Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

getting ready to ship the kid off to camp for the week so i can play more video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

a problem we have been having recently is that it's pretty obvious our 3 yo son is ready to stop napping. he fights naps (at least with us), doesn't always sleep, and then if he does nap he won't go to bed until like 10. seems simple enough, except that at his daycare, the class he's in, they do nap. so even though on weekends we've been having him skip naps and just go to bed at a relatively normal time (around 8-ish), for five days a week we have to deal with a maniac who wants to go to sleep much, much later than either of his parents. he's going to be moving into a new class for older kids at the start of the school year but i don't know if i can bear another two or three months of this.

has anyone had any experience with this? coudl we, like, ask his daycare to not make him nap anymore?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

getting ready to ship the kid off to camp for the week so i can play more video games

WORTH EVERY PENNY

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

a problem we have been having recently is that it's pretty obvious our 3 yo son is ready to stop napping. he fights naps (at least with us), doesn't always sleep, and then if he does nap he won't go to bed until like 10. seems simple enough, except that at his daycare, the class he's in, they do nap. so even though on weekends we've been having him skip naps and just go to bed at a relatively normal time (around 8-ish), for five days a week we have to deal with a maniac who wants to go to sleep much, much later than either of his parents. he's going to be moving into a new class for older kids at the start of the school year but i don't know if i can bear another two or three months of this.

has anyone had any experience with this? coudl we, like, ask his daycare to not make him nap anymore?

How long is his nap time at the daycare? 3 is about when our oldest stopped napping consistently. When I subbed in a preschool the kid that didn't nap had his parents send stuff for him to do during nap time, like tablet, toys, other games. Sometimes they just took him to the playground while the others napped. If he's falling asleep and staying asleep at daycare you might have to sweeten the deal because otherwise that's one less kid to deal with while he's sleeping. Good luck!

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
You're paying for him to stay there, how is it not your business to dictate whether he gets a nap or not? Kids in Denmark switch to kindergarten at age 3 which is about when they stop napping. Our oldest stopped napping around that age as well.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

we simply said to the daycare "no more naps please" and they said "ok"

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

was surfing for movies to watch tonight after the two kiddos were asleep and ended up watching Under the Skin

gently caress me do not watch if you are a parent of young kids jfc

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

kecske posted:

was surfing for movies to watch tonight after the two kiddos were asleep and ended up watching Under the Skin

I couldn't even get through the first couple episodes of Raised By Wolves. Parenthood has turned me into such a softie.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

kecske posted:

we had to stop watching yellowjackets because towards the end of season two, it’s very obvious something bad is going to happen to a newborn

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've posted about this before but the first game I played after my first was born was Yakuza 7 and it has a cutscene near the beginning that was really hard to watch as a new parent

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

kecske posted:

lol, know exactly the scene you're talking about.

it's a tough one.

great movie, though.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Every Goomba is someone's child

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

I've posted about this before but the first game I played after my first was born was Yakuza 7 and it has a cutscene near the beginning that was really hard to watch as a new parent

Held my boy so tight. Looked him in his eyes and told him "dad could do that, I could totally punch off a door if you were in the locker. Id even recognize it wasn't you, go back, and keep punching doors till I got you... unlike that bum rear end dad"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Yeah I really don't like depictions of young children being in serious peril, just hits different now.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I was IRL mad when I heard about Skinamarink

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Panfilo posted:

Yeah I really don't like depictions of young children being in serious peril, just hits different now.

even just children in distress or upset... no thanks

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Organic Lube User posted:

Parenthood has turned me into such a softie.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
I just watched Across the SpiderVerse and I'm kinda tempted to change my av to a Peter with baby because that's literally me now. Baby girl is even big enough to fit in the baby carrier the same as Spider-Daughter.

And baby is now registered in the governments books. We found a name that kept the spirit of the old one, and was different enough, so that's that.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!
my 4yo daughter asked me how much longer until the summer is over, and I told her about sixty days

then then she looked shocked, and said “but that’s so short! and are all the people going to die? is (my best friend) going to die?” and started big crying, because what she’d *actually* asked was how much longer until the *sun* goes *nova*

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Strangelet Wave posted:

my 4yo daughter asked me how much longer until the summer is over, and I told her about sixty days

then then she looked shocked, and said “but that’s so short! and are all the people going to die? is (my best friend) going to die?” and started big crying, because what she’d *actually* asked was how much longer until the *sun* goes *nova*

yep that’s about when my kid got real concerned about that stuff. had to tell her a lot the Sun ain’t going to supernova anytime soon.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Weirdly had this exact same conversation with my 5yo today. she wasn't upset, but more hopeful that it won't happen until everyone is already dead, which would also be bad but not as bad

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Y'all stop playing Outer Wilds with your kids

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm glad I watched Aniara just before I had kids because Jesus christ there's a scene in that that I try not to think about too much

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
happy father's day goons

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Strangelet Wave posted:

Congrats on turning her into a long termist

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Chad Sexington posted:

happy father's day goons

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Chad Sexington posted:

happy father's day goons

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

HFD everybody, enjoy your breakfasts

Strangelet Wave posted:

Play Outer Wilds with her

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Toddler woke up at 530 thirsty, I got him water and he fell back asleep

I couldn't fall back asleep so I played Diablo 4 until everyone woke up

Acceptable if I can nap later

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
my kid was also distressed upon learning that the sun will one day go out, even though she understood it to be millions or billions of years from now

definitely something humbling about the thought of it that even little kids seem to understand perfectly

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Happy Father's day to all the dads and people doin' dadly things in a kid's life

My two year old has covered me in stickers, definitely the right way to celebrate

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

loquacius posted:

HFD everybody, enjoy your breakfasts

Play Outer Wilds with her

I’ll save the exposure therapy for if and when it actually becomes a real problem tyvm, right now all she wants is frequent reassurance that she won’t live long enough to see the sun go nova

which, hell, you got it kid. i wish all the little kid life and death questions had such simple answers. she still seems worried tho

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

pro tip if your family brings fresh hot bagels as a surprise breakfast and you eat three of them in 20 minutes, you’ll be full until 5pm. i don’t recommend it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Toddler was just about at the point where she could yeet herself out of her crib if she was upset enough about being in there so we just bit the bullet and set up her big girl bed today. She was initially a little scared but when she realized I could actually climb in there with her she warmed up to it and by bedtime she was just lying down in it like she'd been in one all her life. Champ

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
How old is she?

My 20-month old is big for his age and I think if he put the effort in he could get out of his crib easily, but he hasn't realised it yet.

But I fear the day he has to go in a big boy bed because they're are still nights where he won't want to go to bed at all and I won't have the luxury of trapping him

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

at like 18 months my son climbed out, fell onto the floor, and bit a hole through his lip

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

She's 2 years 10 months, it's around time to make the change by calendar metrics but that's only worth so much (she is not potty-trained and shows no signs of readiness)

We literally got one of those plastic things you put over the doorknob so kids can't open the door from the inside, with the justification that trapping her in her room is no less safe or crueler than trapping her in her crib was

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The cages that we contain our children in get more complex over time.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
And then they're released into the biggest, most complex cage of all: the job market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

By adulthood the only cage left is capitalism, the most complex cage of all