Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
If anything it should have cut to "And This Is A Cliffhanger" right as Miles-Prowler's silhouette appeared on screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

immoral_ posted:

If anything it should have cut to "And This Is A Cliffhanger" right as Miles-Prowler's silhouette appeared on screen

Add The Prowler sound as it cuts to black too

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The fast x cliffhanger is a lot worse lol. You know there is no way any of those dudes end up dead except John cena 's character in a tiresome heroic sacrifice earlier on but it depends on his contract

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Everyone is pissed off about the cliffhanger now but I guarantee you no one will care the second Beyond comes out

Also Infinity War ended on one of the most hilarious cliffhangers how are we forgetting this

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Japanese exclusive song for the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A0ICz6rVvU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sharkopath posted:

It's something she didn't have to do but was compelled to do out of reaponsibility because not only does she care about Miles, she cares about the people who also love Miles. I think it's a really telling moment for her character and how much confidence she's regaining in herself after being in what is pretty much an abusive mentorship relationship that broke her down. A good extra capstone to her arc.

Also gained her a modicum of respect from Rio which is pretty important.

Also one of the few cases where we get a dimensional traveller interacting with someone other than their local Spider-person, which I feel is a bit of significance. Especially given the focus on Gwen's own isolation and family issues. And says a fair bit about the characters imo; that Gwen is awkward around them because she's been spending long enough going all lone antihero that her social skills have deteriorated, but she makes a good impression anyway because she's earnest and clearly able to relax a little, and Miles' parents are good judges of character who recognise her as a good person who's working through some poo poo, and Miles is being a good influence on her. They may not have the full context of what's going on but the emotional dynamics are clear.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

One of my favourite moments of the film is when Miles' parents meet Gwen and are suddenly like "ohhhhhhh", and they write off all his secrecy and weird behaviour as him having a first crush/girlfriend and not knowing how to deal with it. It's such a neat character beat.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I cannot believe Miles Prowler is cannon. If he has two braids Im not sure I can handle it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

One of my favourite moments of the film is when Miles' parents meet Gwen and are suddenly like "ohhhhhhh", and they write off all his secrecy and weird behaviour as him having a first crush/girlfriend and not knowing how to deal with it. It's such a neat character beat.

And while they obviously don't have all the context, their reactions aren't exactly wrong.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

And yes I now know how to say "what the gently caress???" In japanese after the "to be continued" popped up on screen and the audience couldnt stop themselves.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Barudak posted:

I cannot believe Miles Prowler is cannon. If he has two braids Im not sure I can handle it

Miles "Braids" Prowler

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

mcmagic posted:

This movie was a whole lot of fun and I really liked the whole vibe but should they really need 6 hours to tell this story?

I dunno it woked for the Hobbit.

Oh wait.

I swear, though, even if the story sucked rear end I could still watch 6 hours of this stuff

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

You think anyone suggest that Miguel should see the Spider-Therapist?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Naw, he seems to be coping well

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Electric Phantasm posted:

You think anyone suggest that Miguel should see the Spider-Therapist?

Look me in the eyes and tell me that you think that this man is actually qualified. He put on a suit as a lark and now an infinite fractal of Peter Parkers are telling him all their problems.

mystes
May 31, 2006

YggiDee posted:

Look me in the eyes and tell me that you think that this man is actually qualified. He put on a suit as a lark and now an infinite fractal of Peter Parkers are telling him all their problems.
Miguel or spider therapist

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yes
( I did mean Spider-Therapist but I mean it probably applies to both)

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

The animation in this is interesting: a lot of it is existing scenes edited a bit to add and remove elements or change the coloring but there's also some bits that are either newly created scenes or taken from the next movie. Or maybe scenes that were in older trailers and cut out? Idk

koolkal fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 17, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

koolkal posted:

The animation in this is interesting: a lot of it is existing scenes edited a bit to add and remove elements or change the coloring but there's also some bits that are either newly created scenes or taken from the next movie. Or maybe scenes that were in older trailers and cut out? Idk

Yeah, there’s some stuff from the trailers in there, rather than the actual film. Like the initial pullback of the spider-lobby, in the movie Hobie and Jess are there too, but in the trailer it’s just Miles and Gwen, which is used here.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Baby Mayday (and Annie May by extension) have me wondering if they are also bound by the "Canon events" rule, since they inherited their powers and didn't get bitten by a spider directly.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I guess we’ll see if Peter B’s got a leg to stand on in the next movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

hiddenriverninja posted:

Baby Mayday (and Annie May by extension) have me wondering if they are also bound by the "Canon events" rule, since they inherited their powers and didn't get bitten by a spider directly.

I mean, you already got Penni and Peter Porker who don't really follow the rules either.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Barudak posted:

And yes I now know how to say "what the gently caress???" In japanese after the "to be continued" popped up on screen and the audience couldnt stop themselves.

Well, don't leave us in suspense, what is it?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Samovar posted:

Well, don't leave us in suspense, what is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WENEQJDLjBg

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
A truly amazing movie with a really good music choice for what to play over the credits. Something about it help make what frustrations in me about having to wait for part 2 just vanish.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Darko posted:

Hes too much like Ultimate Peter and his races are barely ever touched on or woven into the themes and are just window dressing. Both game and Movie lean into his culture way more, given number of appearances.

I enjoy that Ganke in this movie explicitly calls out he is not miles’ “guy in the chair” i.e he’s not Ned from the MCU.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

massive spider posted:

I enjoy that Ganke in this movie explicitly calls out he is not miles’ “guy in the chair” i.e he’s not Ned from the MCU.

I mean unfortunately they straight up took Ganke from the comics and renamed him Ned Leeds for the MCU. So they really have to work to differentiate them otherwise a lot of viewers would think they’re just recycling Ned.

Speaking of characters getting retooled, I’m rather ashamed it took me until seeing this tweet to recognise Arana in the film:
https://twitter.com/lt_aranya/status/1670132458107305984?s=21

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Australian Spider-Man is nine feet tall.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Nameless Pete posted:

Australian Spider-Man is nine feet tall.

Its just Spiders-Man, a pile of spiders in a costume

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Yvonmukluk posted:

Speaking of characters getting retooled, I’m rather ashamed it took me until seeing this tweet to recognise Arana in the film:
https://twitter.com/lt_aranya/status/1670132458107305984?s=21

Goddamnit I KNEW that was her! The redesign honestly went a little too far because I doubted it until this moment, but I was still like “why else would a random lady spider person get magic blue armor”

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

Its just Spiders-Man, a pile of spiders in a costume

I'm so sad I didn't see SpidersMan anywhere in this movie.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There's still a whole other movie to go, unless they want to focus on Gwen variants for Beyond.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Saw the movie, absolutely loved it, every second of animation was absolutely beautiful. I loved Spot as a villain, the family dynamics, just everything about this movie.

One question I did have tho. I'm pretty familiar with a lot of comic book stuff, but my only real exposure to Spider-Man 2099 has been through the video games. During that fight scene at the beginning with the clockwork Vulture, and Miguel goes like, Spider Devil Trigger and his head mutates for a brief second, is that a thing from the comics? I really thought that would be some big plot point but maybe that's just something he can do normally?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

Saw the movie, absolutely loved it, every second of animation was absolutely beautiful. I loved Spot as a villain, the family dynamics, just everything about this movie.

One question I did have tho. I'm pretty familiar with a lot of comic book stuff, but my only real exposure to Spider-Man 2099 has been through the video games. During that fight scene at the beginning with the clockwork Vulture, and Miguel goes like, Spider Devil Trigger and his head mutates for a brief second, is that a thing from the comics? I really thought that would be some big plot point but maybe that's just something he can do normally?
Comics Miguel has more direct spider powers than your classic parkers, including organic webbing from his wrists and a paralyzing venom bite he uses ocassionally.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Gwen calling him a vampire confused a lot of people but it was absolutely worth it for setting up the Morbius burn.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I missed the Morbius burn what was it?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Miles, immediately after. "A good guy vampire? Wow, I'd pay good money to see THAT!"

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i saw across earlier today and wow it was really good!! :)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It should get a best picture nom and it won't. I'm already preparing to be furious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gaius Marius posted:

It should get a best picture nom and it won't. I'm already preparing to be furious.
The whole reason they created the animation category was to consign animated features to their own ghetto and prevent another Beauty and the Beast situation

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/beauty-and-the-beast-oral-history-oscars-1235114971/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR_rej2B80I

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 20, 2023