Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

speedofdark posted:

Could it be Strange Invaders?

Here's a part which sounds similar to your description.

That part is blocked for copyright here, but a bit of investigation makes this seem like a very likely culprit! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Looking for two movies that use the same character gimmick, possibly based off some other work of fiction. Both are probably 80's or 90's movies. Both have a support character that wears a stone boot, because without it they walk/run too fast. One is animated, the other is live action.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

Looking for two movies that use the same character gimmick, possibly based off some other work of fiction. Both are probably 80's or 90's movies. Both have a support character that wears a stone boot, because without it they walk/run too fast. One is animated, the other is live action.

I never watched it, but it sounds like Harrison Bergeron might fit the bill.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen is your live action, maybe?

A Maze of Clouds
Sep 15, 2022

Freakazoid_ posted:

This one has a guy who has to hop on one leg or he will run too fast https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fool_of_the_World_and_the_Flying_Ship

If memory serves Askeladden og de gode hjelperne had a guy with chains on his foot to keep from running too fast. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054638/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jedit posted:

Eric Idle had iron balls chained to his legs to stop him running too fast in that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLU_GvlaTtI

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Jedit posted:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Eric Idle had iron balls chained to his legs to stop him running too fast in that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLU_GvlaTtI

I'm pretty sure this is the live action I was looking for, thanks. I am ashamed that I forgot Eric Idle played the part, or I would have made the connection sooner.

A Maze of Clouds posted:

This one has a guy who has to hop on one leg or he will run too fast https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fool_of_the_World_and_the_Flying_Ship

If memory serves Askeladden og de gode hjelperne had a guy with chains on his foot to keep from running too fast. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054638/

Neither of these are it. It was not a claymation or puppetry kind of animation, just a regular drawn one, or maybe an anime.

Though I was wrong about the live action having a stone boot, I am much more certain the animated movie I am thinking of had a stone boot. It's quite literally the only thing I can recall about it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Freakazoid_ posted:

Though I was wrong about the live action having a stone boot, I am much more certain the animated movie I am thinking of had a stone boot. It's quite literally the only thing I can recall about it.

Captain Hook has stone boots in the Jake and the Never Land Pirates animated series.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
This is beginning to sound like something that's on tvtropes

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hannibal Rex posted:

This is beginning to sound like something that's on tvtropes

It's a really common trope in anime so yeah :buddy: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PowerLimiter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mYHRrH_NYg

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

"How The Six Made Their Way In The World" seems to be the root story, and that lead me to what I was actually looking for: Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics - The Six Who Went Far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGcvr8BRN7w (~5:25 for the guy with the lead boot)

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Happy to help!

(while letting everyone else do the heavy lifting)

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Asking for a friend:

quote:

I'm looking for a short film of one of the famous
producers, Spielberg I think with a small possibility it was
Lukas instead, from the time before fame. The short film was set
on some cruise ship, and had some angel female actor, so people
started falling in love around her, and another male actor, I think one
of the bearded heavies, Orson Welles or Peter Ustinov, around who
people get depressed and suicide by jumping overboard; and then,
these characters meet and have a dialog, like 'what are you doing
there' - 'why, we both interfere', something like that
I think it was on a film roll with more shorts
of that producer, and I watched that in some art cinema once, or
on TV
another short on that roll was about some piano
player and composer who was so ambitious that there was some dark
murder story behind the musical surface, based on artistic
jealousy or competitivity
both were tongue-in-cheek movies in black and
white, but not evident no-budget shorts

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Asking for a friend:

In another thread where I accidentally posted this description first, I got the answer that it's this Amazing Stories episode. Since that seems very close to what is remembered and the episode has a Spielberg writing credit, it could be a case of reusing a script, or memory playing its tricks with regard to eg. the black-and-white coloring.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I feel like some movie or TV show must’ve had a character do the Sherlock Holmes thing where they deduce another character’s whole backstory on first sight based on tiny visual cues, only to eat poo poo and get every part wrong.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gripweed posted:

I feel like some movie or TV show must’ve had a character do the Sherlock Holmes thing where they deduce another character’s whole backstory on first sight based on tiny visual cues, only to eat poo poo and get every part wrong.

There’s a whole tvtrope page about it, and a few of them are inverse fuckups.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Gripweed posted:

I recall seeing a movie as a child (90's) about Sherlock Holmes, where he was actually an idiot and Watson was the real brain of the operation. But then something happened to Watson and he got kidnapped (maybe?) and Sherlock had to find him, and he just lucked the gently caress out because all his conclusions about the clues Watson left for him were completely wrong.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

In another thread where I accidentally posted this description first, I got the answer that it's this Amazing Stories episode. Since that seems very close to what is remembered and the episode has a Spielberg writing credit, it could be a case of reusing a script, or memory playing its tricks with regard to eg. the black-and-white coloring.

Man look at that cast, I think they were all on youtube at one point going to have to go check it out.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

artsy fartsy posted:

I recall seeing a movie as a child (90's) about Sherlock Holmes, where he was actually an idiot and Watson was the real brain of the operation. But then something happened to Watson and he got kidnapped (maybe?) and Sherlock had to find him, and he just lucked the gently caress out because all his conclusions about the clues Watson left for him were completely wrong.

1988's Without a Clue. Michael Caine was Holmes and Ben Kingsley was Watson.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

LesterGroans posted:

1988's Without a Clue. Michael Caine was Holmes and Ben Kingsley was Watson.

Oh poo poo for real? Yeah I'm definitely gonna hunt that one down, love me some Michael Caine.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

It’s also hilariously the punchline of a Deep Space 9 episode. Keiko is absolutely convinced that Miles didn’t die in an accident and has been kidnapped. Her evidence is that the footage shows Miles drinking coffee isn’t he afternoon. Won’t shut up about the fact that he’d never do that. Turns out, she’s right. He has been kidnapped. Gets rescued and comes back home and sits down for a cup of afternoon coffee.

(Yes yes there is trauma in not wanting to believe your spouse died in an accident but also Keiko 100% doesn’t know poo poo about Miles)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Gripweed posted:

Peter Falk in The Great Muppet Caper.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKQOk5UlQSc

There is a neat sketch making fun of how little sense the deductions in "Sherlock" make.

Edit: If you haven't seen Sherlock, the stuff in the beginning is near verbatim from the show. Like how a smartphone is a "young mans gadget" :allears:.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 17, 2023

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Terry Pratchett does a skit on it too in one of his books.
Vimes is thinking about evidence in general, and how you can't tell anything from how a person looks.
Like you could be a rich bloke painting his house, and so would be dressed up in ragged dirt covered clothing.
It was an obvious jab at Sherlock Holmes.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I saw clips of a film on YouTube a few years ago and I'm having trouble digging them back up.

Late 50s-60s era color Japanese musical film about how much work and being a salary man sucks. The two parts I remember is a musical number where all the drunk salary men dance in a construction area after coming out of the bars and a song sung by a woman at a company called "In America" (アメリカでは)

Despite the very specific info I'm having trouble finding it so if anyone knows and has a YouTube link to either I'd be much obliged

Of course I tried one last thing and figured it out right after posting: Kimi mo shusse ga dekiru (1964)

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 17, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

hallo spacedog posted:

I saw clips of a film on YouTube a few years ago and I'm having trouble digging them back up.

Late 50s-60s era color Japanese musical film about how much work and being a salary man sucks. The two parts I remember is a musical number where all the drunk salary men dance in a construction area after coming out of the bars and a song sung by a woman at a company called "In America" (アメリカでは)

Despite the very specific info I'm having trouble finding it so if anyone knows and has a YouTube link to either I'd be much obliged

Of course I tried one last thing and figured it out right after posting: Kimi mo shusse ga dekiru (1964)

For anyone who is curious, that link has a full upload of the film and the construction zone dance scene starts at about 1:25:30

The big song & dance number "In America" starting at 32:15 where they decide to start running their corporation "American style" is also a real humdinger :japan::slick::911:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

For anyone who is curious, that link has a full upload of the film and the construction zone dance scene starts at about 1:25:30

The big song & dance number "In America" starting at 32:15 where they decide to start running their corporation "American style" is also a real humdinger :japan::slick::911:

I actually found the "In America" song in 2003ish when Pizzicato Five covered it, and only realized it was actually a cover when someone posted scenes from the film on (I think) Twitter a couple of years back.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I have a vague memory of a movie (or maybe even TV episode) where a crappy director is shouting that the next scene needs to be done as a 'oner.' Does this ring bells for anyone?

i dont think i'm thinking of one cut of the dead, since my memory of it is in English

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 18, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

trevorreznik posted:

I have a vague memory of a movie (or maybe even TV episode) where a crappy director is shouting that the next scene needs to be done as a 'oner.' Does this ring bells for anyone?

i dont think i'm thinking of one cut of the dead, since my memory of it is in English

Ah poo poo that rings a bell for me too. Maybe Hail Caesar?

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

In the 80s there was a movie on the Disney Channel, which means it was probably a Canadian TV movie, about troubled teens stealing a van to escape a boarding school and go on a road trip. In the ad, one of the kids is counting roadkill and says, "that's the third dead dog today." The tone felt sad and mature.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

trevorreznik posted:

Living In Oblivion?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Alan Smithee posted:

Living In Oblivion?

That was my first thought but I can't think of any time a "oner" would have been used in it. Without rewatching I can't find a mention of oner in the screenplays online

Gripweed posted:

Ah poo poo that rings a bell for me too. Maybe Hail Caesar?

Haven't seen hail Caesar so I don't think so. Possibly due to osmosis but I doubt it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

trevorreznik posted:

That was my first thought but I can't think of any time a "oner" would have been used in it. Without rewatching I can't find a mention of oner in the screenplays online

Haven't seen hail Caesar so I don't think so. Possibly due to osmosis but I doubt it

Could it have been Wag The Dog?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

JCVD has him doing a long oner action scene for a chinese (hong kong(?) director) who doesn't speak english and he has to do another take because iirc stunt guy fucks up but he's really tired

i feel like you'd remember those details though

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Alan Smithee posted:

JCVD has him doing a long oner action scene for a chinese (hong kong(?) director) who doesn't speak english and he has to do another take because iirc stunt guy fucks up but he's really tired

i feel like you'd remember those details though

You know what, that's probably it. I only watched a few minutes of it since I'd found a subbed version on accident, and I get mixed up on what was being said in my memory.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Jonathan Creek episode The Letters of Septimus Noone has a dumbass Sherlock Holmes parody character who pulls this on Creek, asking him how his holiday to Croatia or somewhere was and then explaining how he deduced it but getting everything completely wrong.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'd like to see a take on that with Robert Downey Jr.'s Sherlock predicting every move in a boxing match and then just getting absolutely rocked after a single thing goes wrong.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I remember reading about an old choose-your-own-adventure movie from the 60's or 70's, where they only filmed one outcome and just told everyone that this was what the majority had chosen. People would hold up signs with their choice in the theater, and the screen would say something like "you chose option A!" and then continue showing the movie. Since this was a garbage b-movie, no one watched it more than once anyway. I think Roger Ebert wrote about it, but I can't remember the title.

Edit: The closest thing I can find is Kinoautomat, in which the ending was fixed, but there was genuine interactivity during the movie. I distinctly remember this being an American b-movie, though.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

mr payback?