Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
First proper Card Survival run ended on Day 152, put up a little home sign and resigned myself to a quiet but lonely life on the island. Could have continued on, but isolation was becoming an issue and I didn't feel like slogging through another Dry Season, even with a cistern and well up to alleviate water concerns.

Next run will probably still be a Hunter run, don't feel like taking the training wheels off quite yet and there's still a bunch of stuff I haven't done. Never got into trapping or animal keeping, and I never did get around to confronting my destiny.

Incidentally, how does metalworking work anyway? All my copper knives seem to fall apart in the forge back to their component copper. Is it just going to keep doing that till my metalworking is high enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Inadequately posted:

Incidentally, how does metalworking work anyway? All my copper knives seem to fall apart in the forge back to their component copper. Is it just going to keep doing that till my metalworking is high enough?
You run a rock along the edge to refresh it, you don't have to melt copper tools down unless you want to reclaim the metal for something else.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Ah, I'm an idiot, was reforging and melting down the same copper knife over and over again when I should have just taken it out. Thanks.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Thread, I have to tell you about the piss game. I feel like I have to talk to someone about the piss game.

Urge

quote:

As a survivor of a car crash, you enter a world affected by a mysterious drug substance that controls everything around you. Formerly known as a joyful place, now transformed into a wasteland full of disturbing monsters, mysteries and an eerie atmosphere. Here, any action can lead to the increase of the hazardous fog, which when maxed-out will make a living hell out of your life. Every moment is a choice, will you kill this enemy easily by hitting him in his substance-filled head (and thus risk increasing the fog), will you drive a vehicle with limitless fog-spreading fuel and so forth. Play nomad style, wandering between towns or set up a base somewhere and call it home. Learn from your past mistakes to prevent death and uncover the truth of this strange place.
Main features:

The hazardous fog, player-caused or not, is the punishment for your corner cutting actions, which brings a variety of problems (e.g., special enemies, physical dangers, speeds up your urge, and the like).
Chop down trees to build yourself a complex base or just look around for plywood to barricade one of the abandoned houses. Lay down traps to keep you safe inside.
Use a variety of firearms, melee weapons and throwables against junkies and other scary creatures.
Discover hidden vehicles, fuel them with the fog-spreading "piss" and use them to travel between towns.
Explore, search for supplies, combine items and build to prepare for the rise and fall of the hazardous fog.

The hazardous fog that the description talks about? It's piss. The game isn't subtle about this. The title screen is a toilet.

No, no, wait, hear me out.

"Urge" refers to your character's constant, growing urge to pee. You see, in this world, due to whatever chemical testing has occurred, pee has become incredibly toxic. So, if you just piss anywhere, you create horrible yellow clouds.

Piss clouds which disgustingly grow and expand.

Now if these clouds reach the atmosphere, things get worse in the world. Starting with awful bugs spawning that have gross faces when they latch onto you.

And as things get worse, spawning increasingly weird monstrosities. This game has some fairly disturbing enemy design.

From your fairly standard hazmat gasmask guy with chainsaw

to whatever these things are

And it's not just you, there are these piss geysers that explode every so often, sending piss streams up into the heavens and you'd better get them under control

because if you don't get your disgusting piss urges under control you eventually cause the piss apocalypse, or pisscopalyse if you will, where horrible piss asteroids rain from the sky and monsters are everywhere and government dudes show up in vans in full hazmat suits with machine guns to take you out since you are destroying the world with your pee, and no, I'm not kidding about any of this.

So, why would you want to play the piss game? Well, a couple reasons. One, controlling the URGE actually gives you a reason to build a base and explore for materials and do stuff that is missing in a lot of survival games. It's not just that you have to find food and shelter, you have an active, constant problem that you need to deal with. And there are ways to deal with it. Starting from just peeing in empty bottles and toilets (toilets have limited uses before they become clogged, but can be unclogged with acid, which is a rare find), to rigging up a whole piping and filtration system:

You see, if your piss is purified, it can be used safely as fuel for various things. There's also a surprisingly robust building system. There's prefab buildings:

Or you can take over an existing house and board up the windows:

Or you can even freehand build and make some pretty nice structures

There's just a surprising amount of depth to this game. There's multiple abandoned cities and crafting and stats

You can build little gardens and grow healing plants or plants which help suppress the urge:

And there's a question of like, is this all some commentary on pollution and global warming and the threat to the environment? If you just let your waste flow freely everywhere, you're destroying the world. If you do stuff like composting and keeping things clean, and, there's vehicles, they run off piss, of course

and if you just drive them around all willy-nilly using your piss they create yellow clouds which poison the environment so you have to only use purified sources instead. So is there a message here?

Or is this whole thing just some freak's piss fetish? I don't know, but it's certainly unique and I've had some interesting times with it. It's still in early access and very active development; the developer has updated every two weeks for the past couple years. Usually with substantial updates, too

I learned about this game from watching a streamer called Tomato on Twitch and here's some videos with highlights from his streams if you'd like to see more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2YOJ8w0ihI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e2TJJIg4yQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gIxyVmyoac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7qi7_hK9Vo

Thank you for coming to my Piss Talk.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Is there a boss called The Whizzard

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've been out of this thread for like 100 pages, what are people playing currently?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

No Man's Sky (I guess technically a survival game for about an hour when you're brand new)
7 Days to Die

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
drink plenty of water, they said

now face the consequences

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

what the gently caress

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Freudian posted:

what the gently caress
Yeah I feel like this is a fetish poorly disguised as a video game.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm playing Icarus with a friend which works because I left my level 50 character on planet to die so it forced me to start fresh. Once Undead Legacy gets an A21 update we're gonna play that.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Piss Game being set in Not-Florida is very fitting.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Oh i get it, so when Ark has a "poo poo" button it's okay but when someone makes a game about the pissocalypse it's suddenly bad? About bugs attacking your piss clouds? About the bugs undoing your belt to get to the pure piss source and [comment removed by admin]

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Is Card Survivor worth 25 bucks? Or is it a wait for it on sale kind of game?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

You know, I don't think I'll play it, but the piss game looks better than I'd expect for something we can justifiably call the piss game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Count Thrashula posted:

Yes, but I'd play the demo on steam before investing. It's a great and very deep game but the interface isn't for everyone.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Anime Store Adventure posted:

You know, I don't think I'll play it, but the piss game looks better than I'd expect for something we can justifiably call the piss game.

Yeah that's the thing for me. If it was entirely just some dumb meme game, I wouldn't give it a second look. The person making this is putting some real effort into it, like more than a lot of other janky early access survival games I've played. And that makes it interesting and also unnerving in its own way.

He puts out teaser videos for his updates, like this most recent one, which introduced new boiling water mechanics enabling you to make broth (no, not piss broth), underwater stuff, some new locations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RHuV2bWa30

Did I mention there's also an unfinished main story line about finding your former roommate, who starts out the game by stealing your RV and driving away, leading you to end up in a horrible car crash? Also the former roommate may be some kind of serial killer? It's all just such a weird thing.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 17, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Count Thrashula posted:

As mentioned try the demo first but otherwise yeah. It's way deeper than its simplistic style would suggest and never feels particularly unfair unless you specifically stack challenges to make it so.

Combat just got overhauled as well which mitigates some of the more annoying randomness with bites by adding proper armour values to clothes and items as well as proper combat stats and such instead of a simple % chance.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 17, 2023

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah that's the thing for me. If it was entirely just some dumb meme game, I wouldn't give it a second look. The person making this is putting some real effort into it, like more than a lot of other janky early access survival games I've played. And that makes it interesting and also unnerving in its own way.

He puts out teaser videos for his updates, like this most recent one, which introduced new boiling water mechanics enabling you to make broth (no, not piss broth), underwater stuff, some new locations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RHuV2bWa30

Did I mention there's also an unfinished main story line about finding your former roommate, who starts out the game by stealing your RV and driving away, leading you to end up in a horrible car crash? Also the former roommate may be some kind of serial killer? It's all just such a weird thing.

I hate to say it, but this + your other post + username combo.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Count Thrashula posted:

it's probably worth $25, i've got almost fifty hours in but haven't quite won once (but i'm apparently really awful at optimizing it), but it's definitely worth $15 so unless you're really hankering for it you might wanna wait

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yes, but I'd play the demo on steam before investing. It's a great and very deep game but the interface isn't for everyone.

oh yeah forgot about the demo, this is the right answer

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Count Thrashula posted:

I've been out of this thread for like 100 pages, what are people playing currently?

We all playing the piss game. Grab a toilet and hop in.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
You nerds wouldn't shut up about Card Survival, so I decided to try the demo.

Game is cool and good and is now wishlist'ed. Cheers for the good recommendation.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah I tried the demo and liked it so I picked up the full game and put a couple hours in. Survival is stressful!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

StarkRavingMad posted:

the piss game

Some kid plays a Duke Nukem FPS, discovers Duke can piss and laughs their rear end off about it, gets really disappointed that Duke can only piss a few times, and makes it their life's work to develop a fully immersive FPiSS.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I mean thank you for bringing this to our attention, it's hilarious. I'm not going to play it and if someone enjoys it so be it, but I got a laugh. Reminds me of the weird video game articles that used to be on the front page.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Tbh I'm completely in support of the pissocalypse game because indie games have devolved to be worse clones of more popular games or long metaphors for mental illness. We need more games that are completely batshit. Games that have to be made by one person because having a second person involved would mean bringing an unwanted voice of reason into the situation.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

StarkRavingMad posted:

Thread, I have to tell you about the piss game. I feel like I have to talk to someone about the piss game.

yeh this was a great writeup and don't let anybody give you any poo poo about it. or piss. thanks for posting it

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Count Thrashula posted:

I've been enjoying Vintage Story a ton recently. Definitely worth a punt if you like voxel games. Valheim's new quest update also just dropped so probs worth another look at that too!

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
The piss game sounds, unironically, better than 7 days to die. Which is not hard, but still, i played 7DTD a lot.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 17, 2023

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
7dtd is brilliant and the piss game sounds like a cheap rip-off!!

Also do sunless seas/sky count as survival games? Playing sky right now and it seems pretty long. At first I would restart every time I died, but I realized doing that is just a massive waste of time. You're basically following the same plot each time so apart from getting a terror/hull/crew refill, you're out by like, hours of play and plot development. Exploring Albion now after the reach.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Count Thrashula posted:

Roots of Pacha. I give it a solid "meh" (too grindy) but nonetheless I need to see the plot.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm genuinely tempted by the piss game because it just looks nuts

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Same

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

dogstile posted:

I'm genuinely tempted by the piss game because it just looks nuts
Piss is stored in the balls

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Bussamove posted:

Piss Game being set in Not-Florida is very fitting.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Forever Skies has a week left until release, there are apparently a few streamers/youtubers that have been given early releases to promote it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncr7E3FnnPE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Flesh Forge posted:

Forever Skies has a week left until release, there are apparently a few streamers/youtubers that have been given early releases to promote it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncr7E3FnnPE

I liked the demo for this, it felt kind of Subnautica-ish (but in the air rather than underwater, obviously)