Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh poo poo I forgot Dune ends on a big cliffhanger. And they don’t film the next movie until a year ago lol so it was extra scary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dune was extra sad cause I could sit for hours watching that masterpiece. I hope they do showings of Dune 1 before the sequel. I'll sit for 6 hours. Easy. Let me piss between tho.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You can piss your pants like Paul does

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CelticPredator posted:

You can piss your pants like Paul does

Order a large popcorn and get your Souvenir Still Suits!

I'd do it

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Spice and piss, i love it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Captain Jesus posted:

The opening sequence with Gwen, while one of my favorite parts of the movie, could have been cut or dramatically abbreviated. Same with the Indian New York sequence - which would require some changes to the plot - but I can imagine it easily ( for example change it so it's Miles universe that is threatened by a change in the canon caused by Spot ).

Even if you remove those sequences, which I think are great and would undercut a lot of the characterisation and themes, that falls far short of cutting the length of the movie in half.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
My main problem is that there's too much time between the climax and the ending. I'd say the Earth-52 sequence goes on a bit long and the fakeouts take up a bit of time that gets a little predictable at that point if you can guess the dramatic irony.

CelticPredator posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot Dune ends on a big cliffhanger. And they don’t film the next movie until a year ago lol so it was extra scary

True, but it has the whole climactic duel right before at least.

Immediate cliffhanger endings are the kind of thing that work when the next episode is next week, or at least in a few months, not multiple years away.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I think it's hard to say how to fit the 2 parts into 1 without seeing part 2 but I do think they should have made the post-climax shorter than 20 minutes and not so drawn out.

Cut the part about Gwen meeting Miles' parents and the part about Miles' meeting his wrong mom and revealing he's Spiderman. They don't add much of anything to the movie. I would also shorten the whole sequence where he's talking to Aaron and they reveal the Prowler since the whole wrong universe thing should really be at the very end. I'm not sure of the best way how, but I would try to make the whole Aaron + Prowler + wrong universe reveal happen within the same scene which then leads into the credits. It's really weird to have the wrong universe reveal (let's pretend the earlier teleport thingy didn't happen) happen 10 minutes before the movie actually ends. The Prowler reveal loses a bit of its impact because if it's not Aaron, it's almost obviously going to be Miles so drawing it out doesn't really create any suspense.

efb lol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cut the venom cameo and Ben Reilly's introduction, nothing else.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I know anime movies are their own beast but the Evangelion movies have everything else beat for cliffhangers.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

You will only take Mumbattan and Pavitr Prabhakar from my cold dead hands.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Fangz posted:

Even if you remove those sequences, which I think are great and would undercut a lot of the characterisation and themes, that falls far short of cutting the length of the movie in half.

Well, i didn’t say it would cut the length in half. It would cut like 20 minutes. And I’m not saying they’re not great, but they would be easiest to remove while keeping the plot intact.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Electric Phantasm posted:

You will only take Mumbattan and Pavitr Prabhakar from my cold dead hands.

Wait who is suggesting to cut either of those things, they're some of the best parts of the movie, I'll fuckin fight about this, bring it on

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think the part with Mumbattan was even that long because they were like simultaneously talking and fighting the spot

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Macaluso posted:

Wait who is suggesting to cut either of those things, they're some of the best parts of the movie, I'll fuckin fight about this, bring it on

Captain Jesus posted:

The opening sequence with Gwen, while one of my favorite parts of the movie, could have been cut or dramatically abbreviated. Same with the Indian New York sequence - which would require some changes to the plot - but I can imagine it easily ( for example change it so it's Miles universe that is threatened by a change in the canon caused by Spot ).

Also this post is reminding me that Renaissance Vulture is the coolest poo poo, the whole movie is just the coolest poo poo in the world.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

My climax thought came down to I don't think I needed the bit of Gwen recruiting all the good Spideys, it seemed redundant to me and hurt the cliffhanger part.

But then when my partner saw it, her first words when she left the theater was the emotional wail "THEY'RE ALL GOING TO SAVE MILES!!!" so I immediately decided it ruled if it got that emotional reaction.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

koolkal posted:

I think it's hard to say how to fit the 2 parts into 1 without seeing part 2 but I do think they should have made the post-climax shorter than 20 minutes and not so drawn out.

Cut the part about Gwen meeting Miles' parents and the part about Miles' meeting his wrong mom and revealing he's Spiderman. They don't add much of anything to the movie. I would also shorten the whole sequence where he's talking to Aaron and they reveal the Prowler since the whole wrong universe thing should really be at the very end. I'm not sure of the best way how, but I would try to make the whole Aaron + Prowler + wrong universe reveal happen within the same scene which then leads into the credits. It's really weird to have the wrong universe reveal (let's pretend the earlier teleport thingy didn't happen) happen 10 minutes before the movie actually ends. The Prowler reveal loses a bit of its impact because if it's not Aaron, it's almost obviously going to be Miles so drawing it out doesn't really create any suspense.

efb lol

That scene with Gwen is one of my favorites in the movie, cut it and we got a problem.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I don't think any scene needed cut or anything, some could have been condensed down a little bit, but even then you'd only be saving 5 maybe 10 minutes of run time, so overall I don't think it would save that much.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I think the scene with Gwen talking to Miles parents was the most superfluous scene. We, the audience, already understand that she blames herself and aims to take responsibility. We probably didn't need the long scene of her dancing around how she's not from this universe so awkwardly, just to say she's gonna go do so.

It felt like a weirdly wasteful scene where she didn't really say anything particularly inspiring or interesting, just rambled.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

I think the scene with Gwen talking to Miles parents was the most superfluous scene. We, the audience, already understand that she blames herself and aims to take responsibility. We probably didn't need the long scene of her dancing around how she's not from this universe so awkwardly, just to say she's gonna go do so.

It felt like a weirdly wasteful scene where she didn't really say anything particularly inspiring or interesting, just rambled.

It's something she didn't have to do but was compelled to do out of reaponsibility because not only does she care about Miles, she cares about the people who also love Miles. I think it's a really telling moment for her character and how much confidence she's regaining in herself after being in what is pretty much an abusive mentorship relationship that broke her down. A good extra capstone to her arc.

Also gained her a modicum of respect from Rio which is pretty important.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 16, 2023

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Don't cut anything because the movie loving rules, you big babies.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Sharkopath posted:

Also gained her a modicum of respect from Rio which is pretty important.

She already had that modicum of respect though, Rio had already come around on her and acknowledged thst she didn't seem like a bad girl. If it was her gaining respect from family I'd probably file it as more useful. If anything though it kinds felt like her losing respect?

I dunno.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

they could cut ben reilly because it's the same joke as spider-noir but worst

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Mantis42 posted:

At the first showing I went to, someone yelled every yime Ben Reily was on screen.

Like YEAH SCARLET SPIDER!!! HELL YEAH ITS BEN THATS MY SPIDERMAN

so it clearly had value to someone, even if I personally just rolled my eyes at random emo spiderman

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

She already had that modicum of respect though, Rio had already come around on her and acknowledged thst she didn't seem like a bad girl. If it was her gaining respect from family I'd probably file it as more useful. If anything though it kinds felt like her losing respect?

I dunno.
No Rio just let Miles go after Gwen because she's struggling to let him follow his own heart and decided to give him a shot, she really didn't like Gwen that much. Her compliments are backhanded and she voices her displeasure to Jeff a bunch in the script.

The end of the scene is Rio realizing how much miles means to Gwen too and her giving a tentative blessing. I think it's useful and necessary as a scene just in the context of this movie but it is something that could pay bigger dividends based on what happens in the sequel.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 16, 2023

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Gwen/parents scene is the only one I'd say isnt that necessary, although it's nice as the "don't out people" allegory. But at that point, it's only a few extra minutes so it doesn't even matter.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

Ben's 90s edgy, which was a super huge period in comics that was never really represented on screen. Noir is something different. 90s was trying to encapsulate the over narration of Noir while being the worst parts of 90s grunge. He was possibly the funniest part of the whole movie because he was pitch perfect for that era.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The biggest fault of the movie is that Peter B isn’t in more of it. Ever since the first movie he's become my absolute favourite incarnation of Peter Parker and I want to see more of him. He was used well in Across and if my biggest complaint is I didn't see more of him it's all negligible to my enjoyment.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

immoral_ posted:

I don't think any scene needed cut or anything, some could have been condensed down a little bit, but even then you'd only be saving 5 maybe 10 minutes of run time, so overall I don't think it would save that much.

I was mainly finding ways to improve the last 10-15 minutes (which I thought was a bit weak), not to lower the runtime. I think the runtime is fine and there's a couple things I wish they had added, like a flashback to Hobie talking to Gwen's dad.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Imagine you're just a normal average cop going through a crisis of faith and family and some dude just walks out a super bright portal who looks like he is made of zine clippings and changes color every few seconds.

Terrifying!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Darko posted:

Ben's 90s edgy, which was a super huge period in comics that was never really represented on screen. Noir is something different. 90s was trying to encapsulate the over narration of Noir while being the worst parts of 90s grunge. He was possibly the funniest part of the whole movie because he was pitch perfect for that era.
Basically comics that imitated Watchmen in all the wrong ways

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Andy Samberg talking about his muscles through gritted teeth is a value add for any film.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Noir and Ben are going to fight but it'll be to out angst each other.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Hot take: People should stop being babies about cliffhangers. The movie was good. The previous movie was good. The sequel will very likely also be good. Just have some patience. You know, like an adult.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I support the writers strike and other strikes but I won't lie that the delay for the third movie will be painful.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Azubah posted:

Noir and Ben are going to fight but it'll be to out angst each other.

This is extra great because Andy Samberg is currently doing an impression of Nic Cage for Digman.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The cliffhanger ending is abrupt, but I thought it worked with the rest of the film. Absolutely nothing should have been cut, this is in fact a story that needs six hours to tell.

Not every movie needs to be six hours, or even two hours, but this one does and it uses all of it's time doing cool stuff I want to see.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The cliffhanger ending is abrupt, but I thought it worked with the rest of the film. Absolutely nothing should have been cut, this is in fact a story that needs six hours to tell.

Not every movie needs to be six hours, or even two hours, but this one does and it uses all of it's time doing cool stuff I want to see.

Right. A movie should be the length it needs to be.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/chuwenjie/status/1669741383853432832?s=61&t=-vp9P7i8Kl2W3uKiLPEWrA

Some nice insight into the Gwen and dad reconcile scene’s coloring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

koolkal posted:

efb lol

Miles meeting the wrong mom and revealing he's spiderman was, like, what the entire movie had been building up to. Finally having the courage to come out to his parents, combined with the reveal that he ended up in a spiderman-less universe. It'd be bizarre to cut that, imo. The part about Miles-42 being Prowler is what I would've cut if I had to, since it won't really matter until the next movie. But you could also just handle it super quick after the scene with the mom, I guess. Like, have Miles just immediately go back into his room and bump in Miles-42 or something, instead of drawing it out for so long.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 17, 2023