Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

ewe2 posted:

On the topic of rounds, anyone got a recommendation for through-body rounds,.

I tend to bounce between NYXLs and Rotosounds. The NYXLs stay bright for a really long time, and the Rotosounds round out to this really nice mellow that's somewhere between flats and rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Laserface posted:

Anyone got advice on oversized/laaaaarge cases/gig bags?

My thunderbird is 130cm long by 40cm wide.

It's too big for a Gibson/epiphone t-bird hard case (and gently caress Gibson, I had this xxl tbird built because they don't acknowledge lefties exist, I refuse to give them money)

I've been told BC Rich cases might work but they're also far too wide (and then everyone thinks you play a bc rich)

Keyboard cases are far too expensive and bulky to fit in my car, if they're even wide enough

Any site listing a case/bag that fits is listing the box the case/bag comes in rather than the actual size of the internal of the case/bag or not at all.

Made all the more harder by the slow death of retail and nobody stocking anything on the shelf to test fit. Not that music stores here have ever been good for that.

Why do you care if people think you play a BC Rich?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's a joke and the case would be too wide to get into my car.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

pointlessone posted:

I tend to bounce between NYXLs and Rotosounds. The NYXLs stay bright for a really long time, and the Rotosounds round out to this really nice mellow that's somewhere between flats and rounds.

Thanks, I used to play Rotos but that was with 4-string p basses and I used to punish them pretty hard so they'd go off fairly quickly. They have a very pianoy sound which is great but they're also very hard on the fingers!

I might give the NYXL's a go, they've done well on my guitars, not so much the brightness but the clarity is what impressed me.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Laserface posted:

My thunderbird is 130cm long by 40cm wide.

poo poo, I was gonna suggest a cheap rear end Gator case, but it looks like it's not wide enough. Internet says 13.8 in interior for the body which is 30.5 cm.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

ewe2 posted:

On the topic of rounds, anyone got a recommendation for through-body rounds, I've got a Yamaha PJ 5er where I think the factory rounds (probably chrome XL's) have come off the boil and the passive sound has become a bit sludgy especially on the P side. I was thinking maybe trying out some Sunbeams or possibly GHS balanced nickels. I've used Sunbeams on a 5er before but the bass was very dark, this bass has a bit more brightness to it. Has to be a string that can handle through body not a 90deg angle, the Yamaha angle is half that at 45deg.

DR Lo-Rider stainless steel are my go-to strings on almost all my basses except for my old Rics, which get Hi-Beams as they are a little lower tension. I have them on my Gibson Grabber which is string-through and a slightly longer scale length (34.5") so they should work with your bass.

I've also had good results with D'Addario XL ProSteels, which are available in a super long scale option - https://www.daddario.com/products/guitar/bass-guitar/xl-prosteels-bass/eps170-5sl-prosteels-5-string-bass-light-45-130-super-long-scale/

People tend to get too hung up on strings, and at $20-30 a set its really not a huge investment to try something. As a teenager in the 90s that was a large amount of money, but somehow almost 30 years later strings are still about the same price so I don't sweat it as much.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm really enjoying the DR Fatbeams on the SB-2, it's really come alive with them, I might do some DR experiments after that. It's the kind of bass where rounds seem to give me two distinct sounds poles of tone and variations between, whereas flats have too dominant a fundamental so adding the J sharpens the sound somewhat instead of actual tone shaping. Rather odd to have a bass that depends that much on a string type for tone.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Laserface posted:

Something for an acoustic bass?

My Ripper doesn't fit in anything I have, either. I might try my own advice there.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Something for an acoustic bass?

My Ripper doesn't fit in anything I have, either. I might try my own advice there.

Ended up emailing armour ma Aussie distributor because a retailer had dimensions that would fit (it was the box dimensions, not the bag dimensions) and the helpful rep that answered my email actually spent half an hour plugging in sizes on gators case finder to find something that might work.

At $300 I still want to test fit first and it'll need some extra padding but it might work.

My other option is get a chippy friend to build me one but he's half way thru building his house and working too so I don't want to be that guy.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Laserface posted:

Gator claims that the Pro-Go bag will fit a Tbird.

I have a Gator Transit bag and it's fantastic.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Tell me about acoustic wall panels. My practice room is pretty boomy and low notes get muddy. Not trying to record, just hear myself better.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Placement is a science, the materials are not.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Rehearsal places either have heavy drapes or carpets hanging, acoustic panels, or nothing (extremely bad). Pick your poison, some options are obviously cheaper

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

After 22 year of playing in 4ths, I’m relearning double bass tuned in 5ths, C-G-D-A. Absolute masochism dusting off Simandl book 1 and stumbling around the fingerboard like an rear end in a top hat. I’m pretty sure the claims of more resonance and better intonation are true

But I finally have notes below E so there’s that!

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
You'll also probably be able to pick up the cello a lot easier

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

Unrelated, but I think I remember you posting about your love of Greco LP’s forever ago, and it started me down my Japanese affliction as well. It was a black-on-black Greco with the fret nubs

Anywho, this popped up quasi-locally and I messaged the dude about maybe checking it out tomorrow. :ohdear: 1982 Grecobacker.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

:yeshaha:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I encourage buying any rick copy from that era and enjoying them or, more specifically, modding them to gently caress

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

muike posted:

I encourage buying any rick copy from that era and enjoying them or, more specifically, modding them to gently caress

Sage advice from an elder. I do have a Darkglass tone capsule on the way already, so maybe it’ll find a home here?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i want to put one on my Actual Rick so i would say go for it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Nigh impossible to find Greco Ricks down my way but I'm also discouraged by the general issues of the design itself no matter how cool they look. I've played them briefly and I like the sound of them, but the ergonomics are fairly dire. I have more pressing GAS issues anyway, I want another fretless and/or shortscale. For the fretless I'm pretty much going to have to order a Sire p5 or p7 I think. The shortscale I'm waiting on to see what demos come out on that Squire paranormal Rascal which is an interesting remake of the Fender original.

edit: LowendLobster has a beardless unboxing of the Rascal. Sounds a bit scooped with both pups, more P-ish with the neck. The bridge pup sounds quite meaty and usable, surprising. Could be divey due to the offset design.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 10, 2023

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Building a fretless J Bass and jumped into the deep end...

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

im doing some outdoor gigs this summer with a jazz trio kind of thing, and i basically need some sort of amp setup i can bring myself on public transport, and that's not gonna murder me walking uphill.

been looking at the markbass micro, markbass mini 121 and phil jones double 4. not digging how expensive the latter two are, but ill bite the bullet if i have to. thoughts? anything else i should consider?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

muike posted:

I went and did it and it is in amazing shape. I’m in love - maybe not with the flatwounds on it though. Seems Ricks usually ran 45-55-75-105s which I don’t have any stock of.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Sockington posted:

I went and did it and it is in amazing shape. I’m in love - maybe not with the flatwounds on it though. Seems Ricks usually ran 45-55-75-105s which I don’t have any stock of.

I wouldn’t put too much stock in those gauges, thats seems to be something that’s been repeated on the internet forever without much to back it up. Even if it’s true, without knowing the tensions those numbers or kind of meaningless, and actually using that combo of gauges is going to feel weird.

On my actual 4001s I use DR Hi-Beams 45-105, as they’re slightly lower tension than my usual Lo-Riders and the truss rods on my Rics are touchy. Does your Greco have a single or dual truss rod setup? If single I think they’re supposed to work like any normal bass so you’ll have a lot easier time adjusting it. Also, did they copy the 33.25” scale length, or is it the usual full 34”?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
It means nothing, but mine is strung up with whatever normal string set ends with 100 and it seems fine to me?

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Missed opportunity. Raise the hooks so headstocks kiss the ceiling.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Sockington posted:

check the truss rod to see if it's the old rick style just in case you gotta adjust it at some point in the future.

also just use whatever strings you want, i use the billy sheehan stainless rotosounds and tune mine to C

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

A couple of questions for you guys.

Any advice for a guitarist picking up bass? I've played the bass a little before but it was more of just following the guitar. I understand the fretboard and played classical guitar for years, so I have decent hand dexterity and strength. I'm just not sure where to pick up with it.

Second, does anyone have any opinions on the Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas basses?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What string height would y'all recommend as kind of a neutral starting point? I have my strings set at around 7/64ths" but I'm getting a lot of buzz. I think I might just go get a professional to do a full setup because I feel like I'm not doing this right. I set the relief on the neck as straight as I can tell and did the intonation and string height. I just can't stop this buzz between the 7th and 12th frets and it is driving me crazy.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Regarding learning bass coming from guitar, I focused a lot on right hand finger technique, building up stamina, and some basic string muting techniques when I was starting. I had no problem playing fast with a pick, but playing fast like the Iron Maiden dude took time to even get close. I also learned over time to accent what the drums were doing vs just playing the same thing as one of the guitarists.

Krustic fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 12, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Krustic posted:

. I also learned over time to accent what the drums were doing vs just playing the same thing as one of the guitarists.

To add to this, conceptually you're the bridge between the rhythm and harmony, and there's a lot of space to play around in there beyond just playing the roots of the chords in time with the kick. As always, the best advice here is to listen to some Motown bass likes and pay attention to the way Jameson adds to both by kind of bouncing between them.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Rectal Placenta posted:

Building a fretless J Bass and jumped into the deep end...

So the epoxy pour ended up surprisingly well, no bubbles or major leaks.

The next step was dealing with the giant slug of material... and noticing how out of level the table is. I dialed the whole setup in with a test indicator, so I was confident the neck and router were still aligned.

I did a second cleanup cut with the router then sanded and buffed leaving a thickness of ~1mm. I have no idea how I pulled this off successfully.

Bonus shot of horrible work space. It's like 90% assembled, but I'm still waiting for the nut blank and string tree.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
One of my favourite things on Japan Yahoo! are the customised instruments. Usually, it's just stickers or maybe a poo poo paintjob. Sometimes, it gets real special:

It's a Westone Concord I bass, made by Matsumoku, for those playing at home.

It's only $12 AUD at the moment (probably about $80-100 with shipping), so I'm kinda tempted...

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Will the saddles fall out if they've got no strings to hold them down?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Captain Splendid posted:

Will the saddles fall out if they've got no strings to hold them down?

Depends on the bridge.

Fender style bridges (like the one on the bass I just posted) the saddle is connected by the intonation screw to the base plate of the bridge.

On the other hand, the steinberger headless system, the saddles are loose and can you can knock them off if you're not careful when changing strings.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Kevin Bacon posted:

im doing some outdoor gigs this summer with a jazz trio kind of thing, and i basically need some sort of amp setup i can bring myself on public transport, and that's not gonna murder me walking uphill.

been looking at the markbass micro, markbass mini 121 and phil jones double 4. not digging how expensive the latter two are, but ill bite the bullet if i have to. thoughts? anything else i should consider?

I had the same question last year. The GK combo was recommended to me and I like it a lot. Its one of the higher priced combos, but you wont believe what it can do in that form factor. My normal rig is a db751 with a 4x10.

E: specifically https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Legacy212--gallien-krueger-legacy-212-2x12-inch-800-watt-ultra-light-bass-combo-amp

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Elissimpark posted:

One of my favourite things on Japan Yahoo! are the customised instruments. Usually, it's just stickers or maybe a poo poo paintjob. Sometimes, it gets real special:

Pino Pallacchio

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
im going down to the crossroads and asking the devil to make my rick a 35" bass instead of a 33.25 or whatever