Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

as every notable significant website of the past 15+ years all begin to curl up and die at once I'm left with the same question as ever: how the hell is Something Awful still around?

the owners are absentee landlords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Schwarzwald posted:

as every notable significant website of the past 15+ years all begin to curl up and die at once I'm left with the same question as ever: how the hell is Something Awful still around?

The community is relatively small and dedicated, management is relatively hands off, operating costs are relatively low, and the posting culture and monetization models are such that a relatively small but regular income stream exists from registrations, title purchases, banner ads, etc. Also apparently like five figures a year el jeffe gets to rake in from the NordVPN sponsorship or whatever because a bunch of people who probably don't even post here any more signed up through the SA affiliate link back in the day and he still gets a cut every time they re-up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

It's not demanding infinite growth like everything else seems to be

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

RareAcumen posted:

I think it's this. If SA was ever sold off it would immediately go to poo poo like everywhere else.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Schwarzwald posted:

That which is already fail cannot fail.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

im pretty sure at one point lowtax offered a large amount of money for the website but refused to sell it... what could have been

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

the owner doesn't huff elon musk's farts like reddit guy

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna89700

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Terrible Opinions posted:

I always considered essayist to be a different thing than X Explained and lore head dudes. Matt Pat is probably worse for media literacy than Cinema Sins.

edit: Not sure exactly where Upisnotjump lands on that spectrum because I find their thumbnails extremely repulsive.

I haven't watched his DE video yet but his other stuff isn't really on that spectrum at all. He's more like, I dunno, Dunkey? where there is a heavy comedy focus.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Reminder that Dunkey is capable of doing decent (if a little amateurish/clumsy) literary analysis just chooses not to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTBW6jbHgX0

oh lol he did a shining thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU1hnE6klVw

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 17, 2023

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I can fathom something I'd want less than Dunkey talking about Disco Elysium

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

YggiDee posted:

I can fathom something I'd want less than Dunkey talking

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

YggiDee posted:

I can fathom something I'd want less than Dunkey talking about Disco Elysium

it'd be very good actually

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dunkey asmr

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

we're small and not publicly traded so we dont have to pursue endless growth

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

this userbase is getting older gayer and fatter and if that isnt endless i dont know what is

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The sa grenade logo but in fat faded rainbow stripes

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvOvaEZPWd0
Chris James teaches Gabi Belle how to Heely and also reveals that she's a weird little gremlin.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

This is the main one, but I think it's also fair to say this place got profoundly lucky. More than once. Most other forums or social communities from the early aughts are dead and gone for one reason or another. Drama, buyout, lack of interest, slow withering, etc.

You could probably pick out half a dozen instances over the past twenty years when SA should have died to the fate of a coin flip but held on through pure luck. Like when Lowtax was offered 20mil for the site or when Jeff paid for the place out of pocket. Those are the kind of things that should have broke bad and sent the site spiraling, but... they didn't.

Of course, the sense of community and history help, but plenty of other places have that and still get got. Let's hope we keep on dodging bullets.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I used to frequent this vidya and movie (and tons of anime) soundtrack forum and the way it died was just bizarre. The admin one day decided to shut it down and made a reddit post saying he was haemorrhaging money due to server expenses (fair) but also he despised the community anyway and he never enjoyed music, or something to that effect. People started a completely different board where they actually encourage community effort and it's staggering how good the new place is compared to the previous

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Going back to the streaming platform discussion, I can recall another site that people used to stream games on. I think it was supergreatfriend who streamed games like Virtue's Last Reward and spoopy games for Halloween.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mraagvpeine posted:

Going back to the streaming platform discussion, I can recall another site that people used to stream games on. I think it was supergreatfriend who streamed games like Virtue's Last Reward and spoopy games for Halloween.

Justin tv?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Oh no wait sorry, I was thinking about the sequel, Zero Time Dilemma. My bad. It's been years since I thought of it.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I used to frequent this vidya and movie (and tons of anime) soundtrack forum and the way it died was just bizarre. The admin one day decided to shut it down and made a reddit post saying he was haemorrhaging money due to server expenses (fair) but also he despised the community anyway and he never enjoyed music, or something to that effect. People started a completely different board where they actually encourage community effort and it's staggering how good the new place is compared to the previous

That's sort of how this forum my friend posted on died--the main admin up and disappeared and there was no way to renew the hosting without them. They tried to start a new board but by that point most of the dedicated regulars were on Facebook and friends with each other so that one fizzzeled out

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Lobe posted:

Justin tv?

No love for UStream? They had the best superhero

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Oh no wait sorry, I was thinking about the sequel, Zero Time Dilemma. My bad. It's been years since I thought of it.

that was probably hitbox

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Definitely was not hitbox. I finally found an old link on my old laptop: Beam.pro

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Beam became mixer after microsoft bought it iirc

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

is there any juicy gossip about hot diggity demon/max gilardi? Saw some of his videos earlier and first, the little ghost goofball is very clearly a dead klurf and that makes me uneasy

I also got the feeling that he was kinda chuddy, maybe just a liiiittle bit. but then I realized that he reminds me more of an early 2000s goon. the kind that woulda probably got permabanned within the last few years for some very valid reason.

I like gossip

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Telltolin posted:

is there any juicy gossip about hot diggity demon/max gilardi? Saw some of his videos earlier and first, the little ghost goofball is very clearly a dead klurf and that makes me uneasy

I also got the feeling that he was kinda chuddy, maybe just a liiiittle bit. but then I realized that he reminds me more of an early 2000s goon. the kind that woulda probably got permabanned within the last few years for some very valid reason.

I like gossip

Took about ten seconds with Google to turn up a Twitter thread. Links to some of the receipts are defunct, but then there is this...

:nms: :nws: CONTENT WARNING: Slurs and Bigoted Caricatures. :nws: :nms:

So, yeah, gently caress that guy.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Ok obviously this dude is a gigantic poo poo but I lmao at this https://twitter.com/King_Mudkip/status/1078460746147651585?t=BqVBxSXygXeWS4BtMo49Dg&s=19

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

Took about ten seconds with Google to turn up a Twitter thread. Links to some of the receipts are defunct, but then there is this...

:nms: :nws: CONTENT WARNING: Slurs and Bigoted Caricatures. :nws: :nms:

So, yeah, gently caress that guy.

This is my shocked face, look at how shocked I am seeing this

I bet there's more dirt too, but that's easy assumption to make considering the man is dirt all the way down to his soul

I saw a video he made about the grinch movie or something and I could just tell based on the way he talked. i could tell this was a man who has some opinions

e: the racist steven universe drawings absolutely seem like something I'd see circa 2005, tying in with what I said previously
gold member on facepunch vibes

Telltolin fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 17, 2023

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

If you just scroll down to his earlier videos it's weird my little pony murder videos.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Mr. Lobe posted:

Justin tv?

Want to blow your mind? Justin tv actually rebranded and became twitch before it was bought by Amazon.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1668736079862562816?t=r7DWlKsz2MunfOb68arIFQ&s=19

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

If you just scroll down to his earlier videos it's weird my little pony murder videos.

Yeah, he's not really trying to hide it, and a quick skim of his recent videos doesn't really indicate a change in general vibe.

A lot of people who are casually bigoted or who cozied up to the fash have tried to rebrand in the past several years. Not because they've grown as people or let go of their hideous ideas but simply because platforms won't pay them if they're too overt with their bullshit.

I may have already linked it in this thread, but it should be taken as a given that all platforms are following the enshittification cycle.

In brief,

quote:

This is enshittification: surpluses are first directed to users; then, once they're locked in, surpluses go to suppliers; then once they're locked in, the surplus is handed to shareholders and the platform becomes a useless pile of poo poo.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jun 17, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

Videogame streaming, which grew out of LPs, started out on ustream.tv in '07-'08.

I remember hanging out with Oyster, Raar, Geop, RChimpCola, Sartak and others - and at some point not too long ago, I even managed to find the old chat logs from my IRC client.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Justin tv?
Justin.tv is what Twitch grew from, and it started life as a guy simply broadcasting his life - similar to what people like iJustine were doing on ustream.tv.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Thank goodness we have the miniseries to right that wrong.

The miniseries is better than the movie because the hedge animals come to life :colbert:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Macaluso posted:

The miniseries is better than the movie because the hedge animals come to life :colbert:

in all their 1997 television budget CGI glory

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

fez_machine posted:

Reminder that Dunkey is capable of doing decent (if a little amateurish/clumsy) literary analysis just chooses not to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTBW6jbHgX0

oh lol he did a shining thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU1hnE6klVw

Watched these videos OP

No he is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Telltolin posted:

I like gossip

Didn't he post a really bad faith defense of Apu? Because everyone knows that if a white guy says something isn't racist then it totally isn't.