Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

The problem comes from elected Democrats promising no new taxes for "middle-class" Americans making (eta: up to) $400,000/year, aka the top 1 percent of earners.

I agree Willa. I mean the bigger problem is the GOP cutting rich peoples taxes when they can and blocking any attempts to raise taxes.

But yes that needs to change. It’s time to tax rich people. I mean we should primarily target the 0.1%. I think if the rate hikes continue to not work on inflation, they’re going to start reaching that conclusion. I mean even Larry Summers is starting to say tax the rich.

They’ll drag it out as long as they can of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I highly recommend going through this Twitter thread of excerpts from the DOJ investigation of the Minneapolis PD. Unfortunately it’s just a microcosm of policing in America today.

https://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/1669749466352562183?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Willa Rogers posted:

The problem comes from elected Democrats promising no new taxes for "middle-class" Americans making (eta: up to) $400,000/year, aka the top 1 percent of earners.
Yeah, I can't imagine that having a donut hole from 160k-400k would raise that much.

But apparently if you just lifted the cap, with no donut hole, it would be enough to keep SS solvent through 2046. Which is pretty close to "solving the problem."

In 2046 that millennial bump will only be ~44-60 and years from collecting benefits, and Boomer ages will vary from 80 to 100 or so and their percentage of the population will be falling pretty fast. So if we can punt for 25 years we'll may have gotten past most of the solvency issue. (Especially if we ever let people who desperately want to work here and pay our payroll taxes do so instead of excluding them out of myopic xenophobia.)

160k is genuinely not a lot of money with today's dollar, especially in pricier locales, so that tax increase would legitimately hurt some people.* Of course, there are other ways we can use the tax code or fiscal policy to offset that. =I have to imagine the benefit of the new taxes declines fairly rapidly when you put in a donut hole or start increasing the size, because a lot more people make, say, $180k than $220, so if we did do any kind of donut hole it would only be a partial solution.

* Maybe, so it doesn't affect any existing actually-middle-class household budgets, you could maybe grandfather in anybody currently making 160-400k, but when people reach that bracket afterwards you keep charging the tax, and it's just the rate they're already accustomed to.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

But yes that needs to change. It’s time to tax rich people. I mean we should primarily target the 0.1%. I think if the rate hikes continue to not work on inflation, they’re going to start reaching that conclusion. I mean even Larry Summers is starting to say tax the rich.

The numbers are absolutely stunning, especially if you look at the 0.01% - which is barely 20,000 people. Their collective wealth is over 6 trillion dollars. And outside of like, Aaron Judge, literally nobody would give a poo poo if all those people disappeared tomorrow; they're not actually economically useful in any way. The rest of the top 0.1% has over 7 trillion. 13 trillion in wealth for, basically, the population of Scottsdale, Arizona.

And if that's not enough, those numbers are for 2015, before the Trump tax cuts and the pandemic, which both created gigantic windfalls for all those people, and we've had eight more years of the wealth-concentrating force of the "invisible hand" wreaking its ever-accelerating havoc.

"You can't fix the deficit by just taxing the rich" was something people said 20-30 years ago, and it was true, but they've gotten so insanely loving rich that it's really not anymore. That said, refusing to raise taxes on any non-rich person ever isn't a good thing, because "fixing the deficit" isn't a goal unto itself unless you're Pete Peterson or Larry Summers. If the government wanted to provide new universal services like UBI or single payer healthcare it would have to raise taxes on a broader cross section of the population (albeit while giving most of them more back in new benefits.)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
You wouldn't need to raise taxes for anyone under 250k if the wealthy actually paid what they owe (we should have a wealth cap in addition to high tax rates for income between 400k and whatever the wealth cap is).

I realize I might as well ask for a unicorn, should vs would and will be I suppose.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

cat botherer posted:

Jared was the dumbest person in the Trump admin, which was quite the achievement.

I have a hard time seeing that. "Dumbest" would probably have to go to one of the numerous people who thought they'd be able to rein Trump in and profit from his popularity while maintaining some level of control over him, only to get thrown under the bus with absolutely zero loyalty or support from Trump. There were plenty inside his administration. Or maybe the people like Kellyanne Conway who signed up to be his interface with the press, the public faces of the Trump administration.

Kushner stayed behind the scenes, where he grifted the hell out of the Trump administration, took petty revenge on a family enemy, got his dad pardoned, and then got the gently caress out of politics basically the instant Trump lost the election and was no longer immediately useful to him. I don't think any of that indicates brilliance, but there were a ton of people who weren't even smart enough to do that. Neither Kushner nor Eric can be crowned "dumbest" when the likes of Giuliani and Meadows were around.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Main Paineframe posted:

I have a hard time seeing that. "Dumbest" would probably have to go to one of the numerous people who thought they'd be able to rein Trump in and profit from his popularity while maintaining some level of control over him, only to get thrown under the bus with absolutely zero loyalty or support from Trump. There were plenty inside his administration. Or maybe the people like Kellyanne Conway who signed up to be his interface with the press, the public faces of the Trump administration.

Kushner stayed behind the scenes, where he grifted the hell out of the Trump administration, took petty revenge on a family enemy, got his dad pardoned, and then got the gently caress out of politics basically the instant Trump lost the election and was no longer immediately useful to him. I don't think any of that indicates brilliance, but there were a ton of people who weren't even smart enough to do that. Neither Kushner nor Eric can be crowned "dumbest" when the likes of Giuliani and Meadows were around.
Crap how did I forget about Giuliani? Nothing will ever top Four Seasons Total Landscaping.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I agree Willa. I mean the bigger problem is the GOP cutting rich peoples taxes when they can and blocking any attempts to raise taxes.

I disagree; I think "the bigger problem[s]" are that Democrats have bought into the neoliberal tropes about taxes being bad, and that "rich people" are narrowly defined as those within the top 1 percent of income brackets.

I've watched this dance over several decades: Republicans slash taxes across all income groups, then Democrats kinda-sorta-maybe restore taxes for the top 1 percent, but usually to not what they were before they were slashed.

Rinse & repeat so nobody ever is paying more taxes than they were 10 years ago, with a few exceptions for stuff like the tax for not carrying health insurance that Obama imposed, or for richies in blue states who lost their SALT deductions under Trump.

eta: I also disagree that "we should primarily target the 0.1%"; that's exactly the dynamic that feeds into the trope that only the richest of the richest need to pay more taxes when I believe that those far less richer than that should pay more in taxes, too.

Having worked with richies for the last three decades I feel secure in stating that they know how to shield their money from taxes, and fortunately for them, the people who make the tax laws that allow richies to evade taxation are richies themselves, too.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 16, 2023

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Professor Beetus posted:

You wouldn't need to raise taxes for anyone under 250k if the wealthy actually paid what they owe (we should have a wealth cap in addition to high tax rates for income between 400k and whatever the wealth cap is.
That's true in general, but not for Social Security which statutorily has to be paid either by payroll taxes or the trust fund. So in that case, it's not the rich not paying what they owe, it's just the rich owing almost nothing relative to a regular person. Of course, Congress can undo that any time they want and start pouring general funds into SS.

But yeah, if you look at those wealth figures it becomes pretty clear that the entire national debt is just money that was transferred from the public to the absolute wealthiest people, people with a thousandfold more dollars than anybody could possibly ever need. The debt doesn't reflect any actual dysfunction in government spending, it reflects that bullshit.

The treasury estimate is $163 billion evaded by the top 1%, but that's clearly a huge undercount when you consider it's only counting current law and not no-duh-obvious policies like taxing unrealized capital gains or ten-figure wealth.

It'll be interesting to see how much the new IRS funding raises. Biden and the Dems underplayed how much money the IRA would end up spending - maybe they're doing something similar by underplaying how much IRS enforcement will really raise. It's not going to "fix everything" without actual changes to the tax code but it's a hell of a start.

Professor Beetus posted:

You wouldn't need to raise taxes for anyone under 250k if the wealthy actually paid what they owe (we should have a wealth cap in addition to high tax rates for income between 400k and whatever the wealth cap is).

I realize I might as well ask for a unicorn, should vs would and will be I suppose.
A wealth cap would be an absolutely amazing policy - it wouldn't actually raise much in revenue, but it would just completely change the entire structure of the economy. Companies would actually invest in themselves and their workers instead of letting the C-suite build ever bigger piles of cash, because otherwise they'd just be handing it over to Uncle Sam. A wealth cap was basically the effect of the 90% post-WW2 top tax brackets and look what it fuckin' did for our economy.

My Swiftian proposal is that every year, we sacrifice the 100 richest people in the country to the Money God. That fifteenth yacht wouldn't quite be worth it anymore, would it? :smug:

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 16, 2023

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
This is what happens when you use ChatGPT trained on Ted Cruz's brain to make a anti-democratic party slam.

https://news.yahoo.com/ted-cruz-mercilessly-mocked-bizarre-054803811.html

(oh, wait.. he actually said this?)

“I don’t think Senate Democrats, if you had video of Joe Biden murdering children dressed as the devil under a full moon while singing Pat Benatar, they still wouldn’t vote to convict.”

see. I have some honest questions to go with my laughter that Pat Benatar is apparently considered satanic.

Does this video involve Joe Biden, dressed as the devil, murdering children while singing Pat Benatar?

Or..

Does this video involved Joe Biden murdering children dressed as the devil who are Singing Pat Benatar.

Because I think my impeachment vote would change if the children were dressed as the devil while say, singing "Hit me with your best shot". Clear grounds for provocation.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mellow Seas posted:

That's true in general, but not for Social Security which statutorily has to be paid either by payroll taxes or the trust fund. So in that case, it's not the rich not paying what they owe, it's just the rich owing almost nothing relative to a regular person. Of course, Congress can undo that any time they want and start pouring general funds into SS.

Highly disagree with this assessment. The rich should owe tremendously for SS since they are directly benefiting from the stagnant wages, lost benefits, destruction of pensions, etc etc. They should be paying to make up for their unwillingness to contribute to society in general, because their parasitic presence (and support from the government) is why many people will find themselves without any sort of retirement other than SS which is laughably unlivable for anyone forced to rely on it alone.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Professor Beetus posted:

Highly disagree with this assessment. The rich should owe tremendously for SS since they are directly benefiting from the stagnant wages, lost benefits, destruction of pensions, etc etc. They should be paying to make up for their unwillingness to contribute to society in general, because their parasitic presence (and support from the government) is why many people will find themselves without any sort of retirement other than SS which is laughably unlivable for anyone forced to rely on it alone.
I don't think we actually disagree, I'm just interpreting "taxes they actually owe" to mean "taxes they evade" rather than "taxes they are morally obligated to pay" or "taxes they would pay if they paid the same rates as regular people." I oppose any income cap on SS taxes too.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

Leon was correct in pointing out that unearned income also should be taxed for Medicare/SS pay-ins, especially bc that's likely whence most 1 percenters' income is derived.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 16, 2023

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Daniel Ellsberg, Who Leaked the Pentagon Papers, Is Dead at 92

Deeply disturbed by the accounting of American deceit in Vietnam, he approached The New York Times. The disclosures that followed rocked the nation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/16/us/daniel-ellsberg-dead.html

(I had a lunch meeting with William Colby Jr. in 1994, and he basically confirmed what these papers stated).

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

I disagree; I think "the bigger problem[s]" are that Democrats have bought into the neoliberal tropes about taxes being bad, and that "rich people" are narrowly defined as those not within the top 1 percent of income brackets.

I've watched this dance over several decades: Republicans slash taxes across all income groups, then Democrats kinda-sorta-maybe restore taxes for the top 1 percent, but usually to not what they were before they were slashed.

Rinse & repeat so nobody ever is paying more taxes than they were 10 years ago, with a few exceptions for stuff like the tax for not carrying health insurance that Obama imposed & Trump eradicated, or for richies in blue states who lost their SALT deductions under Trump.

eta: I also disagree that "we should primarily target the 0.1%"; that's exactly the dynamic that feeds into the trope that only the richest of the richest need to pay more taxes when I believe that those far less richer than that should pay more in taxes, too.

Having worked with richies for the last three decades I feel secure in stating that they know how to shield their money from taxes, and fortunately for them, the people who make the tax laws that allow richies to evade taxation are richies themselves, too.

Willa inequality is much much worse than it was several decades ago. It’s not even the same question anymore as taxing the regular rich. Yes we should tax the regular rich more too. I think any household over 250k should be paying more.

But for the extremely wealthy... if inequality continues to get worse, I think the conversation is going to change from taxation to confiscation. It’s at the point now that it is affecting the stability of society.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

We could always bring back Roman style treason trials.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Make me dictator of America and I will tax the rich 50% of their income in any way and oppress them.

I wonder if I ran on that would it get me elected

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Gatts posted:

Make me dictator of America and I will tax the rich 50% of their income in any way and oppress them.

You'd probably have a hard time getting known due to not having as much money to pay for ads and volunteers and your media coverage would be unrelentingly negative. There would probably be very few, if any, super PACs supporting you.

Those seem like bad things, but dumber things have happened.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Gatts posted:

Well they’d kill you

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Willa Rogers posted:

Leon was correct in pointing out that unearned income also should be taxed for Medicare/SS pay-ins, especially bc that's likely whence most 1 percenters' income is derived.

Sure yeah, absolutely. I am speaking pretty generally here, I know the wealthy have all kinds of ways of getting out of paying taxes and when I say we should tax them more and cap their wealth, you can assume I am talking about getting the money from them however you can, particularly since many CEOs already benefit from having "low salaries" to make up for the fact that they are getting paid hand over foot in a myriad of other ways and hoarding like a libertarian dragon.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Came across this via another forum & thought it was particularly newsworthy:

quote:

Cancer rates are climbing among young people. It’s not clear why.

Cancer, after all, most often strikes late in life. In the United States, nearly 60 percent of patients are 65 or older when they’re diagnosed.

But stories like Chapoy’s are becoming more common. In recent decades, cancer rates have been climbing among people under 50, the typical cutoff for when cancer is considered “early-onset.”

This “early-onset cancer epidemic,” as one recent study published in Nature Reviews Clinical Oncology dubbed it, comprises a surge in the incidence of over a dozen different cancers in younger people since the 1990s in countries around the world.

In the U.S., the rate of early-onset cases rose by almost 18 percent between 2000 and 2019, even as cancer declined slightly in older adults, according to data from the National Cancer Institute (NCI). Among Americans between 15 and 39 years old, an age group cancer researchers refer to as adolescents and young adults (AYAs), the surge was more pronounced still, topping 20 percent.

That increase has spanned genders, races and organs. It has stormed through young people’s blood and bone marrow, launched assaults on their gastrointestinal tracts, quartered itself in their reproductive organs. The incidence of breast cancer in Americans aged 15-39 rose more than 17 percent over the 19-year period. Myeloma rates spiked by over 30 percent. Colorectal cancer by nearly 45 percent.

Why? Cancer researchers aren’t entirely sure.

The rising rates are “probably partially attributable to increasing uptake of screening and early detection” in certain cancer types, especially thyroid cancer and prostate cancer, the authors of the Nature study noted.

Archie Bleyer, a clinical research professor at the Knight Cancer Institute of the Oregon Health & Science University, says the surge in cases of thyroid cancer, as well as kidney cancer, is at least partly a result of “overdiagnosis” due to increased screenings, both for cancer and for other health concerns. The screenings have detected tumors and masses in those organs that “look like cancer, so they’ve got to call it carcinoma,” he explains. But they “would never have been a problem if they were never picked up,” because they typically wouldn’t spread or progress.

So “in some ways, it’s a false increase,” Bleyer says.

The surge in rates goes beyond what can be accounted for by increased screenings, however. Researchers hypothesize a slew of environmental and lifestyle changes since the mid-20th century have also driven a real rise in cases by increasing exposure to risk factors early in life.

The main suspect researchers point to is obesity, which has climbed steadily since the 1960s and become more common in childhood and adolescence. Many of the cancers rising among younger people have been tied to obesity, including breast cancer and uterine cancer, as well as colorectal cancer and several others impacting the gastrointestinal tract.

The increases in obesity-related cancers have been more “dramatic” than those among other types, suggesting obesity is a “big contributor” to the spike in early-onset cases, says Tomotaka Ugai, an instructor at Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women’s Hospital and the lead author of the Nature study.

Beyond obesity itself, researchers believe a number of related factors could be involved: Westernized diets, sugar-sweetened beverages, red and processed meat, sedentary lifestyles, a decline in physical activity, metabolic conditions like type 2 diabetes.

And the list of suspects goes on. Bleyer says the increased use of diagnostic imaging such as CT scans and X rays, which expose patients to low levels of carcinogenic radiation, could be contributing, especially for cancers impacting the blood and bone marrow. When it comes to the uptick in testicular cancer, meanwhile, he says rising cannabis use is likely the leading culprit. [ed. note: :wtc: ]

People growing taller could also be a risk factor for several cancer types, he says. Ugai tells me there’s speculation changes in our sleep patterns could be involved, though evidence is “quite limited.” Marios Giannakis, a medical oncologist and researcher at the Dana-Farber Gastrointestinal Cancer Center, says changes in the microbiome — the community of microorganisms that populate the body — have been “implicated” in the increase in early-onset colorectal cancer. These changes can result from diet, lifestyle factors or even surgical procedures such as C-sections.

Giannakis stresses that more research is needed to understand what’s behind the rising rates, including long-term prospective cohort studies that follow participants over extended periods of time.

“Finding out the why could be very relevant for prevention,” Giannakis says.

But as research continues, more than 85,000 American adolescents and young adults are now being diagnosed with cancer each year.

Despite the often late diagnoses, adolescents and young adults are more likely to survive their initial cancer diagnosis than older adults: More than 85 percent live to see the five-year mark, compared to 74 percent of 40- to 64-year-olds and fewer than 62 percent of those aged 65 and older.

But Chun Chao, a cancer epidemiologist with the Kaiser Permanente Southern California Department of Research & Evaluation, emphasizes that “the challenge for cancer survivors doesn’t stop when they complete their treatment.”

Cancer can recur or progress. And young survivors also face a heightened threat of developing a second cancer or an array of other medical conditions, Chao says, including “cardiovascular diseases, metabolic disorders, endocrine conditions, pulmonary diseases, liver disease, renal failure and musculoskeletal conditions.” In addition to those physical ailments, she notes survivors have an increased risk of severe depression or anxiety.

And the timing presents a unique set of challenges and disruptions to adolescent and young adult patients that extend beyond their health.

“They are at a transitional stage in life,” Chao says. “If you think about it, this is the age when people are trying to establish their independence. Some people are finishing up their education. People are trying to get their first job, just start to establish their career. And people are starting new families and starting to have kids. So at this particular age, having a cancer diagnosis can be a huge disruption to these goals.”

Chao notes that a “high proportion” of young adult survivors report financial hardships related to cancer, including “having to borrow money, going into debt or even filing for bankruptcy.”

For now, though, the overall rise in rates shows no sign of stopping. And it may be a canary in a coal mine.

“One of the reasons that we look at trends in younger adults is because it’s the best way to evaluate progress, because that’s where you first see changing patterns in cancer,” says Rebecca Siegel, a cancer epidemiologist and Senior Scientific Director of Surveillance Research at the American Cancer Society.

Several cancer researchers I spoke to agree: The age group now passing through adolescence and young adulthood, who were buffeted by a not yet fully understood cocktail of risk factors in the early years of their lives, will likely continue to suffer higher rates of cancer as they get older.

It’s already happening, at least for colorectal cancer, Siegel says: Since 2010, advanced cancers of that type have become more common among Americans aged 50-64.

“The younger people have elevated risk their whole life,” Siegel says. “As they age, they will carry that elevated risk with them.”

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Willa Rogers posted:

Came across this via another forum & thought it was particularly newsworthy:

quote:

And the list of suspects goes on. Bleyer says the increased use of diagnostic imaging such as CT scans and X rays, which expose patients to low levels of carcinogenic radiation, could be contributing, especially for cancers impacting the blood and bone marrow. When it comes to the uptick in testicular cancer, meanwhile, he says rising cannabis use is likely the leading culprit. [ed. note: :wtc: ]

I was going to just assume vaping and lung cancer at some level until they said that specifically lmao

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I did not know that cannabis use increased your risk for testicular cancer or that obesity dramatically increased the risk of uterine cancer.

But, they both appear to be true.

The testicular cancer increase only seems to apply to "heavy lifetime users" and not light users.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5812006/

Seeing a scientist say "X-rays and CT scans might be giving you cancer, but we're not 100% sure" is also not a super encouraging thing to read as my doctor is trying to get me to sign up for a CT colonoscopy.

Silver Lining: Most of the increase seems to be from much more early detection and not life-threatening cancers.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I did not know that cannabis use increased your risk for testicular cancer or that obesity dramatically increased the risk of uterine cancer.

But, they both appear to be true.

The testicular cancer increase only seems to apply to "heavy lifetime users" and not light users.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5812006/

Seeing a scientist say "X-rays and CT scans might be giving you cancer, but we're not 100% sure" is also not a super encouraging thing to read as my doctor is trying to get me to sign up for a CT colonoscopy.

Silver Lining: Most of the increase seems to be from much more early detection and not life-threatening cancers.

Early screening and higher obesity look like they explain a huge part of it.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Ugai tells me there’s speculation changes in our sleep patterns could be involved, though evidence is “quite limited.”

The direct evidence may be limited but it would be surprising if it didn't have some effects, maybe large ones, based on how important it is on a cellular level.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

Daniel Ellsberg, Who Leaked the Pentagon Papers, Is Dead at 92

Deeply disturbed by the accounting of American deceit in Vietnam, he approached The New York Times. The disclosures that followed rocked the nation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/16/us/daniel-ellsberg-dead.html

(I had a lunch meeting with William Colby Jr. in 1994, and he basically confirmed what these papers stated).

This guy was extraordinarily brave, in that he expected that he'd probably go to forever jail over exposing this. It was only the Nixon administration's insane corruption that saved him.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Adenoid Dan posted:

The direct evidence may be limited but it would be surprising if it didn't have some effects, maybe large ones, based on how important it is on a cellular level.

Lack of good sleep often also results in weight gain & obesity, iirc, the latter of which has been correlated with cancer.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Adenoid Dan posted:

Eh, one part of the speculation around sleep patterns isn't as much the sleep patterns themselves, but the accompanying behaviors. Poor sleep is often associated with alcohol, tobacco, and recreational drug abuse. Basically, correlation not causation.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Shooting Blanks posted:

Eh, one part of the speculation around sleep patterns isn't as much the sleep patterns themselves, but the accompanying behaviors. Poor sleep is often associated with alcohol, tobacco, and recreational drug abuse. Basically, correlation not causation.

The circadian rhythm controls most protein expression in one way or another and things like cell cycle regulation, so those probably do have their own effects that would probably be difficult to disentangle, but the circadian rhythm by itself will have an effect, depending on the cancer.

Edit: what a beautiful and comprehensible sentence I have made

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 16, 2023

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Like, does this mean next model year hybrid cars will be cheaper, or?

Of course not, nor does it address that the vast majority of US residents couldn't buy a new car if they wanted to, and it's been that way for a decade now. Much less the charging hardware to go full electric, assuming they have a personal parking space or our electrical grid can handle demand upscaling during the nights that heavily without decades of infrastructure investment that haven't been happening.

Meanwhile, in better news:

https://twitter.com/LaurenKGurley/status/1669734526019424257?t=KiBX-tlH6-fLQtRkvtniUg&s=19

I'm sure the admin's going to move to block the strike, as bullshit as that is.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

https://twitter.com/LaurenKGurley/status/1669734526019424257?t=KiBX-tlH6-fLQtRkvtniUg&s=19

If Biden blocks this strike, he'll get laughter next time he calls himself a union guy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Meatball posted:

If Biden blocks this strike, he'll get laughter next time he calls himself a union guy.

The government doesn't have the ability to block a strike at a private truck delivery company. It specifically has to be a railroad company because of old laws from the 1800's (or airlines, which were added later).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The government doesn't have the ability to block a strike at a private truck delivery company. It specifically has to be a railroad company because of old laws from the 1800's (or airlines, which were added later).

This, the railroads have their own process for going on strike, which is why Biden and Congress were able to block it. That said, there is precedent for other strikes to be stopped or delayed by the government.

quote:

When the steel industry and the union failed to reach an agreement on a new contract at the end of 1951, the steelworkers announced their intention to call a nationwide steel strike. President Truman warned that, in the midst of the Korean War, such a strike would gravely threaten the national defense.

President Truman had two choices: He could refer the dispute to the Wage Stabilization Board or he could use the Taft-Hartley Act of 1946 to delay the strike. The Taft-Hartley law allowed, but did not require, the president to seek a court order stopping a strike for 80 days if it threatened the health or safety of the country. During the 80-day "cooling off" period the government would attempt to settle the dispute between labor and management. If no agreement was reached during the 80 days, the strike could proceed. The president would then submit his recommendations to Congress. During the debate over passage of this law, Congress voted down a proposal allowing the president to seize companies as a way of forcing an agreement.

President Truman referred the steel dispute to his Wage Stabilization Board. At the same time, he called upon the steelworkers to hold off their scheduled strike. They agreed to do so.

After meeting for more than two months, the Wage Stabilization Board sent its report to President Truman on March 20, 1952. Over the objections its business members, the board called for a wage increase of 26.4 cents an hour during an 18-month period. This figure was lower then that demanded by the union, but the steelworkers were prepared to accept it.

We're not at war currently, however, and while Biden can argue that it would destabilize the economy - it falls pretty far out of bounds from anything that's been done in the past.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I've never worked in a union job, how does that work? Is joining the union a mandatory condition of employment (like, they'll say: fill out this e-verify form, this form for your tax info, this form for background checks, oh and this form to join the union) or is the hiring completely handled by the union itself (as in, instead of applying to Acme Corp, I'd have to instead apply to Union Group to be placed in Acme Corp)?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've never worked in a union job, how does that work? Is joining the union a mandatory condition of employment (like, they'll say: fill out this e-verify form, this form for your tax info, this form for background checks, oh and this form to join the union) or is the hiring completely handled by the union itself (as in, instead of applying to Acme Corp, I'd have to instead apply to Union Group to be placed in Acme Corp)?

Generally, the company handles the hiring and they have an agreement with the union to pay at $X rate and require all employees to be a member of the union as a condition of employment. You would apply for a job at Acme Corp, which has a collective bargaining agreement with the SEIU that it requires you to agree to as a condition of employment. You wouldn't apply directly with SEIU and then be assigned to a job at Acme Corp.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Reading about the UPS strike is p funny. Only in TYOOL 2023 does UPS agree to put A/C in the trucks, and only in new trucks. Old trucks get a second fan.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Liquid Communism posted:

lol and they just got tentative agreement to put air conditioning in UPS delivery trucks too.

https://twitter.com/Teamsters/status/1668760152416325632

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Generally, the company handles the hiring and they have an agreement with the union to pay at $X rate and require all employees to be a member of the union as a condition of employment. You would apply for a job at Acme Corp, which has a collective bargaining agreement with the SEIU that it requires you to agree to as a condition of employment. You wouldn't apply directly with SEIU and then be assigned to a job at Acme Corp.

I see. And if it’s agreed to be paid at $X rate then does that mean there’s no nonsense with negotiating a salary and whatnot? Just here’s a job, here’s what it pays and what you get, do you accept? That sounds like the dream.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Oh, Leon, I do adore your little lies - even the lies of ignorance are such delightful little artifacts to behold.

quote:

and require all employees to be a member of the union as a condition of employment.

is absolutely not true, and borderline pushes a narrative that companies want their workers unionized - if companies wanted their workers to organize, we wouldn't need laws on the book that specifically prohibit employers from engaging in union-busting activities because...union-busting wouldn't be a thing!

How it actually works if you're joining a company with an already established union is that you enter the employ of the company in what is called a 'bargaining unit' - this is the whole sum of employees that a CBA covers whether those employees elect to formally join the union or not - you can choose to opt out of the union and remain a non-voting bargaining unit member but you lose things like your Weingarten rights, the ability to vote on contracts or to go on strike or authorize other collective actions, and you generally lose access to "members only" spaces (typically slack or discord servers in the age of virtual work) and communications (emails, texts, whatever).

You do not lose out on negotiated salary bands, job descriptions and duties, and mandatory raises - these are negotiated by the union across the entire bargaining unit, regardless of an individual person holding that position's union membership status.

Depending on the specificities in the contract (let's say around unlimited time off policies), there may be contract language that applies specifically to union members - for example, this part of my CBA:

only applies to dues paying members - while it incentivizes equal treatment under a premise of "the boss doesn't want to have to check someone's union membership status every time a time off request comes in" a particularly lovely boss with an axe to grind could absolutely treat a member of the union and a member of only the bargaining unit in two entirely different ways.

Maybe you shouldn't go around speaking so authoritatively on things you very obviously have little personal experience with.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is flatly untrue. The entire US has been right-to-work since 2018, meaning agency fees are illegal. Mandatory union membership has been illegal since like 1950:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janus_v._AFSCME