Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Vashro posted:

is the stash small because we are expected to extract all the legendaries?

doubtful since the aspect inventory slots are even more limited than stash space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Vashro posted:

is the stash small because we are expected to extract all the legendaries?

The extracted aspects also take a slot.

I have to ask., what is the point of a season in this? Just another race to 100 or? I get ladder d2 wipe once a year or w.e but what is the point to start over again now in three weeks time?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

fadam posted:

You don't need to apologize, but I'd recommend not commenting on topics you're not experienced with in the future. Ending this conversation with you now.
lol

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Check this out: I didn't feel like doing all the renown stuff to the final tier, so I haven't

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

yes

it sucks that it's not in the game already i'm sure this is something they had to cut for launch due to deadlines. i wouldn't expect it until season 3 at the earliest.

it's a shame because it feels like the game was designed around party play

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

acumen posted:

Check this out: I didn't feel like doing all the renown stuff to the final tier, so I haven't

Have you considered that locking player power behind a thing that people don't want to do is bad design actually?

They just need to swap the rewards for tier 4 and 5 and it's no problem.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

M. Night Skymall posted:

You can’t do it with just dungeons and exploration and altars in any zone, you still have to do a bunch of side quests at minimum.

You absolutely can do it with 0 side quests done. 23*30=690, 3*100 = 300, 20*7=140, 76*5 = 380, 28*10 = 280. 1790 total, that's Fractured Peaks with 0 side quests. Renown lvl 5 is 1500 renown.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I suggest you all make some friends in the meantime and play together

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

acumen posted:

Wow, I bet you aren't even running the same dungeon over and over and over again either to maximize exp gains. You fool, you loving peasant.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Given that most of D4 is apparently "gamer dad with 13 kids who hasn't finished the campaign yet" I wonder whether it will be a tough sell or not to get them to redo renown every season. I guess that's the kind of person who wouldn't be concerned with it in the first place?

Personally I'm not a fan of having to redo renown. It would be nice if you got renown for doing events or NM dungeons, helltides etc as well. I could also see them doing something dumb like "+100 renown exp" in the battlepass. I think either they'll do one of these changes in a future season or start you off with all the unlocks.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

WarEternal posted:

You absolutely can do it with 0 side quests done. 23*30=690, 3*100 = 300, 20*7=140, 76*5 = 380, 28*10 = 280. 1790 total, that's Fractured Peaks with 0 side quests. Renown lvl 5 is 1500 renown.

I understand, people in the thread are bad at math, but 1790 is in fact less than 2000.
Tier 5 is 2000 renown.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

M. Night Skymall posted:

Have you considered that locking player power behind a thing that people don't want to do is bad design actually?

Its like the biggest power jump in the game lol

Clocks posted:

Given that most of D4 is apparently "gamer dad with 13 kids who hasn't finished the campaign yet" I wonder whether it will be a tough sell or not to get them to redo renown every season. I guess that's the kind of person who wouldn't be concerned with it in the first place?

Personally I'm not a fan of having to redo renown. It would be nice if you got renown for doing events or NM dungeons, helltides etc as well. I could also see them doing something dumb like "+100 renown exp" in the battlepass as well. I think either they'll do one of these changes in a future season or start you off with all the unlocks.

These ppl are not gonna restart the game in three weeks time, why would they?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

If you skip the campaign then you're also going to have to do something while levelling up. Running all the dungeons once and you'll have to do like... 50 quests probably, assuming you get the "do this dungeon" quests done already.

Seems ok. It's not like you can use the paragon points until level 50 anyway.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

M. Night Skymall posted:

I understand, people in the thread are bad at math, but 1790 is in fact less than 2000.
Tier 5 is 2000 renown.

That's not math, that's google telling me the wrong amount for rank 5 renown. As you can tell, I haven't done it either and I'm not going to because lol.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

WarEternal posted:

That's not math, that's google telling me the wrong amount for rank 5 renown. As you can tell, I haven't done it either and I'm not going to because lol.

Sorry this conversation is driving me insane, it's like me and 1 other guy who've actually done it and a thread full of people who haven't done it telling us how great it is actually.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Going from renown 4 to 5 is on par with doing a full character level around 85 tbh. The time needed to do both is about the same, but one activity is significantly less fun.

Fwiw I'm character level 96 and full renown across all zones.

It would be nice to not have to do it on a season launch.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Clocks posted:

the large chunk of players will just finish the campaign and never touch the game again, maybe if an expansion comes out. they do not care about any of this poo poo

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I've got all 5 zones done and it wasn't great, but wasn't super bad either. Starting with 2.5 levels at level 1 and all the town WP unlocked to grab the dungeon quests probably won't be too bad.

Zotix posted:

Going from renown 4 to 5 is on par with doing a full character level around 85 tbh. The time needed to do both is about the same, but one activity is significantly less fun.

Not even close for me. I had all 5 zones done around level 55-60.

I was just playing the campaign and specifically targeting renown, so I wasn't leveling 100% optimally or speed leveling, though.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Clocks posted:

Given that most of D4 is apparently "gamer dad with 13 kids who hasn't finished the campaign yet" I wonder whether it will be a tough sell or not to get them to redo renown every season.

Unless Blizzard can switch the perception of what a season is or deliver consistent, high quality content additions(think the recent Monster Hunters GAAS) then it's gonna be a very hard sell. "Hey, you can play the game again and redo a bunch of stuff" loses people on a wide variety of games, especially those strapped for time. It's an exception when players do anything more than play a game from start to finish in most genres and not uncommon for several to bounce off and it's easy to forget that if you're a good gamer and a completionist. People get in, have an experience and move on.

Seasons are for compulsive players or altoholics who enjoy an officially endorsed excuse to start from scratch, or at least encouraging them to get their friends back to give the game a go for a week or two. It's a huge benefit when the devs actually add new content via the seasons(PoE, D3, planned D4) but honestly I expect a huge drop in player numbers by the middle of S1 unless added season content is phenomenal.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Chalks posted:

If you skip the campaign then you're also going to have to do something while levelling up. Running all the dungeons once and you'll have to do like... 50 quests probably, assuming you get the "do this dungeon" quests done already.

Seems ok. It's not like you can use the paragon points until level 50 anyway.

But you won't have the "do this dungeon quests", because you would have to go manually pick them all up, and a decent number of them are at the end of quest chains.

It's way less bad if you don't skip the campaign because you naturally go to areas to pick up and do sidequests as you go, but if you skip the campaign it definitely sucks having to go track down and do the quests. Particularly since you start with the tree unlocked and that gives much better XP / rewards.

It's better than nothing though.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

flashman posted:

These ppl are not gonna restart the game in three weeks time, why would they?

I mean, they stated in the campfire chat that most of the player base hasn't completed the campaign yet, which, ok, fair. Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I believe the battle pass will be something you complete within a season. If it's available in the eternal realm then it doesn't matter, but if it's only seasonal then they're incentivized to get people to play the seasons (so they can spend money — but also because it's a GaaS and they're putting work into it!). Telling casual gamers "okay, now redo all these quests you just spent three weeks going through" is not particularly incentivizing.

I guess having written that out it would make the most sense to have the battlepass not actually require you to play the season.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

If sidequests carried over and dungeons reset, I think that would be ok. Grabbing dungeons for codex for the 1-50 before WT3 seems like it would be fine. Doing sidequests again is lame.

I'm sure somebody will figure out all the optimal sidequests to get and maybe that will be easy too.

I'm assuming its like D3 where you don't need to do the story again though.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

WarEternal posted:

Then why have an opinion about whether or not it carries over for seasonal content, lol?

Renown grinding by itself is fine, it's that such a significant power boost is locked behind it combined with the fact that you have to do targeted activities to get it that bugs a lot of people. If renown was tied to seasonal rewards instead, or you ambiently gained renown points as a second XP bar that'd be one thing, but it's the combination of the worst of both that makes it kind of obnoxious.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

fadam posted:

Then why have an opinion about whether or not it carries over for seasonal content, lol?

I'm not doing it because I don't want to have to loving do it again during a season. I expected this and thus am waiting.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I did fractured peaks to max renown on my main, and I decided to do the others on my alts. Doing all the dungeons + quests + strongholds in a region is a pretty OK way to level an alt, and maxing the renown in the region just kind of happens as a side effect. Then you get those sweet, sweet paragon points on the main that you swear you're going to play some more.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

fadam posted:

Renown grinding by itself is fine, it's that such a significant power boost is locked behind it combined with the fact that you have to do targeted activities to get it that bugs a lot of people. If renown was tied to seasonal rewards instead, or you ambiently gained renown points as a second XP bar that'd be one thing, but it's the combination of the worst of both that makes it kind of obnoxious.

aren't you the guy who said strongholds are bad? you shouldn't give your opinions when they're that stupid and bad

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I've got all 5 zones done and it wasn't great, but wasn't super bad either. Starting with 2.5 levels at level 1 and all the town WP unlocked to grab the dungeon quests probably won't be too bad.

Yeah, I mean starting at level 1 and doing a ton of it while I'm anyway leveling to 50 instead of the campaign will certainly take some of the sting out, but they could just swap the rewards for 4 and 5. Getting to renown 4 is 100% something I did just "playing the game" with no problem, but after that sucks unless you happened to do a bunch of side quests on your way through on the campaign or something, and obviously that won't have happened in the season.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

M. Night Skymall posted:

Sorry, GameStop is the only organization allowed to bring Power to the Players (TM)

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

aren't you the guy who said strongholds are bad? you shouldn't give your opinions when they're that stupid and bad

I don't think strongholds are good or bad, it's just content to be done. Take about 2-5 minutes and they are done x15 or however many their are. I don't think it's some mind blowing content, but they aren't trash either.

The changes to NM dungeons are good. Blast maps good.

This is why renown is bad though. It comes down to this quasi mmo ARPG Frankenstein they have here. Shoving MMO poo poo into an ARPG. Again most MMO players want to blast maps, do Baal runs, or blast echos. They do not want to do side quests, nor do they want to play collect the UBIsoft collectables.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 16, 2023

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

people will grind the same dungeon over and over because it gives 5% more xp and complain when they're forced to do things that arent grinding the same dungeon over and over. blizzard is trying to save you from yourselves.

many of the posters in this thread resemble academy award nominee Sean Penn's character from a 2001 American drama film co-written and directed by Jessie Nelson

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

mbt posted:

people will grind the same dungeon over and over because it gives 5% more xp and complain when they're forced to do things that arent grinding the same dungeon over and over. blizzard is trying to save you from yourselves.

many of the posters in this thread resemble academy award nominee Sean Penn's character from a 2001 American drama film co-written and directed by Jessie Nelson

Turn on your monitor.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

i just wanna rift

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

mbt posted:

drat, you're right, side quests that you've already done are way more fun than playing the fun part of the game. That's why they've decided to let us skip the campaign if we've already done it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Enough of that poo poo.

e: the thread's been needlessly combative and lovely. Stop please. Post more kindly about the loot game.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Clocks posted:

I guess having written that out it would make the most sense to have the battlepass not actually require you to play the season.

I mean I'm not casual I'm severely. Addicted to this poo poo, but I'm not really seeing the allure of just having to restart my dude next time I'm home from work after like four weeks?

Is there any information on what I'd be missing? Like what's the hook for seasonal (if it's something other than the battle pass)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I understand the “why are complaining about playing the game “ pov but I also see the issue with seasons where in theory you are expect to come back over and over and do normal dungeons and side quests when they are not much a challenge by that point your blasting them out .

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Doomykins posted:

Unless Blizzard can switch the perception of what a season is or deliver consistent, high quality content additions(think the recent Monster Hunters GAAS) then it's gonna be a very hard sell. "Hey, you can play the game again and redo a bunch of stuff" loses people on a wide variety of games, especially those strapped for time. It's an exception when players do anything more than play a game from start to finish in most genres and not uncommon for several to bounce off and it's easy to forget that if you're a good gamer and a completionist. People get in, have an experience and move on.

Seasons are for compulsive players or altoholics who enjoy an officially endorsed excuse to start from scratch, or at least encouraging them to get their friends back to give the game a go for a week or two. It's a huge benefit when the devs actually add new content via the seasons(PoE, D3, planned D4) but honestly I expect a huge drop in player numbers by the middle of S1 unless added season content is phenomenal.

I mean, yes, game pops drop off. They're trying to sell the game to two distinct groups:

1) people who are going to buy it, play the campaign once, maybe do some multiplayer poo poo with friends, then feel like they had the good experience and move on. Chances are they'll never even get to WT4.

2) people who are going to get super into grinding, running hard content, doing seasons, etc. This is the ongoing, long-term population that they then cater to a year+ down the road when it's not the sexy new release but another GAAS title.

You saw this with D3. The vast, vast, vast majority of people who own D3 didn't play fifteen seasons and post online about what they thought of the newest monk gimmick. A lot of them beat it at launch, never came back, or if they did maybe they came back to beat the story bits of the expansion and then went back to not playing.

Group #1 is who you target by pricing the game at $70. Group #2 is who you target by selling cosmetics, bonus tracks on seasonal poo poo, that kind of thing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I really doubt that people are going to be forced to delete their normal characters even if they don’t want to play the season. Did Blizzard say something to make people think that would happen?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

flashman posted:

I mean I'm not casual I'm severely. Addicted to this poo poo, but I'm not really seeing the allure of just having to restart my dude next time I'm home from work after like four weeks?

Is there any information on what I'd be missing? Like what's the hook for seasonal (if it's something other than the battle pass)

You don’t have to restart your dude ever if you don’t want, they just remain on the Eternal server and can’t participate in the season journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

mbt posted:

The gently caress does this mean for an non American cause it just sounds like you need to touch grass or something