Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Hello all I'm trying to see if I can use the stock mail app for the first time in my life on my macbook. I was heartened to see that when setting it up with my gmail account it's got Gmail's default priority inbox there as a folder named 'important' - which is a good step, because Gmails priority inbox is really good at filtering out everything that's not quite spam but that you'll probably never open or read - but I'd ideally just like to get notifications from that. Is there any way to do that? In the settings, I can choose to only get notifications from 'Inbox' and 'VIPs', but I can't choose a specific folder (or mute other folders/inboxes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Grumbles posted:

Hello all I'm trying to see if I can use the stock mail app for the first time in my life on my macbook. I was heartened to see that when setting it up with my gmail account it's got Gmail's default priority inbox there as a folder named 'important' - which is a good step, because Gmails priority inbox is really good at filtering out everything that's not quite spam but that you'll probably never open or read - but I'd ideally just like to get notifications from that. Is there any way to do that? In the settings, I can choose to only get notifications from 'Inbox' and 'VIPs', but I can't choose a specific folder (or mute other folders/inboxes).

The notification setting also allows you to set smart mailboxes as the ones to yield notifications, so a simple (but stupid in its roundabout :ness) way is to simply create a smart mailbox that uses the rule “message is in mailbox > important” — essentially replicating the important folder as a smart mailbox. You can then set this as your notification source.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Genius - thank you.

Last question - it seems to want to download/sync every email in my gmail account, including the archive, which dates back to 2006. Can I stop it from doing this, or put a time/year limit on this?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yes, it's in your Gmail settings though. You can place a limit on how many emails in each folder will sync via IMAP.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there a good reason why the iMessage screen sharing would just stop working? It was working fine a few days ago but now it just times out.

I Can hear it ding on the remote computer when it times out so it’s half rear end working.

I rely on it quite a bit to help my dad out when he has issues. Since the built in screen sharing seems to be flaky is there an alternative we can use?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I have an old iMac 2013, wondering if I install Opencore will I be able to use the latest Adobe software?

Currently I'm stuck on adobe 2022, but would love to use 2023 on it if possible.

Is it particularly hard to set up anyway?

Violator
May 15, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Is there a good reason why the iMessage screen sharing would just stop working? It was working fine a few days ago but now it just times out.

I Can hear it ding on the remote computer when it times out so it’s half rear end working.

I rely on it quite a bit to help my dad out when he has issues. Since the built in screen sharing seems to be flaky is there an alternative we can use?

The only thing I can suggest is to reboot everything and hope it works. :O

I ended up having to purchase Screens (https://edovia.com/en/screens-mac/) for screen sharing when Back To My Mac was removed. I've been very happy with it. Your dad would install a little helper utility called Screens Connect and then you would be able to connect to his machine using the Screens app.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Violator posted:

The only thing I can suggest is to reboot everything and hope it works. :O

I ended up having to purchase Screens (https://edovia.com/en/screens-mac/) for screen sharing when Back To My Mac was removed. I've been very happy with it. Your dad would install a little helper utility called Screens Connect and then you would be able to connect to his machine using the Screens app.

Thanks we might have to do this.

Like the built in thing works great… when it works. Like trying to guide him through checking the settings is frustrating. It’s also frustrating because it just started working after the 5th try.

Violator
May 15, 2003

the_lion posted:

I have an old iMac 2013, wondering if I install Opencore will I be able to use the latest Adobe software?

Currently I'm stuck on adobe 2022, but would love to use 2023 on it if possible.

Is it particularly hard to set up anyway?

You'd have to check the system requirements for the Adobe apps to see if there are certain things besides the OS holding you back (graphics card?).

It's not hard to setup, just a little confusing the first time you do it because the text in the buttons and dialog boxes don't always match the walkthrough instructions. But it's simple enough once you understand what it's doing.

I used it to update my Late 2015 iMac to the latest macOS release and everything works. I have some post install patches that I need to run or else graphic acceleration doesn't work but besides that everything is smooth. OpenCore now prompts to install those relatively automatically so it's not a huge problem. Performance is fine and about equal to the previous OS release which was the last officially supported version.

I previously update a 2011 MacBook Air but that was a mistake because the hardware is so old that everything was super sluggish. I should have just kept that machine retired.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
We had some old 2013 27" iMacs at work and they worked fine in ventura with oclp.

Pretty sure they were on the 'everything supported' list when I checked.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The 2013 27-inch iMacs all had nVidia GT 755 / 775 / 780M GPUs, and the 21.5 inch iMac had either the Intel Iris Pro 5200 or the GT 750M.

Pretty much all of these GPUs meet the minimum requirements for Creative Cloud, which is at least 1 GB of VRAM.

The OCLP authors spent a lot of time (and still do) tweaking Apple's original GT drivers (which were co-authored by nVidia staff) to work with OSes that they were never meant to. Apple just kept modifying the original drivers which first showed up in Mountain Lion (10.8.4!) up until Catalina.

Apple cut off nVidia equipped machines entirely with Big Sur, so OCLP authors have been working in unexplored territory since then and have been doing an amazing job with those original drivers.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Thanks guys for the Olcp info, might give it a go later today!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Binary Badger posted:

Rosetta 2 will probably get yoinked / blocked from downloading at the same time

This is what I'm curious about...

Unrelated, so Dell has a 6K (and even an 8K!) monitor that is significantly cheaper than Apple's, will these run retina 3K resolution?

Also, what happens if you hook one of these (Apple or Dell) to an older MBP that doesn't do 6K? Does it just render at 4K/5K/.etc?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Why do you want a 6k or 8k monitor at desktop sizes

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

MORE K = BETTER THAN

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'm sometimes working on some very high-res, detailed artwork, and I think I'd benefit from a bigger, higher-res display (and that my eyes would appreciate).

Currently have an LG 5K.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

FMguru posted:

MORE K = BETTER THAN
I understood this reference

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
If I refuse to use Chrome, what is the best way to cast browser videos from macOS? I can't find a way to do it in Safari, Firefox, or Ungoogled Chromium. Should I use Vivaldi or something?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
What do you mean by "cast browser videos"?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I guess send them to a chromecast?

You could try Arc - it's based on Chromium so that might work? It's a big ol resource hog compared to Safari though, but I guess that's just all chrome-based stuff. It's also really really good

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Kibner posted:

If I refuse to use Chrome, what is the best way to cast browser videos from macOS? I can't find a way to do it in Safari, Firefox, or Ungoogled Chromium. Should I use Vivaldi or something?

Edge is what I use. It works fine for casting to my Ultra. Either that or a used atv3.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Hi all, I'm leaving a job and am allowed to take my MBP with me (14 inch, M1 Pro).

There is some device management software installed, but I have no clue what it is. I think it might be related to a cog item that usually shows up in the menubar:

I cannot click the cog in any way, though I can move it with cmd+click (I can't drag it out of the bar). I remember when it was installed I had to run some script that installed it (I can't find this script anymore). I know that they can see what apps I have installed and which software version they are. I have the 'profiles' item in my system preferences but it's for my private e-mail (protonmail).

Does anyone know what device management software this is and how I can remove it? I have asked the IT department but they are pretty incompetent generally and have been ignoring my e-mails for the past few days. I also leave (the country) in a week. Alternatively, if they do end up getting back to me is there a way to verify that the mac is 'clear' of the software? I don't really trust the IT department to do a good job.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

You'll need to get the it department to remove the serial number from their inventory with apple. Otherwise it'll just reregister the next time it starts up.

There's no way around this. It's built-in to firmware on the laptop/all macs.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

unknown posted:

You'll need to get the it department to remove the serial number from their inventory with apple. Otherwise it'll just reregister the next time it starts up.

So the way it happened a brand new, sealed box was delivered, I opened it, set it up as my own (IT was fine with this). I used it as if it was my own for about a month, then a guy from IT came by and ran said mystery script. So I have my doubts if it was every actually registered as belonging to the company. It's also listed in my personal iCloud account. Can I check this serial status somehow?

I should note that only 5% of employees use a mac, ITs workflow for macs is somewhat of an afterthought.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It looks like Sensors (https://github.com/macmade/Sensors)but you will need to make sure they do the necessary legwork to get it purged/cleaned as mentioned. I’m kind of shocked they would let you walk away with hardware and not zero out the drive on top of that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Warbird posted:

It looks like Sensors (https://github.com/macmade/Sensors)but you will need to make sure they do the necessary legwork to get it purged/cleaned as mentioned. I’m kind of shocked they would let you walk away with hardware and not zero out the drive on top of that.

Yeah that's one hell of a perk for a leaver under any circumstances

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Warbird posted:

Ah I guess I could have purged my screenshot a bit better. I have some sensor software installed called Stats (https://github.com/exelban/stats), that's probably what you think Sensors is. The stuff my job installed is just the single cog all the way on the left.

Agreed that it's a bit weird, but it's academia (-ish), so the culture is different. Also no proprietary data or anything.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

unknown posted:

Wait, what’s this? So any company could “claim” a computer just by adding its serial to a list? What happens if multiple organisations claim the same machine?

I’ve never heard of this as an official firmware/ Apple-supported thing, what’s it called?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

TACD posted:

Wait, what’s this? So any company could “claim” a computer just by adding its serial to a list? What happens if multiple organisations claim the same machine?

I’ve never heard of this as an official firmware/ Apple-supported thing, what’s it called?

It’s basically Activation Lock. They’d need to sign into it first or buy it with it preregistrated to their MDM solution.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

LPG Giant posted:

Hi all, I'm leaving a job and am allowed to take my MBP with me (14 inch, M1 Pro).

There is some device management software installed, but I have no clue what it is. I think it might be related to a cog item that usually shows up in the menubar:

I cannot click the cog in any way, though I can move it with cmd+click (I can't drag it out of the bar). I remember when it was installed I had to run some script that installed it (I can't find this script anymore). I know that they can see what apps I have installed and which software version they are. I have the 'profiles' item in my system preferences but it's for my private e-mail (protonmail).

Does anyone know what device management software this is and how I can remove it? I have asked the IT department but they are pretty incompetent generally and have been ignoring my e-mails for the past few days. I also leave (the country) in a week. Alternatively, if they do end up getting back to me is there a way to verify that the mac is 'clear' of the software? I don't really trust the IT department to do a good job.

So I looked at the list of software installed on my Mac (in system report) and discovered it's probably NinjaRMM (https://www.ninjaone.com). Good to know what it is at least, this might help get IT moving. Since it does look like it's a proper RMM rather than something adhoc (which I assumed) I'll need IT's help. At least now I can point them in the right direction. And I can check if they properly removed it by seeing if it gets removed from the list.

Regarding the 'Activation Lock', if it shows up in my personal icloud account and I can remove it from find my mac it's probably not registered as company property and I don't have to worry about this right?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

You can try. (And yes, Stats was what I had in mind. They look basically the same and I can never remember the damned name). From the perspective of a lifetime corpo IT person I sort of suspect that simply removing the program may not fix the entire problem, but may be enough as far as the end user (you) are concerned. While I'm sure it's fine, I would email your IT contacts again to verify steps taken (more for covering your rear end than an actual answer) and make sure to keep documentation somewhere stating that this is, in fact, your machine as if it is on some list/registry of machines things could get "fun" in the event you need to get work done on it or want to sell it or whatever.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is it normal for Finder to have an "invisible" window? I.e. if I switch to Finder where I have one open window, I can cmd+back-tick to switch between that window and ...something else. I don't see any other window, but the one I know about grays out as it would if there were a second window I could see that took focus. This has happened for as long as I can remember (so 3-4 years).

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

hooah posted:

Is it normal for Finder to have an "invisible" window? I.e. if I switch to Finder where I have one open window, I can cmd+back-tick to switch between that window and ...something else. I don't see any other window, but the one I know about grays out as it would if there were a second window I could see that took focus. This has happened for as long as I can remember (so 3-4 years).

That's the desktop, it's been like that forever.

Probably not very useful if you don't have anything on the desktop, though.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

TACD posted:

No - Apple will only add the serial number with proof of purchase/ownership chain. (they are sticklers for this) Since most companies buy directly from Apple, they all are added to the master account at purchase time which is associated with the MDM/RMM system.

This also means that if a company is selling you a laptop, you must get it removed from that list - even if they aren't using a MDM solution right now. If they add one in the future, it's blanket added to all devices on that list. Eg: a year down the road, blammo your computer suddenly will be added to the MDM system.

Instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/apple-business-manager/axmec4d28461/web

If anyone isn't aware - all macs upon getting internet access after booting check in with apple. If there's a MDM solution associated with the serial number, apple will then pass the MDM url to the computer and it will go there and do whatever it's told (software install/commands/etc).

This is also how a stolen laptop can be remotely shutdown/erased and its only good for parts at that point.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Zenostein posted:

That's the desktop, it's been like that forever.

Probably not very useful if you don't have anything on the desktop, though.

Wild. Well, at least I know what's going on now. No way to change that behavior?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Interesting, cheers for this! I had no idea this existed.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

unknown posted:

No - Apple will only add the serial number with proof of purchase/ownership chain. (they are sticklers for this) Since most companies buy directly from Apple, they all are added to the master account at purchase time which is associated with the MDM/RMM system.

This also means that if a company is selling you a laptop, you must get it removed from that list - even if they aren't using a MDM solution right now. If they add one in the future, it's blanket added to all devices on that list. Eg: a year down the road, blammo your computer suddenly will be added to the MDM system.

Instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/apple-business-manager/axmec4d28461/web

If anyone isn't aware - all macs upon getting internet access after booting check in with apple. If there's a MDM solution associated with the serial number, apple will then pass the MDM url to the computer and it will go there and do whatever it's told (software install/commands/etc).

This is also how a stolen laptop can be remotely shutdown/erased and its only good for parts at that point.

Thanks, this is really useful. I will keep trying IT and make sure that they write something up indicating that they're giving the laptop to me.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

unknown posted:

Companies can add macs on their ABM/ASM accounts after purchase as long as the macs are intel with t2 or newer. It's no longer at purchase time only.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

SlowBloke posted:

Companies can add macs on their ABM/ASM accounts after purchase as long as the macs are intel with t2 or newer. It's no longer at purchase time only.

unknown posted:

No - Apple will only add the serial number with proof of purchase/ownership chain.

The rest was just explaining how the majority of corporate devices get enrolled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

To do this, the tech needs to be physically in front of the computer to scan a code after they have wiped the computer clean. So it's not trivial to add something to ABM after it's been purchased and set up by an end user.