Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

dr_rat posted:

i also liked just being able to jump off where ever in power Armour. Sure I could catch an elevator down from this tower, or I could fast travel away, but gently caress it I'm in power armour, I'll just jump.

Pain train was also one of the more fun skills to get as well. Always liked the when skills weren't just numbers go up, but actually changed what you could do in the game.

bethesda had been moving away from the skill = numbers go up since skyrim and people hated them for it lol. Said it reduced complexity.

Anyways

https://twitter.com/HazzadorGamin/status/1669640635404664832

https://twitter.com/HazzadorGamin/status/1669646276290560000

Starfield has working public transport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
"districts with subway" doesn't explain if it's a working subway you ride, or just a fast travel load zone

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

like to see about 17 slots in there. I don't know

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tankbuster posted:

bethesda had been moving away from the skill = numbers go up since skyrim and people hated them for it lol. Said it reduced complexity.
Haha, some people just really like seeing numbers go up I guess.

ymgve posted:

"districts with subway" doesn't explain if it's a working subway you ride, or just a fast travel load zone

If they don't make me wait at least a few minutes for a train I am going to be so loving mad.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

Anyways

https://twitter.com/HazzadorGamin/status/1669640635404664832

https://twitter.com/HazzadorGamin/status/1669646276290560000

gently caress yeah

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

lmao Star Citizen backers are going to lose their poo poo.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

ymgve posted:

wonder if it will be like the fallout 4 elevator load zones. You are in a tiny box that makes a lot of noise and you load up into a new cell.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Did they talk about how many companions you can have at once? I want to reform my greaser gang and go around the galaxy finding alien nerds to push into lockers.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cardboard Fox posted:

Did they talk about how many companions you can have at once? I want to reform my greaser gang and go around the galaxy finding alien nerds to push into lockers.

No but the mentioned that the bigger the ship you have the more crew you can have. So you could probably just make a super large greaser gang ship, and um blow up the alien nerds I guess. :shrug:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

dr_rat posted:

No but the mentioned that the bigger the ship you have the more crew you can have. So you could probably just make a super large greaser gang ship, and um blow up the alien nerds I guess. :shrug:

I specifically looked out for the highest maximum crew statistic I could see in the showcase. The biggest ship had 7.

I wonder if there's a direct cap. Can I go rolling around the galaxy with 50 guys in tow?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

dr_rat posted:

Just imagine the mod that lets you build a space station, or make a really junky scav ship you're always fussing with, like a Quarian.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

William Bear posted:

I specifically looked out for the highest maximum crew statistic I could see in the showcase. The biggest ship had 7.

I wonder if there's a direct cap. Can I go rolling around the galaxy with 50 guys in tow?

What was the cap on settlers in camps in fallout 4? Outposts look to work like those and might just of been the werewolf/power amour seems like the ships might work in a pretty similar way as well with how the game treats them.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
it was 10+charisma. You could have had higher with mods.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tankbuster posted:

it was 10+charisma. You could have had higher with mods.

All my characters had -10 charisma.

No wonder my camps were always so lonely. :(

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
you had to build a radio beacon to attract more settlers.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

I remember being able to add every work camp to the supply network as soon as you liberate it and still have enough rad-beet farmers to make each location feel lived in. The build/NPC limit felt generous even back in F4 and I've only hit it when actively spamming the windmill generators everywhere. Needless to say if they even bring over the existing settlements system and not simply gut their new IP to resemble Star Citizen Arena, I'll probably end up spending a good 300 hours dicking around with space skooma farms across the FTL relay.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Going from Skyrim’s barebones housing system to F4s settlement does make me look forward to the iterations that will come with Starf’s systems. Love building me some bases.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

building a megafortress in the bumfuck rear end end of nowhere extracting space rocks and then making a frowny face after the game decides an outpost with 10 people each with a minigun or heavy rifle will automatically lose to space raiders 25% of the time without my intervention with no way of reducing that chance

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

I'm gonna port Vilja into this

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
it looks like they've taken/borrowed/stolen some of the higher level concepts from sim settlements too, so that should be fun.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

If someone does a "Blakes 7" mod where the crew constantly makes biting sarcastic remarks at each other, that will absolutely make this game worth the full purchase price

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ash1138 posted:

i kind of feel bad for todd there. contemplating how many more games he'll be able to ship before shuffling off this mortal coil probably wasn't on his agenda for the day

That seems to be a PR talking point. He’s been bringing it up since the initial reveal.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ymgve posted:

It will be an opportunity to purchase a delicious meatball sub.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

boo boo bear posted:

it looks like they've taken/borrowed/stolen some of the higher level concepts from sim settlements too, so that should be fun.

eh, dunno. Its more like fallout 4 didn't launch with many prefab buildings at all. They probably thought things out better when designing this game and have it integrated in a more holistic way than in fallout 4. You need to add in a bunch of mods to even create a somewhat functional system that hooks in with the gameplay loop of fallout 4. You can't access non junk items without mods for instance or use the caravan system for a somewhat more immersive fast travel alternative in survival mode.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Rinkles posted:

That seems to be a PR talking point. He’s been bringing it up since the initial reveal.
then i hope brother todd takes a break after launch

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I don't think outposts are gonna be like FO4 settlements, where you draw in settlers. It looks like you build the outpost, mash down some crafting stations and resource gatherers, and maybe appoint a couple of your crew members to run it - they'll give bonuses to it according to their skills.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rinkles posted:

Ash1138 posted:

then i hope brother todd takes a break after launch

Every year my grandfather complains that this will be the year he finally dies. He's been doing it for 15 or 20 years now. He makes promises to family, neighbors, strangers, that he'll be dead before his next birthday. In a way I think he thinks he'll live forever if he keeps doing it.

Ever since I noticed Todd Howard making similar allusions of his mortality in interviews going back to the earliest press coverage of Starfield and TES VI, I've suspected the same thing of him. He's trying to trick satan.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 17, 2023

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Todd will live forever just like Kissinger

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

Sydney Bottocks posted:

If someone does a "Blakes 7" mod where the crew constantly makes biting sarcastic remarks at each other, that will absolutely make this game worth the full purchase price

is it safe to use that much hairspray on real spaceships?

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:
I would like more information on those small box shaped robots that were shown a couple times in the trailer. Can you build them to help or staff outposts?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

boo boo bear posted:

Let me introduce you to Real Time Settler, a mod for Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.

Never let a good idea go to waste.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Todd's only in his early 50s, I think this is more about retirement or creative exhaustion than death.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it was a weird line of questioning for sure, but he seemed to think he'd at least lead ES6 and probably another fallout which is like 15 more years by my reckoning, so i doubt he thinks he's about to die. just that the games take a long time and he'll eventually hand the reins to someone else.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Haha yeah lets not be silly. Unless health problems come up, Todd Howard will be leading Bethesda for awhile longer. Theres no reason to worry about these IPs changing hands anytime soon.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Like 60 used to be considered retirement age, and while he does seem to genuinely love his job, it's not to hard to think once he reaches that age he might move to a far less demanding role. Some sort of advisory position or what not. Unless he's secretly a massive gambler, or Nicolas cages all his cash, there's no way he can need the money at this point.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I don't know man. The sophomore generation of Bethesda Studios sharpen their knives in secret; they hide their mouths behind their hands when they whisper to each other. In some societies they dispatch the old and infirm with a surprise rock to the back of the head--it is a responsibility considered with equal parts honor and dread. At BGS they might do it with a collectible mini-nuke weighted with gold septims, but its purpose will be all the same!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
If there is a revolution to occur, it will come from the downtrodden masses of the QA department. They shall break their shackles and rise up to to create a truly fair and equal utopian Bethesda!

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Can the powers of the board just hold off on deciding whether Todd should be retired right next month? I don't want just another mismanaged high fidelity space disaster that has inadvertently also aquired a Windows 11-only requirement between now and September.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Calling it now, that magic will be Starfield’s version of dragon shouts, probably linked into that weird ring artefact thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

There will be a way to slow down time, paralyze enemies, and pick locks. calling it now