Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

Yahoo would own the entire internet if they hadn't been so grossly incompetent
At one point, they were sitting on a significant portion of all the mail on the internet).
Now it's Alphabet and Microsoft.

Lusty Grundles posted:

I think my last message has misled one or two people. For me , hierarchical/indented comments are better. I have my own preferences as you do, and I'm not sure either of us are wrong. I see it as a preference from my point of view, because it arranges all these micro-discussions within threads into neat sections. The benefits of that I'd see in so many threads I've participated in just this evening - one top-level comment per 'post' in the /r/relationships thread, and all of the chat about it happening underneath. The direction of the theme changing every few comments in the UK thread, too - I've found myself going back pages and pages in the past, to find the origin of a set of comments that one guy quoted. Individual scenarios would help me out too, like if I get to a thread thousands of comments in and genuinely have no clue what in the horse tits is going on.

I've realised that whole nerd spaff blancmange of a paragraph could've been summarised in one word: 'context'.

I think the two points you made though, are very separate things. Echo chambers are bad across the board, I don't like them and will always do my best to not be in one. This is a risk within any sort of structure though, and that's solved somewhere totally differently (policing comment quality) rather than laying it out like that. Couldn't agree more on the upvoting/downvoting thing though - I don't think anyone uses it properly.
I don't understand how micro-discussions, which I take to mean that there's effectively a limit on the amount of context that can be held in a comment at any given time, is supposed to be a good thing.

Also, it's kinda ironic that you say it's misled multiple people, since by that very phrasing you're saying that more people saw the comment because of the lack of threading, since your post was a reply to another post.

Policing comment quality isn't going to be possible on any platform that doesn't have a not-insignificant barrier to entry, much like SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Then it creates the sort of content that sits firmly within reddits' wheelhouse. Tired, unfunny comments that become low-hanging fruit and don't offer any sort of quality but are repeated forever. It becomes a race to the bottom to see who can meme first.

"I also choose this guy's dead wife"

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i too, am gay

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Not much, what happened to reddit with you?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

the holy poopacy posted:

Hahaha, no. The upvote system frequently means that the best answers are buried beneath the earliest and snappiest answers. It's very bad at identifying the best and most useful comments.

Reddit isn't the default go-to for Google because it is effective, it's the default go-to because it's popular. The "advantage" to reddit's user experience is that our monkey brains make the feel good chemicals when we see numbers go up on a post we made, which makes people post there more, which makes it a good place to search for answers as long as you're willing to wade through 5 near-identical Q&A threads to find the one that has the correct answer.

True, best is definitely subjective, and depends on the community. That’s what the experience is aiming for though. It’s just a fundamentally different set up than threads of posts like in SA. Who the gently caress knows whether someone said something really helpful on page 500 of a 1000 word thread. That answer is very, very hard to find.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

RC Cola posted:

Welcome back old goons and welcome refugees of reddit and Twitter

boo hiss I need my news aggregator fix

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I did forget how much I enjoyed shitposting on forums _I guess_

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

feverish and oversexed posted:

apple news subscription?

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Bad Purchase posted:

apple news subscription?

I'm old and I use android

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Awkward Davies posted:

True, best is definitely subjective, and depends on the community. That’s what the experience is aiming for though. It’s just a fundamentally different set up than threads of posts like in SA. Who the gently caress knows whether someone said something really helpful on page 500 of a 1000 word thread. That answer is very, very hard to find.

collective memory is good for that. the same question has been answered 50 times over the past ten years, someone in the thread knows the answer and will post it eventually. the answer stays current too because it gets argued a little every time it comes up. the retrogames thread is a good example of that, so is the sardine thread

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

feverish and oversexed posted:

I have two suggestions

1: become intensely interested in firearm law and legislation and hang around tfr

2: post a thread for making fake rss feeds in byob

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
You can :justpost: a question in a thread rather than trying to read 1000 pages

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Lusty Grundles posted:

Then it creates the sort of content that sits firmly within reddits' wheelhouse. Tired, unfunny comments that become low-hanging fruit and don't offer any sort of quality but are repeated forever. It becomes a race to the bottom to see who can meme first.

"I also choose this guy's dead wife"
I can only repeat what I said before, I don't understand how this is supposed to be a good thing.

I might be an old fart on the internet (I feel like I've earned the gray in my beard, since I've been running a real Unix-like for almost a quarter of a century), but even after Eternal September, the thing the internet was good for was getting people communicating.
It might've gotten all the weirdos and nerds communicating, but at least it got people communicating. Even after a lot of the other folks found their way here, it was still about communication.

Corporations, especially now that they've gone multi-national and are nigh-unapproachable) have been trying to make a quick buck off the internet ever since BBN tried pushing a unoptimized and slower version of TCP/IP because it was written by them, but that doesn't mean we should give in.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Weird reddit mods desperate to cling on to whatever little power they have would rather reopen subs than be removed lmbo

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I don't understand how micro-discussions, which I take to mean that there's effectively a limit on the amount of context that can be held in a comment at any given time, is supposed to be a good thing.

Also, it's kinda ironic that you say it's misled multiple people, since by that very phrasing you're saying that more people saw the comment because of the lack of threading, since your post was a reply to another post.

Policing comment quality isn't going to be possible on any platform that doesn't have a not-insignificant barrier to entry, much like SA.
The type of thread dictates that, I suppose. Rat made a comment in the UK thread earlier about being tempted to get fish and chips for dinner. Sits on its own, starts its own discussion that trails off, doesn't need any fluff around it. Potentially the best use case for it is when you've got a 'general' thread that can have thousands and thousands of different discussions in them. I don't know man, I just like related stuff in folders with different colours. I like comments that are all related to be in one neat little section that I can collapse. It's OK that our noggins fundamentally work differently.

It doesn't necessarily have to be ironic. If there's ever a concern about your comment getting buried in too much context, you sort of have to accept that at a certain point, you're now just within a niche and hardly anyone are going to read your replies. There's a fantastic example of that, I don't remember where it was (it was one of those "what secret would ruin your life if it came out" threads) and a guy said he wanted to kill himself but hasn't because of his wife and baby. Everyone was really concerned, and it became this long set of update edits over the course of years and years that a lot of folks were still following and commenting on. This was long after that thread was filtered out by the algorithm, I thought it was really sweet and it ended up being a really nice way of working with the structure rather than against it.

quote:

I can only repeat what I said before, I don't understand how this is supposed to be a good thing.
Oh no, that specific bit absolutely wasn't a good thing. I was replying to someone else.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

meat police posted:

Weird reddit mods desperate to cling on to whatever little power they have would rather reopen subs than be removed lmbo

antiwork had an unsurprisingly maggotlike reopening statement

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Just read the Wired article and I’m left confused why redditors are so upset.

Are the moderators rebelling because Apollo had tools not available in the main app? That seems like an easy fix of Reddit just copying that functionality, which I thought the ceo said they’d do in the verge interview?

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

fez_machine posted:

You can :justpost: a question in a thread rather than trying to read 1000 pages

I really think this is just too social for most of us

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Lusty Grundles posted:

The type of thread dictates that, I suppose. Rat made a comment in the UK thread earlier about being tempted to get fish and chips for dinner. Sits on its own, starts its own discussion that trails off, doesn't need any fluff around it. Potentially the best use case for it is when you've got a 'general' thread that can have thousands and thousands of different discussions in them. I don't know man, I just like related stuff in folders with different colours. I like comments that are all related to be in one neat little section that I can collapse. It's OK that our noggins fundamentally work differently.

It doesn't necessarily have to be ironic. If there's ever a concern about your comment getting buried in too much context, you sort of have to accept that at a certain point, you're now just within a niche and hardly anyone are going to read your replies. There's a fantastic example of that, I don't remember where it was (it was one of those "what secret would ruin your life if it came out" threads) and a guy said he wanted to kill himself but hasn't because of his wife and baby. Everyone was really concerned, and it became this long set of update edits over the course of years and years that a lot of folks were still following and commenting on. This was long after that thread was filtered out by the algorithm, I thought it was really sweet and it ended up being a really nice way of working with the structure rather than against it.

Oh no, that specific bit absolutely wasn't a good thing. I was replying to someone else.
I dunno, things can get too general - many megathreads here on SA have kinda had the effect that lots of people browse the forums exclusively via bookmarks, rather than going into individual subforums. That's not really a good thing, in the opinions of most people I've seen talk about it (which I agree with, just to be clear; and it's incidentally how I found this thread, because I went into GBS as I was bored).
As for your comment, and somehow this is very apropos of what we were posting about before, about Rat (not sure who, seems like there's multiple people who could have that diminutive version of their username), there's nothing about the way SA is made that prevents you from quoting across threads to maintain context.

I don't think any of what you've said comes about because of the conversations being indenting threaded, it comes about in spite of it.
What I mean is, nothing about this or the previous examples have anything to do with comments being like that, it's about people communicating.

And again, I'm not sure we could've had these multiple conversations on Reddit (similar to how we couldn't have had them on Twitter either, because of the character limit). Micro-discussions and micro-blogging are effectively of the same generic type in so far as it's impossible to do anything more on those platforms, but it's very easy to do that type of stuff on platforms not designed for it (see the post five words thread in GBS, or entire subforums with different posting styles ie. how weird twitter evolved from FYAD-like posting).

There's also a degree to which indented threaded comments makes it hard to get into a thread that's already established, so unless you spend a lot of time deep in a particular subreddit, you can miss entire conversations.
A thread on SA is a lot easier to skim-read if you're trying to catch-up.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 18, 2023

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

The Voice of Labor posted:

antiwork had an unsurprisingly maggotlike reopening statement

antiwork mods desperate to continue working, for free

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Are the moderators rebelling because Apollo had tools not available in the main app? That seems like an easy fix of Reddit just copying that functionality, which I thought the ceo said they’d do in the verge interview?

Real answer: The site has sucked for a long time and people with a clue are agitating everyone to leave because it’s clearly going to get shittier and shittier.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Reddit have shown over the years that they do not give a gently caress. They want a big pay day.

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

I dunno, things can get too general - many megathreads here on SA have kinda had the effect that lots of people browse the forums exclusively via bookmarks, rather than going into individual subforums. That's not really a good thing, in the opinions of most people I've seen talk about it (which I agree with, just to be clear; and it's incidentally how I found this thread, because I went into GBS as I was bored).
As for your comment, and somehow this is very apropos of what we were posting about before, about Rat (not sure who, seems like there's multiple people who could have that diminutive version of their username), there's nothing about the way SA is made that prevents you from quoting across threads to maintain context.
Things can indeed get too general. In these general threads, I find there are certain lines of discussion that happen that I'm not interested in, and that's absolutely OK, but now I have to weave around that to find what I'm interested in and contribute to that.

Example in this discussion: I could have absolutely no horse in the race about thread structure, but be mega passionate about the utility of downvotes. It could be the most important thing in the world. Now I need to scour those comments I'm not interested in, to see if someone mentioned something relevant to what I want to see. I appreciate that being in the hierarchical thing doesn't let you really contribute multiple things at once about different subjects, but I think that's the point. You post multiple times, about each individual thing separately lest it becomes this absolute jumbled mess that defeats the object.

I don't think any of what you've said comes about because of the conversations being indenting threaded, it comes about in spite of it.
What I mean is, nothing about this or the previous examples have anything to do with comments being like that, it's about people communicating.
I don't know if I agree with that. It's all good buddy, you have as much of a right to believe that as I do the opposite. I'm glad that you and I have somewhere we can do that.

And again, I'm not sure we could've had these multiple conversations on Reddit (similar to how we couldn't have had them on Twitter either, because of the character limit). Micro-discussions and micro-blogging are effectively of the same generic type in so far as it's impossible to do anything more on those platforms, but it's very easy to do that type of stuff on platforms not designed for it (see the post five words thread in GBS, or entire subforums with different posting styles).
This is far far too civil of a discussion, to be on Twitter. If there was ever a case study for 'the attitude of the folks at the top filters down' then it's that.

The $10 fee was mentioned before in how it related to policing, and I like that it was established as a thing. Sites like Twitter and Reddit having no barrier to entry at all, isn't a good thing. I don't think you even need a valid email address nowadays, but I may potentially be wrong on that.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I dunno, things can get too general - many megathreads here on SA have kinda had the effect that lots of people browse the forums exclusively via bookmarks, rather than going into individual subforums.

easily fixed by having a:) a front page and b:) having the hot new threads sidebar push new threads in subs outside of gbs

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
just kind of falling through SA and can’t quite get the rhyme or reason yet

but it’s better than a chinese state owned data harvester and you probably have at least one administrator who isn’t a nonce

Sixtyforces
Aug 29, 2019

Where am I?
/r/Piracy being forced to re-open is hilarious.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
reddit sucks rear end guys

Bass.exe
Apr 17, 2023

by vyelkin
The best alternative to reddit style nested posting other than SA's megathread bloat is actually very modern forums software. And I mean stuff like Xenforo. Something Awful is built on very old thread software that doesn't have some modern amenities that were created to deal with issues like megathread bloat.

Xenforo all sorts of useful gimmicks like mod-and-OP editable threadmarks that everyone can see at the top of a thread. It allows important/funny posts and such to be made easily accessible even after the thread has ballooned in size.

The ability to go to past big effortposts or announcements to see the general reactions and thread culture is so valuable.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Crystal Thenis posted:

I think there isn't any

start reading this thread tho:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3875815&pagenumber=1

the trick I found is to slowly read it and let the bookmark draw you back occasionally. I have not hosed this up by accidentally clicking to the last page yet.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Crystal Thenis posted:

Might be worth hunting down some of the classic threads to get a feeling of the cadence. Honestly I don’t think things have changed much around here since the days of P-p-p-PowerBook, the creation of Slenderman etc.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Bass.exe posted:

The best alternative to reddit style nested posting other than SA's megathread bloat is actually very modern forums software. And I mean stuff like Xenforo. Something Awful is built on very old thread software that doesn't have some modern amenities that were created to deal with issues like megathread bloat.

Xenforo all sorts of useful gimmicks like mod-and-OP editable threadmarks that everyone can see at the top of a thread. It allows important/funny posts and such to be made easily accessible even after the thread has ballooned in size.

The ability to go to past big effortposts or announcements to see the general reactions and thread culture is so valuable.
I don't really see how this is different than the OP or mods editing OPs post.

UncleBlazer posted:

Might be worth hunting down some of the classic threads to get a feeling of the cadence. Honestly I don’t think things have changed much around here since the days of P-p-p-PowerBook, the creation of Slenderman etc.
In case anyone's curious, here's the goldmine for the powerbook thread (you'll have to use this pdf to get the images, unfortunately - and I think the real fun starts at page 34?), and here is the post that spawned Slender Man in its goldmined thread, with images preserved.

EDIT: The OP for the current sagas thread has a bunch of good links.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 18, 2023

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Bass.exe posted:

humble decades old forums software also has this feature, it's when stuff gets added to the op

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What appeal does Reddit have in an IPO, anyway? They have failed year after year to demonstrate they can make a profit. 3rd party apps were, by their own admission, too minor to matter to their revenue stream. What’s changing?

Bass.exe
Apr 17, 2023

by vyelkin

humble decades old forums software also has this feature, it's when stuff gets added to the op

You have to keep flipping back to the first post, with your method.

Threadmarks is like a miniature OP always in a dropdown box right above the first post in a page and below the last post in a page. Its a collection of named links to posts.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Tiny Timbs posted:

What appeal does Reddit have in an IPO, anyway? They have failed year after year to demonstrate they can make a profit. 3rd party apps were, by their own admission, too minor to matter to their revenue stream. What’s changing?

Huffman saw what Musk did to twitter and his brain worms agreed this was a good idea according to the interviews he just did

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Bass.exe posted:

You have to keep flipping back to the first post, with your method.

Threadmarks is like a miniature OP always in a dropdown box right above the first post in a page and below the last post in a page. Its a collection of named links to posts.
Seems like a thing you could suggest in the technical feedback forum that shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

Astral might be busier than a one-legged person in an rear end-kicking contest, but he's also open to feedback and generally very responsive.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Tiny Timbs posted:

twitter blazed the trail here, you IPO and then flounder about for several years until an aging right wing billionaire decides to buy a media company for twice what it's worth where they can post hate speech without being banned

there have gotta be more elons out there. what about the oracle guy, or real-life vampire peter thiel?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

p sure that if harlan ellison had wanted a social media company, he would've made his own or bought one a long time ago. like, compuserve long ago

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Esposure and general usage. Millions use it everyday and they can push lots of ads across that platform. The thinking is by killing old Reddit and 3rd party apps it's forced everyone into their specific app which then can throw ads around and make more money. I think a big chunk of the user base views via the app too, so by only having the ad enabled app be theirs and only theirs it helps push through more ads. Short of people running piholes it will let Reddit shove apps and sponsored post poo poo everywhere just like the other social media platforms.

Also cause they want to cash out before it crashes and burns like every other media platform.

Efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

p sure that if harlan ellison had wanted a social media company, he would've made his own or bought one a long time ago. like, compuserve long ago
The thought of Larry Ellison and a social media company that'd appeal to him is loving terrifying.

The thing that's really scary about Larry Ellison is that he's one of the most evil people around, and he's been called that to his face and doesn't mind it at all.
He's so evil, he's spent billions on anti-aging research, up to and including blood-transfusions from young people, and backing Theranos.

He's pretty much as close to being a modern-day vampire as it's possible to be.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 18, 2023