Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Drivers are expected to drive forward at high speeds and ignore any signals to stop doing so, checks out.

On an unrelated note, where did you get an Old Church Slavonic gang tag?

not sure, i think twoday gave it to me during their moderation tenure years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

:thumbsup:

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

that's not aero

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Sphyre posted:

that's not aero

But it is Hero

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

mawarannahr posted:

most folks I know in Seattle have had their bikes stolen multiple times. I can't imagine dropping more than like $400-500. I just walk cause I'm scared of getting run over.

when I lived along Burke Gilman and limebikes were reasonably priced thanks to competition and low interest rates I would use those quite often. it was nice not to worry about leaving the bike somewhere and being able to return by bus, walking etc.

I have free bike parking available in the parking garage at my office downtown but I'm so close to Seattle Skid Row that even with onsite security, any bike even one worth $0 would be stolen before the end of the week. I'm thinking about getting a folding bike to store under my desk instead.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Lacrosse posted:

I have free bike parking available in the parking garage at my office downtown but I'm so close to Seattle Skid Row that even with onsite security, any bike even one worth $0 would be stolen before the end of the week. I'm thinking about getting a folding bike to store under my desk instead.

Do it!

Apr 7, 2003

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Sphyre posted:

that's not aero
My concern is that it would fall forward if you get down in the drops. Messenger bags with the same shoulder-strap situation have that problem. I think bike gun racks would make more sense.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

The reason I don't is I don't really have a need for a bicycle downtown. My walk to and from the bus stop is only 5 minutes on each end of my commute, and the last bus home for my route is at 6pm so I can't bike around the city after work. I can only see needing it to ride 4 blocks up to the grocery store during my lunch break for the 2 months a year the weather is pleasant enough to ride in (not rainy/smoky). I guess I'd be better off just having a helmet in my office so I can take a Lime bike but oof those things are expensive to rent.

I'm trying to enjoy biking around at home but I live on a giant loving hill and looking at suburban houses the entire ride isn't particularly interesting. Unfortunately the closest paved bike path is 3 miles away (50mph highway with no bike lane) and at the bottom of my 500 ft hill.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

cat botherer posted:

My concern is that it would fall forward if you get down in the drops. Messenger bags with the same shoulder-strap situation have that problem. I think bike gun racks would make more sense.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

hahahaaaaa

https://twitter.com/bidentracking/status/1669494843482021896

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Ardennes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS_gta2sIcU

A really pretty interesting talk about the horror of redlining/highway construction in the US; it certainly could be called borderline, if not outright, ethnic/racial cleansing.

I intellectually knew this poo poo went on, but the way this is layed out with the before and after photos street and satellite photos really brings it home.

Very upsetting and very much worth watching.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
:blessed:

Apr 7, 2003

Ham Equity posted:

I intellectually knew this poo poo went on, but the way this is layed out with the before and after photos street and satellite photos really brings it home.

It wasn't just roads either, Pittsburgh deliberately destroyed a black neighborhood in the 1960s through eminent domain to build a hockey arena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdOyzwjYM0A&t=1021s

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It wasn't just roads either, Pittsburgh deliberately destroyed a black neighborhood in the 1960s through eminent domain to build a hockey arena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdOyzwjYM0A&t=1021s
The other video goes into a couple of places where they tore down houses and built literally nothing, and over place where they tore down a church run by a pastor who was a civil rights leader, eminent domain'd his mother's house for well below market value, and replaced it with a parking lot and a police department.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The shot of half of central Boston just completely being bulldozed as well, I didn’t realize the West End (where Leonard Nimitz grew up) was that big and they just flattened it completely.

It is pretty much just a litany of stuff like that and that is like 5% of the cities that are going to be covered.

https://dsl.richmond.edu/panorama/redlining/#loc=11/41.693/-87.685&city=chicago-il&area=B120&adviewer=sidebar

This redlining data base Is just as eye opening, I recommend you go across neighborhoods around various parts of the country and see the comments being made.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Ardennes posted:

A really pretty interesting talk about the horror of redlining/highway construction in the US; it certainly could be called borderline, if not outright, ethnic/racial cleansing.

I reflect a little bit each time I go for a bike ride how we tore down hundreds of thousands of homes to build all this wretchedness, but it takes my city 15 years to put a bikeable sidewalk within breathing distance of those same roads.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Ardennes posted:

giving another shoutout to The Color of Law as a great read

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

larper posted:

I reflect a little bit each time I go for a bike ride how we tore down hundreds of thousands of homes to build all this wretchedness, but it takes my city 15 years to put a bikeable sidewalk within breathing distance of those same roads.

I moved back to my hometown (suburb south of Seattle) recently and was reading the local paper when I saw an article mentioning the city hosting a community input day for the new revitalized downtown project. I checked out their slide deck and was amazed at what they are doing for pedestrian and cyclist access in the downtown core, but got depressed when I thought about how I'll probably be dead of old age before any of this gets built. Also there's no way for me to get from the top of the hill where I live down to the valley without either driving or sharing the road on a bicycle with 50mph traffic and here's no bus service in my area that goes there. There's a plan to build a shared use trail down the hill to meet up with a local bike connector but there's no timeline on that project, I don't know if they've even acquired the land needed to build it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://twitter.com/ericacbarnett/status/1669772423447871488?s=20

jesus loving christ. he just obliterated her.

She had a walk light, he ran the red.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/BBQpancakes/status/1669792154309509120

But think of the educational value of the potentially entirely made up circumstances of this tragic death.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's unfortunate, but the cop just really needed to go assassinate someone who called an ambulance ASAP

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

hard to believe that cop was responding to an overdose considering it took them the better part of an hour last time I called one in and I still had to tell the meathead in charge what they were even doing there when they finally did

larper
Apr 9, 2019
I have noticed that since musk took over twitter it seems the top comment on such posts is usually an outlandishly inhumane and snide comment about how they deserved it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

eXXon posted:

https://twitter.com/BBQpancakes/status/1669792154309509120

But think of the educational value of the potentially entirely made up circumstances of this tragic death.

Clearly cars should be LOUDER so they can be heard even more over noise cancelling headphones.

:shepicide:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Man I don't think the death penalty should exist, but I might waver in this belief if it were exclusively used on cops

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

someone should do a documentary on this concrete blight. i can't imagine how people without a car even access it.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 04:13 on Jun 17, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

RadiRoot posted:

someone should do a documentary on this concrete blight. i can't imagine how people without a car even access it.

They don’t, that’s the idea!

I even have a car and Cant often figure out how to access it.

Whatever robert Moses did to nyc he did it seven times to Albany it’s an incredibly blighted city

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Baltimore has giant scars across it meant to divide. Our governor cancelled the light rail expansion that would connect east and west and funneled that money to rural highways. I know why we elected a republican and I loving hate liberals

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Whatever robert Moses did to nyc he did it seven times to Albany it’s an incredibly blighted city

i had to drive to that egg shaped building for a show years ago and that alone was enough to drive me insane. thankfully there was a pub to escape to in the older part of town afterwards.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

RadiRoot posted:

i had to drive to that egg shaped building for a show years ago and that alone was enough to drive me insane. thankfully there was a pub to escape to in the older part of town afterwards.

yeah it’s double sad because without all that poo poo and carbrained redlining, Albany would actually loving own, there’s so many cool people there!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

normal/humane brain: kid killed! oh no!
car/property brain: and whats worse, someone used his ebike rental afterwards without paying!

Someone steals bike of teen cyclist killed in Manhattan truck crash https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/someone-steals-bike-of-teen-cyclist-killed-in-manhattan-truck-crash/4430123/

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Gunshow Poophole posted:

throw le corbussier in the fire too while we're at it he was a carbrained idiot and at least fash-curious

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Xaris posted:

what the gently caress, how are there 200 crashes a day. isnt nyc mostly traffic gridlocked and can rarely go above 20 anyways??

lmao no the entirety of NYC is not manhattan.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Gunshow Poophole posted:

It is why the whole thing about American liberalism having no internal ideology is ify, a system doesn't develop and do the amount of damage that happened through redlining/highway construction/urban renewal without something powering it.

Modernism (and brutalism) wouldn't have happened like it did without Le Corbusier but I don't think he is really at the root of the issue. I could see people not being the greatest fan of his work, but it isn't really the heart of it. You have brutalist structures in Europe/former Soviet Union that are still integrated with a community and public transportation, perhaps they are an eye sore, but it isn't the same scale of open destruction and bleakness that dominated the flattening of America's urban cores.

quote:

Almost none of the other buildings planned for Berlin were ever built. Berlin was to be reorganised along a central 5-kilometre-long (3 mi) boulevard known as the Prachtallee ("Avenue/Boulevard of Splendor(s)"). This would run south from a crossroads with the East-West Axis close to the Brandenburg Gate, following the course of the old Siegesallee through the Tiergarten before continuing down to an area just west of Tempelhof Airport. This new North-South Axis would have served as a parade ground, and have been closed off to traffic. Vehicles would have instead been diverted into an underground highway running directly underneath the parade route; sections of this highway's tunnel structure were built, and still exist today. No work was ever begun above ground although Speer did relocate the Siegesallee to another part of the Tiergarten in 1938 in preparation for the avenue's construction.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:53 on Jun 17, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
exactly, I’m legit fine with the building and lots of cool brutalist stuff in a vacuum. go nuts, become one with the concrete idc

but the carving and slicing of a really diverse and interesting city into a depressing and oppressive shithole makes me mad as heck. I’m not even there that often but I dread going

oh I forgot to mention yesterday: David Banks, author of The City Authentic, is from Troy (Albany suburb) and did the podcast circuit about a month ago, he has lots of thoughts along these lines and real estate capitalism.

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 16:16 on Jun 17, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
anyway I’m gonna go RIDE MY BIKE to WORK and try not to DIE BY CAR

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dont count your cycles until theyve crashed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yeah it’s double sad because without all that poo poo and carbrained redlining, Albany would actually loving own, there’s so many cool people there!

Albany is actually trash.

Troy is ok.