Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

American McGay posted:

Brother the season is 4 months long. Getting your 20 paragon points will take a single afternoon of actually playing the game.

You genuinely have no idea lol. It takes forever.

There's no reason to keep posting about it because it seems a lot of the people in here have tricked themselves into thinking this is going to be fun, but I guarantee by S3 (probably S2) they roll this back and you start with all the Paragon/Skill points etc if you've done them once, and Renown is tied to something season specific exclusively. I'm full Exploration/Side Quest/Statue completion and I think I barely made it to R5 in some zones.

fadam fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s like 100 +normal dungeons or so if you focus on dungeons

That’s way longer than the Poe campaign for example .

Whatever you are right if you enjoy the game it will be fine

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
At 59:25 in the stream I'm pretty sure Ron says that ALL the account unlocks for renown are persistent. He brings up skill points, potions and the gambler bux as examples, but I assume this includes paragon points and that he wasn't referring to the things pre-loaded renown points will unlock. The pre-load is about the personal unlocks.

https://twitch.tv/videos/1847877166

Edit. Ok this claim is wrong and I'm only leaving the rest of the post unedited for reading clarity. It does turn out that the +80 credits cap and +4 paragon points per zone will have to be unlocked again.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 16, 2023

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

euphronius posted:

It’s like 100 +normal dungeons or so if you focus on dungeons

That’s way longer than the Poe campaign for example .

Whatever you are right if you enjoy the game it will be fine

You can’t do it with just dungeons and exploration and altars in any zone, you still have to do a bunch of side quests at minimum.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Donnerberg posted:

At 59:25 in the stream I'm pretty sure Ron says that ALL the account unlocks for renown are persistent. He brings up skill points, potions and the gambler bux as examples, but I assume this includes paragon points and he that he wasn't referring to the things pre-loaded renown points will unlock. The pre-load is about the personal unlocks.

Hmm, yeah this seems pretty explicit, but maybe he misspoke.

EDIT: Oh never mind he's even more clear. Side Quests reset lol.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

When do you unlock greater rifts

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Donnerberg posted:

At 59:25 in the stream I'm pretty sure Ron says that ALL the account unlocks for renown are persistent. He brings up skill points, potions and the gambler bux as examples, but I assume this includes paragon points and he that he wasn't referring to the things pre-loaded renown points will unlock. The pre-load is about the personal unlocks.

They clarified that this is not the case at the very end of the stream. It's just Altars and Map exploration will give you pre-loaded renown.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Donnerberg posted:

No, they asked a question about it at the end of the Q&A because it was confusing and they clarified that it was this:

Ehud posted:

The renown thing isn't that confusing tbh

When you start a new season:

- Altars of Lilith carry over from your non-seasonal chars
- Map progress carries over from your non-seasonal chars
- The renown points you earn from altars and map discovery carry over
- The renown points that carry over unlock 2 tiers of renown rewards
- Side dungeons, side quests, and strongholds have to be done again to earn the other 3 tiers of renown rewards

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Donnerberg posted:

They clarified near the end of the stream. The Paragon/obols/skill points from Renown completion (the stuff in the W menu when opening the map) won't carry over to seasons, but you will be getting a chunk of Renown for map and altar completion that will unlock the first couple of rewards immediately and then you'll have to get renown for whatevers left (probably just Obols and paragon points)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The confusion is because some altars also give paragon points and obol capacity.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The small stuff they are letting carry over is nice, and considering the other changes they've said I'm optimistic they'll fix this in a season soon after this.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

I am happy with all of the information. They already have 13 pages of patch notes and have addressed the top concerns.

It feels weird not having anything to be mad about. :shrug:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Do you have to do dungeons you haven’t done before to get the renown?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Worth noting, some of the side quests occur in dungeons, so you can just double up on those for a cool 50 Renown. Plus Strongholds are 100 a pop. You can forego a good 400 Renown per region and still hit all the rewards

FWIW I do think Renown should fully carry over, but a partial reset's less bad than a full one

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Someone in the chat at the end straight up asked the question explicitly if the paragon points, skill points, etc carry over. And then they spent too long crossing each other's wires to reveal that the unlocks will need to be unlocked again with renown.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Shredder posted:

:mods:

ban this sick filth.

no true goon

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

Do you have to do dungeons you haven’t done before to get the renown?

I think between the Q&A and the stuff they said during the stream it works out like this:

Fog of War and Altars will count as completed, and you'll get the renown from them right as the season starts as though you did it on that character (as well as all the bonuses from Altar completion). Regardless of how many dungeons, side quests, and strongholds you've completed on your Eternal character, none of that will be marked as complete on your seasonal character and you can do them again to finish the Renown tiers.

IDK how much that is total, but anecdotally I finished my renown log in the order of statues->map->waypoint->strongholds->side quests->dungeons, and I maxed out renown on my guy right near the end of side quests in each zone. The last two tiers of Renown take forever, but the 20 paragon points you get are critical and give you a huge power boost.

It's certainly better than nothing carrying over, but considering how strong the paragon points are it is unfortunate that if you want to make your guy as strong as possible, as soon as possible, the best way to do that is to do mindnumbing renown farming instead of doing any of the cool post-campaign systems.

fadam fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 16, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I have not done "hundreds" of dungeons a zone and have one maxed out and a bunch on the last tier. What are people doing? Lol

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I have not done "hundreds" of dungeons a zone and have one maxed out and a bunch on the last tier. What are people doing? Lol

Just run each dungeon once + do all the sidequests that are "finish this dungeon" and the strongholds.

You can skip about 80% of the sidequests.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You need to do strongholds to unlock WPs and dungeons too

They are fun too as mentioned

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Have you considered that the guy screaming that it takes forever is just really bad at the game?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Shredder posted:

I am happy with all of the information. They already have 13 pages of patch notes and have addressed the top concerns.

other communities seem to be mad about no mention of group finder or overlay map, you could get annoying about those

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

American McGay posted:

Have you considered that the guy screaming that it takes forever is just really bad at the game?

Post your renown log, if you have all five zones at max renown I'll apologize, admit to being a cry baby, and let you name my seasonal character.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Group finder seems like a thing that would take a long time to implement, so I'm not expecting it any time soon

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Last tier is iirc 600 renown

A dungeon is iirc 30 renown. There are 5 zones

So just doing dungeons for the last tier is 100 dungeons

I’m not saying anyone should do that . Just using it as a ballpark for the time it takes for that tier

If I got the numbers wrong I’m sorry !!!

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I'm ok with most of what they said, it's pretty clear some of the bugs and qol they're addressing in the first 2 seasons were intended to be final before launch but they failed to make the deadline.

Strongholds will be fun to do again, side quests are pretty bleh and I'm sure maxroll or icyveins will have a list of the quickest ones and which to ignore.

Aphrodite posted:

The confusion is because some altars also give paragon points and obol capacity.

No, the confusion this time is because Rod misspoke.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm close to maxed out and have been doing every quest except the ones that require going into dungeons (I want all the ! off my map, damnit), there's definitely some leeway with how much of what activities you need to do.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
future is looking bright for this game, already the best arpg ever made and is only going to get better.

thank you blizzard :)

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

euphronius posted:

Last tier is iirc 600 renown

A dungeon is iirc 30 renown. There are 5 zones

So just doing dungeons for the last tier is 100 dungeons

I’m not saying anyone should do that . Just using it as a ballpark for the time it takes for that tier

If I got the numbers wrong I’m sorry !!!

300 of that renown comes from Strongholds
a bunch more from just discovering waypoints

i guess you could do dungeons nonstop if you want something to screech about

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Aphrodite posted:

Oh gently caress, I forgot altars did that. That explains a lot then.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

300 of that renown comes from Strongholds
a bunch more from just discovering waypoints

i guess you could do dungeons nonstop if you want something to screech about

Strongholds are def something to beeline yeah

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Group finder seems like a thing that would take a long time to implement, so I'm not expecting it any time soon

yes

it sucks that it's not in the game already i'm sure this is something they had to cut for launch due to deadlines. i wouldn't expect it until season 3 at the earliest.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

We still. Zoomed in with no map. Overlay.. The wars not over

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The d3 implementation felt perfect

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

fadam posted:

Post your renown log, if you have all five zones at max renown I'll apologize, admit to being a cry baby, and let you name my seasonal character.

poo poo me too, I'm curious who has all zones at T5 and is like "actually the grind is great." I don't think that person exists.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

fadam posted:

https://www.xbox.com/play/media/3H5MPDQMEF

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I understand now, counting isn't your strong suit.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

M. Night Skymall posted:

poo poo me too, I'm curious who has all zones at T5 and is like "actually the grind is great." I don't think that person exists.
What grind? I've just been playing the game. :shrug:

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
is the stash small because we are expected to extract all the legendaries?

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Vashro posted:

is the stash small because we are expected to extract all the legendaries?

I think it's so they can sell you stash tabs for real money, but maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

You don't need to apologize, but I'd recommend not commenting on topics you're not experienced with in the future. Ending this conversation with you now.