Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Came for the 6.7 stories, staying for the chilimac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
No plans for a winch on the ford?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

tinned owl posted:

No plans for a winch on the ford?

To fit a winch into a non oem bumper it'll end up looking like it has a bad case of the runs because truck bros are the worst.
To fit a winch into the oem bumper shims it forward about 8" or so, which does horrible poo poo to the lines of the bumper that's there. (think the plastic fender extension I just bothered to put back on)

which leaves me to building my own. Cause I actually like the big lovely warn bumper on the 350. Cause I can stand on it. Put tools on it. Put parts on it. Etc.

none of this will ever happen.

mischief posted:

Came for the 6.7 stories, staying for the chilimac.

Oh the 6.7 poo poo hasn't even started.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Get one of those rough-country converted pickup--->firetruck bumpers that stand off like 2-feet from the grille

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

Get one of those rough-country converted pickup--->firetruck bumpers that stand off like 2-feet from the grille

I should have bought this and put a flatbed on it but that's neither here nor there.

https://westslope.craigslist.org/cto/d/durango-1983-gmc-4wd-fire-truck-brush/7622125047.html

1983 GMC 4WD Fire Truck Brush Truck - $12,500 (Durango)
" Brush truck, 17K miles, Marmon Harrington 4WD conversion, 750 gallon tank, diesel, five speed, air brakes, ladder, starts, runs, drives great, was still in service two weeks ago. Here’s a way for you to protect your home when the next wild fire threatens. This truck is a beast. Have a great day!"

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Holy gently caress I'd buy that in a heartbeat to, likely impossible to get parts but gently caress that thing looks amazing. You'd need to take the lights off it, you can't have any signage or emergency lighting on it as a civilian but drat.

Edit, I thought it said 1938 not 83, so parts aren't as bad. Still drat looks nice.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
How about a fire truck I have coming…a Dyna the whole quad cab comes up on hydraulics if you want to look at the engine. It has a few thousand pounds of fire equipment on the back. Would be a perfect overlander conversion but it’s going to a dealer I buy for. It’s epic

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

cursedshitbox posted:

Since the truck's fuel range is about a 70 mile radius of any one fuel stop

I figured she was thirsty but drat :monocle:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Holy gently caress I'd buy that in a heartbeat to, likely impossible to get parts but gently caress that thing looks amazing. You'd need to take the lights off it, you can't have any signage or emergency lighting on it as a civilian but drat.

It's a 6cta away from greatness. Yeah I'd strip all the fire poo poo off. Probably repaint it too. I adore MH awd systems and I'm currently on the lookout for one for the 350 when I do its refit.

everdave posted:

How about a fire truck I have coming…

How about no. This is a cautionary tale about how I've crushed a "1 ton" class 3 truck and will crush a "1.5 ton" class 5 truck into the ground. Little truck poo poo need not apply. This is not the space.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I figured she was thirsty but drat :monocle:

Yeah it's really loving annoying they only put a 40 gal tank on this drat thing. It seriously needs a 100 gal tank with the way it drinks. It's fuel range has cut off most of the places the idi could go just on that metric alone. Something is off down in the lower bowel of this thing though. I'm not sure yet.
(note I said radius, if I get out there I gotta make it back. that's 140mi round trip....and ~25-30 gal since I don't like running the trucks low when remote)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Thread continues to deliver. I'm learning a lot about things I will never drive (though I do have a truck license and trained on the Coyote 6x6).

I passed a F150 on the autoroute yesterday and it was absurdly big compared to local traffic.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Modern trucks are so ridiculously big I hate it. This 550 is even ungainly in some cases. We're going to find out why soon.

Have you considered our lord and saviour the fully loaded dpf? (bottom row, 4th from the left)

40WB. Boring.

Staying at Owl Canyon Campground. Some neat rock formations nearby to check out.

Speaking of the campground I want to rave about these bbq grills.

Ash sump in the bottom. Laser cut plates. Just excellent.

Well made passive latches for cleaning.

Whoever designed these was clearly passionate about their work. I love seeing details like this in other's work.

The other grill with a linear screw for setting the grate height. The first I've seen.

Really sketchy bridge near the barstow depot. Surprisingly rated for 40 tons. Uh.. Okay.

Pulling along 395. This thing runs toasty when climbing. Which fuel consumption is decreasing and I just passed four trucks on a 6% grade. The non intercooled 7.3 would be blowing hot air by tractor two.

Alabama hills, CA. No, not Alabama itself.
Unfortunately half the campground is washed out and the other half is slam full.

But he promises hotsprings just north of Bishop, so we continue driving.

Wrong again. Climb from bishop to Lake Crowley to only find it totally snowed in. With temps dropping below freezing at night, I'm not really wanting to do that right now. Where did spring go it's the middle of April?

Flip a U turn and immediately drop the grade. This is important because we just swung the truck through 50+F of temps and ran the engine brake all the way back down.

Rolling back into Bishop. Know this feel all too well. Must be hard up when the company is pulling the transmission in their own lot.

Temp spot. A solid day of trouble free driving. I'm feeling like I've made it out of the weeds with this loving thing finally and I can go back to my other projects.

Some decent views too.

The problem though, is its very visible. I found a spot a quarter mile deeper in that's more secluded.

No prob I'll move the rig back there and set up for the week to explore the general area. There's some land here I'm interested in anyway. Dyer and Goldfield is just over the range behind me Though it's a little difficult to get there right now. Good thing the jeep is around.

Go to start the truck and uh it's making new noises. Bad noises. These noises.
The loving 17,000mi ford reman turbo exploded. It won't move in 2wd. 2L got it up to 5mph and was able to re-orient the truck.

gently caress.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

WTF everdave, did you not catch this:

cursedshitbox posted:

The loving 17,000mi ford reman turbo exploded. It won't move in 2wd. 2L got it up to 5mph and was able to re-orient the truck.

gently caress.

There is no gently caress large enough in all of SA emotes.
Ford is officially the worst auto manufacturer.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

cursedshitbox posted:

Staying at Owl Canyon Campground. Some neat rock formations nearby to check out.

Whoever designed these was clearly passionate about their work. I love seeing details like this in other's work.

The other grill with a linear screw for setting the grate height. The first I've seen.

gently caress.
Pretty sure I’ve stayed at that campground, long enough ago that I don’t remember those grills.
Also, that looks like rainbow basin! I fricken love that place!! Did you do any hikes back up into the basin? It’s not a super hard hike, and you get to see some cool stuff not far in. You walk right through the middle of a big colorful fold you can see on both sides.

But then…
Sounds like that turbo is about to fly the hell off. Oof. It seems like every bit of every truck you have that CAN break WILL break.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

gently caress.

:ohdear:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cursedshitbox posted:

I'm feeling like I've made it out of the weeds with this loving thing finally and I can go back to my other projects.

Go to start the truck and uh it's making new noises. Bad noises.

Those grills are great but yeah, :ohdear:

That said, I certainly respect your ability to break everything forever in new and interesting ways. Like, if you'd stuck with another broken frame I'd respect that too but this kind of ingenuity? Very well done.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

McTinkerson posted:

Ford is officially the worst auto manufacturer.

This is officially the last Ford I ever own and probably the last domestic with juice brakes newer than 1995 that I'm ever going to own. gently caress This.

Because I can't not leave well enough alone I immediately tear into the truck for triage. It broke, I have a burning desire to know why.

Can you see anything? I can't see poo poo.

Stick my arm allllllll the way into the rearend of this goddamned truck.

You may not feel it but this turbocharger's front bearing is like a hotdog flung across a stadium.

Here, lemme get in there with a camera.

Deja Moo.Seem familiar?

There's the feeling we've seen this poo poo before. Let's discover what lies below.

https://i.imgur.com/9j2bRpU.mp4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qotP_jRoWgI

Ford reman. Checks out.

There's a diesel shop at the bottom of the hill. The only one within like 150 miles if not more. Their site indicates they're desperate for another tech. I'm gonna go talk to them. Worst case I farm this job out. Best case I end up with a job and this is where we're pulling the parking brake for good.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

cursedshitbox posted:

Holy cow, those are beautiful.

And loving Ford.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Those are the kind of grills i'd expect in some place like New Zealand or Australia, not in US and A. Goddamn.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Lol if you end up with a job but goddamn. Reman that's likely what way older and way more miles then advertised?

If you aren't going domestic, what would be the next best option then? My knowledge is limited but it seems like the big three are the only ones that really make heavy duty hauling trucks that are rated for what your putting in the bed. Would a tundra have the bed capacity and not tear itself in half?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Would a tundra have the bed capacity and not tear itself in half?

lol

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
lmfao that only domestics basically have frames that dont crumple

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
Turns out big manly pickup trucks are all bluster and bullshit.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So uh... think that turbo might be related to your 70 miles per tank? loving YIKES.

Does the aftermarket have a fix that doesn't make reliability worse, or is it just a "keep throwing turbos at it" situation? I always thought ceramic bearings were supposed to be "better", but that's obviously not the case here.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 15, 2023

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Coming from a machining perspective, gently caress ceramic anything. Sure, ceramic or ceramic metal (cermet) is supposed to work better than traditional metal tooling. And it does work great! Right up until the exactly millisecond that it doesn’t, which is usually sooner than you think. Ceramic has no resiliency, so if anything at all goes wrong or slightly out of tolerance the whole thing shatters.
Like, say, going through large temperature swings up and down a grade, shutting down, then turning on. (That’s my working theory)
Where regular metal bearings will just kinda not work perfectly but will function good enough until the temp acclimates, ceramic will just fuckin shatter.
If anyone comes to our shop trying to push their ceramic inserts I automatically discount anything they say.

I’m assuming you can maybe find a ford turbo but with regular bearings? Would that fly with a turbo?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

That first generation of the turbo is infamous for burning or otherwise killing the ceramic bearings, I know it's a risk on '11 but I think '12 as well. The main thing I was warned against was letting it go directly from an active DPF clean to turning it off without letting it idle for a while. To the other poster's point, big temperature swing.

You can get a newer turbo with the revised bearings for around $1400 or aftermarket into the $2500 range but then there's the whole getting it in there wrinkle. It is a motherfucker of an engine and it is shoe horned into those trucks.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

luminalflux posted:

Those are the kind of grills i'd expect in some place like New Zealand or Australia, not in US and A. Goddamn.

My sentiments exactly. Of all the grills on the road I've used these really stand out.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Lol if you end up with a job but goddamn. Reman that's likely what way older and way more miles then advertised?

If you aren't going domestic, what would be the next best option then? My knowledge is limited but it seems like the big three are the only ones that really make heavy duty hauling trucks that are rated for what your putting in the bed. Would a tundra have the bed capacity and not tear itself in half?

Part of what I do is record keeping and play what if via calculators and other means.
here's a history of the truck's consumption of turbochargers.

Here's a hacked together spreadsheet I copied form the 350 but modified with your standard Tundra's capacities.

As you see, It won't loving work.
The next person that brings up bullshit little trucks is taking a well placed tow hitch to the shin.
I am literally pounding a class five truck into the ground, class one lifestyle trucks need to stay in the burbs where they do their best work.
My next truck will be something custom. built from the ashes of the brick. That's a future thread and all I'm going to say here and now on it because this aint the space and who the gently caress knows. Look at all the twists and turns this thread has gone through.

tinned owl posted:

Turns out big manly pickup trucks are all bluster and bullshit.

This is my sentiments on the subject. This truck and all other modern diesel pickups are bullshit. It hosed me and it's not done loving me. I will never own another diesel with anything more advanced than heui. Sticking to my blunderbuss era guns here. Bikes have carbs. Diesels have mechanical computers. cars are electric. This is the way.

Yes the low range is probably due to the fact it's eating itself. (it got up to almost 10mpg post this bullshit for like two tanks and settled back around ~8.5 ... but there's patterns forming here ...)

'11-14s are prone to turbo failures. The cab-chassis without the sst even more so as its a GT32 sized for that of about a 2L dsm/tdi engine.
https://www.forddoctorsdts.com/forums/topic/4166-turbo-failures/

The Fix.
There's one stock drop in that alludes to having steel balls. Ford doesn't have one in stock. They're the gently caress out naturally. Napa/Oreilly claim to stock an upgraded one with 3yr warranty. (A8670101R).
There's the ATS Aurora 3k kit that drops in, requires emissions intact, may not be california arb certified. Doesn't specify what's in the chra so I'm skeptical.
There's the 2015+ GT37 that kinda sorta drops in.
It requires replacing a handful of parts. Including one of the manifolds. One of the manifolds held down with stainless fasteners. Stainless fasteners that thread into an aluminum head and have an active recall for snapping off when put under extreme heat like you know ... towing.
Tuning maybe required.
It's about 5 grand all told and a couple days worth of work.
Any turbo involving emission deletes won't be discussed. Otherwise? Yeah get the big brother to the S257 in the farm truck; the S362. But no, I'm not a shithead.

I talked to the shop. They're backed up 6 weeks. They want to hire a tech(tire dildo) at $15.50/hr*. Their recommendation is I tow the 550 to reno, fix it, and trade it in on a new 550. Way to be helpful. The museum across the street has trump and gently caress biden memorabilia out front. It's that kinda joint.

*The McDonalds pays $16/hr in town but NoBoDy WaNtS tO wOrK. This pisses me off more than anything else as it reminds me of bullshit shops and bullshit shop politics from my youth. I am not going back to a 2010 wage and this entire loving town can suck my whole entire fat dick from the back. gently caress this town, gently caress everybody in it. I refuse to live somewhere like this ever again. Next I'll get pushed out of the closet and fired for it just like twenty loving ten all over again.

I am fixing this myself and I am loving furious. The loving dick that did this last time took the cab off. All of the one-time-use vbands are mounted incorrectly for doing this cab-on. I ordered the turbski from the O. If it breaks I'm fisting someone with this goddamned turbo if not the entire goddamned 6.7.
Gonna go wheeling, riding, and look at dirt on the NV side while being supercritical levels of mad.

don't sweat it i'm alright. I was quite hot when all this went down. The shop was a cherry on the poo poo-sundae that caused me to question this entire endeavor.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
My dad's workplace can't get auto techs at all, and they pay like 30 an hour right now fresh out of school. The gently caress you expect that you'd get an experienced diesal tech for anything under 25???

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!

UCS Hellmaker posted:

My dad's workplace can't get auto techs at all, and they pay like 30 an hour right now fresh out of school. The gently caress you expect that you'd get an experienced diesal tech for anything under 25???

I assume there's a powder-based or injectable component to the wage in addition to the cash portion :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pretty rad dad pad posted:

I assume there's a powder-based or injectable component to the wage in addition to the cash portion :v:

usually there's also the "where the gently caress else are you going to go in this nowhere-rear end town?" aspect, but if mcD's across the street pays 50c an hour more... idk man

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The next thing is literally everyone leaves town when they turn 18 and industry craters and all the olds go :byodood: NO ONE WANTS TO WORK ANYMORE WHY IS OUR TOWN DYING :byodood:

The *average* age of the town residents in the town where I rent the hangar is like 65. They don't want anything to ever change and vote down literally anything. There is no industry of note, no good internet service, nothing but a bunch of falling down farms and trailers with decrepit fudds living in them. A fair number of them are still cranky about the airport even being built and that was around 75 years ago.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
That sums up my experiences of pretty much any town smaller than a city.

Beatty still is homophobic as gently caress. Look into the history of rhyolite when back in the day some of my LGBT siblings tried to move there. Those people are still alive.

Nevermind being a "lazy" millennial "child" that "won't" buy a house or whatever the gently caress.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

cursedshitbox posted:

The next person that brings up bullshit little trucks is taking a well placed tow hitch to the shin.
I suggested a 6x6 line truck, the fire truck would have also been a good choice. You're already getting 6mpg.

cursedshitbox posted:

Rolling back into Bishop. Know this feel all too well. Must be hard up when the company is pulling the transmission in their own lot.

See, they even have built in jacks to help you with your backcountry drivetrain swaps.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
yeah I just didn't have a place to baseline a 20 thousand hour fire truck or lmtv with the wrong engine. I had the incorrect notion I could buy a modernish medium duty truck and it would do half of what it says it can do on the tin.

Edit. I think at this rate I want to turn the 350 into a proper medium duty truck once I have the space for all the tools and my fleet of loving fords. The 550 has a lot of nice things going for it but I've no passion for high maintenance diesel princesses.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 17, 2023

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Is a big part of the issue the turbos on the diesels? I realize I probably sound like a blithering idiot and reliability of a diesel is miles ahead of gasoline engines, especially in the domestic market. The 550 definitely is much more of a princess then I had originally thought, which after seeing a teardown of an Ecoboost engine from Ford is highly explained by the current sentiment of gently caress Ford.

Besides the complete jackass idea of ceramic parts in the drat bearing.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
diesels can go the distance but with the engineering behind modern gasser v8s I have doubts. a 8.1/allison 1k would trundle along doing this all day everyday forever in a kodiak 5500 turning a 70 front and 110 rear. They kind of don't exist though. It would also get about 8mpg and lose power per thou feet of elevation gain. considering I've been over 6000'asl for months? ouch.
but blower.

This one has some specific gotchas.
CP4 pumps are extremely fragile and run on 3 types of diesel out there(#2 ULSD, B20, 76' R99, nothing else). FCA has a massive recall on their entire lineup equipped with cp4s. Their lift pumps are poo poo and gm straight up doesn't use one. The cp4 is a piece of precision German engineering and can't handle any kind of air ingress or aeration of the fuel. The '15+ gets a CP4.2 which is a little better about not sending shrapnel through the entire fuel system. I'm hyper vigilant about filters and not running crap diesel, it's not really a concern to me. The stanadyne dcr from the class 8 world is being converted as a retrofit kit by a company and is still in the vaporware stage. It seems to be more robust than the Bosch offering. Expect $2-4k to correct.

This turbo is a known piece of poo poo. Update it to the GT37 or delete the truck and drop whatever aftermarket on it is the go to. Deleting has knockoff after affects like causing problems with the transmission. without the egr valve there anymore there is no longer a need to vacuum fill the primary cooling system. Also the epa will push my poo poo clean into my death from my rectum for it. To convert involves probably breaking off and drilling out a ton of stainless fasteners. the plumbing changes and usually comes with the kit. $3-6k here Doing the conversion to the GT37 on a road side I technically can do but I do not want to do.

The scr system on this is not quite as refined as the later ones, I've already had problems with it but nothing major like NOx sensors, urea heaters and the pump assembly. All of which are precipitously expensive. If the pump goes I'm going to try my hand at rebuilding it. Adblue is a U.S./Canada thing only. So if I were to ever want to drive to Baja Sur I have to stock extra adblue somewhere onboard otherwise the truck shuts down when it runs out. LSD will be fine with the cp4 but it'll destroy the dpf and the catalyst in about 10k-mi.
The upper oil pan is prone to leaking, and there's a oil cooler bypass valve within it that fails. To replace requires either pulling the transmission (with a ton of one time use parts) or pull the cab, pull the engine mounts, and lift the engine 6". The Ford techs say pulling the mounts is less time intense which having looked through the procedures, I agree. The 6R140 is an enormous gearbox.

The cooling system is kind of fragile, this trucks approaching the age where it could gently caress me because its bmw style quick connects everywhere, and subsequently cook the turbo when it goes. $3ish k to sort and reinforce.
The vacuum pump shits itself and leaks oil like a sieve, it's deep down in there but I can get to it. locktite the bolts and send.
The litany of NOx sensors and pyrometer sensors break if the truck isn't used for towing. I shouldn't have that problem.

This is hella wordy so have some jeepin pics from behind the mountain. Had to turn around due to the ruts.

So I went back with the mtb. And got not much further. It's a hell of a climb to get back in here.

Some local bbq. Religious bbq, but still bbq.

Weird port.

There's some dirt lots to go look at in Goldfield and Dyer. 30x100' and 2.5 acres respectively. Not enthused.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
How far behind current time are your updates? IIRC we started this roughly a year behind, are you still roughly on that time line or has it shortened or lengthened during the telling.

I ask because in the Vampire Panties Taco thread you mentioned having two broken trucks, and I was under the impression you had fixed the princess between your updates here and now. Which makes me :ohdear: about the future failure of Princess after Donk literally having a broken back.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
The threads a little under two months behind. I'm more or less jumping some of the more boring bits of the trip where we've been before. I literally fixed the turbo on 4/20/2023.
Yeah, it's a small spoiler. I'm not particularly shy about it. There's others.

I don't really want to distract from where the thread is at the moment because this was probably one of the most important parts of the trip in the last three years of doing this. This truck, this town, this lifestyle, it's trying its god damnedest to break me/us. You all need some context so this is going to be wordy. The oven blew up in my face back in death valley. It's going to do it again soon. I don't know that yet at the moment where the thread is. I lost some hair but didn't pick up any burns. That's another line in the sand this rig crossed. He didn't want propane on the build, the Gillig lacked it. Because of this. At the time we had no other option.

There's the work angle too.
Most every outfit is calling for people to come back to the office. We both worked remote before but it's not quite so easy in the current work climate. I had a thousand square foot shop of tools to work from home with prior to this road trip. I've been trying to build a trailer to put that into a portable platform but the two trucks constantly demand a blood sacrifice.
Moving out to the sticks means I'm gonna look around for alternative income streams because startups/contracts/etc go through boom/bust cycles. I'd like to have a solid support network of backup work and side gigs to keep our own shop rolling smoothly. fifteen fifty an hour is an insult. Especially at the type of place that I'm going to have to go hide in a closet again and keep my mouth shut while they make crass jokes about everything under the sun. Cause if I speak up, it's no longer a joke and I'm out a job. Then what? This is no different than the places he and I escaped from.

Helping VP with his thread helped me with my own in some way. I put a line in the sand in my own endeavors and I stuck to it. I already bought a second truck to perpetuate trying to figure out where to live for good. It should have worked. The 6.7 didn't just cross this line in the sand, it heaved itself over the line while flipping me the bird. It's escalating and I don't have the exact answer for the root cause. The brick did this. We know where it ended.
I bought this truck so that both of us could focus more on professional projects, work, self improvement, that sort of stuff. Like we did prior to 2020. Rather than work on truck problems all the time. But it's not alone. The whole unit is a non stop maintenance slog of systems and stuff breaking. As of right now there's a page and a half of maintenance items to address just on the rv. I can't wait to teach you all about the janky mess that is the gas oven control system. There's never not a break to sit and think about something other than logistics of making this work and trying to live. This is why I wrote this thread to show how much of a pain in the rear end this is. A day after the turbo the toilet valve exploded and flooded the place. There's now water damage to repair, I didn't get around to it as it's pretty far down the list. I am dealing with an extremely hard to work on truck built to run under very specific conditions. My use case is clearly outside what this truck was intended for. I thought I knew. Now I know.

Most individuals generally have a fantastic time with these engines. It's heralded as the modern replacement to the venerable 7.3. I've had rover v8s that would just mile after mile without issue. See the connection I am making?

My username isn't about a car that carries a curse. It's me that is cursed.
We don't live in it anymore. The rv will stick around as a part-time only rock hound that sticks west of the continental divide. This thread will continue up until the last day where that day started out under a completely different set of plans.
There will be a future trucks/rv/misc project thread.

Edit: Post cleanup and rewording of parts of it.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 18, 2023

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

sell all that poo poo and buy a tent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Irregardless of anything else. You and your partner have clearly shown the more dark side of trying to fully live on the road in one of these types of setups, and it's eye opening. I don't think this is just you being cursed, I think most people never realize how hard and rough it can be to actually do this, let alone the "influencers" that never show the difficult side let alone how much blood you've put in. You came in with a ton of previous experiences and tons of prep work and still have fought and bled to get this through, let alone how much you personally do no one else would think of regarding maintenance and checklists.

Personally I was massively surprised the 550 was such a poo poo job at this, and it's been nothing but trouble. It does make me think that it's not just the fact you have it as a cab over, but that you'd be dealing with just as much issues if it was a towed camper to. For sure you've shown how many issues a cab over would be for basically any truck on the market due to weight and frame complications.

Basically I just have learned a lot from you here and it's been a wild ride. You've put up and fixed way more poo poo then I think many people would be able to. Jesus you did an engine swap in the street behind a drat uhaul in basically a day!