Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

This is really great, you should be proud of it. Love how big everything sounds. Would fit perfectly in pretty much any movie I've ever seen where someone is having a Big Mood.

I especially like around the half way point where it feels like everything is about to fall apart but then it comes back together.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Buy 64 guitars so you can have one for every possible combination of taped/not taped strings.

:haibrow:

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Kazinsal posted:

Sweetwater has those Nutube-powered Brian-May-In-A-Can Vox micro heads in stock, and my local Canadian guitar retailer doesn't.

I would assume they ship to Canada, goodie bag of candies and all.

They won't ship to Canada and they check addresses for freight forwarders. You'll get a very passive aggressive voicemail from a sweetwater associate if you try, it's honestly so stupid.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

hot date tonight! posted:

They won't ship to Canada and they check addresses for freight forwarders. You'll get a very passive aggressive voicemail from a sweetwater associate if you try, it's honestly so stupid.

God dammit. I thought they were the retailer that would give you a handy if they thought it’d make a sale.

So I guess I need to find someone in Seattle who will hold a package for me before I drive down and pick it up.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Started cleaning up the last Hondo, pulled the pickups.

Bridge is a Super Distortion as expected

Pleasant surprise. Neck is original; a square tab "Super II", which is actually a custom pickup made for Hondo called a K-10, which is more of a PAF style with non-adjustable pole pieces.

BUT the neck was dead, then I checked the control cavity and found it was wired by a moron. Originally came with a phase switch, which was repurposed as a coil split, which was done wrong. The K-10 is two wires, and they had one hooked to the volume pot and one to the switch, so it was never going to work. Took that off the switch, connected it to the pot, and the pickup is working, but only ~4.4K, so looks like it might have a dead coil anyway. Bridge is hooked up wrong, too, but it is working correctly thanks to the broken switch being in the right position.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

fullroundaction posted:

This is really great, you should be proud of it. Love how big everything sounds. Would fit perfectly in pretty much any movie I've ever seen where someone is having a Big Mood.

I especially like around the half way point where it feels like everything is about to fall apart but then it comes back together.

Thank you! I tried a lot of different stuff with this project... my main one is experimental industrial and this I tried to just do 2 guitars/1 bass/drums like a standard sorta band set-up to make the sound layers (though I cheat with some synths in a few of the songs) but even with everything scaled down I feel like I mix very "wall of sound" style still. I have a hard time putting elements to the background, especially when there are so few, so I pushed poo poo really far left and round to hopefully give it all some space

widefault posted:

BUT the neck was dead, then I checked the control cavity and found it was wired by a moron. Originally came with a phase switch, which was repurposed as a coil split, which was done wrong. The K-10 is two wires, and they had one hooked to the volume pot and one to the switch, so it was never going to work. Took that off the switch, connected it to the pot, and the pickup is working, but only ~4.4K, so looks like it might have a dead coil anyway. Bridge is hooked up wrong, too, but it is working correctly thanks to the broken switch being in the right position.

The factory wiring on 80s guitars is wild as poo poo. Phase and coil switches all over the place.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

well my mixing/mastering are just about done, which means I'm at the "picking a name and start releasing poo poo" stage

which is the part I very much hate and I'm already feeling like I'd rather just be writing more music that no one will ever hear. The tail on releasing something is such a loving pain

but anywho this is my first track under the project and my brother say it sounds like Alice in Chains kinda so that was a huge compliment I felt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-XWad6BTyo

Nice!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Someone mentioned I should share video of my playing to see what I’m doing wrong. Here’s a complete loving potato of a recording of some open chords, will take video of barre chords later. Hopes this sheds some light, let me know if you can’t see what I’m doing.

https://youtu.be/pDIkznY_NP8

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I impulse bought a Charvel DK24 because I had laundered CME money in the form of an Amazon gift certificate to burn. First time with a double-locking trem, feels strange to someone who's used to retuning all the goddamned time -- I regularly flip the LKSM12 through standard, open G, open D, and drop D (dropped its typical two steps), so the notion that I can't just change tunings on a whim is a new one. It has a little bit of buzz that I'll have to sort out, but I'm pretty happy with it.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Pollyanna posted:

Someone mentioned I should share video of my playing to see what I’m doing wrong. Here’s a complete loving potato of a recording of some open chords, will take video of barre chords later. Hopes this sheds some light, let me know if you can’t see what I’m doing.

https://youtu.be/pDIkznY_NP8

The only thing I'd change is your thumb. Granted, I learned first in classical style, but the generally accepted way to position your thumb is in the middle ish of the back of the neck, rather than having your hand float free like it is. Straight thumb braced against the back of the neck and then have your other fingers arched / rounded around the neck and pushing straight down onto the frets. You want to guard against gripping the poo poo out of the neck like this, but it's still useful to have something for your other fingers to press against / lightly clamp with. Make sense?

I didn't watch all of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQuHqY83mD0 but Justin is pretty reliable and not too dogmatic.

EDIT: also just to reassure you - slow hunting around for where your fingers go is a totally normal thing that everyone goes through. Pretty soon your fingers will just be snapping mostly into place reflexively. That play chord / slap thigh thing you said you were doing will speed this along. You basically practice holistically moving your hand into the right shape all at once vs precisely placing each finger. Eventually the position gets more and more accurate and faster and faster. Stick with it.

havelock fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 17, 2023

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

oh yeah about the beatles from a little bit ago:

i used to kneejerk hate them because everyone liked them but i've cooled on it. i like a few beatles songs.

i wish i could like them a lot because from what i understand/have been told, they do a lot of cool harmony stuff and weird chord movements that shouldn't work but do. and i love stuff like that-- i mean i adore xtc and andy partridge's love for dissonance, and how pretty much everything in 1000 Umbrellas is a dominant 7th chord.

a lot of the lyrics/aesthetics/general vibes of the songs, though, are just from such a different time/place/style than me and a lot of the stuff that i like that it just misses me entirely.

like, i think it'd be fair to say the beatles are really rooted in folk music or at least that approach to things. i love classical comp devices and jazz chords and stuff-- it's just kind of a different approach that doesn't stick to me as much.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
John Lennon's earlier band the Quarrymen was typically advertised on bills as performing "Skiffle, Country/Western, and rock" so you are not wrong about the folk music thing.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah if you watch that new Beatles doc they spend a lot of time just jamming old 50’s tunes if I remember right. I’m sure that’s how they got started, playing songs they grew up listening to

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

about chord shapes:

i do promise it gets easier but at the same time it's not like it ever stops. don't be ashamed of having to "learn" a chord shape and get the movement on lock.

lately i've been getting into a certain chord shape, an example form of it (Emaj7/B) would be 7768XX. root on the ring finger and fifth on the middle finger is really weird at least to me. it took me a long time yesterday to demo a song, just cause i only got into that shape recently, and yesterday i wrote it at the beginning of each phrase in a song at like 144 bpm where i jump to it from F barre on the first fret. that's a big jump in not a lot of time! just don't beat yourself up or overthink chord jumping. you're still starting out, you have a lot of them to learn, it's tough. but it'll get easier soon. i can tell you that about a year in, i wasn't thinking about it at all-- and i was teaching myself while ignoring homework junior year.

different topic, about that chord shape i mentioned:
has been my most recent Golden Find. it's a big best-of-both-worlds chord for me-- i get the chunkiness of the low triad, but a nice and high major 7 on top. that 7768XX shape i mentioned? you can also get to a Bmaj7 with no fifth, without moving frets at all: 7688XX. it's great!

e: while typing this out i realized how funny it is that i can barely play lead basically at all but i'll get into all these weird shapes and jumps and stuff lol what is wrong with me

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

havelock posted:

The only thing I'd change is your thumb. Granted, I learned first in classical style, but the generally accepted way to position your thumb is in the middle ish of the back of the neck, rather than having your hand float free like it is. Straight thumb braced against the back of the neck and then have your other fingers arched / rounded around the neck and pushing straight down onto the frets. You want to guard against gripping the poo poo out of the neck like this, but it's still useful to have something for your other fingers to press against / lightly clamp with. Make sense?

Problem with that is I have to bend my wrist:

Which is what’s contributing to the wrist pain. Lemme go over the video, maybe it addresses that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Well yeah I mean when they were in Hamburg playing 3+ hours a night every night it would be mostly early rock staples and then they'd get bored and start mixing it up or adding their own songs.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

fwiw my favorite Classic Songwriter is carole king, idk if that means anything

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

landgrabber posted:

i think it's hilarious that I Feel The Earth Move was basically the WAP of its time

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

Well yeah I mean when they were in Hamburg playing 3+ hours a night every night it would be mostly early rock staples and then they'd get bored and start mixing it up or adding their own songs.

hell yeah, reading about their early years where they were traveling around german clubs taking fistfuls of speed is a fun time
and you can see what people remember of the setlists here:
https://www.setlist.fm/stats/the-beatles-23d6a88b.html?year=1960

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Pollyanna posted:

Which is what’s contributing to the wrist pain. Lemme go over the video, maybe it addresses that.

In these pictures I think the thumb should still be lower? My guitar teacher told me unless you're wrapping the thumb around it shouldnt be visible from the front, and you should use it just to support the neck and to pivot your wrist around. I am however, not a good guitarist so that is simply what works for me

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

landgrabber posted:

oh yeah about the beatles from a little bit ago:

i used to kneejerk hate them because everyone liked them but i've cooled on it. i like a few beatles songs.

i wish i could like them a lot because from what i understand/have been told, they do a lot of cool harmony stuff and weird chord movements that shouldn't work but do. and i love stuff like that-- i mean i adore xtc and andy partridge's love for dissonance, and how pretty much everything in 1000 Umbrellas is a dominant 7th chord.

a lot of the lyrics/aesthetics/general vibes of the songs, though, are just from such a different time/place/style than me and a lot of the stuff that i like that it just misses me entirely.

like, i think it'd be fair to say the beatles are really rooted in folk music or at least that approach to things. i love classical comp devices and jazz chords and stuff-- it's just kind of a different approach that doesn't stick to me as much.

oh yeah and then you add that my background in music is basically "lifelong emo/melodic punk kid until i got into romantic opera by way of the pinkerton -> madama butterfly connection and went to music school".

so there's just a way more melodramatic and flowery bent to me through my entire life. the beatles, as english men from the 60s, not the most emotionally expressive and vulnerable people.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Using classical thumb position is for sure best practices, but it's going to make learning chords/chord transitions more difficult and painful to start. You likely won't be able to easily correct it later if you don't start and stick with it.

You. must. decide. now.

Or just put your thumb wherever you feel comfortable like everyone else.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

If you have big hands being able to thumb mute and stuff is pretty cool.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

also playing guitar kinda hurts at first. you're building up a muscle.

don't overdo it on any particular day-- stop if you're in pain, but the problem could solve itself.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Tiny bluetooth amp

Joyo also has a line of Orange Microdark style apps that are starting to have Bluetooth. It's the tube preamp solid state power idea.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

landgrabber posted:

also playing guitar kinda hurts at first. you're building up a muscle.

don't overdo it on any particular day-- stop if you're in pain, but the problem could solve itself.

Yeah, distinguish between exercising unused muscles and actual strain.

One bit of advice to Pollyanna would be to remember to enjoy this sometimes. Play a gross distorted power chord because you can, play dad blues bends, whatever you need on occasion to remember that this isn't a chore.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

If you have big hands being able to thumb mute and stuff is pretty cool.

I have small hands but do use my thumb to mute the low E on A/Am/C open chords. It’s definitely additional movement and I should probably just focus on simply not hitting the E string but whatever

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Pollyanna posted:

If you want to try the more classical position, don't wrap your thumb around. Keep it mostly straight. Basically a straight line from your elbow, through your mostly unflexed (straight wrist), down your thumb right to the thumb pad that is resting in about the midline of the neck.

Here's an image that shows something like this

Bending your wrist is also partially a function of the angle of the neck relative to the floor and also how high up on your body you have the guitar. You can play with strap height, putting your left foot on a book or something (if you are playing with the guitar resting on your leg), and even just tilting the guitar up.

Stuff is going to hurt some while you're learning and that's normal - using new muscles, building callouses, etc, but you should pay a little attention to joint pain. The way you have your wrist flexed isn't surprising that it is leading to pain and I think you're right to try and find a more comfortable position to play in.

I learned with the classical grip initially but can semi easily switch back and forth between it and a more rock style thumb over grip, depending on what is best for what I'm playing.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I just heard about powering 9v equipment like pedals with a usb battery. Have any of you done that and could recommend me the right cables to do that? I’d love to connect 2 or three pedals to one battery if possible.

I’m hoping to take some stuff out to a nearby quarry and blast some noise into it

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

zelah posted:

I have small hands but do use my thumb to mute the low E on A/Am/C open chords. It’s definitely additional movement and I should probably just focus on simply not hitting the E string but whatever

If you can do it your hands are big enough

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh I’ve had all sorts of fun just playing around on scales and trying to replicate melodies I like. Phrygian and variations on minor pentatonic are my favorites so far. I don’t know if it’s good music, but it is technically music!

I’ll try and work on my positioning and grip - whatever makes barre chords less painful.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Snowy posted:

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I just heard about powering 9v equipment like pedals with a usb battery. Have any of you done that and could recommend me the right cables to do that? I’d love to connect 2 or three pedals to one battery if possible.

I’m hoping to take some stuff out to a nearby quarry and blast some noise into it

There are USB powered rechargeable batteries that are specifically designed for use with audio equipment; they don't have the components that introduce noise built into the battery, they have that in a separate external charger. I'm not aware of anything that lets you use a single battery for multiple pedals, generally you're putting a battery into each one that takes a battery. If it doesn't take a battery, you can use this ridiculous thing that Danelectro built that seems almost entirely useless: https://danelectro.com/product/battery-billionaire/

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

landgrabber posted:

King and Goffin = goat

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

With respect to the shape of your hand when fingering cowboy/barre chords try to follow good advice but be aware you will sort of find/develop a more natural hold over time that works for your physiology and it may not match the advice 100% in the end and that is ok.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

King and Goffin = goat

i know!!! the first half of tapestry is basically immaculate and you have james taylor shreddin it up on all those songs

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Put your left hand, palm up, on your left leg while sitting with the guitar, wrist straight. Bring your thumb to your middle and index fingers, like you’re pinching something but without the pressure - just the motion. Keep doing the motion, open close open close etc. and gradually bring your hand to the neck of the guitar while your doing it. It’s like your hand is a sock puppet going nom nom nom, thumb touching the index and middle fingers when the sock puppet mouth closes As you bring your hand to the neck continuing this motion, your fingers will end up on the strings (don’t worry about where) and your thumb behind the neck.

If the neck wasn’t there your hand would do the same motion and the thumb would meet your fingers. From your picture you can see that wouldn’t happen if the neck weren’t there - they aren’t aligned. This lets you keep your wrist straight and the thumb placement gives you the most strength/support for pressing the strings.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Thanks for all the amp recommendations. I decided to go the cheapest route which is the Rockville g-10 amp from Amazon. It’s tiny, has Bluetooth, and is 50 dollars. This killer demo video sealed the deal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xgyhv4JhrU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Make another demo so I can buy it too

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
NGD. I traded my white SLSMG + a decent chunk of cash for it. Value wise, I got a pretty good deal on it because the previous owner accidentally screwed a set of pickups through the back of it. Between that and me letting him keep his Fishman Tim Hensons, I got it for about ~1800 dollars total value which I'm pretty happy with. The cheapest double hum raw models on Reverb right now are around 2.5-3k last I looked, at least for one that doesn't look stupid. Eventually I'll get some epoxy and the closest color paint I can find and I'll patch the holes in the back, although it's only cosmetic to begin with, but I think I can make it look better.

I grabbed a set of Fishman Devin pickups and put a mini toggle into the tone hole so I can switch between voices. My wiring unfortunately doesn't look anywhere near as nice as stock Aristides wiring. This guitar feels and plays really well. Neck profile very similar to older MiJ Jacksons which is the GOAT neck profile. The upper neck access is insane, it feels like there isn't a body on it. I see why these guitars are so hype. I'm still not courageous enough to plug in it to play yet(I have weird anxieties), although I did confirm the pickups were wired up correctly at least.

Also, I think I'm going to sell the Balaguer. I just don't get on with it.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Sick grab. I love the headless multiscale trem Aristides so much (aesthetically). Wish one would show up somewhere locally so I could also experience the hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Checking out the Neural Amp Modeler plugin/standalone that I keep seeing on Youtube with the stuff Ola Englund release for free (settings/IR for his Randall Satan 50) and it sure do whip rear end. Definitely the best free metal plugin I've ever demoed. Definitely check it out if you haven't and play heavy stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V_H17m3FIw