Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It makes sense if you're coming at it from the perspective that Russia can only get weaker while Ukraine can only get stronger, i.e. Russia under sanctions can't replace a lot of their military hardware while Ukraine is getting a steady stream of Western military aid. Unfortunately the situation is way more complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Tuna-Fish posted:

The procedure for that is "the vehicle behind the immobilized one rams into it and pushes it forwards". This is a thing that actually works and has been tested. Although it makes steering difficult, but hopefully if the vehicle in front starts to drift out of the cleared path, it will detonate the mines instead of the vehicle pushing it.

Is there much difference between having tank in neutral or gear locked in place? Say Abrams gets knocked down will next Abrams in place be able to push those 70 tons forward if the tracks add extra resistance?

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

NYT piece arguing that the Nova Kakhovka dam was likely destroyed by an explosive charge in a maintenance passageway. Only Russians had access to the passageway and it would have been virtually impossible for Ukraine to destroy the dam from outside, especially undetected. An accidental collapse, while not impossible, is described as unlikely at best.

quote:

The dam was visibly scarred by fighting in the months before the breach. Ukrainian strikes had damaged one part of the roadway over the dam, and retreating Russian troops later blew up another. Last month, satellite images showed water flowing uncontrolled over some of the gates.

This has led to suggestions that the dam may have merely fallen victim to the accumulated damage, which Russia has seized on to deny responsibility.

But multiple lines of evidence reviewed by The New York Times, from original engineering plans to interviews with engineers who study dam failures, support a different explanation: that the collapse of the dam was no accident. The catastrophic failure of its underlying concrete foundation was very unlikely to occur on its own.

Given the satellite and seismic detections of explosions in the area, by far the most likely cause of the collapse was an explosive charge placed in the maintenance passageway, or gallery, that runs through the concrete heart of the structure, according to two American engineers, an expert in explosives and a Ukrainian engineer with extensive experience with the dam’s operations.

quote:

Engineers cautioned that only a full examination of the dam after the water drains from the reservoir can determine the precise sequence of events leading to the destruction. Erosion from water cascading through the gates could have led to a failure if the dam were poorly designed, or the concrete was substandard, but engineers called that unlikely.

Ihor Strelets, an engineer who served as the deputy head of water resources for the Dnipro River from 2005 until 2018, said that as a Cold War construction project, the dam’s foundation was designed to withstand almost any kind of external attack. Mr. Strelets said he, too, had concluded that an explosion within the gallery destroyed part of the concrete structure, and that other sections then were torn away by the force of the water.

“I do not want my theory to be correct,” Mr. Strelets said. A large explosion in the gallery might mean the total loss of the dam. “But that is the only explanation,” he said.

quote:

The seismic signals were picked up on two sensors, one in Romania and one in Ukraine, and occurred at 2:35 a.m. and 2:54 a.m. Ukraine time, said Ben Dando, a seismologist at Norsar, a Norwegian organization that specializes in seismology and seismic monitoring. The signals were both consistent with an explosion, Dr. Dando said — and not, say, the collapse of the dam on its own.

He said that the network could determine the time of an explosion to within a couple of seconds, but that the location of the blasts was less certain. For example, Norsar could locate the 2:54 a.m. signal to have originated within a zone 20 or 30 kilometers across that included the dam.

A specific time stamp for the infrared signal was not available, but a senior U.S. military official said that it was picked up shortly before the dam collapsed.

A senior American military official said that the United States had ruled out an external attack on the dam, like a missile, bomb or some other projectile, and now assesses that the explosion came from one or more charges set inside it, most likely by Russian operatives.

quote:

Gregory B. Baecher, an engineering professor at the University of Maryland and a member of the National Academy of Engineers, also said the scale of the breach indicated that the underlying concrete barrier had failed, suggesting that charges had been set deep in the structure.

“If they put explosives in the gallery, that would explain a lot,” Professor Baecher said. A large explosion there, he said, “would just rip up all the concrete structure.”

Nick Glumac, an engineering professor and explosives expert at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, said the size of the necessary charge could vary widely depending on the exact way in which the explosives were set and the precise objective.

“It’s worth remembering that you don’t have to pulverize the dam section, just break it enough such that the water pressure is enough to tear it away,” Professor Glumac said.

Still, Professor Glumac said that based on diagrams of the dam and the latest imagery of the destroyed foundation, “It’s hard for me to see how anything other than an internal explosion in the passageway could account for the damage.” He added, “That’s a massive amount of concrete to move.”

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/06/16/world/europe/ukraine-kakhovka-dam-collapse.html

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
Driving around Houston, I saw a truck flying the Russian flag with a Z taped on the side window. I really want/don't want to know what the hell that guy is thinking.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Nenonen posted:

This is beyond ridiculous.

There are no enemies in the area anymore so Russian troops have entered pillage mode. Maybe Putin will start stealing washing machine control boards from their own citizens to get components for missiles and drones?

Oh so this is why I got some guy on my feed gushing about how clean and wonderful Mariupol is now thanks to those sweet Russian liberators, huh.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Oil! posted:

Driving around Houston, I saw a truck flying the Russian flag with a Z taped on the side window. I really want/don't want to know what the hell that guy is thinking.

Houston has a lot of large immigrant communities. Russian propaganda is extremely heavy and effective in some countries and this also appears in related immigrant communities in the US.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Houston has a lot of large immigrant communities. Russian propaganda is extremely heavy and effective in some countries and this also appears in related immigrant communities in the US.

Ship their asses back to Russia if that's how they feel.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

alex314 posted:

Is there much difference between having tank in neutral or gear locked in place? Say Abrams gets knocked down will next Abrams in place be able to push those 70 tons forward if the tracks add extra resistance?

Not much, no. You can damage the transmission of the tower tank if it's not in neutral, iirc (my memory is fuzzy on this, though). That engine and torque can push a lot of weight around.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Western countries are publishing papers on the manipulation of social media to spread or stop the spread of specific information. Frosted Flake has posted some in CSPAM threads. These at the cursory glances I’ve had at them are differential equations and systems based models. Ie real and serious modeling with the possibility of controls.

I think it’s reasonable to assume all states are working on similar ways to influence populations.

So when you see this stuff… it’s another front of war propaganda.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 17, 2023

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pook Good Mook posted:

You are also not immune to propaganda.

Edit: To be clear here, I’m implying the very same propaganda that you didn’t even consume directly led you to make a racist statement on the internet.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 17, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oil! posted:

Feels like this is inviting people to vandalize your car.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Western countries are publishing papers on the manipulation of social media to spread or stop the spread of specific information. Frosted Flake has posted some in CSPAM threads. These at the cursory glances I’ve had at them are differential equations and systems based models. Ie real and serious modeling with the possibility of controls.

I think it’s reasonable to assume all states are working on similar ways to influence populations.

So when you see this stuff… it’s another front of war propaganda.

I'm not sure what specific 'this stuff' you are referring to in this instance - could you be more specific?

And yes that talk about deporting members of Russian immigrant communities for having bad political views is poo poo and should stop.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

You'd find more than often that the loudest pro-Putin Russian migrants are the ones that already got citizenship or long-term residence so kicking them out on the grounds of commiting some public disturbance is unlikely. Especially in the countries with reliable free speech protections.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

fatherboxx posted:

You'd find more than often that the loudest pro-Putin Russian migrants are the ones that already got citizenship or long-term residence so kicking them out on the grounds of commiting some public disturbance is unlikely. Especially in the countries with reliable free speech protections.

Weird how all these patriots supporting expansionist genocides want to live other places

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

Weird how all these patriots supporting expansionist genocides want to live other places

Motherland is best loved from afar

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Pook Good Mook posted:

Expats, emigrants and all can have really eccentric political views because they are kind of detached from their country of origin and simultaneously not deeply rooted in the country where they now live. For some this can result in a sort of "cargo cult patriotism" where you eat up propaganda from your home country not because you care about moving back but because it gives comfort. And on the other hand some want to convert completely to their new country and become more catholic than the Pope, to the point where they see immigration as a threat. People just aren't very rational actors it seems.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

He could just be an internet cretin tbh

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

shocking if true

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Pook Good Mook posted:

Erdogan only wins elections because of all the Turkish people in other countries voting.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Armacham posted:

Erdogan only wins elections because of all the Turkish people in other countries voting.

Koinkidinkly this is important for Viktor Orban as well.

Well, not Turks living in other countries...

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's ok, the missile attacks on Kyiv while the African delegation were there didn't really happy. Just more fake news.

https://twitter.com/PieterDuToit/status/1669683740044324865

Any write ups on this trip people can recommend because it seems to be a confusing debacle to me.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 18, 2023

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
An interesting piece in the NY Times about Russians adapting and making life harder for the Ukrainian military.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/17/world/europe/russia-ukraine-war-tactics.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

quote:

But Moscow’s forces have improved their defenses, artillery coordination and air support, setting up a campaign that could look very different from the war’s early days. These improvements, Western officials say, will most likely make Russia a tougher opponent, particularly as it fights defensively, playing to its battlefield strengths. This defensive turn is a far cry from Russia’s initial plan for a full-scale invasion and Ukrainian defeat.

To be sure, along a roughly 600-mile front line, Russia’s military abilities remain uneven. Prison inmates have become part of its operations, having emerged prominently in the battle for Bakhmut, despite their lack of training. The Kremlin’s increasing reliance on “kamikaze” drones or airdropped glide bombs reflects an ammunition shortage as much as an innovative strategic shift.

“They are trying to find rear command posts of companies, brigades, and destroy them at long range to disrupt communication between units as much as possible,” said Graf, a Ukrainian drone unit commander. Mostly neutered since the invasion, the Russian air force has adapted its tactics and munitions, including glide bombs, to attack Ukrainian forces without risking their aircraft.

[…]

But prowess in one area or during one mission has not yet translated widely. And American officials say that while Russia has adapted its tactics, its troops overall are not growing more sophisticated.

Most experienced Russian soldiers died early in the war. Those fighting today, including lesser trained recently mobilized forces, struggle to conduct offensive operations and coordinate the movements of large military units. And Russian tanks, having suffered significant losses throughout 2022, are now frequently held back from the front line for use as a sort of artillery.

“They don’t have enough tanks right now,” Graf said. “They don’t have enough artillery to create a barrage of fire.”

[…]

Russian trenches have frequently proved better built than their Ukrainian counterparts, Ukrainian soldiers said. The March mission report said the bunkers were akin to “Vietnam-style spider holes” and “so deep as to be undetectable by drone.”

Such defensive positions will pose formidable challenges, said one American official, and it is too soon to judge whether Ukraine can overcome them. Russian defenses are arrayed in layers and, despite months of setbacks and casualties, have shown a resolve to keep fighting.

Russia’s air defenses remain punishing, as do its abilities to jam radios and down drones. As Ukrainian forces advance, troops will be more exposed to Russian air support.

“What will happen next — who the hell knows,” Mr. Zubariev said. “Paying with how many losses — they do not care.”

It’s worth reading in full.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Tigey posted:

I'm not sure what specific 'this stuff' you are referring to in this instance - could you be more specific?

To elaborate

This is an example of the type of paper I was referring to.

Basically governments are researching control of information and how to affect the opinions of populations via social media. This isn’t new news. Way back during the Arab Spring there were articles about CENTCOM having units for this type of social media stuff. (That’s been discussed to death in older threads particularly the Russia thread from back at the start of the trump presidency) Any way what’s interesting to me about that abstract page is the mention is the mention of differential equations models, because that means controls and controls theory.

It’s a known thing we (the US) engage in targeted social media propaganda to influence public opinion in other nations. One can assume other nations do to with similar sophistication. Well scratch that we know they do similar things.

https://cyberscoop.com/disinformation-russia-facebook-graphika-dfrlab/

https://thediplomat.com/2022/04/the-ccps-ukraine-war-propaganda/

So only the “of similar sophistication” part has to be an assumption anymore.

Anyway the Russians generally target ethnic Russians in foreign countries for their overseas propaganda .

https://www.armyupress.army.mil/Journals/Military-Review/English-Edition-Archives/September-October-2022/Courter/

And their propaganda has a couple of general characteristics. It’s detached from reality and doesn’t worry about having any consistency at all. There tends to a be a saturating amount of it, it is like a “firehouse”.

https://www.rand.org/pubs/perspectives/PE198.html

Now they do not only target Russians outside Russian, just primarily so. I encounter this crap when I board vessels. The crew nationality that’s notable to me that isn’t from various Eastern European nations where I see it pop up is in Indian and Pakistani crew members.

I don’t have sourcing on hand for it, but I understand a few specific African countries are also targeted by them. If I remember where i saw that, I’ll post it.

Anyway the targeted (and it can be as targeted as any other advertising) manipulation of social media is just part of the propaganda war of any modern war. It’s an ongoing fight that we should pay attention to. Cause we often are gently caress ups about it

https://www.npr.org/2023/04/21/1171193551/twitter-once-muzzled-russian-and-chinese-state-propaganda-thats-over-now

It’s not strange that very specific Russian propaganda pops up in a place like Houston, which is a very diverse quite connected to the world city.

It’s not “weird” fatherboxx. That’s what decentralized social influence program is going to look like . That Z poo poo is going to just pop up in places that seem to be but are not random.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 18, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

This is an example of the type of paper I was referring to.

Basically governments are researching control of information and how to affect the opinions of populations via social media. This isn’t new news. Way back during the Arab Spring there were articles about CENTCOM having units for this type of social media stuff. (That’s been discussed to death in older threads particularly the Russia thread from back at the start of the trump presidency) Any way what’s interesting to me about that abstract page is the mention is the mention of differential equations models, because that means controls and controls theory.

This is social network analysis or SNA- it's what I eventually wanted to get to in the media literacy thread before it got trolled into oblivion. "State" here means status, as in opinion or emotional valence, and "social network" is any form of communication interaction, not necessarily social media. If I'm following it properly it's describing a really basic spread concept that looks a bit like false consensus modeling- basically if you make some assumptions that a group of individuals has a more or less stable set of people they're interacting with, and if "leaders" within the group maintain a shared position that can't be shifted, the "followers" in the group wind up converging on the opinion. I'm a bit confused and need to read it in much greater detail because it appears to be reinventing several wheels; the outcomes appear pretty trivial and the findings are analogous to Everett Rogers stuff, which is, uh, not new. I see that a lot with SNA, folks in different academic fields rediscovering basic concepts.

I should note that while Russia may apply this degree of sophistication with some of their foreign-facing propaganda efforts, it's unlikely that they use SNA for anything but the most narrowly targeted, professional work; a lot of their stuff seems to be siloed and far less sophisticated, including the work targeting immigrant groups. A lot of the methods of propaganda don't require any math at all to be effective.

Without doing a big essay explaining SNA, it has limited value unless you have a really complete map of the influence or communication network in question. iirc the US military has mostly used it to identify who to target for assassination in, e.g., terrorist groups. I can go into some of this stuff in further detail if it's of interest. I do not have access to, and would not be disclosing, any classified information, ofc.

edit: yeah, I see the use of fractional order and control theory here, which isn't part of the SNA I studied, but it seems to be massively complicating the evaluation for no gain based on a ludicrously simplified social network, producing very obvious and old results (the network they use for modeling being from the 70s isn't a coincidence). If you assume a group has a set of leaders whose opinions influence everyone else and whose own opinions don't change...

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 18, 2023

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Yeah based on the first page of the article, "state" has nothing to do with governments. It's basically an article saying your future opinion depends on both your current opinion and the opinions of the people you link to.

Looking at the author list, the first guy wrote the paper and the last guy was the senior scientist - the work was done in his lab. A quick search shows he's chair of the Nonlinear Controls and Robotics group at Clemson.

The fact you are somehow nervous about the use of differential equations to model a network is probably the strangest thing about this.

The author is now a professor in China

https://ustc-icr.github.io/

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 18, 2023

HDC
Mar 11, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Feels like this is inviting people to vandalize your car.

Yeah, looks like it’s a pretty good way to get your windows smashed even in Moscow

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

ranbo das posted:

We're potentially a year away from Ukraine losing their biggest benefactor when the US 2024 elections roll around, I imagine that factors in.

Given DeSantis' rhetoric on Ukraine, you can expect Putin to stay in this at least till the 2024 elections.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

mllaneza posted:

The US and UK strategic bombing campaigns also helped towards Stalin's generally reasonable demands for a Second Front as soon as possible. They did massive damage to Germany, killed a bunch of Germans, and put a lot of US and UK servicemen on the front lines; the 8th Air Force had a worse casualty rate than the USMC had invading islands in the Pacific. Stalin wasn't satisfied because it didn't divert German divisions from the Eastern Front, but the bombing campaign tied up a large portion of the Luftwaffe and a significant amount of resources for AA defenses - every Flak gun defending a city was one less heavy anti-tank gun on the Eastern Front.

My first father-in-law was a tail-gunner on a B17 in that theater. He never flew in an aircraft after the war. They used to drive from Philly to Los Angeles to visit us.

(My second was a bombarder on B17's in Europe, but he died in his 40's).

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

Yeah based on the first page of the article, "state" has nothing to do with governments.

That’s not what makes it government the “Air Force Research Laboratory” is what does that. That and the person who posted this particular example is a Canadian military academic. I suspect there are a bunch of similar partner papers out of UF because of Mac Dill and Elgin.

Discendo Vox posted:

I can go into some of this stuff in further detail if it's of interest. I do not have access to, and would not be disclosing, any classified information, ofc.

I’m extremely interested.

Discendo Vox posted:

edit: yeah, I see the use of fractional order and control theory here, which isn't part of the SNA I studied, but it seems to be massively complicating the evaluation for no gain based on a ludicrously simplified social network, producing very obvious and old results (the network they use for modeling being from the 70s isn't a coincidence). If you assume a group has a set of leaders whose opinions influence everyone else and whose own opinions don't change...

This particular paper isn’t important as anything other than an example that it’s a thing. Years ago far more interesting things came up in the Russia propaganda thread. There was some pretty sophisticated models of social networks that got posted about in news articles. But there is always a certain amount “that’s crazy“ reaction to taking about this stuff at all.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

A lot of the methods of propaganda don't require any math at all to be effective.

A good friend and mentor of mine was responsible for the modern version of the stability model for vessel officers. He used to say (often and publicly) it was written for drunks with a middle school education.

Personally models simplified to be accessible widely by the un or partially sophisticated are also extremely interesting because good (crappy ones are easy to make) simplified models for general use are hard to make.

So what’s the drunk middle school level propaganda model they are giving the low level IRA folks is a very interesting question too.

Edit:

Rust Martialis posted:

The fact you are somehow nervous about the use of differential equations to model a network is probably the strangest thing about this.

Because one models a system with differential equations to make controls for the system. Because I have my own opinions about what I think it’s possible to model socially with the systems paradigm

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 18, 2023

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That’s not what makes it government the “Air Force Research Laboratory” is what does that.

The researcher you are so worried about also wrote about maximizing profit mining Bitcoin.

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/8181504

I guess that means Bitcoin miners pools are under state control or something by this argument? Or maybe it means that you can't automatically conclude all papers coming out of a lab are a result of some master program, I dunno, call me crazy.

quote:

But there is always a certain amount “that’s crazy“ reaction to taking about this stuff at all.

I cannot imagine how anyone could have that reaction to your idiosyncratic way of presenting your otherwise rather banal argument - the government funds research into social networks (and Bitcoin mining too!).

The government funds *vastly* more research than only that done by researchers at actual military labs. Ask your Canuck bottle-washer how much funding NSERC controls for starters. But be careful - if they are at RMC, all their posts would therefore be tightly state-controlled.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Rust Martialis posted:

Yeah based on the first page of the article, "state" has nothing to do with governments. It's basically an article saying your future opinion depends on both your current opinion and the opinions of the people you link to.

Looking at the author list, the first guy wrote the paper and the last guy was the senior scientist - the work was done in his lab. A quick search shows he's chair of the Nonlinear Controls and Robotics group at Clemson.

The author is now a professor in China

https://ustc-icr.github.io/

I do wanna be clear, it is an article about influencing or manipulating opinion in social networks, and pays reference to social media- it's just not, at first glance, a very good one. I think the methods they're writing about are pretty much shoehorned into the social network analysis methodology.

SNA-based propaganda manipulation is, however, the sort of thing the Chinese are likely to do in a sophisticated manner domestically. That's pretty much the only place that has the systems, resources and dedicated social control resources for it.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 18, 2023

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It’s not “weird” fatherboxx. That’s what decentralized social influence program is going to look like . That Z poo poo is going to just pop up in places that seem to be but are not random.

Congratulations at discovering targeted advertising, it is not black magic, just additional settings.

In news from the garage drinkers:

https://twitter.com/Kremlinpool_RIA/status/1670135172556115968?t=a5y4V1LQOvrOPCK0AHenCg&s=19

Took Putin a year but he finally decided to air grievances regarding the failed negotiations and retreat from Kyiv.

Apparently the document that Putin shakes here was allegedly signed by Ukrainian delegation (but not ratified by Ukrainian government) says that Ukraine agrees to the neutral status and cuts its military numbers. Putin insists that he believed them so much that he ordered to forces to leave Kyiv outskirts and other neighbouring regions but Ukraine did not uphold its part and not surrendered.

Frankly it is bizzare and even if taken at face value makes Russian leadership look like complete morons. Dude is loving gone.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jun 18, 2023

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

Congratulations at discovering targeted advertising, it is not black magic, just additional settings.

https://twitter.com/Kremlinpool_RIA/status/1670135172556115968?t=a5y4V1LQOvrOPCK0AHenCg&s=19

Took Putin a year but he finally decided to air grievances regarding the failed negotiations and retreat from Kyiv.

Apparently the document that Putin shakes here was allegedly signed by Ukrainian delegation (but not ratified by Ukrainian government) says that Ukraine agrees to the neutral status and cuts its military numbers. Putin insists that he believed them so much that he ordered to forces to leave Kyiv outskirts and other neighbouring regions but Ukraine did not uphold its part and not surrendered.

Frankly it is bizzare and even if taken at face value makes Russian leadership look like complete morons. Dude is loving gone.

Oh dear, we'll hear about that for years, won't we.

:byodood: "Putin offered a way to peace, but was betrayed by the Kiev regime. "

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
typewriter paper "war bad and no peace makes putin a strongman" written over and over

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Because one models a system with differential equations to make controls for the system. Because I have my own opinions about what I think it’s possible to model socially with the systems paradigm

You use differential equations to model literally anything and everything that changes in one way or another (eg, over time). In terms of modeling, differential equations is like “basic math”. It’s not a scary thing unless you’re afraid of Greek letters for some reason.

E: Do you need differential equations for controls systems? Yes probably. But you need “algebra” to “make a dirty bomb” as well.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jun 18, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

It's a classic tactic, Stalin did the same in Moscow in 1941. Then in 1945 he proposed to Hitler that they both just shoot themselves.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

fatherboxx posted:

I may be misinterpreting it, but it doesn't look like an actual treaty or anything that can be binding. You can see that it has 'Position of Russia' and 'Position of Ukraine' in that addendum in the first photo. It looks more like a declaration that was supposed to be a basis for further negotiations. If someone from the Ukrainian delegation signed it, it was just to acknowledge they've read it.

If Russians gracefully retreated because of that document, kind of weird that they left so many boobytraps. Not to mention that the document is dated April 15, whereas the retreat began in late March.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 18, 2023

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Paladinus posted:

I may be misinterpreting it, but it doesn't look like an actual treaty or anything that can be binding. You can see that it has 'Position of Russia' and 'Position of Ukraine' in that addendum in the first photo. It looks more like a declaration that was supposed to be a basis for further negotiations.If someone from the Ukrainian delegation signed it, it was just to acknowledge they've read it.

If Russians gracefully retreated because of that document, kind of weird that they left so many boobytraps. Not to mention that the document is dated April 15, whereas the retreat began in late March.

Yes, at best it is a premilinary term sheet or a statement of disagreements that needed government approval to be binding in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

You use differential equations to model literally anything and everything that changes in one way or another (eg, over time). In terms of modeling, differential equations is like “basic math”. It’s not a scary thing unless you’re afraid of Greek letters for some reason.

E: Do you need differential equations for controls systems? Yes probably. But you need “algebra” to “make a dirty bomb” as well.

drat those perfidious westoids using things like "math" and "algebra" !