Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My targets in freelancer were The Curator in Hokkaido and... The Curator in Hokkaido?

Edit: I really should have tested to see if I could get them both to commit suicide but I forgot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

This was what KillHour posted, no need to read their original post, IOI! Nor the text below here, which is an unrelated matter.

Shut up KillHour, don't let IOI know about the bathroom!

I always end up getting bored when I'm trying to depopulate part of a map and get too many bodies to store in a single cubicle because you end up having to do so much rearranging to get the door to stay closed if they ragdoll the wrong way when you drop them and there's a single arm that's keeping the door open but somehow you can't drag them out of the way enough because of all the other bodies.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Has anyone else had flying/teleporting guards in Sgail? I don't mean "a guard showed up and I don't know from where", I mean I literally watch them leap upwards an entire floor. One guy managed to warp around me while I was camping the bridge to the Constant's tower, I watched him fly in the air above the bridge, enter the tower above me, and come down the stairs behind me.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

ah yes

t a t t o o

Heart goes out to the innocent similarly-featured lady that got domed in the washroom when she was just there to have a casual secret meeting with her friends

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Has anyone else had flying/teleporting guards in Sgail? I don't mean "a guard showed up and I don't know from where", I mean I literally watch them leap upwards an entire floor. One guy managed to warp around me while I was camping the bridge to the Constant's tower, I watched him fly in the air above the bridge, enter the tower above me, and come down the stairs behind me.

Not Sgail, but Marrakesh, unless a guard spawns on the roof of the consulate. I took a shot thinking nobody was around on the second flood, got spotted, looked up just in time to see an orange guard pointing a gun at me - who then teleported through said roof to my floor. I did not survive the escape.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wizard of the Deep posted:

That definitely happens if you have three "big" items. For example, if you've got a rifle in one hand, a shotgun on your back, and a sniper in a briefcase, you'll only spawn in the safehouse with the rifle and the shotgun. The sniper in the case is just gone.

The general advice for this is to take big items out of a case before you leave, if you can. If not, make sure you're only carrying the case.

You can also encounter a disappearing item when you climb into a hiding spot with a briefcase, and pull a big item from your back.

These same bugs were probably present in the base game, but it never really mattered because you couldn't permanently lose an item.

Is this a recent change? I frequently while building up my weapon wall would end up in situations where I was ferrying items to hide by the exit (particularly in Sapienza) and then would stack them all up in various ways to carry everything and I never lost anything that way.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

guards do not respect the z level

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Jerusalem posted:

Is this a recent change? I frequently while building up my weapon wall would end up in situations where I was ferrying items to hide by the exit (particularly in Sapienza) and then would stack them all up in various ways to carry everything and I never lost anything that way.
What do you mean? You can only carry two large items or one large item and a brief case.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I had over 600,000 merces and in the process of trying to switch things up a bit I now have about 60,000. :cripes:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I haven't actually played Freelancer since the beta

I am terminally behind on playing my videogames

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I had over 600,000 merces and in the process of trying to switch things up a bit I now have about 60,000. :cripes:

I didn't think I would but I'm actually really enjoying the little game of just seeing how many merces I can accumulate at once(I don't ever dashboard out to prevent a failed mission, I play straight up).

Now that I completed the weapon wall, the reward crate is always a chunk of merces but with how brutal the failure penalty is, I've had trouble getting above 150-200k before I fail a mission and lose half of it. I'm getting there though, eventually I'll hit a run where I complete like 2 or 3 campaigns in a row without a failure and the merces will really start to pile up.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

ah yes

t a t t o o

Heart goes out to the innocent similarly-featured lady that got domed in the washroom when she was just there to have a casual secret meeting with her friends

Earrings on men, which usually end up being studs made up of approximately 3 polygons, and tattoos are both things I basically ignore narrowing down suspects. Basically they are in danger if I can't eliminate them and they go into an isolated location.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Earrings on men, which usually end up being studs made up of approximately 3 polygons, and tattoos are both things I basically ignore narrowing down suspects. Basically they are in danger if I can't eliminate them and they go into an isolated location.

That's why I do all of my showdowns on Miami, I almost never even have to bother with IDing suspects. I just methodically take out suspects as they walk down the isolated hallways(most have conveniently placed containers to hide bodies) and then eventually I either kill the right one or I get the right burner phone to set up the meeting.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

ah yes

t a t t o o

I can see what's going on there, that's an overlay problem. See the hard edge on the bottom? The tattoo is bigger, but for whatever reason, the overlay is sitting wrong and it cuts off.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Midnight Voyager posted:

I can see what's going on there, that's an overlay problem. See the hard edge on the bottom? The tattoo is bigger, but for whatever reason, the overlay is sitting wrong and it cuts off.

No she asked for it like that, it's very stylish

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Lollerich posted:

I just don't even bother trying to get SA in Freelancer anymore either.

You'll be glad to know that SA doesn't get you anything extra in freelancer then, going loud and wacky is pretty much the developer intended method.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

Judge Tesla posted:

You'll be glad to know that SA doesn't get you anything extra in freelancer then, going loud and wacky is pretty much the developer intended method.
I always used to go for SA in normal mode, it became a habit. Also, there is SA and SASO as prestige objective.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Judge Tesla posted:

SA, SASO, and SA No Firearms are all prestige objectives and might be the best bet among the choices, if you try a hardcore run in Freelancer.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
This might sound like a stupid question, but how do you take the fuse cell out in the Freelancer garage? I have the bomb table unlocked. Unless this is another bug.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

Hedgehog Pie posted:

This might sound like a stupid question, but how do you take the fuse cell out in the Freelancer garage? I have the bomb table unlocked. Unless this is another bug.
There should be an interaction prompt when you walk up to it. After that it will always be out unless you put it back in.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Yo, IO Interactive, this poo poo sucks:

I need to call the loving CSI squad to analyze these photos for earrings.

edit: This guy was the target, but I spent so much time hunting for earrings I didn't notice the assassin walking right up behind me as I killed him. RIP my epic assault rifle, and all my tools.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Lollerich posted:

There should be an interaction prompt when you walk up to it. After that it will always be out unless you put it back in.

This is what I was afraid of, lol. I feel like it might be in the same camp as not being to pick up the nail sometimes. I'll try again next time I play and get an explosive objective.

edit: This guy was the target, but I spent so much time hunting for earrings I didn't notice the assassin walking right up behind me as I killed him. RIP my epic assault rifle, and all my tools.

Earrings is by far my least favourite showdown tell for this very reason. Call me old (33) for not being able to see my TV screen close up, whatever, I'm not saying it's "reading Dead Rising dialogue on a pre-HD TV" (I couldn't read this when I was 16) or anything, it's just irritating.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

I just 100% completely ignore earrings/tattoos, and just check all the other stuff. Hair/glasses/tells/meetings is much more reliable.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Midnight Voyager posted:

Yeah I could see it flickering from the z-fighting as I was lining her up to take the photo. My first thought when I took it was "darn that's actually generous for difficult it was to spot with her arms swaying".

It's weird that the camera doesn't zoom in further with how much they ask of you with some of the appearance stuff, especially since the less fancy non-showdown camera zooms in like twice as far, but I'm guessing the answer somewhere along the lines of either "it breaks something" or "it makes it that much more obvious how limited the camera is in range and granularity that it can recognize you're aiming it at a suspect".

The natural use for the camera seems to Quantum of Solace style perching yourself somewhere and spying on everyone you can see, but I was pretty bummed when you kind of can't since it can only see people maybe 50m away, so instead it's "dress up like a waiter and paparazzi people right in their face, sometimes multiple times so you can get them with the right lighting to even be able to see".

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

No kidding, most of the time I have to literally touch their face to get a decent shot with the camera. God help me if I end up on an Alerted map, in a spot I can't easily get to with a civilian disguise.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lollerich posted:

What do you mean? You can only carry two large items or one large item and a brief case.

I've been able to carry like a sniper rifle in a briefcase, a water canister in another briefcase (it's the only time you're allowed to carry two briefcases I think?) with a shotgun on my back and it hasn't made any of them disappear when I returned to the safehouse.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I just kill them all and let GodDiana sort 'em out.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

No kidding, most of the time I have to literally touch their face to get a decent shot with the camera. God help me if I end up on an Alerted map, in a spot I can't easily get to with a civilian disguise.

On Hardcore it also doesn't show you the icon above their head when they are doing a tell or having a meeting. It leads to some awkward moments where you have to base things on the animation of the outline in instinct mode... or just wait for it to happen again to be certain.

I agree that earrings and tattoos are finicky, but I have played Freelancer enough that I can confirm that you really don't need them to find a leader. The presence/absence of the other visual details, in addition to the tells and the network can be enough. Sometimes I end up more focussed on suspects who clearly are not the leader and following them until they get to a location where they can be dealt with without a fuss. All to get that juicy burner phone.

Sadly it can't all be suspects like the one I once had in New York who was a Dehydrated Foodie and performed both tells perfectly visible at the lost-and-found desk (right after each other too!).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 17, 2023

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Shooting Blanks posted:

SA, SASO, and SA No Firearms are all prestige objectives and might be the best bet among the choices, if you try a hardcore run in Freelancer.

I'm aware but I don't feel the need to do them for money I don't need, it's kind of a wimpy reward.

Having every gun on the wall has removed the need to worry about cash.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm aware but I don't feel the need to do them for money I don't need, it's kind of a wimpy reward.

Having every gun on the wall has removed the need to worry about cash.

That's what prestige is for! :getin:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God I hate Colorado as a Freelancer location :negative:

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

It really does suck. My best advice is to have an escape route in mind every time you gotta take a shot. If you get compromised, don't try to take out all the witnesses, just get out. The outside edge is usually a good place to run to, but move fast so you don't get squeezed from both sides. And never try to snipe from the top of the barracks/water tower. It looks like it was deliberately designed for this, but it will get you killed. Taking a shot from the water tower will get 30 dudes swarming around you, and they will never leave, even if they didn't technically "see" you. Taking a shot from the rooftop will get you compromised because there's a million odd angles where someone from the ground can spot you.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

It really does suck. My best advice is to have an escape route in mind every time you gotta take a shot. If you get compromised, don't try to take out all the witnesses, just get out. The outside edge is usually a good place to run to, but move fast so you don't get squeezed from both sides. And never try to snipe from the top of the barracks/water tower. It looks like it was deliberately designed for this, but it will get you killed. Taking a shot from the water tower will get 30 dudes swarming around you, and they will never leave, even if they didn't technically "see" you. Taking a shot from the rooftop will get you compromised because there's a million odd angles where someone from the ground can spot you.

Never try to snipe from the top of the water tower unless you intend to abuse the spots where no one can shoot you and stay up there shooting down until you have killed everyone nearby. (which to be honest is fun once and then boring after)

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I have done this more than once, but make sure you bring an extra weapon with you because you will run out of pistol ammo.

Edit: One more tip for Colorado, save your ducks for it. If you're on Alerted, get into the house and steal a hacker disguise, because it's the only non-guard disguise on the map. Then you can just walk up to your targets, gently set a duck down, and walk away. Just like a world-renowned assassin does it.

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 17, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I know the game doesn't really cheat like that and it's just me not noticing something, but I swear there have been times in Colorado where I'm in an isolated location, I've scoped it out for like 5-6 minutes watching everybody's pathing, I've made absolutely certain NOBODY is around except the target, taken a shot from behind cover and immediately not only am I compromised but 3 soldiers are now only a few feet away unloading on me with assault rifles.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The fewer walls and floors on a map, and the more guard density, the easier it is for random bullshit telepathy. Colorado has few walls and floors, and everyone's a guard.

The real trick to success on Colorado is to get to the top floor bedroom where the two guys are playing video games, then go loud until guys stop coming, using their weapons to fuel your defenses until it gets quiet. Then swipe a Hacker disguise and sneak out. Can't get busted if the whole map's dead, and if you're on an Arms Dealer syndicate, you probably will already have completed the kill requirements!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I feel like I'm going to restrict my Colorado attempts to the first two levels of a contract when/if I start tackling the challenge to kill 50 targets on that map.

On this topic, I completed two of these challenges yesterday: Whittleton Creek and... Bangkok!?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I think the only one I have left is Sgail. I just really dislike that map in Freelancer mode for some reason.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

But later syndicates mean more targets per map, so fewer visits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Where in the interface can I see the challenges for ETs? I want to tell which "kill an ET in this location" ones I still need, and how many I need for the remaining unlocks.