Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Company owner, frantically texting the FDA, crying in the same tone as someone who was discovered cheating because their spouse looked at their phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

This particular report is "the facility for some reason believed it would not be inspected and had none of the documentation". Observations 5 and 6 (before you even get to the plainly visible contamination) are describing the total absence of basic required documents. Many of the observations are like that. At a guess, this firm was running the facility to either some domestic or third country spec (or just to whatever they made up) and didn't care about US regs (or thought they had bribed someone to not be inspected).

So they didn't follow every requirement of our bloated bureaucracy. The FDA are a bunch of egg heads who don't understand how the business world works. Drain the swamp. -senator dilbeck

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

This particular report is "the facility for some reason believed it would not be inspected and had none of the documentation". Observations 5 and 6 (before you even get to the plainly visible contamination) are describing the total absence of basic required documents. Many of the observations are like that. At a guess, this firm was running the facility to either some domestic or third country spec (or just to whatever they made up) and didn't care about US regs (or thought they had bribed someone to not be inspected).

Oh god, I love this one. These are my trainwreck-watching materials, definitely. Edit - So, I was going to do a laymen's summary of this one for the thread, but it's so horrible and glorious and it's loving fourteen pages of INSANE asshattery. I don't have the time to do it justice.

Edit #2 - lol this is the Lab Rat thread, not the Corporate thread. You guys don't need a laymen's summary anyway. :downs:

For reference, Grade B area is not the cleanest of clean, but it's CLEAN AS gently caress. I do drastically better than this in a Grade E / ISO 8 area. Exposed nails and nail-holes would not cut it for a loving storage room, let alone aseptic filling.

Get hosed, Global Pharma Ltd. Get outright hosed for this next one. They sourced at least one API from another vendor, and then didn't check the material when they got it and relied on the vendor's documentation. You cannot do that, ever. You can't even do that for non-API materials or fillers; at bare minimum you have to do identity (prove it's the right material), and for APIs you have to do far more. I mean, get hosed for almost all of this. Someone should be in prison for the summation of these audit findings, or at bare minimum barred from ever working in a regulated environment again.

This one isn't quite clear, but it probably says [para] "You turned around manufacturing on Equipment A from one product to the next based on cleaning verification you performed on Equipment B."

That's not even getting into all the "holy gently caress, our entire facility shouldn't even count as qualified" stuff in Observation 7 or the deficient QC structures in Observations 8 & 9.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 23, 2023

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

“Your procedures claim to use Filter A for sterilization. You were unable to produce a receipt for a purchase of a single Filter A. We found cases of unused Filter F’s nearby, suggesting you (1) never used the right filter at all and (2) change the filters basically never.”

The thing I love about an FDA audit is they can walk in and the facility can literally be on fire, leaking fluids into manufacturing processes, and they’ll document all that, yeah, sure, but after the first page describes the fire, subsequent paragraphs will tell you not just how much piss is on the seat in the men’s room, but also if one of the printers allows past jobs to be recalled without a login as that could be a data integrity threat. What a great agency.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

RadioPassive posted:

“Your procedures claim to use Filter A for sterilization. You were unable to produce a receipt for a purchase of a single Filter A. We found cases of unused Filter F’s nearby, suggesting you (1) never used the right filter at all and (2) change the filters basically never.”

The thing I love about an FDA audit is they can walk in and the facility can literally be on fire, leaking fluids into manufacturing processes, and they’ll document all that, yeah, sure, but after the first page describes the fire, subsequent paragraphs will tell you not just how much piss is on the seat in the men’s room, but also if one of the printers allows past jobs to be recalled without a login as that could be a data integrity threat. What a great agency.

I believe it's part of the defensive litigation prep approach from the agency; once they've decided there's enough in a place to be actually actionable (with their incredibly limited resources), they want to document every violation so that the firm can't get out of it by getting some stuff thrown out for whatever reason.

edit: A lot of FDA's policies make sense if you understand them as under constant threat from extremely multiple armies of well-funded attorneys who spend years building test cases to revoke as much regulatory authority as possible - either in specific product areas, or the real libertarian psychos who want to destroy the whole agency. It's a century-long siege mentality.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 23, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

In the Summer of 2019 we were standing up a new drug manufacturing line. The FDA sent 5 auditors out to spend a week inspecting it.

Zero
Written
Defects

Some companies consider regulations as a restriction, we consider them a challenge.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mllaneza posted:

In the Summer of 2019 we were standing up a new drug manufacturing line. The FDA sent 5 auditors out to spend a week inspecting it.

Zero
Written
Defects

Some companies consider regulations as a restriction, we consider them a challenge.

In fairness, we've gone and poo poo ourselves a few times since then. For example, "no hot water available for operators of [redacted] to wash their hands" at multiple sites, the joys of the last three years of cleaning investigations around [redacted third-party contractor]," etc etc. Honestly, I'd expect to see more issues in the future. Our budgets are just getting hosed right now for 2023-2025, and with no backfills planned for attrition over the next 12mo+, things may very well start to slip. :(

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sundae posted:

In fairness, we've gone and poo poo ourselves a few times since then.

I just hope none of that poo poo sticks to you.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mllaneza posted:

I just hope none of that poo poo sticks to you.

Don't worry - if it does, at least I made sure we have hot water and soap in our building. :v:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

I believe it's part of the defensive litigation prep approach from the agency; once they've decided there's enough in a place to be actually actionable (with their incredibly limited resources), they want to document every violation so that the firm can't get out of it by getting some stuff thrown out for whatever reason.

edit: A lot of FDA's policies make sense if you understand them as under constant threat from extremely multiple armies of well-funded attorneys who spend years building test cases to revoke as much regulatory authority as possible - either in specific product areas, or the real libertarian psychos who want to destroy the whole agency. It's a century-long siege mentality.

Yeah, paperwork is how you get things to stick. Just speaking from being audited by other organizations before they look at systems and receipts heavily alongside immediate concerns because you could have a puddle of blood in the break room and it's a problem, but it's also as far as you know a one time occurrence. But if you can be shown that you haven't been doing X for a *long* time then that is a much bigger and much more entrenced problem that is well documented (at least by lack of documents).

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit
How do I get through an indefinite period of 12 hour night-shifts without drinking all the 200 proof ethanol in the fridge

Sundae posted:

I will continue to make dumb jokes about ramen spectroscopy is and nobody can stop me.

also lol

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Matryoshka SexDoll posted:

How do I get through an indefinite period of 12 hour night-shifts without drinking all the 200 proof ethanol in the fridge

also lol

You're on night shift just bring in regular liquor and put it in some sample vials. Who is around to question you at 2am?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

also lol

I did night rotations for years. There's no way around it: they suck. I hung on by clinging to interesting work I could focus on. No management to hover over me helped. Lots of cspam too which definitely isn't healthy.

Sadly, it's normal in a lot of industry that night crew roles almost expect to burn through lab nerds to an extent.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

also lol

Use your slow hours to get a masters; then move on.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

street doc posted:

Use your slow hours to get a masters; then move on.

This is a good answer.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was starting to think I'm shadowbanned from agilent phone support. The phone tree has been broken for years for me (option 3 option 2 asks for a ticket number, wtf). So I mash buttons till I get someone and they connect me. Once connected support has still been amazing. But this round on the third call the lady was curt and unhelpful. Made me think they were cutting me off. 4th call was helpful again though, so must have just been coincidence. Still don't understand the phone tree thing though

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I have two interns in my lab right now. I told one of them "label these four tubes *plasmid name* then A through D."

I checked today, all four tubes were labeled "*plasmid name* A-D". Four different colonies picked into four tubes with an identical label.

So that's how my weekend is kicking off. If you'll excuse me, I have an appointment with a throw pillow into which I need to scream myself hoarse.

mycomancy fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 16, 2023

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

The true mark of summer.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
:negative:

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

I had an undergrad once who was helping me with immunostaining. I happened to glance over and see him standing at the sink, running the tissue sections under the water and squirting hand soap on them.

I was so focused on the “tricky“ steps that I just mentioned the washing steps in passing. When he got to the first “wash“ step in the protocol, he decided he knew the best way to wash something...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Logged in to see if my last minute PTO request was approved* and saw an email from a collections agency on behalf of Gilson for outstanding payments.

* It was. It's a Tuesday problem now.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I had a master's in biotech ask me if they needed separate pipette tips for different samples when processing blood.

They lasted maybe 2 months, thank gently caress.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Johnny Truant posted:

I had a master's in biotech ask me if they needed separate pipette tips for different samples when processing blood.

They lasted maybe 2 months, thank gently caress.

:psyduck: what is wrong with people nowadays? I feel like I can't trust anyone to do anything anymore.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
It’s all red so what’s the difference??

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

mycomancy posted:

I have two interns in my lab right now. I told one of them "label these four tubes *plasmid name* then A through D."

I checked today, all four tubes were labeled "*plasmid name* A-D". Four different colonies picked into four tubes with an identical label.

So that's how my weekend is kicking off. If you'll excuse me, I have an appointment with a throw pillow into which I need to scream myself hoarse.

I had a guy mark all of our hazardous waste with *example* and *put date here* on the labels once.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

been out of the game five years and still yelled "Jesus Christ" out loud multiple times reading this crop of stories

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Alright, my interns have been corrected and I feel much better about my life. Think I'll wait on taking any more rotrons in my lab until my postdoc arrives in October, I can't do all my work while I'm wiping grad student asses.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Douche4Sale posted:

I had an undergrad once who was helping me with immunostaining. I happened to glance over and see him standing at the sink, running the tissue sections under the water and squirting hand soap on them.

I was so focused on the “tricky“ steps that I just mentioned the washing steps in passing. When he got to the first “wash“ step in the protocol, he decided he knew the best way to wash something...

he's just permeabilizing for you in a cheaper way.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Repeating an old experiment for a user now and our values fluctuate a lot creating very noisy data compared to the last run. Turns out it is because the tubes we use for sampling are of a different brand since last time because our procurement supplier changed it, likely for cost reasons. So now the tubes vary in weight up to 30 milligrams per tube and the stated dimensions are probably also differing slightly from reality because some tubes can't fit our freeze racks which fit the old tubes of ostensibly the same dimensions :mad:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Zudgemud posted:

Repeating an old experiment for a user now and our values fluctuate a lot creating very noisy data compared to the last run. Turns out it is because the tubes we use for sampling are of a different brand since last time because our procurement supplier changed it, likely for cost reasons. So now the tubes vary in weight up to 30 milligrams per tube and the stated dimensions are probably also differing slightly from reality because some tubes can't fit our freeze racks which fit the old tubes of ostensibly the same dimensions :mad:

We've been having similar fun times with culture tubes and other "store brand" plasticware. VWR branded items seem to be the most egregious offenders, particularly their electroporation cuvettes and their falcon-style culture tubes. I've had to swear off plastic completely for my thermophile work, as I kept having cultures spontaneously fail for no other discernable reason; I moved to glass culture tubes and it stopped. I suspect they're using a different chemical to release plasticware from the molding, but I don't know for sure.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Tube quality! Just a couple weeks ago had to send another break up letter to a vendor who hosed up their tube quality. Hope the new one lasts a little while.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Any opinion on falconware? I don’t believe their RNase free certification.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Buy an RNA oligo and see if it degrades in the tube.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i always figured Falcon was the NameBrand stuff made by Corning and the highest likelihood of being good, with absolutely no evidence or data to back that up.

if you had problems with RNA in their stuff it's probably because you thought too hard about the RNA, and it degraded out of shame.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Johnny Truant posted:

The hospital I trained at used expensive positive displacement pipette tips to get 20/100/150 μL of patient samples into 96 well plates, since precision was a key requirement. To reduce tip waste (and costs), they implemented a protocol of rinsing the tip in 5ml tubes of MilliQ water, then methanol, then a second 5ml aliquot of MilliQ water between each sample. The rinse protocol was validated by testing the second MilliQ water with the triple-quad mass spec, and that didn't find any analyte - so apparently that worked.

However, I get the feeling this story didn't feature positive displacement tips. I sure as hell wouldn't try that with an air displacement Gilson.

crabrock posted:

if you had problems with RNA in their stuff it's probably because you thought too hard about the RNA, and it degraded out of shame.

Please, no you're giving me flashbacks to my PhD. I had to get a 1mm slice of deep-frozen cardiac atrium, move it to the phenol/chloroform and get it ready for bead beating in like 30 seconds before it thawed too much. You haul your rear end off, you try not to get cancer from the phenol/chloroform, and your RIN still looks like arse.

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 23, 2023

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

crabrock posted:

The RNA knows what you did and it is so sad about it that it now has to die

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Lunar Suite posted:

To reduce tip waste (and costs), they implemented a protocol of rinsing the tip in 5ml tubes of MilliQ water, then methanol, then a second 5ml aliquot of MilliQ water between each sample.

You've got to be loving kidding me

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lunar Suite posted:

The hospital I trained at used expensive positive displacement pipette tips to get 20/100/150 μL of patient samples into 96 well plates, since precision was a key requirement. To reduce tip waste (and costs), they implemented a protocol of rinsing the tip in 5ml tubes of MilliQ water, then methanol, then a second 5ml aliquot of MilliQ water between each sample. The rinse protocol was validated by testing the second MilliQ water with the triple-quad mass spec, and that didn't find any analyte - so apparently that worked.

However, I get the feeling this story didn't feature positive displacement tips. I sure as hell wouldn't try that with an air displacement Gilson.

Did they have you blow on them to make sure they were dry before using them again?

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Again: They ran the second water tube through the mass spec and detected nothing. The protocol was validated. I was shocked at first too, but they have evidence the method is sound, and the regulatory agencies didn't flag it on SOP review either.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Did they have you blow on them to make sure they were dry before using them again?
No, we used lint-free tissue to prevent diluting the samples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Washing pipette tips is the maddest loving thing I've heard about in a while.