn't count? It's the classic type of command spending! We're not trying to measure benefits provided to citizens, just how much the flow of resources in the economy is directed by the government.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MRacMC/status/1669175866285494273?t=-nNEFKxn2vr3IiR9BUArRg&s=19

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Weka posted:

It's about a quarter SOEs actually.

https://www.lowyinstitute.org/the-interpreter/has-china-given-state-owned-enterprise-reform

America's government spending as a percentage of GDP is 42%, China's is 33%.

https://www.imf.org/external/datamapper/exp@FPP/USA/FRA/SWE/ITA/ZAF/IND/CHN

The question is not does China have a commandable economy but does it have a command economy. The answer is no, it has a mixed economy, more of a market economy in pure terms than America.

As I said, it's more about how it exercises that control than the raw amount of it.

You're not wrong about the mixed nature of both economies, but I think you're understating the qualitative difference, which is more important than the raw numbers. The Alibaba Group is a private firm that presumably doesn't count in China's 33%, the same way Amazon is a private firm that doesn't count in the US's 42%, but the Chinese government has a far higher level of control over Alibaba than the US government has over Amazon. In fact, Amazon probably has more control over the US government than vice versa.

Similarly, the qualitative difference matters in what those government spending percentages convey. Take as a random example, military production and procurement of fifth-generation fighter aircraft. The US and China both spend big money on this, adding to those percentages of government GDP spending. In the US, spending on the F-35 goes to Lockheed Martin, a private corporation responsible for 10% of all Pentagon spending, which then turns around and funnels significant amounts of that money back into lobbying. In China, spending on the J-20 goes to the Chengdu Aerospace Corporation, a subsidiary of the Aviation Industry Corporation of China, which is a state-owned company. Spending on both planes contributes to the percentage of government spending in the economy, but they reflect very different things. Government spending at a state-owned firm is very different from government spending at Lockheed Martin, but in the raw numbers for government spending as a share of GDP there's no distinction between the two.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

A better distinction might be government and state-owned company payrolls? The rest of government spending is just money flowing into private businesses.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

vyelkin posted:

You're not wrong about the mixed nature of both economies, but I think you're understating the qualitative difference, which is more important than the raw numbers. The Alibaba Group is a private firm that presumably doesn't count in China's 33%, the same way Amazon is a private firm that doesn't count in the US's 42%, but the Chinese government has a far higher level of control over Alibaba than the US government has over Amazon. In fact, Amazon probably has more control over the US government than vice versa.

Similarly, the qualitative difference matters in what those government spending percentages convey. Take as a random example, military production and procurement of fifth-generation fighter aircraft. The US and China both spend big money on this, adding to those percentages of government GDP spending. In the US, spending on the F-35 goes to Lockheed Martin, a private corporation responsible for 10% of all Pentagon spending, which then turns around and funnels significant amounts of that money back into lobbying. In China, spending on the J-20 goes to the Chengdu Aerospace Corporation, a subsidiary of the Aviation Industry Corporation of China, which is a state-owned company. Spending on both planes contributes to the percentage of government spending in the economy, but they reflect very different things. Government spending at a state-owned firm is very different from government spending at Lockheed Martin, but in the raw numbers for government spending as a share of GDP there's no distinction between the two.

this is a good post imo

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
No, Amazon does not have more control over the US government than vice versa. Come on.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Quotey posted:

No, Amazon does not have more control over the US government than vice versa. Come on.

If this were the case, amazon would pay any of their 90 billion dollars in back taxes. but they don't, do they? The weak serve the strong.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

bedpan posted:

according to the state department, arabs are white

every goddamn time I think I’ve found a piping hot take the loving us government has me beat

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Weka posted:

Chattel slavery just means one person owns another. This can be contrasted with other types of slavery such as when people are owned by a polity or other collective or serfdom where people are bound to the land. I'm no expert on the subject but I understand at least arab slave traders practiced chattel slavery.
The American example is unique in other ways, some of which you have correctly identified, but mainly I understand for it's intersection with capitalism.

whoops i typed that just thinking subsaharan when i typed that my b, north african and arab slavers deffo practiced chattel slavery

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
China's economy is communist because I said so

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
talk about a commanded economy!!!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

christmas boots posted:

every goddamn time I think I’ve found a piping hot take the loving us government has me beat
what's the hot take? are you saying they (and thus jesus) are chinese-mongolian?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

A Buttery Pastry posted:

what's the hot take? are you saying they (and thus jesus) are chinese-mongolian?

That Muslims were the original white people but nevermind all I want to hear more about Mongolian Jesus

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
come to think of it jesus' younger brother was chinese, so i guess there's something to that theory

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
The roots of Japan were ancient Israel

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

christmas boots posted:

That Muslims were the original white people but nevermind all I want to hear more about Mongolian Jesus
he's a fictional construct made up to showcase the absurdity of claiming an LA cop wasn't white because he was syrian.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Cerebral Bore posted:

come to think of it jesus' younger brother was chinese, so i guess there's something to that theory

we stan a Qing

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
i mean technically the exact opposite but w/e

Weka
May 5, 2019

vyelkin posted:

Government spending at a state-owned firm is very different from government spending at Lockheed Martin, but in the raw numbers for government spending as a share of GDP there's no distinction between the two.

I don't think this is really true. If Lockheed Martin were a SOE it would function in a very similar manner, that's largely the point of SOEs, to use the competitive advantages offered by the traditional capitalist business model. There are usually more limitations to the actions available to a government owned company but it is still a fairly similar working process.
It's as you say, the control it exercises over businesses, Alibaba has a party committee and government employees embedded within it. It seems to me as an outside observer that this control is more often negative than positive. Eg Ant group can't do it's micro loans business. There might come a directive to increase poverty reduction measures but how that's done is left up to the business. Of course there are many instances of positive control too.
I don't really see this as a traditional command economy, which is a brute force method of establishing socialism. It's more of a light touch, course corrections where neccessary method.
I'm just some idiot on the internet though but that's my hot take.

tokin opposition posted:

China's economy is communist because I said so

I guess you disagree with the CPC then.

whoops i typed that just thinking subsaharan when i typed that my b, north african and arab slavers deffo practiced chattel slavery

Do you know what, uh, ownership structure was used in the sub-saharan slavery feeding in to the trans Atlantic trade?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I command you all to shut up about economies!!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

christmas boots posted:

we stan a Qing

a Qing of Qings even

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Weka posted:

Do you know what, uh, ownership structure was used in the sub-saharan slavery feeding in to the trans Atlantic trade?

lol i almost added a clause abt the coastal kingdoms and tribes that intersected directly with the transatlantic route since well, they were the hookups raiding inland and capturing slaves
but afaik only started doing that stuff when Portuguese sailors started coming thru trying to steal people tho and before that weren't practicing chattel slavery as their own thing
im not an expert on it or anything tho

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

christmas boots posted:

i mean technically the exact opposite but w/e

tired: stan a ming

wired: stan a qing

inspired: stan a taiping

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/huunnahh/status/1670136272940314624?t=jVcBq_x-WIzHSJbXsqIgtA&s=19

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Community is a 2.5-kid WASP family cowering in a split-level suburban "castle" shotgun-blasting the front door at any unexpected knock.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://twitter.com/Justinhead1982/status/1670580514464452609?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
As many already pointed out, I love that Northern Ireland just dissolves or is immediately assimilated into Belgorod or wherever.

For a bit of context, the neolib dickheads currently in charge in Ireland are pushing hard to try to reverse Ireland policy of neutrality and join up to NATO, and are taking legal advice that they can do so without consulting the public despite recent precedents to the contrary. Our much cooler President recently came out hard against this, so now it's poo poo flinging warmongering time