Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

FishFood posted:

Yeah, it isn't AMG's fault. Even though I hate what they have done to X Wing, they were given a pretty impossible task when Asmodee dumped all of those games in their lap. I've heard Crisis Protocol is pretty good, but I could not care less about superheroes so it's a no go for me.

Yeah, I heard people rave about Marvel Crisis Protocol but the aesthetic never really did it for me. That's part of why I'm excited about Shatterpoint. And I played a ton of Warmachine Mk. II, so I've got a lot of respect for Will Shick as a designer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Asmodee may have dumped all the FFG games on AMG's lap, but AMG was asking for them to do it so that they could have the Star Wars license for Shatterpoint. X-wing and Armada (and to a lesser extent, Legion) are the casualties so that we can have the game AMG wanted to make.

I'll admit I don't know much about X-Wing and the problems they suffered, but from my best understanding Rapid Reinforcements had 0 playtesting, and was basically a "our contract says we have to put out an Armada release, so here we go." Based on the cards (Anakin and Draven in particular) it is doubtful that whoever designed them had any kind of understanding of Armada's rules.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The thing that really gets me about Shatterpoint is that it looks like it could easily have just been a PDF release explaining how to use our existing figures and tokens to play a new game, but instead it's a totally new and very expensive game with figures that don't scale with any previous FFG releases.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Afaict Shatterpoint was in development long before AMG got all the FFG games dumped on their lap and was designed to be "Crisis Protocol but Star Wars" rather than "Legion but Kill Team."

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Between Imperial Assault, Legion, and Shatterpoint there are now three sizes of FFG Star Wars toys.

Come on, people.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'd be fine with that if one of those sizes was 6mm and we got a clone wars massed battle system.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Arquinsiel posted:

I'd be fine with that if one of those sizes was 6mm and we got a clone wars massed battle system.

A land-based game in the same scale as X-Wing would rule so hard.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Cessna posted:

Between Imperial Assault, Legion, and Shatterpoint there are now three sizes of FFG Star Wars toys.

Come on, people.

Also, afaik there's almost no content from the newer movies. We have three different games and no official model for Kylo or Rey at the very least.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

jodai posted:

Also, afaik there's almost no content from the newer movies. We have three different games and no official model for Kylo or Rey at the very least.

I’m not for sure how you’d differentiate the rest of the sequel factions model-wise. The Resistance soldiers aren’t really different enough from Rebel soldiers , unless you did a ton more aliens (and alien operatives).

First Order might’ve been a touch easier, and a special faction rule could’ve been something like “Not Like the Simulations” where you’ve got like base courage 3, but instead of panicking at double that you just panic when you get that many suppression tokens (in Legion, at any rate).

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

That's a good point. I guess it would also add another timeline to deal with, which shatterpobt specifically shouts out in it's squad building but seems a little more nebulous in Legion.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Val Helmethead posted:

Asmodee may have dumped all the FFG games on AMG's lap, but AMG was asking for them to do it so that they could have the Star Wars license for Shatterpoint. X-wing and Armada (and to a lesser extent, Legion) are the casualties so that we can have the game AMG wanted to make.

I'll admit I don't know much about X-Wing and the problems they suffered, but from my best understanding Rapid Reinforcements had 0 playtesting, and was basically a "our contract says we have to put out an Armada release, so here we go." Based on the cards (Anakin and Draven in particular) it is doubtful that whoever designed them had any kind of understanding of Armada's rules.

This is the first time hearing that AMG requested the SW hand over. I don't mean to be rude, but where are you getting it from?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Afaict Shatterpoint was in development long before AMG got all the FFG games dumped on their lap and was designed to be "Crisis Protocol but Star Wars" rather than "Legion but Kill Team."
They did extend the olive branch with Legion: Kill Team: Spec Ops: the Beta Test. :thumbsup:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Honestly I suspect we'll see sequel stuff in Shatterpoint sooner rather than later, it's much more character focused and flexible in factions

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Based on the assembly diagrams, the miniatures don't look as frustrating as Crisis Protocol, so that's nice?

And while I am not very bright, the Atomic Mass Games website seems like a mess.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I've never built a Marvel Crisis Protocol mini, but the Shatterpoint models assembled quite easily, and they're intelligent about where the mold lines end up (still have to do a little cleanup, but on par with the newest GW sculpts, which is to say quite good).

I don't see any issues with the AMG website?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Muir posted:

I've never built a Marvel Crisis Protocol mini, but the Shatterpoint models assembled quite easily, and they're intelligent about where the mold lines end up (still have to do a little cleanup, but on par with the newest GW sculpts, which is to say quite good).

I don't see any issues with the AMG website?

I couldn't figure out if Shatterpoint was actually available yet from their website, but again, I'm not real bright!

Glad to hear the minis are nice. Also nivce that AMG put the rules up.
I should at least read them before I add it to my abandoned games pile.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Got my first game of Shatterpoint in today. The midgame dragged a bit, but otherwise I really enjoyed it. The emphasis on objective-holding and area control techniques like pushing reminded me in a good way of my beloved Warhammer Underworlds. Some of the synergies can really pile up between related units like Droids or Mandos.

Calhanol
Apr 27, 2010
A few years ago I didn't know about any of these games until my brother and his friend played an Imperial Assault campaign with me when I went to visit my parent a few years ago. Since then I bought the whole collection and finally paitning them. I wish it got extended more but it's seems like an impossibility unless you count the fan projects. Also seeing how the other brands are faring is a shame. I wish I knew of these games sooner.

At least tat Imperial Commander fan app adds a lot of solo replay ability to the game.

felked
Jul 4, 2023

Imperial Commander is great, my Imperial Assault campaign with my dad and brother is swapping to Imp Commander. I picked up a hero off their team (was playing empire), we refunded everyone’s xp and spent it and then went. The vibes in a co-op game are way better than competitive for our group.

felked fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 5, 2023

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Is this the thread to talk Star Wars Unlimited?

I've got little confidence in FFG to not poo poo the bed; especially post-private equity.

I don't love CCGs, but I hear the rationales. FFG claims they could never get draft / limited formats to work for their LCGs, and they wanted Unlimited to have first class draft support. LCGs sound great if you stay current. You can miss a month. But missing a lot means you're out of the loop and can struggle to get back in due to cost / out of print. (I missed a cycle from Netrunner and never really recovered until Null Signal.) Also, local stores vastly prefer CCGs to LCGs, and it seems like with a focus on Organized Play, limited, and multiplayer as a primary option, FFG is really taking a shot at Magic by going for the FLGS support. Maybe? I don't know, it's not really my jam. But with WotC's new focus on mass market retail and Amazon and Arena, I feel like FLGS is a way to take a shot at the king?

I don't really care about the art one way or the other. It's started to grow on me but I never had strong feelings about it.

Anyway, I was on vacation last week and had pent up energy when the kids went to bed, so I made this: https://www.swudb.com. Obvious inspiration is Scryfall, but it's nowhere near that in quality.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

CitizenKeen posted:

Is this the thread to talk Star Wars Unlimited?

I've got little confidence in FFG to not poo poo the bed; especially post-private equity.

I don't love CCGs, but I hear the rationales. FFG claims they could never get draft / limited formats to work for their LCGs, and they wanted Unlimited to have first class draft support. LCGs sound great if you stay current. You can miss a month. But missing a lot means you're out of the loop and can struggle to get back in due to cost / out of print. (I missed a cycle from Netrunner and never really recovered until Null Signal.) Also, local stores vastly prefer CCGs to LCGs, and it seems like with a focus on Organized Play, limited, and multiplayer as a primary option, FFG is really taking a shot at Magic by going for the FLGS support. Maybe? I don't know, it's not really my jam. But with WotC's new focus on mass market retail and Amazon and Arena, I feel like FLGS is a way to take a shot at the king?

I don't really care about the art one way or the other. It's started to grow on me but I never had strong feelings about it.

Anyway, I was on vacation last week and had pent up energy when the kids went to bed, so I made this: https://www.swudb.com. Obvious inspiration is Scryfall, but it's nowhere near that in quality.

Well, there are advantages in CCGs when it comes to longer term play and onramping new players as well. The big issue here is whether this is a big priority project for FFG or not. I’m a bit skeptical, the frames of the cards look cheap, the art looks low quality and the mechanics don’t seem inspired. The proof of any game is in the playing, but my initial impression is that this is a low budget project to pull in a healthy amount if revenue. I will keep track of it, might buy a starter or two to try it out but I’m wary of buying booster boxes for a game FFG may ditch in a year unless the gameplay is stunning.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Yikes, I hadn't seen the card art before. Very reminiscient of the magic knock-offs from the 90s.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I feel like the smart way to play CCGs is to try 'em out with a starter set, then if they're any good just save up and buy a couple of boxes of cards and organise them into a couple of playsets so you can draft or let friends build decks etc.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I have no sense if a game "looks cheap", but my confidence in FFG not being cheap is not high, so I believe ya'll.

If you look at some of the artist's portfolios, they look fantastic. The art seems pretty polarizing. FFG has stated they want the game to have a ton of variants and that alt-art should be the primary chase cards, that getting a deck of basic art cards should be reasonably affordable. So my theory is that the artists are hewing pretty close to the most neutral style guide imaginable, and then their alt-art will be cool.

Or maybe they're just not being paid very much.

We're (supposedly) going to see the first two variant alt-arts at GenCon, so maybe that'll be an indicator?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

The art seems fine to me. It's a very cartoon adventure style they're going for, and the art is consistent across the board.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Played in a shatterpoint tournament earlier today, my team was Vader, Obi, Magnaguard + Grievous, Jango, Fifth Brother. Went 1-2 and had a blast. Vader’s take 2 damage to add 3 dice to melee attacks feels pretty oppressive & Grievous is able to zip across the board blendering models off points. Also won the painting contest which I was not expecting at all.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

srypher posted:

Played in a shatterpoint tournament earlier today, my team was Vader, Obi, Magnaguard + Grievous, Jango, Fifth Brother. Went 1-2 and had a blast. Vader’s take 2 damage to add 3 dice to melee attacks feels pretty oppressive & Grievous is able to zip across the board blendering models off points. Also won the painting contest which I was not expecting at all.

Do the cover and line-of-sight rules start making more sense the more you play? Well done on the painting win!

Muir posted:

Got my first game of Shatterpoint in today. The midgame dragged a bit, but otherwise I really enjoyed it. The emphasis on objective-holding and area control techniques like pushing reminded me in a good way of my beloved Warhammer Underworlds. Some of the synergies can really pile up between related units like Droids or Mandos.

These look great, by the way.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Failson posted:

Do the cover and line-of-sight rules start making more sense the more you play? Well done on the painting win!

These look great, by the way.

Thanks!

The cover and LOS rules are definitely on the side of simple rather than realistic. I don't actually mind that, compared to a game like Kill Team, it makes the game smoother. But it does bring up some counterintuitive situations, like two models both on elevated terrain can have cover from each other just due to the terrain that they're standing on. Once you get used to those, and just apply the rules even if they don't make perfect physical sense, it's straightforward.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh that’s great! An “I have the high ground!” rule.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Painted up General Obi-Wan Kenobi from Star Wars Shatterpoint, getting my strike team ready for the tournament we're having at my local store in early September. Now I just have Mace Windu left to paint!

Edit: now I have both squads done for my strike team. I'm loving how the low model count lets me take time to push myself more in painting technique.

Muir fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 24, 2023

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Nicely done!

I just read that there's going to be a Naboo Queen's court set, and that's such an unusual choice, I have to get it. Also looks like fun to paint.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Muir posted:

Thanks!

The cover and LOS rules are definitely on the side of simple rather than realistic. I don't actually mind that, compared to a game like Kill Team, it makes the game smoother. But it does bring up some counterintuitive situations, like two models both on elevated terrain can have cover from each other just due to the terrain that they're standing on. Once you get used to those, and just apply the rules even if they don't make perfect physical sense, it's straightforward.

But you never get cover unless you have a hunker token.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I’m hoping we see some Star Wars visions characters show up in Shatterpoint. Would like to see a dueling set from the characters in the first Kurosawa influenced episode. I really like that they went with the Tartakovsky style for everything. It makes them look sleek and in motion like infinity minis

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Went ahead and bought the Shatterpoint starter. Having fun building the huge pile of terrain included. The box feels like a good value, all told.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

I’m hoping we see some Star Wars visions characters show up in Shatterpoint. Would like to see a dueling set from the characters in the first Kurosawa influenced episode. I really like that they went with the Tartakovsky style for everything. It makes them look sleek and in motion like infinity minis

I would love that. I found the Ronin amid a bunch of video game stuff on etsy in Shatterpoint scale. I bought a him and a Kylo Ren since the starter has two extra bases. I think they will make great proxies but I would love official stuff from Visions.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Was playing a lot of vader/grievous lists but since nightsisters have come out I’ve been playing only dathomirians. Talzin didn’t look amazing on paper but has been very impactful every game I’ve used her.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

NOVA Open Shatterpoint tournament results:
Saturday: https://www.longshanks.org/event/10634/
Sunday: https://shatterpoint.longshanks.org/event/10649/

Pretty good mix of different archetypes. Mandos seem to be the only real absence. Clones, droids, some Inquisitorius all showed up.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Heads up, coolstuffinc seems to have a flat 20% off sale on top of their reduced MSRP prices, so ~40% off for shatterpoint, legion, etc.

Got the starter and a couple boxes earlier than was originally planning because of it :getin:

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Hell yeah! Thanks for the heads up. Snagged some various operatives and a spider droid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Chill la Chill posted:

Heads up, coolstuffinc seems to have a flat 20% off sale on top of their reduced MSRP prices, so ~40% off for shatterpoint, legion, etc.

Got the starter and a couple boxes earlier than was originally planning because of it :getin:

Oooh, thank you! I grabbed the two squad boxes left. Padme's Princess Posse was on my list.