Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I liked stimulants back when I was prescribed them, because I never felt any desire to take them late enough for it to cause sleep problems. I wish I hadn't stopped getting them prescribed.

Unfortunately I've never seriously sought them out again because I'm on suboxone and the idea of being perceived as a drug-seeker is extremely stressful for me.
Also, I think suboxone somehow interferes with stimulants. Some years back my cousin gave me some of his 60mg (IIRC) extended release Ritalins and they did almost nothing, despite being *too* strong back before I was on suboxone. I think it has something to do with everything related to dopamine in my brain just being profoundly hosed up. It's like my brain just doesn't even have the capacity for it anymore, and even taking a stimulant like Ritalin is like trying to squeeze blood from a stone. Can't inhibit the reuptake of dopamine if there isn't much there to begin with!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Adenoid Dan posted:

Depends what the sleep disorders are so maybe it's different but stimulants help me stay on a reasonable sleep schedule. I sleep much better when I take them regularly.

I can't even finish a cup of tea without getting a headache so that's where I am on stimulants more generally.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Adenoid Dan posted:

Depends what the sleep disorders are so maybe it's different but stimulants help me stay on a reasonable sleep schedule. I sleep much better when I take them regularly.

Agreed. I take it for narcolepsy and the days that I can be most productive (thanks to meds) are almost always the nights I sleep the best. Having to ration medication due to the shortage has been pretty loving hard, but at least I know it's possible to get back to that place when supply issue poo poo gets sorted out.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Tulip posted:

I can't even finish a cup of tea without getting a headache so that's where I am on stimulants more generally.

Gonna point out that there are many different types of stimulants and that caffeine didn't do poo poo to help me back when I thought my problem was insomnia. For me being wrong about the initial cause of my sleep disturbances lead to trying something new and while Provigil turned out not to be a good fit, generic Adderall did. There are quite a few others out there that seem to work well for a lot of people too.

I don't know why I'm advocating for more people to get on a medication that might be in shortage but maybe this month will be different :v:

Trauts
May 1, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I liked stimulants back when I was prescribed them, because I never felt any desire to take them late enough for it to cause sleep problems. I wish I hadn't stopped getting them prescribed.

Unfortunately I've never seriously sought them out again because I'm on suboxone and the idea of being perceived as a drug-seeker is extremely stressful for me

Yeah how does that work? I was on subs for a little under a year. A good part of that reasoning came from having major surgery and then after the 40 10mg hydrocodone ran out and so off to the deep end a bit. Subs helped me stabilize but gently caress do I hate having that black mark on my chart.

How does that in practice translate to things like getting a Rx of Adderall, or dental work, or (knock on wood) having another wacky medical thing that nearly kills you. Being hospitalized with zero insurance got me treated essentially as a junkie, I can't imagine how badly they would let me lay there in pain if they saw that on my medical history. Shits scary.

Who all has access to your medical history and under what conditions is something that probably should be good to know about, since the medical system at large and individuals can be rather cruel.

galumphing lummox
Aug 30, 2006

Hi, I'm new here, haven't posted to the forums in like 7 years. Everything is too much. Climate change, fascism, covid, AI... There is no future, and I can't help but feel a constant overwhelming despair. I've done therapy, done meds, all of it. I don't think therapy can help me anymore. No amount of talking about my childhood is going to keep me from the truth about loving doomed everything is. I don't know.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

One thing I've been trying to tell myself is that everything may be hosed (and it definitely is to some degree), when you're having a depressive episode you're going to see everything that way. If your speedometer is stuck at 90mph, well you may be speeding but that's completely unrelated to what that dial says

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Does anyone know how I can dream more often? I never dream nowadays, but I daydream a lot. In a weird way the Internet is also like dreaming.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

America Inc. posted:

Does anyone know how I can dream more often? I never dream nowadays, but I daydream a lot. In a weird way the Internet is also like dreaming.

Are you on any sort of drugs? weed? alcohol? kratom? crack? benzos? drugs will basically obliterate dreams. also try to go to bed earlier, like 9-10pm. it's weird but the only time I really dream is when I'm asleep earlier, and mostly sober for several days.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

galumphing lummox posted:

Hi, I'm new here, haven't posted to the forums in like 7 years. Everything is too much. Climate change, fascism, covid, AI... There is no future, and I can't help but feel a constant overwhelming despair. I've done therapy, done meds, all of it. I don't think therapy can help me anymore. No amount of talking about my childhood is going to keep me from the truth about loving doomed everything is. I don't know.
So I'll be upfront, I'm really good at compartmentalizing so I may not be much help and take this with a grain of salt but.... you are not wrong but I think you are using the concept of "doom" in place of deep-rooted depression, or rather trying to rationalize life paralysis into "giving up" by getting "into doom". Or to re-word that, "doom" isn't (or shouldn't be) the cause of your ails, its a rationale. pills and therapy aren't a magic bullet neither, you may want to look into a different psychiatrist or different set of pills or other non-pharma therapy. or even mushroom therapy.

you can try to look at it another way like I see it: tens of thousands of human history have got us here today and we're the lucky ones to witness some of the most fascinating, truly unprecedented in human history, times ahead. The complete annihilation of the material base that the system relies on also opens up exciting opportunities (for better or worse). It's like winning the powerball lotto multiple times in a row and it's a serious scientific treasure trove. and during intermission in the mean time, there's still plenty of treats n pleasures to be had while munching on the popcorn

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

America Inc. posted:

Keep a dream journal. Every since I started using one, I've not only started dreaming more, but my dreams have become more vivid. I use an app called Lucid and log my dreams first thing in the morning.

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

I've noticed recently that I started developing this negative habit where, whenever something good happens to a friend or family (new job, travel, graduate, etc.) I can't help but feel jealous and negative. I'm still happy about their accomplishment but can't help but compare myself to them and I feel bad thinking this way.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Xaris posted:

Are you on any sort of drugs? weed? alcohol? kratom? crack? benzos? drugs will basically obliterate dreams. also try to go to bed earlier, like 9-10pm. it's weird but the only time I really dream is when I'm asleep earlier, and mostly sober for several days.

I do quaaludes every morning when I wake up in my mansion with my hot wife.

Seriously though, I was on Seroquel for a year, stopped taking it for a few months, now I'm on it again. I smoke weed but like once every few weeks.

I think sleeping earlier and keeping a dream journal are both good ideas. I'm just more of a night owl naturally and I sleep late.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Another thing is that I have a bad habit of picking up new routines and then dropping them in a few weeks. But I'm coming to understand either I consciously choose and follow good habits or I will unconsciously follow bad ones. The book Atomic Habits talks a lot about this. Even Freud talks about this in his concept of "Death Instinct".

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
i bought a seroquel from my friend like 15 years ago, it cost fhree dollars and i took it at 11 in rhe morning and fell asleep at about noon and slept for 20 hours straight ftw

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

FirstnameLastname posted:

i bought a seroquel from my friend like 15 years ago, it cost fhree dollars and i took it at 11 in rhe morning and fell asleep at about noon and slept for 20 hours straight ftw

Seroquel is literaly poo poo. Docs used to give it away like candy about 15 years ago.

I started doing daily physical activity and my feet hurt like hell. Does that get better or is just another thing i supposed to get used to?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Yesterday i had a colleague take me aside to privately tell me I "talk too much". Today i have someone gently tell me i took too many desserts from a buffet. I can't help but wonder if these are just extremely polite Scandinavian ways of telling me I am a rude motherfucker who ruins everything.

AceOfFlames has issued a correction as of 12:22 on Jun 16, 2023

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

Yesterday i had a colleague take me aside to privately tell me I "talk too much". Today i have someone gently tell me i took too many desserts from a buffet. I can't help but wonder if these are just extremely polite Scandinavian ways of telling me I am a rude motherfucker who ruins everything.

You wanna exchange places bro? I've always had the exact opposite problem.

My last boss took it as a personal insult because I mind my own business and did not ask her in depth questions about her personal life.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

You're doomspiraling. It is a known thing here. I have found that it's usually exacerbated by not engaging with things personally, being over-aware of the news cycle, etc. Watching programming like The Majority Report that's more explicitly progressive-positive and that highlights ways forward has helped me a lot with that. If all you're taking in are lists of grievances that's all you're going to see.

Do recommend continuing therapy and explicitly bringing up the issues you're struggling with. Talking about childhood is like telling your mechanic the make/model of your car before they start working, it's basic steps. The progress comes from having that space to go to and air your poo poo out in that's explicitly without judgement.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

AceOfFlames posted:

I.....................need to know more

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

over the last couple weeks i got covid and my nintendo switch broke. and i wasted a ton of time and energy trying to get paxlovid to no avail :(

the symptoms weren't any worse than a cold and i sanitized all my stuff, guess i'll hope for no long covid bs

still rough

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Zantie posted:

Gonna point out that there are many different types of stimulants and that caffeine didn't do poo poo to help me back when I thought my problem was insomnia. For me being wrong about the initial cause of my sleep disturbances lead to trying something new and while Provigil turned out not to be a good fit, generic Adderall did. There are quite a few others out there that seem to work well for a lot of people too.

I don't know why I'm advocating for more people to get on a medication that might be in shortage but maybe this month will be different :v:

Yeah like I said, i'm grateful that I'm not currently beholden to a drug that is being artificially restricted by the kinds of people who want me and my loved ones dead anyway.

Pajser posted:

I started doing daily physical activity and my feet hurt like hell. Does that get better or is just another thing i supposed to get used to?

It gets better. That particular feeling is actually a pretty rapid improvement. I went from "walking a few hundred feet hurt" to "walking 5 miles feels like nothing on my feet" in a couple of weeks. Most of the "i just started working out and I feel sore as hell" things are basically your body shaking out rust and cobwebs things that get better quite fast.

Segata Sanshiro posted:

over the last couple weeks i got covid and my nintendo switch broke. and i wasted a ton of time and energy trying to get paxlovid to no avail :(

the symptoms weren't any worse than a cold and i sanitized all my stuff, guess i'll hope for no long covid bs

still rough

Infuriating, I'm sorry. Paxlovid is a miracle drug so it sucks super bad to not be able to get your hands on it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

meditation has helped me with this as it helps to internalize your feelings and accept where you are in this moment, encouraging you to let go or accept things outside your control. it's not easy and will take time but try the app Breethe for some guided meditations as they may help if noting else does.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Pajser posted:

Seroquel is literaly poo poo. Docs used to give it away like candy about 15 years ago.

It’s ok but at the doses it’s most commonly prescribed (<100mg) it only really acts as an antihistamine

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
antihistamines are awful

im not sensitive to any other kind of medication but if i take even 50mg of benadryl, i can't tell if I'm awake or not or if my eyes are even closed when I'm lying down. mega uncomfortable

the other day i was reading about an mkultra antihistamine derived from datura that makes you trip balls with vividly indistinguishable-from-reality delusions and hallucinations for 10+ days straight and then have permanently increased likelihood of paranoia, psychosis and erratic violent behavior, i forgot the name but lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

antihistamines are awful

im not sensitive to any other kind of medication but if i take even 50mg of benadryl, i can't tell if I'm awake or not or if my eyes are even closed when I'm lying down. mega uncomfortable

the other day i was reading about an mkultra antihistamine derived from datura that makes you trip balls with vividly indistinguishable-from-reality delusions and hallucinations for 10+ days straight and then have permanently increased likelihood of paranoia, psychosis and erratic violent behavior, i forgot the name but lol

Benadryl is a hell of a drug and I'm kinda surprised you can still buy bottles with hundreds of them OTC for like :10bux:.

I get that half asleep "can see through eyelids" thing too. I know not to push it but some people do and report seeing "the hat man". It also increases your risk of dementia especially if you're already old.

So now when I have an allergy reaction that isn't responding to 2nd gen antihistamines, I'll only take one 25mg benadryl, sometimes even just half of that.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i don't want to sound like a dip but the only cure for an existential crisis IMHO is philosophy. therapy is meant for helping you solve interpersonal issues, self-confidence, trauma. big brain poo poo like the end of the world cannot be solved in your mind on an individual level because it's not an individual issue, it's a global, existential one.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I disagree. Anxiety and depression change how you are able to react to information. Some people will almost completely shut down. That can be helped with therapy and medication depending on your individual situation.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Adenoid Dan posted:

I disagree. Anxiety and depression change how you are able to react to information. Some people will almost completely shut down. That can be helped with therapy and medication depending on your individual situation.

i think maybe i didn't word that right. im not saying therapy and medication doesn't do anything ever and that it wouldn't help but if someone says "i have tried therapy and medication and it doesn't help my existential dread", i would suggest some philosophical modes of thinking can also really help to rearrange how you see things. it's also like therapy but by reading things old men with questionable beards wrote.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah I agree with that.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

cash crab posted:

i don't want to sound like a dip but the only cure for an existential crisis IMHO is philosophy. therapy is meant for helping you solve interpersonal issues, self-confidence, trauma. big brain poo poo like the end of the world cannot be solved in your mind on an individual level because it's not an individual issue, it's a global, existential one.

it depends on whats spurring it

depression, OCD, anxiety, similar can very often manifest as outward projection into things that upset someone and become a fixation or obsession. to me it seems kinda similar to hypochondria actually, not to say that people are simply imagining things, but the part where ruminating and fixation leads to confirmation biasea and lead to spending half a day or more worrying about something inconsequential or that you have no influence over or something that isn't actually happening etc.

basically internalizing external societal struggles until emotionally they start to become an extension of yourself or part of your identity, it makes people really vulnerable to overall doomerism because the 'vibe' of that stuff never really crosses into positivity and over time kinda reinforces negative thinking when too close to it, regardless of intent

outside of stuff that's initially rooted in mental health issues you're right tho

real talk
if you already feel super depressed or anxious, do not look at the world's problems. it only ever makes you feel bad, doesn't help you or anyone else. it's not a sign of you abandoning your values, it's prioritizing your own mental well-being.
looking at global warming war scary poo poo frequently will worsen your own anxiety and depression over time always, there's a thousand examples of this on SA alone and zero of the inverse outcome, it just doesn't happen

pay attention to your own & only look at that stuff when it doesn't gently caress with you, or u just stealin from your own life & letting wapo articles farm cortisol out ur blood

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

if you already feel super depressed or anxious, do not look at the world's problems. it only ever makes you feel bad, doesn't help you or anyone else. it's not a sign of you abandoning your values, it's prioritizing your own mental well-being.
looking at global warming war scary poo poo frequently will worsen your own anxiety and depression over time always, there's a thousand examples of this on SA alone and zero of the inverse outcome, it just doesn't happen

pay attention to your own & only look at that stuff when it doesn't gently caress with you, or u just stealin from your own life & letting wapo articles farm cortisol out ur blood

This is also true. In an emergency you need to look to your own safety first before you can help others. If it's something you can limit your exposure to, it's good to do that.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Adenoid Dan posted:

This is also true. In an emergency you need to look to your own safety first before you can help others. If it's something you can limit your exposure to, it's good to do that.

there's this interview where tyler the creator made(or repeated) a really good metaphor about being in a plane emergency and needing to put your own oxygen mask before you try to do anything else, he was talking about his music career but it applies to mental health and general life situations too and it stuck with me
can't be worried about other poo poo going on if you haven't made sure you're alright first, it's not selfish, it's just how it works

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

This is a tough one to figure out without knowing your exact circumstances and behavior. The buffet thing is weird and probably doesn't matter, but the thing about you talking too much *might* point to an actual issue. You probably shouldn't be too concerned unless other people start bringing it up as well, though.

When I was younger, I would sort of flip between being talkative (almost like a very minor sort of mania) and suddenly becoming depressed/withdrawn upon realizing that the situation was one-sided and others didn't really care to listen to me much.

In distant hindsight, I think I was both right and wrong. I think my concerns about annoying other people were exaggerated and irrational (I don't think anyone ever disliked having me around), but I think I was actually correct in my understanding that other people were ambivalent towards my presence.

This stuff can be difficult, because you have to figure out what constitutes "a warped perspective" vs "what's really happening." People will often tell you that you're being irrational when you worry about other people not liking you, but sometimes it's actually true and you only make things worse by staying in denial about it. It's impossible to know without actually seeing the behavior and people in question. All you can really do is try to look at the situation - and your own behavior - clearly.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

cash crab posted:

This makes even more sense when you consider many philosophers were social outcasts (literally the founder of Western philosophy got executed), went through awful things or probably suffered from some mental health issues before modern therapy or psychiatry.

Spending tons of time by yourself thinking and reasoning about the nature of reality and morality is not a thing normal people do. In any case the difference between the crackpots and the sages is that the latter might have some friends and occasionally ask if their ideas make any sense.

America Inc. has issued a correction as of 01:25 on Jun 17, 2023

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i think we really devolved as a species when "sit in a barrel and think about stuff" stopped being a viable career option

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

cash crab posted:

i think we really devolved as a species when "sit in a barrel and think about stuff" stopped being a viable career option

Kinda doing this right now atm, has its ups and downs. Its an a/c controlled barrel equivilent so it might be too boog, but either/or.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Pajser posted:

It's literally the only thing that gets me to sleep consistently. I didn't take it tonight and well here I am.

I tried running, ASMR, reading, theanine, melatonin, weed, prayer, jerking off none of them give me 100% effectiveness (what kind of dumbass God gives me insomnia and then asks me to pray to fix it anyway?). I might get a heart attack at 35 but I guess them's the breaks.

America Inc. has issued a correction as of 11:43 on Jun 17, 2023

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
Does anyone know if I thighs hurting is something I should be worried about, or should I just keep going?
Suddenly stairs are an ordeal and make me cry like a baby.
Is this normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Pajser posted:

Does anyone know if I thighs hurting is something I should be worried about, or should I just keep going?
Suddenly stairs are an ordeal and make me cry like a baby.
Is this normal?

I mean, what's the context, why do you think they hurt?