Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Like many other random drop reward tables sometimes you get stinkers.

But yeah trying to farm a rare mod that only drops from rotation C sabotage caches is a special kind of hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The Locator posted:

Is it ever worth the time it takes to find all the hidden supply caches? I found all three and the only thing marked as "Identified" in the mission rewards was a 5,000 cr. cache. Seems like a pretty crap reward for finding all three.

Not really. Some mods drop exclusively from there I think, but you're better off buying them on wf market should you need them.

The caches have set locations though, and appear as loot on the minimap, so after a while you become familiar enough with where they could be that you can speedrun them while the rest of the squad runs the mission.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
caches also make a sound when you are close. getting all three caches is a common nw objective, which is the only time most people bother at all.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
There is a buncha cool movement mechanics in this game and I don’t use 95% of them because bullet jump is the square hole. Even those big open Jupiter tiles can be done with bullet jumping along the wall with hops on said wall to reset it. It only really fails when scaling a vertical surface and there’s a railing that pokes out a single distance unit.

Sometimes when doing the Jupiter lab nightwave I’ll have to scour a tile a lil more diligently, see level design for wall running and actual parkour and try it out, and it’s great! Extremely satisfying movement and room navigation. Will never ever do it because I essentially fly baseline.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i don't think bullet jump invalidates the rest of the movement system, it's just the central hub that everything else branches off of

wallrunning is basically pointless 99% of the time but that's fine. the cool poo poo is stuff like briefly bouncing off a wall to change direction more rapidly than is possible during an aimglide, crouch-falling being slightly faster than regular falling, aiming before you roll post-bullet jump increasing momentum more than just rolling, the slight amount of momentum that can be preserved from jump to jump if you don't return to a neutral animation when touching the ground and instead slide on contact, jump before aimglide roll giving you more vertical gain but aimglide roll before jump giving you maximum horizontal distance...

honestly some of this might be slightly wrong since i'm trying to put like 3000 hours of muscle memory into words, but basically warframe gives you an absolutely insane amount of control over speed, momentum, and direction, with interesting trade-offs between the three that make even completely routine traversal a pretty deep and skillful process if you want it to be. and if you don't, well, most of the time the only penalty is you're a little bit slower.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 15, 2023

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i put 2 tauforged parkour velocity shards in hildryn along with carrying praedos and now a bullet jump and dash covers an entire tile

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i don't think bullet jump invalidates the rest of the movement system, it's just the central hub that everything else branches off of

wallrunning is basically pointless 99% of the time but that's fine. the cool poo poo is stuff like brief bouncing off a wall to change direction more rapidly than is possible during an aimglide, crouch-falling being slightly faster than regular falling, aiming before you roll post-bullet jump increasing momentum more than just rolling, the slight amount of momentum that can be preserved from jump to jump if you don't return to a neutral animation when touching the ground and instead slide on contact, jump before aimglide roll giving you more vertical gain but aimglide roll before jump giving you maximum horizontal distance...

honestly some of this might be slightly wrong since i'm trying to put like 3000 hours of muscle memory into words, but basically warframe gives you an absolutely insane amount of control over speed, momentum, and direction, with interesting trade-offs between the three that make even completely routine traversal a pretty deep and skillful process if you want it to be. and if you don't, well, most of the time the only penalty is you're a little bit slower.

Yeah honestly it's hard to imagine the game without bullet jumping now. It's central to making just playing the game feel good, more than even the guns (or mash E melee if that's your bag). I had the realization a while back that part of why I like warframe so much is that I'm also a big Mega Man X fan, and this is basically as close as you get to an X or Zero game in 3d. You move quickly but still with a feeling of some weight and generally in areas that require some navigation, and enemies are mostly speed bumps but still satisfying to down.

I'm sure there are some crazies out there who want zoren coptering or whatever other old movement tech I'm forgetting back, but I wouldn't trade bullet jumping for anything at this point.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are a few of the old wall running spots left in the grineer asteroid tileset. before bullet jumping, wall running was mandatory for them.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
My conclusion is less Warframe is lessened by bullet jumping, and more I want to also play the game some of these tiles are made for. Because it's not for Warframe.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i do not miss stamina.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

As part of my ongoing process of catching up on quests that got added in the, uh, six-odd years since I last stopped playing, I just did the Waverider quest. That was a lot of fun

also I checked the wiki page after and lmao I cannot understate how many times the phrase "skill issue" popped in my head reading the comments

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

chumbler posted:

Yeah honestly it's hard to imagine the game without bullet jumping now. It's central to making just playing the game feel good, more than even the guns (or mash E melee if that's your bag). I had the realization a while back that part of why I like warframe so much is that I'm also a big Mega Man X fan, and this is basically as close as you get to an X or Zero game in 3d. You move quickly but still with a feeling of some weight and generally in areas that require some navigation, and enemies are mostly speed bumps but still satisfying to down.

I find it absolutely infuriating when I mistime my air cast and the frame touches the ground before it's over, losing all momentum as I can't slide for a rejump. Same when glide shooting at the mobs blocking the path and a dumb one survives on a sliver and body blocks you, ruining the flow. :argh:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Blind Duke posted:

more I want to also play the game some of these tiles are made for. Because it's not for Warframe.
Mirror's Edge was pretty cool, agreed.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Runa posted:

As part of my ongoing process of catching up on quests that got added in the, uh, six-odd years since I last stopped playing, I just did the Waverider quest. That was a lot of fun

also I checked the wiki page after and lmao I cannot understate how many times the phrase "skill issue" popped in my head reading the comments

The whining about the fairly basic and eminently doable New War quest was delicious, seeing people with four (4) thousand (4000) hours in the game being unable to play the bits that were what might well be baby's first third person shooter.

(Although my bitching is that it made DE think they could get away with gameplay that doesn't have that delicious delicious movement that makes WF worth it.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Blind Duke posted:

My conclusion is less Warframe is lessened by bullet jumping, and more I want to also play the game some of these tiles are made for. Because it's not for Warframe.

you should check out Ghostrunner

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I remember seeing a post by someone complaining that they couldn't advance in warframe because their progress was gated behind the MR 8(?) mastery test... they just couldn't do it. I am not surprised there are people who won't ever get past the New War quest.

I mean, its a free game so lots of people will try it, and just not click with it, that makes sense. But then you see someone with like 500 hours in the game, a rank 30 Volt, and a rank 30 mk1 skana, rank 0 mk-1 Braton, rank 0 mk-1 kunai posting on the forums about how this game sucks because they can't figure out spy missions and you just have to wonder. Like, this person figured out how to find the forums and post, so they can read and write and look things up

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Did you prepare your Railjack, select your favourite minmax frame and full forma your Paracesis? Then you are ready for the NEW WAR! Now here is a sequence of low-power stealth section from someone else's point of view...

(it was still fun, but I do feel like I got bamboozled)

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
for TNW id not hesitate to quickly check a guide for a few finicky (but relatively short) segments if you get stuck on them. Most of the stuff shouldn't actually be that hard, but there's some things that are very easy to miss and can make things rather tedious.

A Moose posted:

But then you see someone with like 500 hours in the game, a rank 30 Volt, and a rank 30 mk1 skana, rank 0 mk-1 Braton, rank 0 mk-1 kunai posting on the forums about how this game sucks because they can't figure out spy missions
The vast majority of all internet posts aren't people looking for actual feedback or solutions, they just want to vent frustration into the anonymous void

Like, this week i ran into a LR3 max-range(!) limbo in SPC who spite afk'd (??) and when i asked if they could play the videogame with us (or like, help with some objectives at least) responded with weird sexist/transphobic (?!??) nonsense out of nowhere. You'd really think by LR3 people had figured out the absolute basics, but well, guess there's always very special cases. :smith:

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 16, 2023

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I mean, I got hung up on one of the puzzles in Veso's area with the guiding a moa through a window, so I could see some of that getting kind of annoying. Hardly progression-breaking, though.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think most of the people who get stuck on new war do it because they do Boreal first. I did Amar last so idk about him, but the first archon is the hardest, and imo Boreal is the hardest archon just because of how much he heals if you gently caress up his mechanics. Nira can actually kill you and make you start over, but that's not as annoying as a boss getting like 30% of his health back for the 4th time.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

FishMcCool posted:

Did you prepare your Railjack, select your favourite minmax frame and full forma your Paracesis? Then you are ready for the NEW WAR! Now here is a sequence of low-power stealth section from someone else's point of view...

(it was still fun, but I do feel like I got bamboozled)

This happened to me exactly, haha - I even made sure my weapon arcanes were r5 before jumping into TNW, and it was such completely unnecessary overpreparation

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm very bad at games and i didn't find new war to be some impossible ordeal that was beyond human ken. it just wasn't very fun. drifter gameplay sucks.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I just did the new war last week and posted itt about being worried about getting locked into the quest, based on reading posts about people struggling against the archons and not being a very good action gamer myself but yea the quest was pretty easy overall, the worst part was the stealth sections with the deacons

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

A Moose posted:

I think most of the people who get stuck on new war do it because they do Boreal first. I did Amar last so idk about him, but the first archon is the hardest, and imo Boreal is the hardest archon just because of how much he heals if you gently caress up his mechanics. Nira can actually kill you and make you start over, but that's not as annoying as a boss getting like 30% of his health back for the 4th time.
I did Boreal first and it wasn't that hard. Keep moving and shoot. Use the smokescreen when it heals. I loved the drifter part because it was actually challenging, though I missed having movement skills.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Once you get some parkour velocity mods/shards rolling becomes way way faster than bullet jumping, especially if you have use the Amalgam Barrel Diffusion which increases the actual roll speed. That means not using Galvanized Diffusion but it's worth it to me just for speedrunning purposes. A quick roll with parkour speed increases can take you all the way across a room in a split second and is pretty awesome. After this, wall jumping becomes more viable because it refreshes your ability to roll again in the air. Try this with Infested Mobility too, cause it gets insane and you can practically beat a Razorwinged Blitz Titania with any frame and enough power strength.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Echophonic posted:

I mean, I got hung up on one of the puzzles in Veso's area with the guiding a moa through a window, so I could see some of that getting kind of annoying. Hardly progression-breaking, though.

Yeah I think that was the only place that really got me stuck. Just couldn't figure out what they wanted me to do there because I remember it being not obvious that it was a thing you actually could do (though I forget now what it was), and I think I ended up having to find a video.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
shield the drone then order it through

this is actually my one-sentence TNW advice for someone starting the quest. It's one of those 'this will absolutely make sense when you get to it' things.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

chumbler posted:

Yeah I think that was the only place that really got me stuck. Just couldn't figure out what they wanted me to do there because I remember it being not obvious that it was a thing you actually could do (though I forget now what it was), and I think I ended up having to find a video.

Needing to use google to learn that explosive moas can hack terminals was pretty frustrating, as was being one and two-shot by bombards hiding in distant crowds, but the first two deacon stealth sections were absolute cancer.

The only thing worse than instant death effects is ones with animations that take ages to play out.

Speaking of complaining about TNW, is there any explanation as to what Ballas and Erra's deal is? Erra pretends to capture Ballas, *actually* mutilates him, and then reveals that Ballas was actually his boss the whole time?

Why the amalgam surgery? Why bother with the leash bit at all if they were just going to toss Natah the second she asked literally any questions?

Cryophage fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 16, 2023

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Cryophage posted:

Needing to use google to learn that explosive moas can hack terminals was pretty frustrating, as was being one and two-shot by bombards hiding in distant crowds, but the first two deacon stealth sections were absolute cancer.

The only thing worse than instant death effects is ones with animations that take ages to play out.

Speaking of complaining about TNW, is there any explanation as to what Ballas and Erra's deal is? Erra pretends to capture Ballas, *actually* mutilates him, and then reveals that Ballas was actually his boss the whole time?

Why the amalgam surgery? Why bother with the leash bit at all if they were just going to toss Natah the second she asked literally any questions?

I think excal umbra stabbed ballas and erra fixed him. natah was bait for the tenno. tenno were one of the main threats to the ballas/erra plan

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Cryophage posted:

The New War's writing smacks to me of a storyline that underwent extensive retooling from what it was originally planned to be, resulting in a lot of inconsistency. Look at the Paracesis, again: the Chimera Prologue makes a big deal out of how it's a special secret weapon you're going to need, the New War makes a point to give it to you even if you haven't built it yet, and then it plays absolutely no role in any of the quest, except being the weapon you happen to be carrying when Ballas takes your weapon away and stabs you with it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i mean the important detail re: paracesis is not that you get stabbed with it, but that Natah gets stabbed with it. he tricked us into delivering a murder weapon that would be effective against her by convincing us we were going to have to kill her

i do kind of wonder if the original plan was to have the Lotus die for real, though. that's basically the narrative of Dark Sector, which in many ways is a prototype of Warframe in both mechanics and plot

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
erra picked up ballas and mutilated him because he wanted to use ballas but still rightfully hated him. then ballas effortlessly took over because erra's really stupid.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

look a whole lot of warframe's storyline can only be, but is also fully, explained by "Ballas is just irresistibly sexy to sentients"

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Ballas is boring. Bring back Nef Anyo!

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

FishMcCool posted:

Ballas is boring. Bring back Nef Anyo Tyl Regor!

Playing though TNW also reminded me of Stalker and Hunhow's partnership, which I still find really funny.

"I hate them for killing my bosses!"

"I hate them for stopping me from killing your bosses! We should team up!"

"This seems like an excellent idea!"

Not a plot hole, mind, as Stalker is clearly established as an edgy lunatic and not some 5D chess playing mastermind.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

look a whole lot of warframe's storyline can only be, but is also fully, explained by "Ballas is just irresistibly sexy to sentients"

"Hey Ballas, did you remember to give the Tau AI a crippling weakness? What did you end up deciding on?"

"...Void energy."

Cryophage fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 16, 2023

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

There's this Stephen King movie called The Mangler (1995), it's not very good but it's a comfortable kind of not very good, the perfect kind of thing to put on while doing chores or taking a couch nap. The main villain of the movie is the titular mangler, an industrial laundry press that's possessed by a demon. The thing of it is, the mangler is still just a bigass laundry press - demon or no - and virtually every person it kills in the movie is someone that sees that the mangler has killed someone previously and climbs inside it to investigate. Three quarters of the movie's runtime is people coming across a freshly juiced human corpse, saying to themselves "huh I wonder how that happened" and then putting themselves in the exact position it happened so that it can happen again.

So anyways that's basically Ballas

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i do kind of wonder if the original plan was to have the Lotus die for real, though. that's basically the narrative of Dark Sector, which in many ways is a prototype of Warframe in both mechanics and plot

if I recall, yes. From the talk at the time, one big problem they were dealing with was Lotus, who was slowly becoming a way more prominent and actively important character, is voiced by Rebecca, who is not a voice actress (which I believe was a problem because of contractual/union/ACTRA issues that could arise) and was transitioning to creative director and didn't want to do that + voice act a major character at the same time. While they didn't kill Lotus off, they did drastically reduce her role and kind of "finished" her story and put her back into the background.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I actually had some trouble in TNW, in particular the fight against Veso's boss, while I knew what to do, I had trouble executing it and in the final fight I had some trouble because generally I mentally abstract away the arena decorations to focus on the arena itself and the boss and so I missed the giant rear end red things, I just noted in the rear of my brain "Oh I didn't notice those kuva lenses things first time I ran around!" and it took me a while of getting my rear end kicked to realize that they appeared there only at times and probably for a reason.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

if I recall, yes. From the talk at the time, one big problem they were dealing with was Lotus, who was slowly becoming a way more prominent and actively important character, is voiced by Rebecca, who is not a voice actress (which I believe was a problem because of contractual/union/ACTRA issues that could arise) and was transitioning to creative director and didn't want to do that + voice act a major character at the same time. While they didn't kill Lotus off, they did drastically reduce her role and kind of "finished" her story and put her back into the background.

If so, they really dropped the ball in not bringing in a new actress for her when we helped rebuild her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Lotus's Canadian accent will never not be endearing