Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

.Ataraxia. posted:

This is the exact situation I'm in. Shockwave is so drat rare yet so necessary that it's just not worth the swap

Use helltides.com to run from event to event and open mystery chests, then gamble for totems, you’ll get one pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I wish ultimates were it's own skill slot. Kinda feels bad to have one skill slot on a 60 second cd.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Revitalized posted:

I wish ultimates were it's own skill slot. Kinda feels bad to have one skill slot on a 60 second cd.

Then don't slot it, that's the trade off.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

M. Night Skymall posted:

Use helltides.com to run from event to event and open mystery chests, then gamble for totems, you’ll get one pretty quick.

I'll give this a shot. Thank you!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Leadthumb posted:

Then don't slot it, that's the trade off.

That's why we're sad, because it's a bummer that "flashy fun ultimate skill" is often not part of the most effective way to kill dudes and earn loot. So now the neurotic min maxers either miss out on fun, or miss out on efficacy.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I never got the appeal of seasons, but I'm trying to open my mind to it. Part of the enjoyment of D2 for me was trying to get more powerful, but I was a kid with unlimited free time so doing Pindle/Baal runs for hours was a good time. The only way to "win" Diablo is get a maxed out character with perfect rolls on all gear, right? Now I'm starting to look forward to an excuse to not click the same six skills forever.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Devor posted:

That's why we're sad

You can say that again!

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Devor posted:

That's why we're sad, because it's a bummer that "flashy fun ultimate skill" is often not part of the most effective way to kill dudes and earn loot. So now the neurotic min maxers either miss out on fun, or miss out on efficacy.

Pretty much this.

Obviously I have to make a decision on my build at the end of the day but like, it's really just a feelsbad kinda moment.

Anyways, while we're on the topic of ultimates, does anyone use Call of the Ancients on barb? I seem to remember it was a pretty garbage skill in D2 and D3. Is this still the case?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

flashman posted:

I have to ask., what is the point of a season in this? Just another race to 100 or? I get ladder d2 wipe once a year or w.e but what is the point to start over again now in three weeks time?

I still, to this day, have no loving clue what Diablo 2 "ladders" were. Google was surprisingly unhelpful for information I'd expect to be ubiquitous. Diablo 3 seasons were, effectively, greater rift leaderboards. You patch the game with changes, reset the high scores, and the whole point is running it again (with new changes/gimmicks) to get your highest rift/best time. That rift/time was the competition angle. What the hell did you compete on in D2? Related question: what the hell do you compete on in D4?

I assume at some point the creative geniuses will move on to other projects and sane people will replace them and we'll get good seasons here. I just don't see nightmare dungeons, as they stand, being a metric for competition.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

There are supposed to be unique quests in seasons, kind of like with Destiny or something, but we'll have to wait and see how extensive that ends up being.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Revitalized posted:

Pretty much this.

Obviously I have to make a decision on my build at the end of the day but like, it's really just a feelsbad kinda moment.

Anyways, while we're on the topic of ultimates, does anyone use Call of the Ancients on barb? I seem to remember it was a pretty garbage skill in D2 and D3. Is this still the case?

I used it for a long time on my hota barb before switching to wrath. Honestly I don't really notice a huge difference. the free fury from call was nice.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

An ultimate wouldn't really be an ultimate if it had no cooldown or whatever I feel like....

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
so I'm still adjusting to how starts work in this game because its reasonably different to both d2 and d3 but because "all stats" wasn't a thing in d3 it kind of feels like I might be overvaluing it just because of how strong an affix it was in D2. If I'm looking at fairly substantial increases in armor/damage on a weapon/clothing is +23 all stat worth keeping over that or nah

also is it better to just smash through the campaign on world tier 1 if I'm struggling but making progress eventually? I keep thinking there might be a better tier of gear from WT2 but I haven't really seen much to justify that and it takes a while to get past some of the bosses

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 17, 2023

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Is it generally better to really milk a paragon board before adding a tile? Or is just build-dependent?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Mailer posted:

I still, to this day, have no loving clue what Diablo 2 "ladders" were. Google was surprisingly unhelpful for information I'd expect to be ubiquitous. Diablo 3 seasons were, effectively, greater rift leaderboards. You patch the game with changes, reset the high scores, and the whole point is running it again (with new changes/gimmicks) to get your highest rift/best time. That rift/time was the competition angle. What the hell did you compete on in D2? Related question: what the hell do you compete on in D4?

I assume at some point the creative geniuses will move on to other projects and sane people will replace them and we'll get good seasons here. I just don't see nightmare dungeons, as they stand, being a metric for competition.

Ladders in D2 tracked the highest level character of a given class, as well as tracking the highest level overall. In D2, you weren't really expected to hit level 99, and probably most hardcore players got a character into the 80s at highest.

I like that D4 has sort of the same thing, where you aren'y expected to get a character to level cap before you can meaningfully engage in the end game.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
2h sword unique drops on my barb but it's the wrong one aaaaaaa

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

LifeLynx posted:

I never got the appeal of seasons, but I'm trying to open my mind to it.

New mechanics. Otherwise it's just a boring ladder reset.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

so I'm still adjusting to how starts work in this game because its reasonably different to both d2 and d3 but because "all stats" wasn't a thing in d3 it kind of feels like I might be overvaluing it just because of how strong an affix it was in D2. If I'm looking at fairly substantial increases in armor/damage on a weapon/clothing is +23 all stat worth keeping over that or nah

also is it better to just smash through the campaign on world tier 1 if I'm struggling but making progress eventually? I keep thinking there might be a better tier of gear from WT2 but I haven't really seen much to justify that and it takes a while to get past some of the bosses

Your second question means your first is pointless, if you're struggling in WT1 then you need to read the highlighted words in your skills and items and just finish the campaign first because this game is brain dead easy and requires zero in depth equipment thought before the campaign is over and you've moved to WT3

And maybe not even then really

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

I never got the appeal of seasons, but I'm trying to open my mind to it. Part of the enjoyment of D2 for me was trying to get more powerful, but I was a kid with unlimited free time so doing Pindle/Baal runs for hours was a good time. The only way to "win" Diablo is get a maxed out character with perfect rolls on all gear, right? Now I'm starting to look forward to an excuse to not click the same six skills forever.

In PoE, leagues are fun because of the new mechanics (which standard typically doesn't get until after the league is over, and sometimes not even then) and the fact that 95% of the players are also playing league, which helps if you play trade. Oh, and a lot of people usually take it as an opportunity to play a new build(s) they haven't tried before. I'm interested to see what the D4 team is offering up for its first season!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Clocks posted:

In PoE, leagues are fun because of the new mechanics (which standard typically doesn't get until after the league is over, and sometimes not even then) and the fact that 95% of the players are also playing league, which helps if you play trade. Oh, and a lot of people usually take it as an opportunity to play a new build(s) they haven't tried before. I'm interested to see what the D4 team is offering up for its first season!

Yeah in my mind they were just "do it over" but if it's actually new stuff then I'm in.

I'm still sore about playing D2R recently non-ladder and not knowing certain new runewords were ladder-only before I wasted good runes, but that's in the past.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
OK, my number one newbie tip:

Get boots with the highest unconditional movespeed you can, then UPGRADE them. I had my bf upgrade the 5.5% movespeed boots he had on and they became like 12.5% because they hit some item power breakpoint in addition to the movespeed scaling somewhat. It really helps to haul rear end through dungeons. A wise streamer once said "EVERYTHING scales from movespeed"

Clocks posted:

Yeah PoE leagues introduce new content, sometimes rework the entire endgame, add entirely new skills to use, they had one awesome league where every single Unique got a bizarro version called "Replicas" which enabled dozens of new builds out of nowhere. I would be impressed if Blizzard can do half as much each season as GGG.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

satanic splash-back posted:

Your second question means your first is pointless, if you're struggling in WT1 then you need to read the highlighted words in your skills and items and just finish the campaign first because this game is brain dead easy and requires zero in depth equipment thought before the campaign is over and you've moved to WT3

And maybe not even then really

I meant I'm struggling in WT2, WT1 is easy enough. Anyway it seems like the first question is more important if I'm struggling, not less important.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

An ultimate wouldn't really be an ultimate if it had no cooldown or whatever I feel like....

The cooldown is fine, it's the idea that you throw away a regular skill for it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think I'm pretty much done for season 0 because sorc feels worse the more I level and I don't want to burn out making alts, or in general, before season 1. I don't know how interesting seasons are going to end up being or if I'll bother doing a whole lot of them, but I do want to give this one a fair shot.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah PoE leagues introduce new content, sometimes rework the entire endgame, add entirely new skills to use, they had one awesome league where every single Unique got a bizarro version called "Replicas" which enabled dozens of new builds out of nowhere. I would be impressed if Blizzard can do half as much each season as GGG.
Well, blizzard said they plan to do seasons more seriously this time around. Whether or not their ambitions will materialize has yet to be seen. They said this in one of their quarterly updates.

"The scale of Diablo IV Seasons is much more ambitious than what we've done in the past on Diablo III, with a large development team dedicated to Seasons after launch. Diablo IV will be supported by an army of developers for years to come. With all the exciting plans we have for Seasons, we want them to be enjoyed by everyone, regardless of whether they buy anything from the shop. I’m grateful for the opportunity to finally share more with the community about our live service model."

From https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23816415/diablo-iv-quarterly-update-august-2022

Hopefully they do manage to make some legitimately interesting seasons. I know I've mostly tapped out for the moment to wait for season 1. I played a bit and saw the game, but they seem to be treating it more like a beta right now with their balancing hotfixes. With any luck they will be a bit more stable for the first season.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
oops let me fix my post

when you upgrade you have a chance to reroll the range of stats on your item. this happens when you upgrade beyond a certain item level or "breakpoint"
you should be able to see if this is happening in the preview window, so be careful if you find an already high movespeed item

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 17, 2023

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Been running sorc and not sure which drop is more interesting to go with:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I tried builds without ultimates for levelling but it just feels so much more fun to have that big splashy ability. I love blood wave

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Been running sorc and not sure which drop is more interesting to go with:

That looks like poo poo because you should always be running around like Forrest Gump making GBS threads firewalls and kiting bosses around a pillar

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Asproigerosis posted:

2h sword unique drops on my barb but it's the wrong one aaaaaaa

i have had 7 of these drop so far. that’s my reaction every time

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

if they can put out poe quality seasons every 3 months then that would be pretty nice

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

honestly they just need to add renown as a reward for a few other activities and I'll have zero issue with redoing it. Put some as reward for world events, helltides, pvp and some as part of the season journey and it will just come naturally.

Having to redo a bunch of "collect ten bear asses" and pixel hunt sidequests will just be tedious though. I'm currently trying to finish off Hawezar and some of the quests here are boring as hell.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Schwawa posted:

Having to redo a bunch of "collect ten bear asses" and pixel hunt sidequests will just be tedious though. I'm currently trying to finish off Hawezar and some of the quests here are boring as hell.
Why not just wait until season 1 to do that stuff then? I know I sure as gently caress am not going to worry about sidequest rep right now, since we know it doesn't carry over. I'll log back in at some point to collect the Lilith statues since they verified those will stay, but that is it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

paid money to post posted:

when you upgrade you essentially reroll the stats on the item, so you can take a perfect high roll and destroy it to be the minimum

Any upgrade or just upgrades that pass a breakpoint?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

If I'm reading various summaries of the stream correctly, it sounds like you'll get all the altar and map renown automatically if you've already done them, but your dungeons/strongholds/side quests will be reset?

That doesn't sound so bad tbh. I had done most of the strongholds and a good chunk of the dungeons by the time I reached tier 4 in most of the regions, so I really did just have to grind out a lot of side quests. If we're going to start already at tier 2-3 with all the strongholds and dungeons left to go, it should make the rest significantly faster. Especially once icy veins or whoever puts together the list of side quests that send you to dungeons so you can double dip.

Have they said whether your codex is going to carry over? I assume not and that we'll have to unlock aspects again each season.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Filthy Monkey posted:

Why not just wait until season 1 to do that stuff then? I know I sure as gently caress am not going to worry about sidequest rep right now, since we know it doesn't carry over. I'll log back in at some point to collect the Lilith statues since they verified those will stay, but that is it.

because I want to play the game now and not in 4-6 weeks? And those extra four paragon points are pretty significant

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

LifeLynx posted:

The only way to "win" Diablo is get a maxed out character with perfect rolls on all gear, right?

The only winning move is not to play.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
you win by playing a character that is fun

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

you win by playing a character that is fun

So what’s actually fun in WT4 because Sorc isn’t it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

zoux posted:

Any upgrade or just upgrades that pass a breakpoint?

nevermind me i'm a dumbass. if i'm understanding now, it's a chance to reroll whenever it surpasses a breakpoint

i misread some post last night after i destroyed a perfect roll. i was power slamming UPGRADE without checking the preview window