Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
gently caress yeah. I'm so pumped for these flicks. Really puts everyone else to shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

that looks cool. I like the "teacher thinks kid is abused but actually ghost but actually kid IS abused" plot

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Just gonna leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNMSqxQtO0w

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

I'd rather you didn't.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hmmm…. Well, we’ll see.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Netflix's Gunsmith Cats

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
https://youtu.be/5lj99Uz1d50

Would love to see someone who hasn’t read the books guess what this is about based on this trailer

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The kid seems like he’s doing a good job at being an annoying anime

I ain’t seen it. Probably won’t.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ixnay posted:

Would love to see someone who hasn’t read the books guess what this is about based on this trailer

I have absolutely no earthly idea whatsoever.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

This looks VERY bad

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I know that 99% of it is greenscreening but the shot at 0:29 is everything I hate about modern film.

Just impossibly clean, sterile setpieces left and right.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They did build a Merry which might help it get more than one season.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I have bad news about the ship...

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Incredible, every single scene has the same aesthetic and energy of the edward stinger from live action Cowboy bebop. Truly, Netflix has engineered a horrifying house style

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Looks good and the "it's in the chicken!" gave me Black Dynamite vibes which is a very good thing imo

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Incredible, every single scene has the same aesthetic and energy of the edward stinger from live action Cowboy bebop. Truly, Netflix has engineered a horrifying house style

It's like the Disney Live Action remake vibe, but on the mega-cheap and applied to any popular anime they can license.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

What's that studio where they purposely make low effort versions of blockbuster movies? Same energy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

LifeLynx posted:

What's that studio where they purposely make low effort versions of blockbuster movies? Same energy.
The Asylum.

But those look like they were shot on a prosumer Sony cam.

This Netflix poo poo is some high end RED cam bullshit.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
One Piece unadaptable confirmed.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Timby posted:

I have absolutely no earthly idea whatsoever.

Honestly I read it last year and I think I need to reread it. It's a *sprawling* sci-fi story conceptually. There's so many cool ideas in there but it was not a very easily digestible book.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

ixnay posted:

I know that generally people have no faith whatsoever in D&D but I'm very excited for this. The end of GoT left such a bad taste in most people's minds that they forget D&D turned in at least 3 great seasons of television when they had something to adapt and even when they didn't a couple turned out pretty good (Season 6 comes to mind).

The whole 3 Body series will require a stupid massive budget to complete so just like how I'm glad Apple is pumping money into a Foundation series I am happy Netflix is pumping money into this one. While the streamers still live I'm glad to watch them use hundreds of millions of dollars to adapt great sci-fi series.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I dunno, China adapted it on a shoestring budget. It looked like poo poo, but you don’t technically have to spend tons on it.

My bigger problem is that the book is kinda bad. People who weren’t familiar with the scientific hypothesis and theories it’s built on seem to love it for introducing them, which is fair, but the actual narrative and characters are pretty weak.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

My bigger problem is that the book is kinda bad. People who weren’t familiar with the scientific hypothesis and theories it’s built on seem to love it for introducing them, which is fair, but the actual narrative and characters are pretty weak.

A thousand times this. I only made it a few hundred pages into the sequel before the imaginary waifu poo poo forced me to put it down.

If anyone wants an incredibly thought provoking first contact story written by an actual genius, I recommend His Master’s Voice by Stanislaw Lem

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah I don't know it things were lost in translation or what but 3BP was a slog to get through. And had some really hacky writing moments. I haven't even started the sequels because of how hard it was to get through... But I really did enjoy some of the swing for the fences sci-fi concepts. I am eager to see them onscreen and this is definitely something I think will actually benefit from being distilled down.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

I dunno, China adapted it on a shoestring budget. It looked like poo poo, but you don’t technically have to spend tons on it.

i made the mistake of reading them right after reading a bunch of greg egan books, which lead to me being slightly less impressed with the scifi and extremely disappointed in the pacing and structure. but i chalk it up to translation, im sure its better without the culture gap

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Netflix 3BP trailer manages to pull off the incredible feat of somehow both looking incredibly expensive and incredibly cheap at the same time.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
i think there could be something in a one peice adaptation that is dp'd by zach snyder. just the ultrawide lens, everything out of focus look that destroys all possible comparison to the comics and leans into the digital sheen.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Yeah I don't know it things were lost in translation or what but 3BP was a slog to get through. And had some really hacky writing moments. I haven't even started the sequels because of how hard it was to get through... But I really did enjoy some of the swing for the fences sci-fi concepts. I am eager to see them onscreen and this is definitely something I think will actually benefit from being distilled down.

Someone on reddit commented that the original text is worse, according to them the translator toned down some of the worst imaginary waifu bits. The author apparently really likes to emphasize how 'youthful' or even 'childlike' his female characters look.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kanonvandekempen posted:

Someone on reddit commented that the original text is worse, according to them the translator toned down some of the worst imaginary waifu bits. The author apparently really likes to emphasize how 'youthful' or even 'childlike' his female characters look.

:stonk:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

ixnay posted:

I mean, based on the trailer, all I can really guess is aliens? But I'm guessing I'm either wrong, or there's more to it than that.

It's not giving me much to go on other than that. The visuals look like pretty nonsense. I'm guessing because there's a VR world or something? Otherwise I don't know how a church on a lava hellscape enters into an alien story.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 19, 2023

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Another installment from the Morbius expanded universe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv1nfDIJ9kU

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Chemtrailologist posted:

lol sony just made morbius again.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
Stand back! I'm beginning to Krave!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Chemtrailologist posted:

"Don't you want to know why they call me the Rhino"

not really, no

How is Sony so bad at this? Like, they're trying hard to make this look cool with some gore but there's basically nothing here, just a completely by the numbers plot for a boring character.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
spider-man, i have cover myself with so much of the deer piss to catch you.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

davidspackage posted:

No, because it's 50/50 that you're gonna say you're really horny.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

davidspackage posted:

not really, no

How is Sony so bad at this? Like, they're trying hard to make this look cool with some gore but there's basically nothing here, just a completely by the numbers plot for a boring character.

Hell, the version of Kraven they showed in the loving trailer for Spider-Man 2 on the PS5 looked a lot more interesting than this! This is literally them remaking Morbius but dumber and with more blood.

Also, between this and The Pope's Exorcist has Russel Crowe just decided "gently caress it, I'm only doing funny accent roles from now on"?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
did you know that in the comics kraven's calling card is erecting a deer stand on a skyscraper after every successful hunt?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Just lmao if they do end up going with the Sinister Six movie they keep threatening. It's going to be Vulture* and a poo poo load of Morbiuses (Morbii?)

* Stuck in his suit and with a deep faked Michael Keaton voice to save money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

AceOfFlames posted:

Also, between this and The Pope's Exorcist has Russel Crowe just decided "gently caress it, I'm only doing funny accent roles from now on"?

And his goofy Greek accent as Zeus in Thor Love & Thunder: absolutely yes.