Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kedo posted:

I mean, making it at least partially a survival game seems on point for a game set on Arrakis, but there drat well better be more to it than just that.

However a true survival MMO would be a new direction for the genre. I'm not talking survival-lite (eg. New World), but a straight up "if you don't drink water you die," type survival game. I'm not sure how it'd sit with your average "I care about my parses" MMO player, but survival games are a pretty huge market these days. The two genres scratch a very similar itch for me.

I'd say a proper Dune MMO it wouldn't just be set on Arrakis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

kedo posted:

I mean, making it at least partially a survival game seems on point for a game set on Arrakis, but there drat well better be more to it than just that.

However a true survival MMO would be a new direction for the genre. I'm not talking survival-lite (eg. New World), but a straight up "if you don't drink water you die," type survival game. I'm not sure how it'd sit with your average "I care about my parses" MMO player, but survival games are a pretty huge market these days. The two genres scratch a very similar itch for me.

Imo the largest issue with something like this is the fact that it's a persistent world. Most hard-core survival games simply pause when you quit the game, but in an MMO your character still "exists" even when you aren't logged in. Even if you abstract that out where it is "oh the player just drinks and eats offscreen when you are offline then when you log in you are exactly as dehydrated as when you left" you still have issues like food spoilage/production.

If they wanted to go to that extent they'd have to make it so that you can get entirely refreshed in town for free and therefore logging off in town is okay while everywhere else you have X real life hours til you die. Otherwise it would be "oh poo poo I'm low on water, hey bro drive out to me with some water, I'll just log off to preserve what I have til you get here".

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Groovelord Neato posted:

I am a desert creature.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

DuneMUD's been running for over 30 years if you want a proper Dune MMO

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
fetch me 20 worm asses

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
no, those were young worms

you need mature worms

also stay away from the elder worms

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Every time there is a big advertised expansion for EVE online I think about trying it again, and every time I know it's going to be the same cycle

- Log in, wow what a wonderful world to explore. Ah, I don't have anything because I was kicked out of goonswarm for inactivity and all my poo poo is still in their hangars.

- Putter around, get bored of doing random quests

- Rejoin goonswarm for the tenth time because big guilds are where it's at for 99% of the game's systems.

- Get immediately overwhelmed with fifty different overlapping layers of stuff

- Quit for two years

E. Although apparently Goonswarm is gone now? That's quite a twist.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 14, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/magic2master/status/1668542913104445445

lol and lmao

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Personally I find the best way to raise money for a project is to say that it doesn't matter if you don't pay.

Would be great to see what a $100 budget mmo looks like though

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Personally I find the best way to raise money for a project is to say that it doesn't matter if you don't pay.

Would be great to see what a $100 budget mmo looks like though

Also really works great making vague allusions to wrongdoing bu your detractors, really makes the operation look 100% above board

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
WAY wrong thread. Hope you at least got some lols

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 14, 2023

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Did you mean to post that in the “UFOs are real” thread?

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

bob lazar is my favorite mmorpg to play

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kevin Bacon posted:

bob lazar is my favorite mmorpg to play

The Secret World built with modern tools and a competent dev team would be killer, ngl.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

The Secret World is still top 3 MMOs for me and if it had continued to get support and new content I think it might be number 1 but it's a drat close call

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
The setting and art direction was badass. Don't know why I found myself getting bored with it so quickly...

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Incredulous Dylan posted:

The setting and art direction was badass. Don't know why I found myself getting bored with it so quickly...

I remember absolutely hating the combat. Kind of like ESO.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I remember absolutely hating the combat. Kind of like ESO.

Yeah the combat was pretty repetitive and you didn't get a lot of slotted abilities. Guild Wars had something similar but combat felt more fluid and active to make up for it.

Also the classes made no sense. I want to say that the healing build I made required me to take a shotgun? How about a magic first aid kit instead?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah the combat was extremely rear end but everything else about it was cool. I burned out pretty hard after the first zone though, I got to the desert like 40 hours in and was just Donezo.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah the combat was extremely rear end but everything else about it was cool. I burned out pretty hard after the first zone though, I got to the desert like 40 hours in and was just Donezo.

The desert was what killed it for me too. Up until that point there was a lot of cool modern fantasy/horror stories and puzzles to go through. Then you hit the mummies and pyramids level and it immediately puts you to sleep.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

the lol's and lmao's continue
https://twitter.com/MassivelyOP/status/1669322689482301440

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ah no way, an NFT project that used stolen assets, what a shock

fuckin' lmao

EDIT: I would also like to add, lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It turns out this is the game Metin2, and in fact it gets even better; these guys were originally sued for stealing this game and claiming it for their own. They owe $600,000 from a lawsuit, and then they went and stole it again, which is what Magic to Master is. Also, ALSO, they have stolen assets from other games.... ONE OF THEM IS A CHARACTER FROM A DWAYNE "THE ROCK" JOHNSON VIDEO GAME. Its covered over here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbM0vW4iutI

This whole thing is completely loving wild. I am floored by how nuts this whole thing is.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Nobody would expect someone to steal the same thing twice.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Nobody would expect someone to steal the same thing twice.

Double jeopardy, baby! They'll get away scot free!!!

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Stealing from Metin2 is a particularly ambitious choice because the assets are ancient but it's also a pretty popular low-spec MMO so someone is going to immediately notice

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Man this turned out so much better than just “lol they made up testimonials on their kickstarter”.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Tupile could've been the player housing planet.

E:

Or the premium account housing planet.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

I am completely stunned that someone would be willing to use any of the assets in the screenshot in their game, let alone attempt to steal them.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Idk, that plate bra is strangely mesmerizing to look at :stare:

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I installed Neverwinter and played it for about 20 minutes yesterday. That is the most generic, boring MMO I have ever played with the worst feeling combat.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Neverwinter use to be way better back in the day. But its been surpassed by a lot of other MMORPGs since then, and now you have to spend like $5000 on the cash shop to get caught up with the rest of the playerbase still remaining.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

I said come in! posted:

It turns out this is the game Metin2, and in fact it gets even better; these guys were originally sued for stealing this game and claiming it for their own. They owe $600,000 from a lawsuit, and then they went and stole it again, which is what Magic to Master is. Also, ALSO, they have stolen assets from other games.... ONE OF THEM IS A CHARACTER FROM A DWAYNE "THE ROCK" JOHNSON VIDEO GAME. Its covered over here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbM0vW4iutI

This whole thing is completely loving wild. I am floored by how nuts this whole thing is.

I thought there would never be a good MMO ever again. I was wrong.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

2 magic 2 master

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Pretty excellent video. I hope this guy keeps following the saga and making more videos.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

idk if anyone here is excited for palia but it's going to be on switch as well

https://palia.com/news/nintendo-switch-release

i played one of the alpha tests and it's looking like a decent mmo cozy game type thing. if that's your thing.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Grow and evolve, or RIP in piss

https://twitter.com/bioware/status/1673723288152068096?s=46&t=PGSJnoB5wVhiFVMWNiYl2w

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Broadsword manages Ultima Online, and Dark Age of Camelot, and they do absolutely nothing with those two games other than keep them online. I wish Old Republic could be made into an offline RPG.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I know a bunch of the SWTOR devs moved to the Broadsword team so there's at least some amount of life still in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
According to the comments, there is someone they are retaining as "Narrative Director" so that would seem to imply they plan on more story updates. Or maybe it's someone's cousin that gets a sweet title and a bunch of money to do nothing.